• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team rating, can i improve?

Neo_Angelo

Used Discharge!
Years
  • Ok, so i've gotten myself a team i think works rather well and is full of tankers (i love tanks) I want you guys to rate it, can you spot any major weaknesses or flaws in my team, and does the move sets i have work well?

So here goes:

Jellicent
    Cursed Body - leftovers
    5iv - Modest - (252 HP 126 SpAtt, 130 Sdef)
    Scald - Will-o-wisp - Hex - Recover

Umbreon
    Synchronize - Leftovers
    5iv - Careful - (130 HP, 126 Def, 252 Sdef)
    Toxic - Wish - Healing bell - Dark Pulse

Weezing
    Levitate - Black sludge
    5iv - Careful - (130 Hp, 252 Sdef, 126 Def)
    Stockpile - Fire blast - Will-o-wisp Pain split

Milotic
    Cute Charm - Leftovers
    5iv - Calm - (252Hp, 252 Sdef, 6 Def)
    Coil - Confuse ray - Recover - Scald

Lilligant
    Chlorophyll - Leftovers
    4iv - Timid - (158HP, 252 SpAtt, 100Spe )
    Sleep Powder - Quiver dance - Giga Drain - Hidden power (Ice)

Absol
    Super luck - Absolite
    6iv - Jolly - (252 Att, 252 Spe, 6 Hp)
    Sucker Punch - Psycho Cut - Play Rough - Stone Edge

Substitutes:

Cloyster
    Skill link - Razor fang
    6iv - jolly - (252 Att, 252 Spe, 6 HP)
    Icicle Spear - Rock blast - Razor Shell - Shell Smash

Breloom
    Poison Heal - Toxic Orb
    6Iv - Jolly - (252 Att, 252 Spe, 6HP)
    Spore - Drain Punch - Seed bomb - Fling

Heres a bit around why i've done what i've done with a few pokemon i know you'll be like "Why the hell did you do that and not ....."

Milotic - I chose cute charm because its a high risk, high reward. If i'm against a male pokemon (quite often i am) its 33% chance to infatuate, now what is Milo's lowest stat? Defense! so with scald it halfs the attack, Infatuation is 50% chance to hit me at all, and confuse ray is there for additional stopage of attacks and chance to do damage to themselves. While they are confused and infatuated i then just do a load of Coils to raise defense and accuracy and Milotic becomes a complete wall. I find this to be better than marvel scale in my opinion as you don;'t have to worry about constant health drops.

Jellicent - i went cursed body over water absorb as who is going to use water against a water pokes? plus if they use an electric move, theres a chance they wont be able to use it again for a while. I ran Scald AND will-o-wisp just incase i go against a fire mon who cannot be burned (plus STAB) and Hex is absolutely beast if they are burned (Base 120 power + STAB + HP drop from burn = DEATH)

Cloyster - I know most of you are like WTF why no choice scarf, well thats my sub in item, i use razor fang as with icicle crash and rock blast its like 40%+ to flinch, ontop of a 10% flinch chance with razor shell, which comes in VERY handy if you don't OHKO your opponent)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    While it is being a wall and walls aren't know for their offensive prowess, Dark Pulse is really, really weak on Umbreon when its Sp.Attack is it's lowest stat and is running a -SpA nature and presumably doesn't have perfect SpA IVs. Foul Play or even Payback would be better options.

Swords Dance might be something to consider on Mega Absol to break opposing stall teams, especially if you aren't packing Cloyster too. Idk if Stone Edge does anything important for ya really, and Magic Bounce+base 160 Attack+Swords Dance is not fun for stall to face.

Cloyster - I know most of you are like WTF why no choice scarf
    I don't think anyone's ever used Choice Scarf Cloyster lol

You went the right way by giving it Razor Fang instead.

