• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you want in a Pokemon Hack??

Zolt

Pokemon Hacker and Master
Years
  • Hey it's me Zolt! Some of you may remember and the rest of you obviously don't! I'm back, and want to start Pokemon Hacking again. But before I begin.. I would like to hear from all of you, "What exactly do you like in a Pokemon Hack?" Me personally, love the idea of Sidequests. I think it's an interesting turn for a Pokemon Game, and if scripted correctly, could turn a 78 hour game into a 150 hour game easily! On top of other ideas, having the choice of different starters than usual, (A.K.A. Dragon Types, All Starters available..) along those lines.
    But to get down to it, I wanna hear from you guys, what you want most in a Pokemon Hack? I will definitely reply to all of your inputs, because the people want what the people want, and I'm gonna give it to ya! My Hack is gonna be "Pokemon Shadow Version" (Down Below) the link will take you to an old thread of mine, but maybe you can look at it and get an idea of what kind of ideas I had in mind and let me know what you think!

Edit: Visit this Link for my new profiles thread on this same question.
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=372479

Last edited:

Al3x

Pokémon Fan
    Years
  • I agree with you, sidequests can be a lot of fun if scripted correctly, as for different starters it isn't a big deal for me. Anyways on with what I want most in a hack.
    I'll try to make this as short as possible,

1. Silent hero/heroine. I've played a few hacks with a talkative hero and some of the dialog goes on for a very long time.

2. A funny joke once and a while, maybe not in the main storyline but in a sidequest or random house? Pokemon Glazed has some great humor.

3. Not too many rivals. Rivals are nice but if you have like 6 different rivals I don't think it's really needed. Rivals are very special and having too many ruins it for me.

4. This is just my personal opinion but I don't like it much when Ash, Cyrus, etc are thrown into the main storyline. I think an original storyline with all new characters and a new region to explore is more appealing.

5. No one is a fan of HM moves. If possible having key items that replace HM would be nice or keeping the use of HMs to a minimum. Or make HMs not so useless like by making Cut the effect of flinching. That'd make cut the counterpart of the dark type move Bite. Giving Fly 90 power would be nice too as that is what it becomes in later generations while some hacks keep the power at 70.

6. Physical/Special Attack split. Pretty self explanatory.

7. If you're keeping the name Pokemon Shadow, It would be awesome to see a way to implement Shadow Pokemon since Pokemon Colosseum was one of my favourite Pokemon Games of all time. If it's too much to ask for that's completely understandable.

8. This isn't a biggie for me but I rather have everything decapitalized.

9. Having access to a day care fairly early in game. Like in Pokemon Gold you had access to one not long after the second gym.

10. Fairy type would be nice. Wasn't a big fan of it at first but it really completes the type chart in my opinion.

11. Interesting storyline and interesting history of region.

12. All the small things. I like to check bookshelves in random houses and trash cans in every house.

13. A custom hero/heroine sprite is nice too but I'd be fine with the default ones.

That's about all that I can think of off the top of my head.

AceRoku

Dev of Pokemon Flare
    Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2015
    It is really the storyline that captures the heart of players.

Also, Al3X is right. I like if the region where the story is based has a great history.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2015
    Ok this is my option but I soul like to see a rom hack that is long not like the other Pokemon games more then just defeating gyms then game done more to the game I like how light platinum put more rivals you can do that to and different starters the same old grass fire water things gets old fast and adding more effects like hms more evil groups to go up against and remake the map with different graphics this would be a good game please at tho thank you

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • I like the hacks that keep to the main formula, try to make it feel like a real game. Liek the 'silent hero/heroine', 'eight badges and League', etc. two or three rivals is nice, but I agree that too many is not good. And they should have different personailities. Make them act sorta like, say, Silver and Wally? One nice rival isn't that bad, especially if there's a mean one.
    Adding in new moves and other Gen VI mechanics is nice too, but those can be hard to implement sometimes.
    On the other hand, Dark Energy is a Gen II hack that acts sorta like Final Fantasy, and it's funny and great.
    The ones with multiple endings or in a series are cool oo, like Ruby Destiny.

