• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sound-types theoretical strengths/weaknesses?

BadgerLordZeus

Spooniest of Bards
Years
  • I'm currently working on a Fire Red mod, in which I'm gonna include a sound-type. So I was wondering what anyone would think its strengths and weaknesses would be?

EDIT. After a lot of thought and research, I decided to make up a chart.

Offensive Defensive
    2x Ground 2x Flying
    2x Fairy 2x Bug
    2x Electric 2x Dark
    2x Ghost 2x Ice

1/2 Water 1/2 Fighting
    1/2 Flying 1/2 Ground
    1/2 Sound 1/2 Fire
    1/2 Ice 1/2 Sound
    And everything else is neutral. So what do you think? Too powerful? Too weak?

Last edited:

PinkCatDragon

The 17 year old programer. Now byte off
    Years
  • Are you talking rom hack or Game Design because Rom Hack are not welcomed here
    If you talk game design tho
    Type Benefits Downsides
    WAV: Fastest Accurate Filesize
    OGG: Fast Not as Compressed as mp3
    MP3: Decenct load speed Patent Issues

Years
  • Sound type will probably have a weakness to electricity i guess, since electric disturbance often causes music to start making buzzing noises over it

It could also be super effective against Psychic type, since it will prevent them from focusing their mind.

That's all i got

PinkCatDragon

The 17 year old programer. Now byte off
    Years
  • Oh i miss understond the question
    Sound
    Weak to:Water,Electirtiy,Flying
    Strong Agiansted:Phychic,Bug,Steel
    Resistance to:Fire,Rock,Fighting,Normal (Sound is there but its hard to hit it like Ghost type but not)
    Types that have Resistance:Water,Rock,Ground

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Online now
    Moved to ROM Hacking as requested. Maybe there's some technical issues with adding a new type, I don't know.

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2014
    Weak to: Water, flying, electric
    Strong against: Fire, steel, psychic, fighting
    Resistant to: Fighting, sound, poison
    Resisted by: Water, ground, grass

Also is fairy type going to be in this hack? It wouldn't have any relation to sound but I'm just wondering if it will be there.

I can also see sound being super effective on flying if you think of that type as air rather than wind.

Last edited:

BadgerLordZeus

Spooniest of Bards
    Years
  • Also is fairy type going to be in this hack? It wouldn't have any relation to sound but I'm just wondering if it will be there.

YES! Well, thats the plan anyway. I was thinking of making fairy weak to sound just for the sake of balance, but we'll see.

Also, its definitely worth mentioning that when I said "currently" working on a fire red mod, I should have said "starting". I'm still VERY much a beginner and I'm learning as I go a long.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Are you talking rom hack or Game Design because Rom Hack are not welcomed here
    If you talk game design tho
    Type Benefits Downsides
    WAV: Fastest Accurate Filesize
    OGG: Fast Not as Compressed as mp3
    MP3: Decenct load speed Patent Issues
    I just had to say that this made me chuckle.

In my opinion, Sound Type should be:

Strong against:
    Ground - Sound travels quickly through solid material.
    Rock - Same reason as Ground
    Psychic - Same reason that Roaming Murkrow suggested in an earlier post

Weak Against:
    Dark - Because it's really quiet at night in the dark...
    Fighting - Fighters are always yelling, so it seems like sound shouldn't affect them very much...yeah

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I get the feeling that Electric and Bug would not be effected much by sound. Mostly because Game Freak likes to have fun and Electronics/bugs are always making buzzing noises. Flying could be strong against it too; people higher in the sky than you tend to not hear what you're saying and most of the damage done by sound is vibrations, which is the reason why Ground has no effect to Flying. Water can drown out sound, so it would be effective against sound. Obviously Soundproof is immune.

Also it would probably be introduced as "that thing that hits Steel/Ground/Rock/Ice for super effective" because it's sound and vibration, which can crumble bridges. I would actually expect Dark/Ghosts to be hit hard, because of something silly like yelling loudly helps drown out fear. That said, Dark/Ghost wouldn't be effective against Sound. Fighting isn't effective against Sound types, but sound moves do neutral damage (can't hit the wind, same reason why Fighting isn't effective against Flying).

All others would probably be neutral.

Now if this were put in an actual Pokemon game, I would expect a lot of good things to compensate for this already dismal outlook (competitively this isn't really all that great of a build outside of a probably really neat niche surrounding Dark/Ghost/Ground/Fighting, also keep in mind that this type is a sitting duck in the rain and after a certain ability so use weather smartly in your hack if you want sound to be cool). And I probably wouldn't mean "extremely powerful super move." Sound moves would probably have wide distribution for the sake of coverage, for example.

Last edited:

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I say sound is effective on bugs because certen sounds reple insects
    I don't mean to cause a fight, but...

An extra thing to note to my theorizing is how this works in the first place: most bugs can "hear" but not how we can. They sense vibrations through a pair of Tympanal Organs, including danger. This is (the way I see it) why Bug is strong against Ground in general: one can sense the incoming attack and get into a safer place.

In this way, the reasoning of how it's effective is the reason why it isn't effective. But ah well, to each their own. It is all theories after all.