Neo_Angelo

Used Discharge!
    Years
  • While it is being a wall and walls aren't know for their offensive prowess, Dark Pulse is really, really weak on Umbreon when its Sp.Attack is it's lowest stat and is running a -SpA nature and presumably doesn't have perfect SpA IVs. Foul Play or even Payback would be better options.

Swords Dance might be something to consider on Mega Absol to break opposing stall teams, especially if you aren't packing Cloyster too. Idk if Stone Edge does anything important for ya really, and Magic Bounce+base 160 Attack+Swords Dance is not fun for stall to face.

I don't think anyone's ever used Choice Scarf Cloyster lol

You went the right way by giving it Razor Fang instead.

I gave Umbreon dark pulse just for the flinch chance really, however since its not particularly fast payback would be a better option as suggested, i might have to go teach it that.

Sword dance on Absol i had contemplated however due to Absols pretty crappy def and Special defense stats, it doesn't take a hit well, so if i tried to sword dance i'd end up dead next turn. The reason i have stone edge is for the high crit + Super luck, and its not really expected when i swap it in to take out flying or fire, one of the main reasons i had it on him was for taking out mega charizards, plus it has good base damage and is physical too.

I always thought people used choice scarf cloysters to outspeed most things to get in either rock blast or icicle spear first. I find that its very rare i get to power up with shell smash anyway.

Thank you for the suggestions.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I gave Umbreon dark pulse just for the flinch chance really, however since its not particularly fast payback would be a better option as suggested, i might have to go teach it that.

Sword dance on Absol i had contemplated however due to Absols pretty crappy def and Special defense stats, it doesn't take a hit well, so if i tried to sword dance i'd end up dead next turn. The reason i have stone edge is for the high crit + Super luck, and its not really expected when i swap it in to take out flying or fire, one of the main reasons i had it on him was for taking out mega charizards, plus it has good base damage and is physical too.

I always thought people used choice scarf cloysters to outspeed most things to get in either rock blast or icicle spear first. I find that its very rare i get to power up with shell smash anyway.

Thank you for the suggestions.
    Seems like a UU team to me.

IMO, I'd rather have Florges over Umbreon so that you don't have type overlap with Absol:
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Moonblast
    -Aromatherapy/Toxic
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 252 HP/232 Def/24 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

Stealth Rock is a staple in competitive play because it damages all Pokemon upon switching in; the amount of damage done depends on the Pokemon's type. Donphan is a bulky Stealth Rock setter you can turn to:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Knock Off/Toxic/Roar
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Ability: Sturdy

Here's a better take on Jellicent. What purpose do the Special Attack EVs even serve in the first place? The below Speed investment allows this Jellicent to outspeed 0 Speed base 65s:
    -Scald
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Recover
    -Taunt
    EVs: 252 HP/212 SDef/44 Spe
    Ability: Water Absorb

Stockpile isn't worth it on Weezing because it makes it a critical hit magnet and setup bait alongside Swords Dance/Nasty Plot attackers (especially Mega Houndoom):
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Sludge Bomb/Flamethrower
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Pain Split/Haze
    Nature: Bold
    Item: Black Sludge

Coil is useless on Milotic because not only is its Attack terrible, but your current set lacks any physical moves to make use of the Attack boost; that, and Milotic will still be setup bait. Cute Charm is also a bad ability because it's gender-matchup-dependent, and the gender aspect of Pokemon is very random, even though some Pokemon are all-male or all-female. Marvel Scale is, and always will be, the better ability to turn to, as even though Milotic is worn down faster by burn or poison, the Defense buff will make it harder for physical attackers to break it. It would be preferable for Milotic to be paralyzed, though. The below set has Haze or Dragon Tail as options to discourage opponents from setting up on Milotic. Also, confusion is a bad status ailment to throw around, as it can be easily be cured by switching out:
    -Scald
    -Ice Beam
    -Toxic/Haze/Dragon Tail
    -Recover
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
    Ability: Marvel Scale

