• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

North American Myths and Folklore

Tek

Years

• 673px-Nordamerikanische_Kulturareale_en.png

Choose your team based on the heroes and deities of North American tribal folklore! The North American continent is subdivided into ten regions. Each region is home to a number of tribes, and each region is also represented by three Pokemon types.

]|-/\-|[::]|-/\-|[::]|-/\-|[::]|-/\-|[
    THE BONDS OF KINSHIP
    ]|-\/-|[::]|-\/-|[::]|-\/-|[::]|-\/-|[

You must choose one tribe to affiliate with. After that, you must choose a Pokemon to be your Spirit Guide.

Therefore, the Pokemon that are available to you are based on the following:
    - Deities common to all of North America
    - Deities common to the region that your tribe is in
    - Pokemon that match your region's types
    - Deities unique to your tribe
    - Your Spirit Guide

You must use at least one Pokemon that represents a deity from your tribe.
    Male deities must be represented by male Pokemon, and female deities by female Pokemon. Genderless Pokemon will work for deities of either gender.
    Some deities have specific rules that must also be followed.
    You may only have one of each deity, unless otherwise specified.

GODS AND HEROES

The following four deities are available to all challengers, regardless of tribal affiliation:

-: Horned Snake :-

The Horned Snake is a supernatural freshwater serpent, who can shape-shift, turn invisible, and hypnotize. It is often blamed for drowning deaths. It bestows powerful medicine upon people who defeat or help it, and it can control the weather.
    Horned Snake must have a weather-altering move in its moveset.
    * Ekans/Arbok
    * Gyarados
    * Dratini/Dragonair
    * Onix/Steelix
    * Dunsparce
    * Seviper
    * Milotic

-: Thunder-Bird :-

There are many varying descriptions of Thunder-Bird, but it is generally known as a giant raptor (bird of prey) responsible for creating thunderstorms. It is the sworn enemy of the Horned Snake.
    Thunder Bird may not be in the party at the same time as Horned Snake. Thunder Bird must learn Thunder.
    * Zapdos

-: Stiff-legged Bear :-

A "stiffly-walking bear", hairless, man-eating, and having a large head. Also called the Great Bear or Naked Monster Bear. It may have been inspired by mammoth or mastodon fossils.
    * Piloswine/Mamoswine
    * Donphan
    * Bastiodon

-: Little People :-

These are child-sized nature spirits that appear in a variety of tribal stories. They are generally mischievous but benevolent, though there are some stories of warlike little people. They often have a variety of magical powers.
    You catch any number of Pokémon to be Little People, and you may have up to two of them in your party at any time.
    * Baby Pokemon
    * Pokemon in the Fairy egg group
    * Bipedal Pokemon that are no taller than 4' 3"

Listed next are the regions of North America, in which various tribes reside. You must choose a tribe, and use the Pokemon representative of that region and that tribe.

\\-|:| Northeast Woodlands |:|-//

The Northeast Woodlands are represented by the types of Ghost, Grass, and Fairy.

The following two deities are available to all Northeast Woodlands tribes:

-: White Owl :-

White Owl is the winter counterpart to Thunder-Bird.
    White Owl may not be in the party at the same time as Horned Snake or Thunder-Bird. White Owl must learn Blizzard.
    * Articuno

-: Hobbamock :-

An evil, destructive spirit being; literally, the spirit of death.
    * Pokemon creepypastas (Darkrai, Phantump, Dusknoir, Drifloon, Hypno, Gengar, etc, etc, etc)

These are the tribes of the Northeast Woodlands:

\-: Algonquin -:/
    Spoiler:

\-: Mohican :-/
    Spoiler:

\\-|:| Southeast Woodlands |:|-//

The Southeast Woodlands are represented by the types of Bug, Grass, and Poison.

The following deity is available to all Southeast Woodlands tribes:

-: Jitsu (or, Rabbit) :-

This is the shape-shifting trickster of the Southeast.
    * Purrloin/Liepard
    * Meowth/Persian
    * Rabbit Pokemon
    * Pokemon that can learn any of these moves: Trick, Transform, Psycho Shift, Spite. The Pokemon must keep at least one of these moves (the more, the better).

These are the tribes of the Southeast Woodlands:

\-: Cherokee :-/
    Spoiler:

\\-|:| Great Plains |:|-//

The Great Plains are represented by the types of Bug, Ground, and Flying.

