• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Where does it say this? The rule clearly states that it does not stay active.

Hello. Bulbapedia's description of Destiny Bond isn't as precise as you take it so. I took the liberty of replicating a similar scenario in your case--which something uses Destiny Bond first turn and the opponent using a move that wouldn't hit and then the opponent outspeeds and KOs on the second turn: the effect of Destiny Bond is retained until the user makes another move. Therefore, since the Gengar hadn't had the chance to move first before you KO'd it, Destiny Bond was still active.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    Welllll guys, the glory of this debacle is that it's completely objective not subjective, and can be tested to a very definitive answer in game. Why not just boot up your X/Y, / Showdown and test it out?

I'll do it right now. I actually have a gengar with destiny bond. I know where I can get that scenario too.

None of my Pokemon have Destiny Bond. I'll have to train one to have it.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Also - my quick and simple question, does anyone know a place to EV train for Defense in X/Y through horde battles other than route 10 where you get hordes of Nosepass? I have a mold breaker Sawk with earthquake which eliminates the obnoxious Sturdy, but the rate of finding Yanma there is still perturbing.

A good place to go for Defense horde EV training in X/Y is Route 18; its all Geodudes and Durants there, both of which give Defense EVs. The only other Pokemon that appears in hordes there is Heatmor, but they're very rare. Just still bring your Mold Breaker Sawk along.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • A good place to go for Defense horde EV training in X/Y is Route 18; its all Geodudes and Durants there, both of which give Defense EVs. The only other Pokemon that appears in hordes there is Heatmor, but they're very rare. Just still bring your Mold Breaker Sawk along.

Thank you - I tried this today and it was exactly the kind of solution I was looking for, many thanks.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2015
    You can't rely on Bulbapedia for everything, you know. While they do their best to post the correct and up-to-date info, they may get things wrong.

This is from Banette's analysis on how Destiny Bond works:
    well, i prefer pokemon database. Sometimes, it doesn't have full information but it has a good interface. However, Bulbapedia wins the information part. i don't think people that creat a wiki have wrong information.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    What are some good stall-breakers this gen?

Actually, how do you fight stall? I've learned that I'm really really bad against stall teams.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • What are some good stall-breakers this gen?

Actually, how do you fight stall? I've learned that I'm really really bad against stall teams.

Magic Bounce from Mega Absol or Espeon reflects status moves back. Mega Mawile with Substitute also helps against stall; from behind the Sub. Swords Dance to amp up Mawile's Attack works too, in order to overwhelm the generally bulkiness of stall.

Prankster Taunt from something like Thundurus also helps prevent stall teams from setting up.

machupichu18

I like Cereal!
    Years
  • Whats a good moveset for a Sassy swoobat, a Quirky cradily and a recently released bold fancy vivillion

The reason why I'm so pcky is because its a event and the other two are shiny!
    Thanks in Advance!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Whats a good moveset for a Sassy swoobat, a Quirky cradily and a recently released bold fancy vivillion

The reason why I'm so pcky is because its a event and the other two are shiny!
    Thanks in Advance!

Honestly, Sassy is a waste of Swoobat's Speed, while Quirky doesn't do anything beneficial for Cradily. Leave them alone.

You could do a bulky Quiver Dance set for Vivillon, but you should've kept going until you get a +Speed nature that's not Jolly, since Volcarona does bulky Quiver Dancing better, since Vivillon is very frail, even with defensive investment:
    -Quiver Dance
    -Sleep Powder
    -Hurricane
    -Bug Buzz/Roost
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Compound Eyes

machupichu18

I like Cereal!
    Years
  • Honestly, Sassy is a waste of Swoobat's Speed, while Quirky doesn't do anything beneficial for Cradily. Leave them alone.

