• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Bianca or Cheren?

Bianca or Cheren?

• Bianca

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • Cheren

Votes: 19 45.2%

• Total voters
Years
  • The Unova region introduced two new rivals to the world of Pokemon: Bianca and Cheren! Which of these rivals do you like most and why? Did you feel they had enough depth to be considered rivals in Black & White? What do you think of their B/W2 counterparts; were they done justice as characters?

Spr_BW_Bianca.png
    Spr_BW_Cheren.png

Spr_B2W2_Bianca.png
    Spr_B2W2_Cheren.png

Years
  • I liked both these characters, but my vote went to Bianca since has a really notable case of development compared to Cheren. The fact she wasn't sure she would be able to catch up to you or Cheren in terms of strength made her think if she should consider a different path, and then come B2/W2 she becomes Professor Juniper's assistant.

Plus Bianca is super-adorable, so definitely another reason why I loved her.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Cheren because I didn't really like Bianca's personality that much. Honestly I haven't played the games in a while, so I'm just going off of what I remember, but I respect rivals a lot more if they are also into battling and aren't on a journey to "find themselves" or whatever, because I always think that's just thrown in there for the kids :P Plus, I really liked watching Cheren's progression from regular beginning Trainer to Gym Leader.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I always liked Cheren. He comes off a little stuck up sometimes, but I don't really mind. I like his design a lot in BW, but not so much in BW2. Opposite case for Bianca. I hate her design in BW, but love it in BW2. I still prefer Cheren to her because I just find Bianca really obnoxious. Plus, Cheren is one of the few gym leaders in the game that actually gives me a run for my money. When I replay BW2, it's usually for a challenge so I'm stuck using only my starter until my first party member for my challenge pops up and he wipes me out...at least twice, lmfao. So I gotta give credit where credit is due and he is a bit difficult for that part of the game, especially with no back up. Hell, I've lost to him with back up. So yeah. Cheren it is!

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Cheren for me. A bit generic but he can be likable at times even if his team is crappier than a 2 girls 1 cup encore.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Cheren by far. He's a bit bland, but I liked his simplicity. Bianca for me was just a really bad copy and paste of Barry tbh. :(

Nakala Pri

Even though Cheren is sexy and intelligent, I'll go with Bianca. She has spirit, cool Pokemon, nice fashion and she fought against the odds. (Especially her annoying dad!)

Plus she doesn't know what she's searching for and she finds it. I know that sounds weird but that's another massive reason why I love her.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • I've always preferred Bianca. I wasn't a massive fan of Cheren's personality and design. On the other hand, I think Bianca is really funny and I like her design as well (although I remember thinking she looked like a frog when her sprite was first seen...). I really like the ditzy music that plays in BW when you battle her too, it really suits her.

Years
  • I liked Bianca more than Cheren. Cheren was kind of boring to me, while Bianca was full of energy and fun to encounter most of the time. I really do like how they expanded on both these characters in BW2. Cheren was always Gym Leader material imo, but I wish he were farther up in the ranks. Maybe the 6th leader of Unova at least? Being the first leader was kind of disappointing to me, but still, being a leader is pretty cool! And Bianca being an assistant to the professor is also a pretty cool new role for her that I enjoyed. I think it was perfect for her.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • Cheren was too serious for me. While Bianca was energetic and fun :)
    Also, when Unwavering Emotions started playing when she was talking with her dad at Nimbasa city was just so touching ;~;

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
    Years
  • I've always liked Bianca more. The fact that she has to overcome obstacles to do what she wants was really cool to see. We hardly ever get a character like that. Plus I always liked her style. It was fun to see. Plus I liked how she ended up becoming the assistant to a professor in B2/W2

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I didn't like either that much, but I prefer Bianca. Cheren had a know it all attitude that was so annoying whereas Bianca was naive, but clearly growing. I think she had stronger character development and her end result was more fitting. Idk Cheren becoming a gym leader in the second games and then being the weakest one almost felt like a restart for him. Like he's been training now for two years and what did he have to show for it? Bianca's route made more sense in my eyes.

pvnk-as-fvck

depressed little mess
    Years
  • I like Cheren better than Bianca because I found her rather annoying. She was too bouncy & hyper for me. I'm more reserved & relaxed & I find most people annoying irl.
    I'm more of a grouchy type. I don't like talking to people much-which means if I don't engage in conversation I don't want to talk.

Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2015
    I honestly only remember them both being kinda annoying. If I had to choose, I really can't? I'd have to play the games again to get a better feel of the characters. It seems like I'd lean more towards Cheren because is feels like Bianca bothers you more...

Years
  • I liked them both, but my vote went to Cheren because he was smarter and proceeded to become a Gym Leader after the events of the first game. Bianca was alright, but it was nice that she was upgraded to Professor Juniper's assistant (and was given a much better look).

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    I'd say Bianca. I always found Cheren as the cool, calm and collective type of guy with glasses. He relied on intelligence rather than rushing into things like most would. It really made him boring. He was stuck up and annoyed me to death. Bianca was cute and energetic. A always enjoyed running into her. She had the most character development a rival has had in any Pokemon Game. She was shy and afraid. She began to get courage after getting her father to let her journey. I really liked that about Bianca. You could see how much she changed and matured in B/W2. Bianca over Cheren for sure.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • Aww, it's a shame I can't vote for both of them. =/
    (The two of them always reminded me of Chikorita and Torchic from Ruby Destiny: Rescue Rangers.)

In the end, I would have to vote for Cheren. I personally feel that he has the ideal traits of a rival character: he's insightful, he's explicitly trying to get better with each encounter, and he studies/practices the mechanics from the inside out, all while not being a jerk. In fact, he actually feels similar to a real life rival. If the games were catered ONLY towards the competitive audience, then we know that Cheren would be the first character to do EV training and intense breeding.

What do you think of their B/W2 counterparts; were they done justice as characters?

Bianca... maybe. To me, it feels like they gave her neutral treatment, and her position in BW2 wasn't all that surprising considering the direction she took in BW. As for Cheren, no... I think that they shafted him a bit too hard, for reasons explained here.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Cheren annoyed me for some reason, Bianca I rather liked. Definitely prefer Bianca to Cheren, her attitude is waaaaay better.

Duckface

Eating Souls Everyday
    Years
  • I hated Cheren so much, after every single town, "Hey lets see who got better?" Come on, I'm obviously going to win. Anyway Bianca gives me Fly so automatic win none the less

Back