The following deity is available to all Great Plains tribes:

-: White Owl :-

White Owl is the icy counterpart to Thunder-Bird. It is the bringer of winter and winter storms.
    White Owl may not be in the party at the same time as Horned Snake or Thunder-Bird. White Owl must learn Blizzard.
    * Articuno

These are the tribes of the Great Plains:

\-: Blackfoot :-/
    Spoiler:

\\-|:| Southwest |:|-//

The American Southwest is represented by the types of Ground, Fire, and Fighting.

These are the tribes of the American Southwest:

\-: Hopi :-/
    Spoiler:

\\-|:| Great Basin |:|-//

The Great Basin is represented by the types of Rock, Fighting, Poison.

The following two deities are available to all Great Basin tribes:

-: Isa (or, Wolf) :-

Isa helps to create and shape the world. He has a human form, but sometimes takes the shape of a wolf.
    * Canine pokemon
    * Kyogre
    * Groudon
    * Rayquaza

-: Coyote :-

Wolf's younger brother. Coyote is the shape-shifting trickster, as usual. He sometimes does nice things but gets into a lot of trouble, even ending up dead or dismembered in some stories. Good thing for him that he's immortal.
    * Purrloin/Liepard
    * Canine Pokemon
    * Pokemon that can learn any of these moves: Trick, Transform, Psycho Shift, Spite. The Pokemon must keep at least one of these moves (the more, the better).

These are the tribes of the Great Basin:

\-: Ute :-/
    Spoiler:

\-: Mono :-/
    Spoiler:

\\-|:| Northwest Plateau |:|-//

The Northwest Plateau is represented by the types of Rock, Steel, and Fairy.

These are the tribes of the Northwest Plateau:

\-: Nez Perce :-/
    Spoiler:

\-: Mohawk :-/
    Spoiler:

\\-|:| California |:|-//

The California tribes are represented by the types of Flying, Water, and Fire.

These are the tribes of the California region:

\-: Mojave :-/
    Spoiler:

\-: Serrano :-/
    Spoiler:

\-: Hupa :-/
    Spoiler:

\\-|:| Northwest Coast |:|-//

The Northwest Coast is represented by the types of Ghost, Water, and Dragon.

These are the tribes of the Pacific Northwest:

\-: Chinook :-/
    Spoiler:

\-: Haida :-/
    Spoiler:

\-: Tlingit :-/
    Spoiler:

\\-|:| Subarctic |:|-//

The Subarctic region is represented by the types of Ice, Psychic, and Dragon.

These are the tribes of the Subarctic:

\-: Cree :-/
    Spoiler:

\\-|:| Arctic |:|-//

The Arctic region is represented by the types of Ice, Dark, and Steel.

These are the tribes of the Arctic:

\-: Inuit :-/
    Spoiler:

THE PEOPLE OF THE LAND

When the credits roll for the first time, you've beaten the challenge. You will be added to the list of champions, and in the tradition of the Native Americans, you will be given a new name based on the details of your journey.

Note that the only completion requirement is that you build your team according to the guidelines above, and get to "The End" with that team. It is up to you to set the difficulty from there. Here are some suggested additional rules:

"Warrior's Strength"
    -No HM Buddies.

"The Outlanders"
    -Up to three Pokemon may be traded/hacked in at a reasonable level relative to your progress. Movesets must be legal, hacked Pokemon should have reasonable IVs.

"Nature's Bounty"
    -Held items may be traded/hacked, but only one of each. You may also trade or hack for fossils and evolutionary items. No other items can be traded/hacked.

\\-|:| Challengers |:|-//
    Spoiler:

\\-|:| Champions |:|-//
    Spoiler:

GIVING THANKS
    The specific information on tribal lore comes from the collection of stories at www.native-languages.org/legends.htm. I also used Wikipedia to help me organize the tribes by region.

Last edited:

Tek

Years
  • First update:

Spoiler:

Tek

Years
  • Progress has been slow for me. I've nearly made it to Snowpoint City to catch up with Markus and get my seventh badge. I think I burned myself out on challenges '-_-

Be on the lookout for some a couple of changes to this challenge! I'm going to take a page out of LilJz's book and assign each region 2-3 types. Challengers will be able to use any Pokemon of those types, in addition to the specific deities of whichever tribe/region was chosen. I may also change the way in which your Spirit Guide is chosen, to give a wider variety and imitate the way in which tribe members would receive their spirit guides.

Tek

Years
  • I think this might need to be simplified, just as friendly advice. I had a decent amount of trouble comprehending it, as it is overly-complex. Or maybe that's just me, who knows.

I think you're on to something there. I seem to recall hearing that before.