You could do a bulky Quiver Dance set for Vivillon, but you should've kept going until you get a +Speed nature that's not Jolly, since Volcarona does bulky Quiver Dancing better, since Vivillon is very frail, even with defensive investment:
    -Quiver Dance
    -Sleep Powder
    -Hurricane
    -Bug Buzz/Roost
    Ability: Compound Eyes

But what about hold hands for double battles?

machupichu18

I like Cereal!
    Years
  • ..... Wow, just wow
    So what is the best swoobat, cradily (okay its not shiny), sabeleye accelgor and sprirtzee moveset, I really want to use it in upcoming battle competitions, also what is the best sticky webber out there,

I know it's a lot but that's all I need to know, then I'm dunzo

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • ..... Wow, just wow
    So what is the best swoobat, cradily (okay its not shiny), sabeleye accelgor and sprirtzee moveset, I really want to use it in upcoming battle competitions, also what is the best sticky webber out there,

I know it's a lot but that's all I need to know, then I'm dunzo

Swoobat is kinda meh; it's outclassed by other Psychics like Alakazam, Lati@s and Deoxys, due to them having more coverage and power. But if you insist:
    -Substitute
    -Calm Mind
    -Stored Power/Psychic/Psyshock
    -Heat Wave/Air Slash
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Salac Berry
    Ability: Simple

Cradily:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Toxic/Rock Slide
    -Recover
    -Giga Drain/Energy Ball
    Nature: Bold/Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef

or
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk
    -Curse
    -Rock Slide/Seed Bomb
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef

Aromatisse (Spritzee is its pre-evolved form):
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Moonblast
    -Aromatherapy
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Ability: Aroma Veil

Accelgor (this set is best used on hyper-offense, but this team may not look like one):
    -Spikes
    -Encore
    -Bug Buzz
    -Final Gambit
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash
    Ability: Unburden/Sticky Hold

The best Sticky Web user out there is Shuckle because it's guaranteed to get one up with Sturdy:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Sticky Web
    -Encore
    -Infestation/Toxic/Knock Off
    Nature: Bold/Impish
    Item: Mental Herb
    Ability: Sturdy

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2014
    Raising my first competitive team?

Hey guys. So I'm headed off to college in a few months, and I have a feeling that there will be a formidable pokemon community where I'm headed. In preparation, I think it would be fun to have a competitive team on hand to be able to battle if/when the opportunity arises. Fourth generation would be my preferred generation for competitive play, so I would be playing on Pearl, if that makes any difference. Here's my dilemma, however...

Whenever I begin to search for "EV Training" or "Team Building" or "IV Breeding" I just feel overwhelmed with information. I really am having trouble finding valuable, detailed, and concise guides to how to build a team. Quite frankly, aside from a general idea of team composition and the extreme basics of IV's and EV's, I'm clueless at this point. Could anyone point me in the right direction, or just help me get started in the process of building a formidable competitive pokemon team on Pearl? (It would be vanilla Pearl on my DS by the way)

Also, do a decent amount of people still play 4th gen games? Or am I wasting my time?

Finally, should I put in a few dollars and pick up platinum, or does it matter?

Thanks so much!

Years
  • I know the feeling lol. Cant really help though. I assume you saw the Smogon's guide, there are many guides but they are all sort of complicated for people who just got or are trying to get into competitive.

Also I am currently playing Pokemon Platinum, for the first time, so you're not the only one.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Anybody know a good move set and Evs for a brave natured charizard, since I want to train it effectively and a hasty shell armor crawdaunt?
    Brave's not the best nature for a Charizard, but you could probably make do using the Mega Zard X bulky set:

-Charizard w/Charizardite X
    Nature: Brave
    Ability: Tough Claws
    EVs: 144 HP, 252 Attack, 112 Speed
    Moves: Dragon Dance, Roost, Dragon Claw, Fire Punch/Earthquake

Crawdaunt's not really worth using without Adaptability. Shell Armor's kinda a useless ability on any Pokemon too.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Thanks sounds like a good set and if doesn't work with crawdaunt I can breed for the better ability or use the capsule to switch abilities.
    Adaptability is Crawdaunt's Hidden Ability, so you can't use the capsule to change it to that.

If you do get one with Adaptability, you'll wanna roll with something like this:

-Crawdaunt w/Life Orb or Focus Sash
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Adaptability
    EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Aqua Jet, Knock Off, Crabhammer, Swords Dance

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back