• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] '[Idea]' threads in the 'progressing games' forum.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2022
    Up until recently, games had to actually be in development to get a 'progressing games' thread approved. The forum as it is now is inundated with [idea] threads that frankly have very little to offer, and will not likely make it off the ground. This is effectively dragging down the quality of the forum, and distracting from games that are much more deserving of the publicity. Of course we can't stop people from posting about the 100% original and innovative game ideas they have entirely, but keeping them contained to the stickied ideas thread seemed to work up until recently. Why the change?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    If a game project is so deserving of attention, it should be good enough to be in the Showcase section.

I did consider your points when I changed the rules to allow [Idea] threads again. However, previously it was harder for new projects to get off the ground, and there was minimal response and feedback given to ideas posted in the stickied thread which is unfair. There are some kinds of games which would have been impossible to post about ever, such as crowd-sourced development games.

I'm not sure how allowing [Idea] threads for game projects is "dragging down the quality of the forum". They exist only in one section, and there is another section specifically for game projects that stand out. So what if some idea threads will die? There are plenty of heavily developed game projects that also die never producing anything playable. We can demand a higher quality of the projects in the Showcase section, but I won't be elitist about the contents in the section that's specifically for projects that are just starting out.

Back