• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Worst Johto Pokemon

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
  • Anything to do with Johto I'm all over - the whole region and its aesthetic were some of the best things Nintendo and Game Freak ever came up with. I actually had to hop on over to Bulbapedia to see if there was any Pokemon I didn't like!

Hitmontop.

I hate it, I want it gone. Not only does it look nothing like its other evolution family members, I always was so annoyed by the way it presented itself upside-down. As of X/Y it now stands on its feet, but somehow it even looks MORE hideous. I appreciate Tyrogue branching the gap between the other Hitmon's, but ... this third evolution wasn't necessary. Please ret-con out of existence immediately.​

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Dunsparce, quilfish, and smeargle are among my least favorites. They're all so pathetic!

... granted, smeargle can learn any move possible, but it's still useless in my books.

Smeargle at least had the added bonus of being useful for breeding egg moves onto Pokemon in its egg group. I would put it in the same category as Pokemon like Ditto. Not necessarily something with the highest base stats, but useful for other reasons. That said, it isn't one of my favorites, either, though it's not at the bottom of my list.

I agree on Dunsparce and Qwilfish. Sunkern is pretty useless, too, though I suppose Sunflora is slightly better. I've never cared a whole lot for Delibird, either, though I guess it isn't as useless as something like Magikarp.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    We all know that Smoochum is just trying to be like Jynx! But besides that, I'd say Unknown if that counts? One of the most useless Pokemon in battle, even though they are cool and play an important part to Pokemon history. Gen 2 had a lot of Pokemon that dominate imo.

Years
  • Sneasel, a Dark-Ice with high physical attack stat, has crap for special attack stat meaning its STAB moves, which are SPECIAL ATTACK stat based for these games... do sad damage.

I really like the brown Sneasel sprite though.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2023
    I've mainly played past 6pm and so my least favourite would have to be Hoothoot.... Looks so dull and appears everywhere like some kind of night pigeon. Sprite design was so bad. They started my repel addiction...

Sirfetch’d

I don't dislike any of the Johto Pokemon honestly. They are all so amazing and fun to use! If I had to pick worst ones to use though, definitely the bugs of this game. Well, the early ones anyways, Ariados and Ledian were so useless to have on a team.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I can list a lot of them, but the spotlight goes to... The Sunkern family.
    Sunkern has a good design while Sunflora looks bleh.
    Their stats are unimpressive too, like their most Johto peers.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I can't think of any Pokemon I outright dislike in Johto, so I'm just going to go with the Pokemon that has the lowest BST, and I think it still does to this day for that matter: Sunkern

But the darn thing is so cute and its evolution Sunflora is one of my favorites so!!!

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • Delibird. Just awful.

As much as Gen II was my favourite generation, the Pokemon introduced in the Johto region were very hit-and-miss. When they got it right, they were awesome (Umbreon, Kingdra, Scizor, Heracross are some of my all-time faves), but there were a lot of very forgettable Pokemon (Dunsparce, Hitmontop, Qwilfish).

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I've always disliked Ursaring for some reason. I can't really explain why... Is it the shoulder-pads? The fact that it looks uninspired, like a cartoon bear with a circle drawn on its belly? Or maybe it's because Teddiursa is so darn cute, but loses that upon evolution. Maybe a collection of all these things? I sometimes try to get Shinies of Pokémon I dislike so I can start warming up to them, but I don't see that happening with Ursaring (its Shiny is one of my least-favorites).

Next to that would probably be Sunflora. I don't hate it, but I've just never really used it. It's one of those Pokémon that I sometimes forget exists.

kyuubi93

What a bother
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2018
    Caught an Aipom once thinking it would be a cool Pokemon to use. It got whooped so many times I had to pull it off the team because it wasn't going to contribute anything to my team or be able to do anything in the Pokemon League, much less Kanto and Mt. Silver. What can ya do :p

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    This thread has made me realize just how much I dislike a lot of Johto Pokémon, lol...

Dunsparce, Delibird, Remoraid/Octillery (wtf kind of evo line?), Natu/Xatu, Qwilfish, eh kinda Stantler. Honestly, Sawsbuck's introduction made me kinda really dislike Stantler because Sawsbuck was just that amazing it made me so disappointed in Stantler lol.

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
    Years
  • Could I dislike Legendaries?

If I can I disliked Lugia for some reason!

I am finding for years where is the Silver Wing, there is no WiFi in my days just why?

That was torture!

Years

I am finding for years where is the Silver Wing, there is no WiFi in my days just why?

That was torture!
    If you're discussing Pokemon Gold version, the way in which that was implemented could be a bit arbitrary, but it was also slightly elegant, in that the game did indicate it by having an old man figure in a similar placement give a tour of some city earlier, near the beginning of the game and such.

Honestly, quite liked the introduction of seemingly unused and out-of-the-way water Pokemon in Gold and Silver, which they didn't quite follow up with, also thought that Stantler was a fairly good example of a Pokemon associated with the night-time with its learnset and such at the time, didn't mind it per se. Otherwise, not a fan of Teddiursa, which doesn't necessarily seem to be doing much in the game, and at a certain point come off as the game being designed with new Pokemon without anything really motivating them, and Pokemon like Pichu and Elekid didn't seem to have much of any particular reason for their design, although it seems that under-implementation might have been more of an issue with Pokemon such as Espeon and a few dark types, they're around but don't really go anywhere mostly, feel that there were quite a few loose-ends leading into the next series of Pokemon games.

Years

That was torture!
    If you're discussing Pokémon Gold version, the way in which that was implemented could be a bit arbitrary, but it was also slightly elegant, in that the game did indicate it by having an old man figure in a similar placement give a tour of some city earlier, near the beginning of the game and such.

Honestly, quite liked the introduction of seemingly unused and out-of-the-way water Pokémon in Gold and Silver, which they didn't quite follow up with, also thought that Stantler was a fairly good example of a Pokémon associated with the night-time with its learnset and such at the time, didn't mind it per se. Otherwise, not a fan of Teddiursa, which doesn't necessarily seem to be doing much in the game, and at a certain point come off as the game being designed with new Pokémon without anything really motivating them, and Pokémon like Pichu and Elekid didn't seem to have much of any particular reason for their design, although it seems that under-implementation might have been more of an issue with Pokémon such as Espeon and a few dark types, they're around but don't really go anywhere mostly.

Last edited:
    Back