• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Contest: PokéCommunity Team Hack-off: Results

Vote for your favorite

• Team 1: Mysterious Mysteries

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Team 2: Prof. Oak's Aide

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Team 3: Dark Destiny

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Team 4: Team 4ever!

Votes: 13 30.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020

PokéCommunity Team Hack-off

Four teams have been working for 2 months and have made a preview release of their hacks. Now it's up to you to vote for whichever you think is the best. We encourage you to try and play through all four of them before you vote. Note that some features are not yet implemented, and all four hacks are based on Fire Red.

Team 1: Pokémon Mysterious Mysteries

Storyline
    You are a young teen in a special school. The school is actually a detective/Spy school that trains young kids like yourself to be at their best potential for the International Police. Oh, you also happen to be young Looker! One day, your Professor gives you the normal orders of your mission. A routine check through the Mistor Forest and out to the Memorial Park's Manor and see what's making Lord Rix so upset. Normally a very crude and snobbish man, he is now paranoid after a break in. The tight security had been breached clearly, but as you search you go deeper into the plot of a mysterious line of cases, each connecting to the last. Stolen Pokémon, break ins, attacks, and all sorts of crimes are being committed for seemingly no reason. So, why are they doing this...?​

Features
    - Play as younger Looker(male only; female choice is still in though)
    - Starter is Croagunk(not yet inserted, current starter is Pikachu)
    - Badges have been replaced with Clues (may be a note, a footprint, etc)
    - New Region: Mystery Island. The currently input towns/maps are Mistor Town, Route 1, Mistor Forest, and the Lord Rix Memorial Park​

Screenshots
    AQqSGDI.png
    eTy5GVY.png
    4Exn2Px.png

Team 2: Pokémon: Professor Oak's Back-Up

Storyline
    Since the dawn of Pokémon games, our journies have begun with the wise words of a Pokémon Professor. And, in each Pokémon laboratory, there are a team of scientists, hard at work, assisting these Professors in their research; the Aides!

In 'Pokémon: Oak's Back-Up', play as Aidan, a promising young scientist with a passion for Pokémon. with no Pokémon of his own, Aidan follows the path of Pokémon research, rather than Training.
    One day, while hard at work in Professor Oak's Lab in Pallet Town, the Prof. himself approaches Aidan with a request. Another of Oak's Aides, Adrienne, has been away on a job, and it is taking her longer than expected to return. No need to worry; Adrienne's relaxed attitude is constantly getting her in trouble at the Lab. Nevertheless, Oak would like for Aidan to travel to the Sevii Islands to fetch Adrienne and return home, to get back to work. Choose from one of three special Starter Pokémon from the Sinnoh region, and embark on a brand new adventure through the Sevii Islands! For those of you who are interested in a timeline, Pokémon: Oak's Back-Up takes place two (2) years after GSC/HGSS, thus five (5) years after RBY/FRLG, when the Sevii Islands were first introduced.​

Features
    - New Story - Because it wouldn't be good without a new story.
    - 4th Gen Pokémon
    - Physical/Special Split
    - Fairy-Type - The nice and powerful Fairy-Type is included in this hack!
    - New Moves - All of the new moves from MrDollSteak's rom base.
    - New Abilities - MrDollSteak again.
    - Decapitalisation - MrDS.
    - New Tiles - No one likes the original FireRed tiles.
    - Plenty of Easter Eggs!​

Screenshots
    Dj4Hkzo.png
    fm8VLWl.png
    hDBIGgY.png

Team 3: Pokémon Dark Destiny

Storyline
    The gang and the hero end up working together to end a money driven government conspiracy, and that the hero wants to earn money to do something with his/her town, but then it evolves to doing something for the whole region. Also, the hero has friends that try to earn money in their own ways. One ends up joining the gang, and the other ends up doing something stupid that will help the plot.​

Features
    - Trainer Customization
    - HGSS Style TextBoxes
    - DPPt Font
    - Port of the BW2 Repel system
    - Updated Move sets For Pokemon
    - Updated move effects,base power and accuracy for existing moves
    - 131 new Generation 4 and Generation 5 moves
    - Physical/Special/Status Split
    - Decapitalisation
    - Running indoor
    - Fight the Devs!​

Screenshots
    bSVcDZQ.png
    3Jxxcy4.png
    OTg4kBK.png

Team 4: Pokémon Team 4ever!