I don't think Lilligant is worth it because while it has the threat of Sleep Powder to make setting up Quiver Dance easier, it gets easily walled by Steel Pokemon or Fire Pokemon, depending on what Hidden Power type you opt for. Since this team is about tanks, I think Chesnaught will get the nod ahead of Lilligant because of its good physical bulk and support options:
    -Spikes
    -Leech Seed/Synthesis
    -Wood Hammer/Drain Punch
    -Spiky Shield/Roar
    Ability: Bulletproof

Relying on critical hits is an inconsistent strategy because fishing for crits doesn't pair well with (Mega) Absol's frailty. That, and Absol will lose one of its regular abilities in favor of Magic Bounce when it Mega Evolves. That being said, Stone Edge and Psycho Cut aren't useful, and Absol should make use of the buffed Knock Off to get rid of items:
    -Swords Dance
    -Knock Off
    -Sucker Punch
    -Superpower/Play Rough
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Absolite

Or, if you don't like the aspect of setting up, here's a mixed/all-out attacking set:
    -Sucker Punch
    -Knock Off
    -Play Rough/Superpower
    -Fire Blast/Superpower
    Nature: Naive/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe

I assumed this is a UU team, given that the vast majority of your team members are from that tier. Breloom is an OU Pokemon, so you'll have to find something else for that slot.

Neo_Angelo

Used Discharge!
    Years
  • Seems like a UU team to me.

IMO, I'd rather have Florges over Umbreon so that you don't have type overlap with Absol:
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Moonblast
    -Aromatherapy/Toxic
    EVs: 252 HP/232 Def/24 SDef

Stealth Rock is a staple in competitive play because it damages all Pokemon upon switching in; the amount of damage done depends on the Pokemon's type. Donphan is a bulky Stealth Rock setter you can turn to:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Knock Off/Toxic/Roar
    -Rapid Spin
    Ability: Sturdy

Here's a better take on Jellicent. What purpose do the Special Attack EVs even serve in the first place? The below Speed investment allows this Jellicent to outspeed 0 Speed base 65s:
    -Scald
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Recover
    -Taunt

Stockpile isn't worth it on Weezing because it makes it a critical hit magnet and setup bait alongside Swords Dance/Nasty Plot attackers (especially Mega Houndoom):
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Pain Split/Haze

Coil is useless on Milotic because not only is its Attack terrible, but your current set lacks any physical moves to make use of the Attack boost; that, and Milotic will still be setup bait. Cute Charm is also a bad ability because it's gender-matchup-dependent, and the gender aspect of Pokemon is very random, even though some Pokemon are all-male or all-female. Marvel Scale is, and always will be, the better ability to turn to, as even though Milotic is worn down faster by burn or poison, the Defense buff will make it harder for physical attackers to break it. It would be preferable for Milotic to be paralyzed, though. The below set has Haze or Dragon Tail as options to discourage opponents from setting up on Milotic. Also, confusion is a bad status ailment to throw around, as it can be easily be cured by switching out:
    -Scald
    -Ice Beam
    -Toxic/Haze/Dragon Tail
    -Recover

I don't think Lilligant is worth it because while it has the threat of Sleep Powder to make setting up Quiver Dance easier, it gets easily walled by Steel Pokemon or Fire Pokemon, depending on what Hidden Power type you opt for. Since this team is about tanks, I think Chesnaught will get the nod ahead of Lilligant because of its good physical bulk and support options:
    -Spikes
    -Leech Seed/Synthesis
    -Wood Hammer/Drain Punch
    -Spiky Shield/Roar

Relying on critical hits is an inconsistent strategy because fishing for crits doesn't pair well with (Mega) Absol's frailty. That, and Absol will lose one of its regular abilities in favor of Magic Bounce when it Mega Evolves. That being said, Stone Edge and Psycho Cut aren't useful, and Absol should make use of the buffed Knock Off to get rid of items:
    -Swords Dance
    -Knock Off
    -Sucker Punch
    -Superpower/Play Rough

Or, if you don't like the aspect of setting up, here's a mixed/all-out attacking set:
    -Sucker Punch
    -Knock Off
    -Play Rough/Superpower
    -Fire Blast/Superpower
    Nature: Naive/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe

I assumed this is a UU team, given that the vast majority of your team members are from that tier. Breloom is an OU Pokemon, so you'll have to find something else for that slot.