Zolt

Years
  • I agree with you, sidequests can be a lot of fun if scripted correctly, as for different starters it isn't a big deal for me. Anyways on with what I want most in a hack.
    I'll try to make this as short as possible,

1. Silent hero/heroine. I've played a few hacks with a talkative hero and some of the dialog goes on for a very long time.

2. A funny joke once and a while, maybe not in the main storyline but in a sidequest or random house? Pokemon Glazed has some great humor.

3. Not too many rivals. Rivals are nice but if you have like 6 different rivals I don't think it's really needed. Rivals are very special and having too many ruins it for me.

4. This is just my personal opinion but I don't like it much when Ash, Cyrus, etc are thrown into the main storyline. I think an original storyline with all new characters and a new region to explore is more appealing.

5. No one is a fan of HM moves. If possible having key items that replace HM would be nice or keeping the use of HMs to a minimum. Or make HMs not so useless like by making Cut the effect of flinching. That'd make cut the counterpart of the dark type move Bite. Giving Fly 90 power would be nice too as that is what it becomes in later generations while some hacks keep the power at 70.

6. Physical/Special Attack split. Pretty self explanatory.

7. If you're keeping the name Pokemon Shadow, It would be awesome to see a way to implement Shadow Pokemon since Pokemon Colosseum was one of my favourite Pokemon Games of all time. If it's too much to ask for that's completely understandable.

8. This isn't a biggie for me but I rather have everything decapitalized.

9. Having access to a day care fairly early in game. Like in Pokemon Gold you had access to one not long after the second gym.

10. Fairy type would be nice. Wasn't a big fan of it at first but it really completes the type chart in my opinion.

12. All the small things. I like to check bookshelves in random houses and trash cans in every house.

13. A custom hero/heroine sprite is nice too but I'd be fine with the default ones.

That's about all that I can think of off the top of my head.
    Thank you so much Al3X for your input! You went into great detail and I agree with almost all of it! (The only thing not being the Shadow Pokemon, I think that should stick to Colosseum & Gale of Darkness. For that's why we love them so much!) All of your input will be definitely put into account. Also, you seem to know what your talking about, how would you like to help me with the hack itself? I could really use someone who has such good input, and organization. (Which I've learned you have from above) PM ME!

Zolt

Years
  • Two or three rivals is nice, but I agree that too many is not good. And they should have different personailities. Make them act sorta like, say, Silver and Wally? One nice rival isn't that bad, especially if there's a mean one.
    I really like what you guys are saying here, check out my old thread and see what I'm getting at. (You can find it in my tag) Especially a little ways down, I have all my Rivals planned out and you should check them out!

daniilS

busy trying to do stuff not done yet
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2024
    Speaking for myself, I can say there's basically three things that really matter for a hack: the graphical appeal, the engagingness and the distinguishing features. While most of the other things are based on personal preference or can be missed/ignored, you can't get around these three. The graphics is what you see the entire time, and while they do not need to be revolutionary, nobody likes ugly or monotone looking hacks. Engagingness is what keeps you playing, so you don't want a too excessive storyline or too many rivals, but you need some things that the player will find interesting or fun. As for features, for me that's the first thing I look at when viewing a hack's thread. They distinguish the hack from other hacks, and give the player the feeling of playing something new instead of a mere quickly-made modification. Features may be custom ASMAGIXAL routines, but they can also mean new approaches to existing mechanics or anything else containing creativity.

How you fill up these three points is up to you, but make sure you keep them in mind any time you're hacking. Most of the things mentioned so far fit in 'features', but remember to include some bigger enhancements too.

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2020
    im love all the pokemon games, just don't make players only grinding for levels, give the players some xcitement while take their journey instead of hunting the gym badge and complete thier pokedex. And also make sure players don't play for only to beat the game, provide a good storyline between the town or side quest that will attrack the players 😊

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2015
    I like the concept you have, but I'm a little scared at your current progress.

What do I want in a hack? I want to see someone with the balls and creativity to do something completely insane, something that would upset everyone who has commented on this thread, and then do it so well that your version is arguably superior. Remember that this audience you're polling is composed of pretty hardcore pokemon players. That isn't bad in any way, but if you only take ideas from a single demographic you're going to get slanted views.