Storyline
    The player takes on the role of a Hero who's born into a controlling family. His elders wish for him to work in village and not travel the land searching far and wide. Unhappy with the recent developments, our hero decides to run away from home. He raids the local [lab? we haven't decided yet] and steals a Pokemon and equipment. From then on, the Hero's criminal life beings. Join in on a thrilling adventure as our Hero evades the law and builds his own organisation, in an other wise peaceful region all while obtaining badges.​

Features
    - Level caps: Based on badges, the player can only control a Pokemon of X level. After a Pokemon exceeds level X, it will run away from the trainer's party (or stop gaining exp). This encourages the player to keep a well rounded team, and not train just a single Pokemon to carry them throughout the story.
    - Dual perspective: Play as the main hero, and a potential Lackey(or other character, undecided) with the hero recruits. Enjoy the story from two view points! It's a unique game play feature that no other hack has had before. We're excited to launch!
    - Own your own Gym: Own and maintain the reputation of your own secret gym by battling the occasional challenger. The player needs to accept challenges every now and then, upon winning a challenge, the player and the local GYM's reputation will go up. Soon everyone will be talking about the impossible to defeat Gym!
    - In game trading systems: Several fanatics in game will trade Pokemon based on type. You may find the Fire fanatic to be a part of the fire gym, and upon completion you can trade fire Pokemon with him. Like this, we will keep the game's original trading to evolve system by instead creating NPCs to solve the issues currently present with it!
    - Updated field moves: We decided to add more field moves, while they're not HMs and (probably) not required for the main story, we thought it would be neat to be able to (for example) use Sunny day on a rainy map to make it sunny. More moves like that will be usable in the BRM as we think of them. Stay tuned!
    - Menu Music
    - Forced saves​

Screenshots
    JA40P1S.png
    Water_zpsvcxzeusm.png
    Lv8634g.png

Years
    • Age 22
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 4, 2015
    Team 4 looks really cool, but so do all the rest. Will definitely go through all of them. All look amazing!

Sceptile90

The Master of YamiNoGames
    Years
  • I just finished Team 1's game, I think. There was nothing else I could do after I got to the manor. There were loads of NPCs without scripts, like lifeless people standing in the empty world. There were plenty of game-crashing bugs here as well. In the end, it was a good effort, but not really as good as I hoped. I'm going to start Team 2's hack and see how that goes.
    Edit 1: Just finished Team 2's hack. That was fantastic! I loved the story and the cliffhanger! Just one thing, in Kindle Road, the game randomly reset twice while I was in a battle. Just fix that and you'll have a phenomenal hack. I'm going to try Team 3's hack now.
    Edit 2: That was quick! I just finished Team 3's hack. It was great! I can't wait for the final release! I loved the character customization the most, good luck!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2017
    All 4 of these look amazing. I'm going to go try them now. :P
    Hopefully the creators will complete these no matter how the hack-off goes.

BlackStorm20x

Content Creator
    Years
  • I was excited for Team 1's hack because you can play as Looker, but there are so many NPCs without scripts and when we start, we gotta go here then there, then finally, there's nothing to even do. It seems that Team 1 didn't put any work into the hack. The hack is crap, tbh...Playing through my Team's hack just because, and then checking out Team 3's hack.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2017
    So far hack 2 and 3 really have my attention.
    Will play them more tomorrow to figure out which I like the best. :p

4 was interesting but after I escaped the village it seems I got teleported to tree hell. XD

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • Yes, team 4 is just 1 town. I couldn't be bothered to do all the work anymore and since no one was helping me out, I just didn't touch the ROM from there. Kudos to Dr.Fuji for graphic insertions, and everyone else on the team for uhhh... moral support :)

From the looks of the ROMs/screenies, team 2 and team 3 have interesting ones. Hopefully next time's competition is more fun!

btw, the routines in T4ever are open source:
    Code:
    Field Moves tables:
    @0845A76E: 7F0000 - Move IDS (1)
    @0845A788: 7F0060 - Launch pad routine, 0xD
    @0845a618: 7F0120 - BRM name, launcher
    @0845A37C: 7F0270 - HM description pointers
    @Field moves themselves go approx 700 bytes from 7F0270

Battle Frontier-style battles:
    @087F1070: Generate Opponent Party @flag 0x205 toggled
    @087F1140: Generate Player Party
    @087F1000: Non-legendary Validator
    @087F1540: Delete fainted
    @087F15C0: Metronome setter
    @

Pkmon Storage System:
    @087F1320: PSS
    @087F1430: Full Swap

Bag Restoration/Deletion:
    @087F11C0: Bag Backup
    @087F1230: Bag Delete
    @087F12A0: Bag Restore
    @087F12F0: Bag purge backup

Exp Disable:
    @087F14F0: Temporary Exp disable @flag 202 toggled

Own your Gym:
    @ forgot where I put this :)

Battle Modes:
    @087F1630: Battle by move ; flag 0x2FC Toggled
    @087F1690: Battle by move table
    @087F16C0: No whiteout

OAM stuff:
    @84FFA0 - 8503EC: OAM deletion, generation, wait button hack, OAM creation detection, and a bunch of other things I don't recall

Feel free to RIP and use.