Last edited:

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
  • Imo, this is how I, myself, would make up the sound type.

Sound Type:

Weak to: Bug, Ice, and Flying(x2)
    Resisted by: Grass, Ice, and Bug.(x.5)
    Immune to: Nothing(x0)
    Resists: Electric, Ghost, and Steel.(x.5, defensively)

Now along with this, I would also make a few altercations to other types, so it balances out:

Water would be weak to Poison
    Bug would resist Psychic
    Steel resistances date before 6th gen(meaning it resists Dark and Ghost once more)
    Electric is weak to Ice.

Okay let me explain why I made the changes I made(in my opinion, of course)
    1. Water needs to be nerfed, it only has two weaknesses, and a Water/Sound, would be cripled. Plus Dual water typings with little to no weaknesses(Water/Ground for example) either loses a resistance or gains a weakness.
    2. Bug needed a buff. Resisting Psychic, means it can easily counter Psychic types. Although it Psychic has a large weakness to Dark(as they can't hit them), they usually have moves, like Signal Beam or Focus Blast, which could easily counter. And the frail nature of Dark types, means they can't hit them, and Psychic is neutral to Ghost, so another weakness won't hurt them.
    3. Also Ice needs a buff. It only resists itself, so another resistance, gives them an upper hand too. Taking out Electric as well, is a nice step in the right dircetion. And i know, this would mean, they counter 6 types, but Ice types are usually frail and easily dealt with. Especially with fire types being common.
    4. Electric and Ghost needs a nerf. Electric has one weakness. And an Air Balloon, or Levitate(im looking at you Electrik) negates that one weakness(although not long with Air Balloon) Ghost needs a MAJOR nerf. They are usually VERY bulky(Sableye/Dusclops) or VERY offensive(Gengar/Chandelure) so giving them something to look out for, since sound moves are POWERFUL, wont be bad.
    5. With Steel, its obvious. Since it resists two types again AND is strong against Fairy, its better that it gets that weakness.

And plus it all kind of makes sense :)
    Weak to Bug: Bug uses vibrations and sounds to communicate
    Weak to Ice: Sound travels slower in colder environment
    Weak to Flying: Sound travels slowest in higher elevations(so the air :p)
    Strong against Steel: Sound travels fastest in Solid objects
    Strong against Electric: Sound is created through processes of Electronics. Ik it sounds backwards, but its a reason.
    Strong against Ghost: People use an array of tactics to track Ghost, one of them, is trying to personally communicate to them, or track traces of Sound.
    Resisted by Grass: Actually, idk. Just there to buff grass a bit.

Of course, these are my opinions, but its a suggestion.

BadgerLordZeus

Spooniest of Bards
    Years
  • Hey, all opinions and suggestions are welcome. Doesn't mean I'm gonna listen, but they're all welcome.

1. Water weak to Poison. I wholeheartedly agree; it just makes sense.

2. Bug resisting Psychic. Maybe, I don't know. I already nerfed fairy's resistance to Bug, and I'll probably do the same for Poison(just because its pretty strong now). But I'll stew it over.

3. Electric weak to Ice. Electric is already going to be weak to sound, and buffing Ice offensively will indirectly buff Water types as well, since almost every Water type can learn Ice Beam. But I'll definitely have Ice resist/strong against Sound.

4. Electric and Ghost nerf. Electric is weak to Sound already. Ghost makes sense too, so I'll add that.

5. Steel nerf. Eh, Steel kind of stinks offensively. And defensively, you have three of the most common offensive types (Fire, Ground and Fighting) for weaknesses and 5 neutralities (Electric, Water, Ghost, Dark, and I'll add Sound). Plus I'm kinda of biased (its one of my favorite types).

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I heard that sound travels faster in water than both in the air and on land.
    So yeah, just throwing that here~ :P

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2014
    Well in my post I said that sound would be strong against fire because certain frequencies can actually snuff a flame. There are plenty of videos of it on YouTube.

Also I have some comments on your type chart. Instead of being strong against ground, it should be strong against rock or steel. Sound travels through solid objects, so, since rock and ground are solid objects, it should be strong against them. Ground is not usually very solid anyways, as it often consists of dirt, sand, or soil, all of which are actually made up of many small particles and therefore are not affected by sound as much.

I don't really understand why fairy and electric are weak to sound, but it is reasonable in terms of type balance. I mean, there isn't any reason to me why that would happen other than for the purpose of balancing out the type chart, so those should probably stay.

I also don't understand why dark is strong against sound, because sound and light have no correlation to eachother (except in the case of the mantis shrimp, which snaps its claws so fast that the sound they produce also creates a flash of light and a millisecond long burst of 500 C heat). The point is, instead of being weak to dark, sound should be weak to either water or possibly even grass (since porous substances like wood or cotton would absorb sound).

So your type chart should be something like this
    Offensively Defensively
    2x Rock/steel 2x water
    2x fire 2x flying
    2x fairy 2x bug
    2x electric 2x ice
    2x ghost 1/2x fire
    1/2x water 1/2x rock
    1/2x ice 1/2x steel
    1/2x sound 1/2x fighting
    1/2x flying 1/2x sound

Also are pokemon with the ability soundproof going to be immune to sound?

Back