Take the console RPGs for instance. There are no gyms. There's no rival. Nor are there moves needed to be used outside battle. You could count the amount of single battles on one hand. Routes between towns have been replaced by a fast travel system. There's not even tall grass! Yet the games are still awesome. It's not because they changed the game, but because they replaced current features with new ones that work just as well. They aren't as good the portable RPGs in every way, but they're better than the portable RPGs in some ways as well.

Guzv4

Stronger than ever!
    Years
  • My only passion is the story :p But if I had to be precise, I'd like to see a fire red sequel. Just like B/W had B2/W2. Some new towns and new areas in general, old characters aged, 2-3 new gyms and an epic new storyline. Nothing complicated, but sometimes less is more. :D

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Ooooh geez where do I start... I mean the question of what do I want in a Pokémon hackgame is basically exactly the same as what do I want in a normal Pokémon game, plusminus technical capabilities.

So... let's start with the obvious.

It is really the storyline that captures the heart of players.

Also, Al3X is right. I like if the region where the story is based has a great history.

My only passion is the story :p

Obviously, the story. Romhacks in particular use the same engine and most of the same assets than the normal games they originate from, so the first element that greatly distinguishes them from the competition and that it's very easy to add innovation for is the storyline.

On other things...

• I support AI3X in having everything decapitalized. We're not in 1999 anymore.
    • If possible, wider datasets and datatypes for Pokémon items and moves, in particular when it comes to the names. Again, we're not in 1999 anymore so we shouldn't have stuff like "PRZCureBerry" or having a "Normal Ball" and also a "CamelCaseBall". 18-20 characters limit for item names and location names should be a fairy sensible amount.
    • It's more or less standard feature by now, but some oldish features like Physical/Special split should be a given. Ditto replacing trade-requiring evolutions. Fairy type? Why not.
    • Substitute HMs for a different kind of overworld moves engine. I'd say try something like Golden Sun's, where there's a lot of ways to interact with the environment and those moves are designated by the job class / species / something and don't take room in the battle moveset. Give many moves ability to cause interaction. Vine Whip to cross a chasm? Ember to light up torches when you don't have Flash available?
    • More doubles / triples / tag battles, depending on what the engine supports.
    • The ability to choose from more than one starter set at the beginning of the story. Presumably the rival's choice would depend on your same set, too.
    • Speaking of rivals and stuff, make those kinds of opponents autoleveling, so that they remain a fair challenge to the player no matter what level you are at.
    • While following Pokémon is not a needed thing, if you're gonna have it please make people react to them, in particular if the mon following you is a rare Pokémon, a revered creature in your setting's myth, or one with world-rending powers.
    • Have a concept of missions or arcs that is followed in-game by some sort of journal, kinda like what FR/LG had, so that we can always know where we were or have a clue of what we are supposed to be doing.
    • Depending on what the art dept. is up to, cutscenes. But not of the pathetic current trend of "interrupt the current gameplay" or "press X to lift a finger" thing (aka "not a videogame but an interactive movie"); rather be it story / expository cutscenes at the beginning or end of each arc, kinda like the Ninja Gaiden games.
    • Make more of the world map available from the start in general terms, but not all of it - of course, getting to the best stuff would require learning particular moves or acquiring particular items.
    • if we're gonna have Legendaries make fighting them be a Worth It™ experience. Nowadays players are so well-prepared (and they soft-reset, too) that fighting a Legendary is just a glorified normal Rattata encounter with different music thrown into it. It should have more oomph to it, like with Final Fantasy special bosses. A roar, a woosh, and then you get into a special scene where it's two or three (depending on the engine) Pokémon against the legendary beast at once, and he gets the HP bar and the moves adjusted to compete against the combined might of your team. Like, having dual turn or different engage modes each with its own HP bar. And if it is possible to implement special mechanics, even the better.
    • Have a wider selection of Pokéball types available early in the game.
    • if the romhack is to have Gym Leaders and Elite Fours, make them not be transparent or useless in the story.
    • If working the romhack on G4, be careful with the save/load times :p
    • If possible to code it, remove the useless wait time between battle animations (say, losing HP from poison) and their slow ass-messages ("D'uh, you lose HP from the poison"). Again, 21st century stuff.
    • Throw lighthearted jabs at previous generations. "Cooltrainer" type, eternal save times, sludges that transform people when eaten, D/P's memetic translations, "your mom had a bad egg", all is fair game.