I don't really play using Smogon rules to be honest, i don't really know what they all mean, i basically chose this team because it uses some (i believe) decent pokemon that aren't in the overpowered area (talking base stats of 550+)

Thank you for taking the time to write out all of your suggestions, I feel i should explain a little more as to why i've done what i've done:

-Scald
    -Ice Beam
    -Toxic/Haze/Dragon Tail
    -Recover

With Milotic, i've gone for coil simply for the defense buff, basically it was the only move that buffs defense that Milo can learn. I use cute charm over marvel scale because i'm not a fan of my own pokemon being hindered, with burn or toxic i'm constantly worrying about if i get criticaled, will the burn or toxic finish me off, with paralysis i'd be worried about losing a turn. with Cute charm it is a little hit and miss but has 0 downside, but i used Confuse ray in there to counter any females (basically Milotic is my staller) Scald is there to burn, confuse ray is there so i can safely set up coils, or force a switch and cute charm removes physical attackers for 50% of attacks. In my opinion (i'm not saying im right) but this fits Milotic better for the way i use it as although it takes a bit of time to set up, if you get coil off a few times your benefiting from +1 to 6 defense boost which can be better than marvel as there's no hindering factor, plus you are also getting an accuracy boost (not that you need it but i suppose its nice in case someone increases evasion or lowers your accuracy). With Toxic and scald, they are two status affects that would render the other useless, if i burn i can't poison and vise versus, my team revolves around burning and ruining any physical attackers while completely walling special attackers with high Special defense.

-Toxic Spikes
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Pain Split/Haze
    With Weezing i went stockpile to boost both defense and special defense to +3 making weezing very bulky, does stockpile increase the likely hood of receiving a crit? i chose fireblast to cover any steel pokemon that'd come in and nullify weezing as poison attacks don't affect steel well, however will swap it for flamethrower for more PP and better accuracy.

-Scald
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Recover
    -Taunt
    Forgive me if i'm wrong here but i figured raising Jellicents Special attack would increase damage of Hex and scald, Jelly is pretty bulky anyway so i've never worried about outspeeding (in my mind the idea of tanks are to hit hard and take hits at the cost of being slow as hell). so that was the reason for that, i found using cursed body more useful as it disabled the use of an attack, lets say they have one super effective move against you and its disabled, you'll last longer. i personally don't feel water absorb really helps as not many people are going to be using a water attack against a water pokes.

-Spikes
    -Leech Seed/Synthesis
    -Wood Hammer/Drain Punch
    -Spiky Shield/Roar
    I do like the idea of chesonaught, i will have to work on getting one and using your method for that, it could be a good substitute for Lilligant.

-Swords Dance
    -Knock Off
    -Sucker Punch
    -Superpower/Play Rough
    I find that due to Absols god aweful defenses that it usually dies before it has chance to use an attack after a sword dance, thats why i don't use it, As i mentioned i used stone edge to take advantage of the high crit chance when absols in normal form, this gives me an element of surprise when i face flying or fire mon's however i do like the idea of knock off as i could use a mon with it to remove the opponents items. so good call on that.

As for Psycho cut, i was using it to combat any Fighting types that Absols weak too or poison, it gives a bit of coverage as Play rough is crap against poison. I don't think super power would be very useful as most mons swapping in to beat absol will have a resistance to fight (Fight, Fairy, Bug etc) plus the stat drop wouldn't be fun.

