• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Kalos Fossils

Which Kalos fossil did you choose?

• Total voters
Years
  • tyrunt.gif
    amaura.gif

Every region has a tendency to introduce a new duo of fossil Pokemon, and Kalos is no exception, introducing the Rock/Dragon-type Tyrunt, revived from a Jaw Fossil, and the Rock/Ice-type Amaura who is revived from a Sail Fossil. You could obtain one of said fossils in the Glittering Cave after you defeat Team Flare for the first time.

So, which one of the two did you choose in the game?

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Aurorus is my favorite fossil Pokemon so far, so in each of my X&Y playthroughs, that's the one that I chose. I love its design, and I'm a big fan of its type combination as well. I'm a fan of Tyrunt as well, and Tyrantrum is probably better from a competitive point of view, but for a playthrough I normally go for my personal favorites rather than competitive viability.

Nas160

Sometimes here...!
    Years
  • When I got to the part of the cave where you receive the fossils, I looked both of the fossil Pokémon up. I already knew about Tyrunt, and I thought its design was pretty cool (am I the only one who thinks Tyrunt and Tyrantrum are very reminiscent of Digimon...?), but I fell in love with Amaura when I saw its picture <3

250px-698Amaura.png

It was a no brainer which one I wanted, so I picked the Sail Fossil right away :3 He's so cute! <3 He's in the late 30's currently and I've been having him in my party ever since I got him :3 It didn't take long for me to put Amaura on my top 10 list of fave Pokémon :)

When I picked up Super Mystery Dungeon last week at GameStop, I found an Amaura plush on one of the shelves...I didn't even know there were officially-made Amaura plushies, but I didn't hesitate to take him home with me <3

Ljn92sW.png

Aurorus has such a gorgeous design too, I'll be very happy when my little guy evolves :D Really like their unique typing, too :)

tumblr_static_cwanvx29xjc4ko00wowsskkcc.gif

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • I actually had no clue which Pokemon belonged to which fossil since it was first experience with the game. So i ended up choosing Jaw Fossil, curious to see what came from it, and i wasn't disappointed! I immediately fell in love with the adorable little Tyrunt and then was amazed by the sheer power that Tyrantrum exhibited. Safe to say that this line is now in my top 15 favorite Pokemon!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I went and got the Jaw Fossil/Tyrunt. Tyrunt and Tyrantrum were basically the only Pokemon I was absolutely certain I wanted to have in my party. Love the typing and like that it's modeled after after a Tyrannosaur.

Aurorus is my favorite fossil Pokemon so far, so in each of my X&Y playthroughs, that's the one that I chose. I love its design, and I'm a big fan of its type combination as well. I'm a fan of Tyrunt as well, and Tyrantrum is probably better from a competitive point of view, but for a playthrough I normally go for my personal favorites rather than competitive viability.
    Yeah, Tyrantrum is superior to Aurorus competitively, especially so after it got its Hidden Ability of Rock Head. It's too bad really, Aurorus could've been pretty decent but they made some kind of odd choices for it from a battle standpoint. It almost looks like they were trying to make it some sort of tank, but then didn't give it any sort of reliable recovery move like Recover, and Rock/Ice is an absolutely terrible defensive typing.....but is a fantastic offensive one, especially when you have an ability like Refrigerate (just look at how much Pixilate and Aerialate do for the Pokemon that have them) and a really neat move in Freeze Dry. It also for some bizarre reason does not get Power Gem. Oh well.

But yeah, there's no real need to go for competitive viability with your in-game teams at all.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I went and got the Jaw Fossil/Tyrunt. Tyrunt and Tyrantrum were basically the only Pokemon I was absolutely certain I wanted to have in my party. Love the typing and like that it's modeled after after a Tyrannosaur.

