• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga God Eater

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
Years

• God Eater
    In the year 2071, the Far East is ruled by angry gods. 20 years ago unknown life forms called "Oracle cells" begin their uncontrolled consumption of all life on Earth. Humanity both fears them and reveres them as "aragami." They are immune to all weapons and the mankind's numbers continue to dwindle. The last bastion of hope is the newly developed "God Arcs" weapons that utilize Oracle cells to fight back. The weapons wielders band together into an elite force dubbed "God Eaters."

Type: TVStatus: Not yet aired
    Episodes: 13
    Aired: Jul 12, 2015 to ?
    Producers: ufotable, Aniplex of AmericaL
    Genres: Action, Demons, Fantasy, Supernatural, Military
    Duration: Unknown
    Rating: None

Spoiler: Cast and Crew

Cast:
    Ryūichi Kijima as Renka Utsugi

Daisuke Sakaguchi as Kōta Fujiki
    Hiroaki Hirata as Lindow Amamiya
    Kazuya Nakai as Soma Schicksal
    Maaya Sakamoto as Alisa Illinichina Amiella
    Sayaka Ohara as Sakuya

Staff:
    Director: Takayuki Hirao
    Music: Gō Shiina
    Character Design: Keita Shimizu
    Art Director: Masaru Yanaka
    Sound Director: Takayuki Hirao
    Cgi Director: Masato Takizawa
    Director of Photography:
    Kentarō Waki
    Seiji Matsuda

Color design: Emi Chiba
    Editing: Tsuyoshi Imai
    Theme Song Performance:
    OLDCODEX (OP)
    Tatsuhisa Suzuki (OLDCODEX;OP)

TRAILER
    Spoiler:

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Let's get this out of the way first. The anime is first and foremost a big advertisement for God Eater: Resurrection. Yes, the first episode got delayed, it's an ufotable production, and Hirao Takayuki is directing it. But, don't expect AOTY from this. Music is going to be totally kickass though, Go Shiina is a fantastic composer. (we're also getting glorious russian underboobs!)

I still think this will be entertaining. Thirteen episode should be enough to fit the entire storyline for God Eater Burst. There will probably still be some pacing issues though, as I'm assuming that there will be no one-hour episodes.

Also, the trailer linked above is for a Pachinko game lol. Actual anime trailer is below.

Spoiler:

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • What I didn't like is the animation they have shown so far. It looks... weird, like a mix of CG and traditional animation. You can say whatever you want, but I hate CG animation, a little bit is OK, but a whole show made out of it is a no-go for me.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • What I didn't like is the animation they have shown so far. It looks... weird, like a mix of CG and traditional animation. You can say whatever you want, but I hate CG animation, a little bit is OK, but a whole show made out of it is a no-go for me.

^ it looks like they're going with a highly stylized art style rather than CG. And I'm definitely a fan of what I saw, tbh. Though I can see why you'd think it was CG.

Either way, pretty goddamn pumped about this. I have no friggin clue about the games, their stories - anything. All I know is ufotable is handling it and Alisa is fucking sexy. That's all I need to know to give it a shot. Or, rather, be super pumped about it. russian underboobs for the win!

y u delay da firsto episode, tho?! i'm dying to see it here!11!! ;____;
    I know the reason shaddup. but i'm still sad

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • My eyes can't lie to me! I swear I saw CG!!!11111..............

Spoiler:

Anyhow, it will be worth the try, regardless of that.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years

Music is good. The rest... meh.
    Plus, am I the only one who thinks the animation is utterly weird!? Like some kind of 2D CG.

Aogon

OYSTERS, CLAMS & COCKLES
    Years
  • The art style is definitely going to be an awkward adjustment week-to-week. It's very enjoyable though, for innovation alone.

The entire first episode felt incredibly choppy in between scenes. Very similar to watching the collation of cut scenes from a game. Unsurprising I know, given the source material.

Story wise, I'm definitely invested. This is the sort of non-wimpy MC I can support. I was very happy to see some action this episode, instead of being bogged down with training or plain introductory exposition.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • An odd art style that's going to take time to get used to, it looks more watercolour ish than anything. MC isn't magically OP - he has to train and stuff but because he's MC, he has to run out in the dangerous world and disobey orders (original) Going to be a fun watch.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • Definitely gonna check this out! I've wanted to play a God Eater game for the longest while, so the fact that it's getting an anime is a sweet bonus.

derozio

Years

Music is good. The rest... meh.
    Plus, am I the only one who thinks the animation is utterly weird!? Like some kind of 2D CG.
    I personally LOVE it. It looks amazing, in my opinion.