I think i will either replace Psycho-cut or stone edge with knock off as you suggested.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    does stockpile increase the likely hood of receiving a crit?
    No, but crits bypass defensive boosts and Pokemon can get really haxy at times, so that's why he said that "Stockpile makes Weezing a crit magnet".

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • You can't rely on hax. Your whole team wins or loses whether or not you have good luck. Listen to Platinum's suggestions.

There is no downside to marvel scale. What if you are statused with cute charm? At least with marvel scale you are less likely to gain a status effect because people know you have the defense buff.

Dont run stockpile on weezing. Other than the fact it will be a crit magnet (that ignore defenses!), it does not have the most reliable recovery. His recovery depends on how much damage the opponent can do to him with pain split, and they won't be doing much to him because of the stockpile. Plus, toxic spikes is the better option because you are kind of running a stallish team. And I would run flamethrower over sludge bomb, but thats just me. you beat fairies anyway, and you can now beat steel AND grass.

Run SD on Absol. Most pokes can tank 1 hit, and you can just SD on a predicted switch or on a week mon. Plus, you should have sucker punch to kill off those that out speed you. Again, YOU WONT GET THE CRIT with Absol. You are contradicting yourself with that logic lol. Plus, stone edge has a good chance to miss and it and psycho cut aren't even STAB...

Neo_Angelo

Used Discharge!
    Years
  • You can't rely on hax. Your whole team wins or loses whether or not you have good luck. Listen to Platinum's suggestions.

There is no downside to marvel scale. What if you are statused with cute charm? At least with marvel scale you are less likely to gain a status effect because people know you have the defense buff.

I thought the defense buff was only if you were burnt, poisoned or paralysed? i didn't think immobilized by love counted (so in effect cute charm/attract against a milotic is a good counter for it, thus also having that ability surely would counter that counter?) in battle using this technique my Milotic generally sweeps aside most things.

Dont run stockpile on weezing. Other than the fact it will be a crit magnet (that ignore defenses!), it does not have the most reliable recovery. His recovery depends on how much damage the opponent can do to him with pain split, and they won't be doing much to him because of the stockpile. Plus, toxic spikes is the better option because you are kind of running a stallish team. And I would run flamethrower over sludge bomb, but thats just me. you beat fairies anyway, and you can now beat steel AND grass.

Hmm that makes sense i guess, didn't really think of it that way, basically weezing had stockpile to stall out burn rather than for Pain split HP recovery, that was there just in case. the way i was thinking was boost my stats to stall out burn, if i got low on HP i'd pain split the moment they swap out or their pokemon goes down, that way i'm garenteed to get a good amount back. therefore covering a few more area's.

Run SD on Absol. Most pokes can tank 1 hit, and you can just SD on a predicted switch or on a week mon. Plus, you should have sucker punch to kill off those that out speed you. Again, YOU WONT GET THE CRIT with Absol. You are contradicting yourself with that logic lol. Plus, stone edge has a good chance to miss and it and psycho cut aren't even STAB...
    I'm not going for criticals with absol, only if i'm using stone edge, basically if i'm against a flying pokes or fire, i'd use absol and not mega evolve it, i know psycho-cut isn't stab it was just for coverage (being weak to bug and fighting, whats fighting and bug both weak too.....Psychic) but those moves are when i do mega evolve it.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • You only get the defense buff if you gain a status effect. People will not want to status you because of fearing the marvel scale. It is better to have boosted defenses when statused than not. Plus, if you are about to be burned you can just switch into it or vice versa. You won't be T-waved, so you have the possible free switch into an offensive mon.

Flying and fire pokes are frail anyways and will die after an SD anyways. Stone edge is too unreliable, especially for coverage you dont need on the poke. Stone edge is better on a ground type for example, because flying is immune to their ground type STAB. At least psycho cut covers absol's fighting weakness.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I thought the defense buff was only if you were burnt, poisoned or paralysed? i didn't think immobilized by love counted (so in effect cute charm/attract against a milotic is a good counter for it, thus also having that ability surely would counter that counter?) in battle using this technique my Milotic generally sweeps aside most things.