Dionen

deprived of sleep
    Years
  • So my choices here were between Team 2 and "Team" 4.

It seems like Team 2 did pretty good together, and that they knew how to work with a group. The result was enjoyable! Nice story, nice maps, good scripting. Even though it didn't have amaaaaazing features they did a great job with what they had.

Oh, Team 4. You guys didn't realize how much this could have been the best one. The features are the best ones, the story is promising, but the rest turned out just meh. The scripting was kinda sloppy, too simple.
    Kudos to Fbi for doing what he does best: technical gameplay. Unfortunately, it was a team challenge and it turns out that the hack was not fun enough.

Also,
    Tnn4CHl.png

Definitely asm.

Last edited:
    Years
  • i think the team 2 did a great job. the story is good too. but, there are so minus point such as the game reset in some point (when i used brine) and the wild pokemon really hard to catch.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2017
    Hm, it was a very close decision between 2 and 3 for me but I'm voting 2.

Oh and pleeeeeaase finish 4. The option to become a gym leader is really interesting.
    I wanna be a water gym leader. :D

anonyboy

Pokemon Aerial Emerald Creator&Pokemon Hybrid Co-C
    Years
  • Well i've picked Team 3 but i wanna take reviews on all other hacks.

Team 1 - Pokemon Mysterious Mystery (I prefer Looker's Legacy)
    This hack had an incredibly appealing storyline, yet your scripting sucked and glitches appeared everwhere, you hadn't even inserted a Looker OW and locked gender into male, it all just seems so unprofesional
    This will get a 3/10
    Story - 10/10
    Graphics 0/10
    Gameplay 0/10
    Stability 0/10
    Inovation 2/10

Team 2 - Pokemon Oak's Backup
    This game was the 2nd best by my opinion, it has great graphics, an original storyline that kinda ties in with FR's Sevii Storyline, yet i've encounterd many Technical bugs that had interfered me playing this game. The hack had shown what is the results of great teamwork, i suggest you can take this project a whole lot farther.
    On a scale of 1-10, i'd give it a 7/10

Team 3 - Pokemon Dark Destiny
    This one was the longest i could play without having a glitch that interferd my Gameplay. A great storyline and great Joexv features like Outfits and such, the only thing i noticed hard is Croagunk, all the PKMN in the 1st areas are OP on Croagunk which makes the Gameplay with it a hard time while Gohita dominates pretty much everything, plus, fighting the devs is wayyyy OP from the levels you reach when you get to the 2nd city. To sum it up, kudos guys, you made me laugh a bit.
    From a Scale of 1-10
    8/10

Pokemon Team 4Ever
    Well the start was officialy the best one, there were some quirks in the game and living like a fugutive is my best liking of a Storyline, since it's an FBI Agent creation, tons of ASM, it stopped after I Stole the Fossil, which made me mad cause it's the start's Highlight and the mostly interesting part of the game.
    On a scale of 1-10
    7.5/10

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
  • Hey @Christos I just realized that most of team 3's story is not posted in op. I'm pretty sure I posted all of the story that Ihad in the old thread. Could you fix it here?

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • I'm trying to play all of the other teams hacks(are we allowed to vote?) but I'm very slow and only part way through Team 2's(I love it :D). I heard everyone saying that our hack(team 1) had so many glitches, but ut didn't before. Just checked out our game. Always check your new game before posting a patch to avoid embarassment. Oh well too late to fix that now? Anyhow I'm determined to get this finished even after the hack off, I'm sure tren is too. Hopfully we'll get better lol.

Looking forward to playing everyone else's hack!!!!! :D

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Hey @Christos I just realized that most of team 3's story is not posted in op. I'm pretty sure I posted all of the story that Ihad in the old thread. Could you fix it here?

I used the story in your team thread's first post.

I'm trying to play all of the other teams hacks(are we allowed to vote?) but I'm very slow and only part way through Team 2's(I love it :D). I heard everyone saying that our hack(team 1) had so many glitches, but ut didn't before. Just checked out our game. Always check your new game before posting a patch to avoid embarassment. Oh well too late to fix that now? Anyhow I'm determined to get this finished even after the hack off, I'm sure tren is too. Hopfully we'll get better lol.

Looking forward to playing everyone else's hack!!!!! :D

Of course you can vote! By the way the patch you provided was based on Fire Red v. 1.1 so I had to make another patch based on Fire Red v. 1.0 which is the version most people use for hacking. I don't think that would cause glitches/bugs but I suggest hacking Fire Red 1.0 instead.

Back