It is something I'd say is similar to this:
    Spoiler:

Like, the shading is much more emphasized and it is done much more extensively - you can spot a lot more shades than you'd usually do while watching anime. It is called cell shading, if I'm not wrong. Correct me if I am. XD; But yeah, that's definitely not CG. It is 2D art with lots and lots of shades of colors being visible at characters at any point of time. Definitely does make it easier for the characters to blend with the kind of monsters they have in this show. The monster themselves, though, are undoubtedly CG. That's an undeniable fact. Show also uses CG models for the characters at action-intensive moments, surely, but it is undeniably 2D art done in a style that makes it looks like how it does.

Definitely do not see a lot of people enjoying the art online haha. But I think this is something you'd probably get used to over time. Might even come to enjoy it a lot. Idk. I personally LOVE this style. Definitely prefer it over the kind of usual stuff we get. This just looks insanely attractive to me. And, well, this amount of shading isn't something you can achieve without a large number of animators working on each frame. I heard many studios and animators were roped in to help for doing this episode.

The episode itself wasn't really all that well done, imo. The cuts and slow-mo might look cool to someone who is new to anime but...it doesn't exactly add anything to the episode. In fact, it looked very jarring apart from the one scene where the MC takes his shirt off. The rest of the instances...it just felt unnecessary.

Really love the music used. OST is definitely something I'm pumped for. OP was okay. Overall, decent episode. But I hope we get more action next episode. And that we get to see Alisa. God, she looks really great in this show. She's a major reason behind me watching this series so I definitely was kinda disappointed to see that we merely get to see one single second shot of her in the episode along with barely a few seconds in the OP - that's it. :( But yeah, hopefully next episode remedies that. And please, ufotable, tone the slow-mo's and the jarring transitions a bit down. They don't help the pacing of the episodes. At all.

Edit: Also, the animation itself. While fluid for the action scenes, it was very choppy for a few scenes. It looked very...weird. Like, take for instance where the officer pulls him by collar and throws him on the other guy. That, and there were other scenes too iirc.

Last edited:

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • Cellshaded would be something like Spiderman: The Animated Series in my opinion. It's a different technique.

I don't know what they are doing, but it loops floppy and it's hard to get used to (and I'm saying this as a fan of Kuchu Buranko, so don't say I'm not used to non-standard animaton D:! )

Anyhow, the music is great!

derozio

Years
  • Well, I knew utilizing the term was a sketchy thing haha. But it is definitely that - utilizing more shades than anime usually do. Which is what's causing it to look like that.

Guess just a case of beauty lying in the eye of the beholder, haha. At least we both agree that the music is great stuff. =p

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Offtopic: are the games localized already?
    God Eater Burst, which is what the anime is based (presumably) off, is localized already. God Eater 2 and it's expansion, Rage Burst, have not been announced for a localization nor does it seem that Namco is going to announcing anything despite filing trademarks for Rage Burst.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • Guess just a case of beauty lying in the eye of the beholder, haha. At least we both agree that the music is great stuff. =p

Acknowledged.

God Eater Burst, which is what the anime is based (presumably) off, is localized already. God Eater 2 and it's expansion, Rage Burst, have not been announced for a localization nor does it seem that Namco is going to announcing anything despite filing trademarks for Rage Burst.

Ohhh, I see. Thank you, maybe it was me, but I noticed it wasn't 'very anime', like somehow the script was really meant for western audience (the use of cameras, the non-standard animation), so I though maybe they were already planning to promote the game in the US.

derozio

Years
  • Episode 2 felt like it crawled. Could've handled the episode much better pacing wise. :(
    I DID hear some of the gamers say that this story can be fit in 6 episodes. Which sort of explains the overly slow pacing of this episode. :/ Still, could've added something other than characters talking and that flashback that took longer than I would've liked it to run. :/

At least put more of Alisa-chan in it, ffs! She just got, what, an underboob shot, an ass shot and a shot of her face. That's it. I wanted her to appear THIS episode!! :'(

But then again, judging by the next episode's name, it'll be all about her so I'm glad about that at least. One thing I'm almost sure of now - I'll only be enjoying this anime due to the solid artwork, its music and Alisa. Nothing else would make me love it. Unless the writing and pacing suddenly improved exponentially. Which I doubt it will.

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
  • For some reason the animation style messes with my eyes but in a good way, it's a shame the plot seems to be so 1 dimensional so far. Hope they try to spice it up instead of ending up generic.

Back