Hmm that makes sense i guess, didn't really think of it that way, basically weezing had stockpile to stall out burn rather than for Pain split HP recovery, that was there just in case. the way i was thinking was boost my stats to stall out burn, if i got low on HP i'd pain split the moment they swap out or their pokemon goes down, that way i'm garenteed to get a good amount back. therefore covering a few more area's.

I'm not going for criticals with absol, only if i'm using stone edge, basically if i'm against a flying pokes or fire, i'd use absol and not mega evolve it, i know psycho-cut isn't stab it was just for coverage (being weak to bug and fighting, whats fighting and bug both weak too.....Psychic) but those moves are when i do mega evolve it.

You only get the defense buff if you gain a status effect. People will not want to status you because of fearing the marvel scale. It is better to have boosted defenses when statused than not. Plus, if you are about to be burned you can just switch into it or vice versa. You won't be T-waved, so you have the possible free switch into an offensive mon.

Flying and fire pokes are frail anyways and will die after an SD anyways. Stone edge is too unreliable, especially for coverage you dont need on the poke. Stone edge is better on a ground type for example, because flying is immune to their ground type STAB. At least psycho cut covers absol's fighting weakness.
    To add, Marvel Scale only activates when Milotic is asleep, burned, paralyzed, frozen and poisoned. It won't work when Milotic is confused or infatuated. Infatuation is a bad status ailment because it's very dependent on gender. This makes Attract and Cute Charm useless and situational. Besides, Cute Charm only activates 30% of the time. As I already mentioned, Coil is pointless on Milotic if you don't take advantage of the Attack boost. The above set I posted makes Milotic less likely to be set up on. Don't forget of the possibility that the opponent will set up alongside Milotic and eventually overwhelm it, especially ones that use Swords Dance. I feel I should explain why Toxic, Haze and Dragon Tail are the superior options over Coil. Toxic puts opposing walls on a timer, as that kind of poison will wear them down faster the longer they're in battle, Haze outright removes all stat changes, while Dragon Tail forcefully switches out non-Fairy targets for a new one; this especially works well with entry hazards. The latter two options discourage opponents from setting up on Milotic and are more reliable and consistent at preventing Milotic from being setup bait.

Play Rough already covers Absol's Fighting weakness. It's stronger than Psycho Cut, making Psychic coverage unnecessary. Superpower also lets Mega Absol land a harder hit on Steel Pokemon. See the above sets I posted, as both sets have better coverage together. Besides, Flying and Fire Pokemon don't like losing their items to a Knock Off coming off of 150 Attack anyway. Also, Absol is one of those Pokemon that Mega Evolves ASAP. It shouldn't hold back on Mega Evolving just for the sake of scoring "cheap" critical hits on opponents. The reason why is because regular Absol's Speed is rather mediocre, and that stat is improved significantly when it Mega Evolves. Sucker Punch is also a necessity on it to let it get the jump ahead of faster and weakened targets; this takes advantage of Pokemon that try to prey on Absol's frailty.

Neo_Angelo hit the nail on the head about Weezing. Not only does Stockpile make Weezing a critical hit magnet, but it also makes it setup bait for setup attackers, especially ones that don't care about burn. It also takes up a move slot that would've gone to a better support option. Refer to the above set again.

While Cursed Body is a usable ability on Jellicent, Water Absorb is still the preferred ability to let it get extra recovery if it switches into a Water move, especially Scald; while Jellicent's damage output isn't hindered by burn, the passive damage from that status will wear it down faster, even with Leftovers. Taunt is there to stop slower walls from setting up on Jellicent.

Neo_Angelo

Used Discharge!
    Years
  • What ill do, is work on the mons you have suggested, and compare them with mine, ill battle with both and see what results I get. I do agree with the stone edge, ill take that off for knock off.

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it

Last edited:
    Back