The basic idea is to imagine that you are in one of these tribes. The Pokemon you can use consist of:
    - Deities common to all of North America
    - Deities common to the region your tribe is in
    - Pokemon that match your region's types
    - Deities unique to your tribe
    - Your Spirit Guide

Other than that, there are some deities that can't be in the team at the same time, and other little things specific to certain deities. All of the other "general rules" are pretty much unnecessary.

Is that a bit more clear?

NyxShooter

drifting wanderer
    Years
  • Yes I think that is much more clear. I would also like to suggest that maybe you should list all the Pokemon in one group like this

Cherokee ~Snip Snip~
    XXX Pokemon
    XXX Pokemon
    XXX Pokemon
    XXX Pokemon

Red Cloud
    XXX Pokemon
    XXX Pokemon
    XXX Pokemon
    XXX Pokemon

and have a whole list of them in one spoiler rather than have a bunch of them seperated into multiple spoilers. This doesn't mean that you should follow my recommendation though.

Tek

Years
  • Yes I think that is much more clear. I would also like to suggest that maybe you should list all the Pokemon in one group like this

Cherokee ~Snip Snip~
    XXX Pokemon
    XXX Pokemon
    XXX Pokemon
    XXX Pokemon

Red Cloud
    XXX Pokemon
    XXX Pokemon
    XXX Pokemon
    XXX Pokemon

and have a whole list of them in one spoiler rather than have a bunch of them seperated into multiple spoilers. This doesn't mean that you should follow my recommendation though.

Yeah I guess I'm the weird one in that I prefer all the spoilers. Without them, you'd have a huuuge list of stuff to scroll through. They're sort of functioning like a list of hyperlinks on a web page as opposed to a wall of text.

I may have to come up with something like what you've suggested, but we'll see.

stp

ShootThePuck
    Years
  • Honestly, you might just want to format it a bit better. Right now, it just looks like a huge block of text.

Tek

Years
  • Honestly, you might just want to format it a bit better. Right now, it just looks like a huge block of text.

With the insane spacing and text size glitches I keep having, this is the best I can possibly do... without CSS. Which is why I'll be formatting it with CSS this weekend :]

For now, I suppose you'll just have to read slowly and look at the section headers.

EDIT: CSS is finished. Sorry for the massive amounts of extra spaces, but wherever I put one blank line, I end up with four. I'm at a loss.

Last edited:

Tek

Years
  • Update:

Spoiler:

If anyone's thinking about taking this challenge... do it! Don't be shy! You can always impose additional rules to increase the difficulty, like using only one of the regional types, not using legendaries, or even combining this with a Nuzlocke.

If you don't want to start a new game, you could do an Around the World variant: pick a Lv 5 Pokémon to be your spirit guide, go to the starting town, and journey to all parts of the region using Pokémon you catch along the way. You should partake in re-battles and battle facilities often, and challenge the E4 to finish up!

I should also mention that you've gotta use at least one of the deities unique to your tribe. This isn't directly stated in the rules, so I'll amend them soon-ish. rules updated :]

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2015
    Names: BoltThief
    Spirit guide dragonite deity alakazam others mamoswine salamance frosslass hypno
    Game:pearl
    Tribe Cree
    Note it may take me a while to get started and I will hack these pokemon in at level 5
    I will start with dragonite then add a pokemon each gym in the order listed they will be added in at the approximate gym level.

Last edited:

Tek

Years
  • Names: BoltThief
    Spirit guide dragonite deity alakazam others mamoswine salamance frosslass hypno
    Game:pearl
    Tribe Cree
    Note it may take me a while to get started and I will hack these pokemon in at level 5

Okay, your sign-up looks good. Which deity is Alakazam? The witiko? o_O

I think starting with just your spirit guide and adding new members as you get badges would be a good additional rule for your challenge. It worked pretty well for my Sinnoh run. Up to you, though.

Inuit challenge update

I'm really dreading Victory Road and the E4 for some unknown reason On hold.

new sign-up

Tribe: Blackfoot
    Spirit guide: Beldum

Since I'm from the Midwest, I've been wanting to do a Great Plains run. And I ended up getting OR even though I was planning on *not* adding another plate to the pile, so, now this is happening.

A lot of the Blackfoot deities will work for legendaries, so I'm adopting a rule; I will only have one deity in my party at a time.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2015
    Alakazam is grandmother fox and sure I will try it that way.
    They will be added in at the approximate level of the gym just beaten

Last edited:

Tek

Years
  • I've finished both of my runs. I'll edit this post later to add pics/teams.

I'm slowing down on challenges, so I won't be able to keep this going by myself anymore. It's up to you, BoltThief, and anyone else who takes the challenge.

Last edited:
    Back