• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen How can electric attacks harm Tyrantrum?

Years
  • Last time I checked electric attacks couldn't harm ground type pokemon.
    Tyrantrum is an electric/dragon type.
    For dual-matchup types I was under the impression that as long as one of the types is unaffected by a move, that would take priority over the type

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Tyranturm is not part Ground, and is not Electric/Dragon, it's Rock/Dragon. Electric/Dragon is Zekrom and Mega Ampharos btw

Neither Electric nor Dragon is immune to Electric, they just resist it.

Guest123_x1

Tyrantrum is Rock/Dragon, not Ground/Dragon. Under normal circumstances, Tyrantrum resists Electric due to being part-Dragon, meaning it takes half the damage Electric moves normally deal. Pure-Rock gets normal damage from Electric. The only reason for this misconception dates back to Generation I, where most of the Rock-types were part Ground (Geodude/Graveler/Golem, Onix, and Rhyhorn/Rhydon). The only other Rock types that weren't part-Ground back then-the Fossil Pokémon from that era-were actually weak to Electric due to them being either part-Water (Omanyte/Omastar, Kabuto/Kabutops) or part-Flying (Aerodactyl).

If Tyrantrum were part-Ground, then yes, it would be immune to Electric despite the secondary type getting half damage. Same for Wooper, were it not for it being Ground, would be weak to Electric (part-Water).

(Darn it, I got ninja'd as I was writing this.)
    Neither Electric nor Dragon is immune to Electric, they just resist it.
    Additionally, Electric/Dragon would have double resistance (quarter the normal damage), same with Electric/Grass and Grass/Dragon. Works the same way as Water/Flying being doubly weak to Electric (four times normal damage).

Last edited:
    Years
  • Like the others said, Tyrantrum is Rock/Dragon so it resists Electric due to Dragon resisting it and Rock being neutral. The only sure immunity to Electric is a Ground-type or an ability that has an immunity to Electric, such as Motor Drive or Lightning Rod.

In 1st Gen it was confusing since every Rock-type from that generation was either weak to Electric (Aerodactyl, Kabuto line and Omanyte line) or immune (Rhyhorn and Geodude lines).

Years
  • Thanks guys

Sorry I meant to say that he is a rock/dragon. Not electric/dragon. Posted this in haste on the way to work and was just thinking about electric types at the time

I had no idea rock didn't nullify electric attacks for this long. That's pretty interesting since i've playing all games up to X at this point

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Yeah, there are some parts of the type chart that don't quite make sense. I can guarantee you that if you tried to electrocute a rock you found in your backyard it wouldn't do much lol

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I keep forgetting--is electric neutral to rock, or is it not very effective?

Years
  • I keep forgetting--is electric neutral to rock, or is it not very effective?

to help me rememeber now ive just been thinking about when ash beat brock's onix with pikachu near the beginning of the series (even tho the sprinklers helped him)
    cuz otherwise I'd just mix up ground and rock

UPDATE* onix is a rock and ground type...

Guest123_x1

to help me rememeber now ive just been thinking about when ash beat brock's onix with pikachu near the beginning of the series (even tho the sprinklers helped him)
    That was one of several occasions in the anime where the games' type chart was ignored/bypassed due to such variables (including the sprinklers) being played out in-show. Those kinds of things don't normally happen in the games. It's just like how Ash had Pikachu aim for Rhydon's horn, and in the first movie, Pikachu's Thunder knocked out all of Raymond's Pokémon, including a Golem.

Back