Yeah, Tyrantrum is superior to Aurorus competitively, especially so after it got its Hidden Ability of Rock Head. It's too bad really, Aurorus could've been pretty decent but they made some kind of odd choices for it from a battle standpoint. It almost looks like they were trying to make it some sort of tank, but then didn't give it any sort of reliable recovery move like Recover, and Rock/Ice is an absolutely terrible defensive typing.....but is a fantastic offensive one, especially when you have an ability like Refrigerate (just look at how much Pixilate and Aerialate do for the Pokemon that have them) and a really neat move in Freeze Dry. It also for some bizarre reason does not get Power Gem. Oh well.

But yeah, there's no real need to go for competitive viability with your in-game teams at all.

Yea, Ice/Rock just has way too many common weaknesses. I was pretty excited though when I first heard about Freeze-Dry, because it's such a cool move (pun not intended). If only Aurorus had better speed...and recover, like you said.

And geeze, I'm way behind the times, I hadn't even realized Rock Head Tyrantrum was released already :o

Years
  • I'm on Team Amaura as well, mainly because I liked it better design-wise. While it may be a tank that has awful defensive typing, lack of recovery and Power Gem (which would have been a great STAB) it does at least have Refrigerate to make up for that allowing for some powerful attacks.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    Tyrunt/Tyrantrum simply because I like bipedal dinosaurs better than quadrupedal ones haha.
    That and he looks cooler, IMO.

Not entirely a fan of Amaura's looks, but Aurorus looks great.

I was pretty excited though when I first heard about Freeze-Dry, because it's such a cool move (pun not intended).
    Would've been so much better if it has been intended. c:

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • I wasn't expecting so much love for the Sail fossil! Don't freeze dry me here, but I've never actually selected the sail fossil. XD I always go with Tyrunt and nickname it "Lil'Arms," which I find hilarious every time I see a TRex use "Dragon Claw." That itty bitty rawr is too cute.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I'm more of a Carnivorous and Jurassic Park Guy so Jaw Fossil for me because the design so regal and look like exactly like T-rex and it saves time on evolution because I play less on night.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • I picked Amaura in Y, but I like both of them equally. I'm gonna pick Tyrunt in Z version and have it on my team.

Years
  • I chose Tyrunt, but at the time I didn't know what Pokemon the Fossils made, so it was really just a shot in the dark; there was an equal chance that I could've chosen Amaura. On that note, I later traded my Tyrunt for Amaura.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    The Kalos fossil Pokémon are by far my favorite fossil Pokémon of all time, honestly. They're both modeled after my favorite dinosaurs and have really great designs and such. I picked both - Amaura in my X version when I first played that, and then Tyrunt when I got Y version later, and while Tyrunt/Tyrantrum is so much better as far as typing and overall usefulness, I still really like Amaura/Aurorus just because they're the first "pretty" fossil Pokémon we've had so far, lol.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I picked the Jaw Fossil the first time around because I like Tyrunt's design more. It looks tough and ready to battle. While Amaura is pretty and its design has grown on me, Tyrunt was just cool and Tyrantrum even cooler. It also helps that Tyrunt/Tyrantrum is stronger in battle, and I like powerful Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Amaura line is definitely the one I like most; they're super-adorable. Unfortunately, though, I've never gotten to use them as much in-battle, and I should try changing that.

Makattack202

guy with the torterra pfp
    Years
  • I was sold on the Jaw Fossil from the moment I saw Tyrunt.
    Not just because T-rex are cool, but it's a Rock-Dragon.
    And Tyrantrum is also incredibly beastly looking.

...I can't even accurately describe why I like the line so much, but Tyrantrum is one of my favorite Dragon-types.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • I looked them up and went with the Jaw Fossil for the same reason I chose Y over X. I liked the designs of Tyrunt/Tyrantrum (and Yveltal) over Amaura/Aurorus (and Xerneas). A Rock/Dragon? Hell yes. A T-Rex Pokemon? Hell yes squared.
    I named it Gridlocke after the Dinobot (I misremembered Grimlock as Gridlock) and added the e for John Locke.

LadyVenus

Team Cipher
    Years
  • Amaura is amazing, but I chose Tyrunt. I have always wanted a Pokemon based off of a t-rex. It's just awesome.

Back