Also this:

One of my greatest grips with the latest two generations is that all trashcans are empty.

Zolt

Years
  • Everything you guys have said, has brought a great deal of attention for me in understanding exactly what you guys crave! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2015
    first I would make ice resist some more things like Dragon and also make Rock resist ground

I think it would be great if you made some pokemon like Luvdisc better. You could just be lazy and give it Gyarados' stats and moves but if you were good enough at hacking you might be able to give it your own stats and stuff

p.s I would give it a better ability like speed boost and raise its stats

xboxmandude

Rom Hacker
    Years
  • Ds Graphics
    High Difficulty
    Trading/Multiplayer... Some ROM hacks remove this....I play multiplayer
    No Fakemon
    More than 1 Region....(optional)
    Better Marts items.... (Max Revives, Ethers, etc)
    No Type Changes or Moves Edited....
    Some new moves Gen 4 + 5
    New Music...
    Day + Night
    All pokemon obtainable including evolutions in wild...
    Its just dumb that you can't find all the Pokémon in the wild...
    Gym Rematches
    Many Side quest and Story after the E4
    Side Quest/ Story For every Legendary pokemon
    Huge maps.... Like route 1 should be 4 times as long as it is
    More than one team of bad guys....
    Weather effects in some areas
    And please do a good story....
    Not the same crap that you r a noon trainer starting out again

Maybe something like you were travelling on a ship
    That sank and your pokemon all died... You washed up on the beach where the professor take you to the hospital and later gives u a pokemon...
    A story thats a bit darker and more realistic....
    It shouldn't be all sunshine and rainbows...
    People/Characters should die....
    Maybe a Game based on real world locations?
    Also the main objective shouldn't be to become the league champ....
    That's been the objective of every pokemon game ever...

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    Am I the only one who thinks that badly inserted 4-6 gen. Pokemon/moves/Fairy type absolutely ruin a hack? I like it when it's done well but when it's not (which, surprisingly, is actually quite a few times even though there are good patches out there) it kind of falls into a 'hacking uncanny valley' for me which messes up the experience. That;s why most of my hacks use a gen 3 engine with very few gen 4-6 Pokemon.

Also, another controversial ( ;) ) pet peeve of mine is good graphics for graphics' sake. I see a lot of hacks which look absolutely beautiful in terms of new tiles etc but are just not fun to play... I'd much rather play a well made hack with vanilla graphics than a badly made hack which just looks good.

Another controversy; I really like Fakemon. Always been a fan of seeing other peoples' creations like that, although I prefer it if the entire Pokedex is edited rather than just legendaries/starters.

Anyways, I'm about to get flamed, so I'm off. *flees*

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Am I the only one who thinks that badly inserted 4-6 gen. Pokemon/moves/Fairy type absolutely ruin a hack? I like it when it's done well but when it's not (which, surprisingly, is actually quite a few times even though there are good patches out there) it kind of falls into a 'hacking uncanny valley' for me which messes up the experience. That;s why most of my hacks use a gen 3 engine with very few gen 4-6 Pokemon.

Also, another controversial ( ;) ) pet peeve of mine is good graphics for graphics' sake. I see a lot of hacks which look absolutely beautiful in terms of new tiles etc but are just not fun to play... I'd much rather play a well made hack with vanilla graphics than a badly made hack which just looks good.

Another controversy; I really like Fakemon. Always been a fan of seeing other peoples' creations like that, although I prefer it if the entire Pokedex is edited rather than just legendaries/starters.

Anyways, I'm about to get flamed, so I'm off. *flees*
    I don't think any of these besides the fakemon is actually controversial at all.

When people talk about liking 4-6 gen mons/moves/fairy, they very obviously mean implemented well. Clearly implementing something poorly is...bad. But that goes for anything, so it goes without saying.

Even for the graphics, yeah a bad game with good graphics is bad. But it is still better than a bad game with bad graphics. There are many aspect to a game, and one feature being good doesn't imply another aspect being bad.

Overall, it sounds like you want the whole package, which I think most people would agree with, even if they don't directly mention the other parts of the package.

Last edited:
    Back