• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who is your favorite rival?

cleffable

Cleff
Years
  • So, people now that but now i say again: Silver is the best rival. (my opinion, yea)
    So:
    He start's the game with you, stealing pokémon of elm's lab, and if you try to talk to him, he push you. So...
    the son of Team Rocket Boss Giovanni. So, he hates Team Rocket. He considers all members of team rocket weak, and wants to take down, the organization of his own father.
    While most other rivals are good guys (at least thet only make jokes with player sometimes), Silver is (at first) cruel, hateful, power-obsessed and even physically abusive, pushing the player character around several times.
    and he know, Silver hate his father because his failure to be the number one bad organization in the world
    So, who is your favorite rival?

Years
  • I only know of the first two rivals, having not played anything after Gen 2.

Out of the two I like Blue best, he's still a dick but I'd say he still respects Red from day 1, unlike Silver who only starts to respect you by the time you head to pokemon league. I prefer the things Blue comes out with too, Silver is just a whining mop.

Years
  • Blue is my favourite rival, because he's one of the few rivals that actually feels like a rival (I just said rival way too many times). I just love his personality and his attitude towards Red, not only that but he's always one step ahead of you and with the newer rivals, they're often at the same point or behind you when you encounter them. Plus, him being the champion was pretty cool.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Probably Cheren. Constantly there, constantly battling you, and then when you finally beat him at the end, he gets the message and lets you do your thing.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Either Blue or Silver. Probably Silver. Blue is great as the classic, original rival who is always one step ahead of you and drives you to do your best just to beat him. But Silver experiences a lot more growth on his journey, and he's a deeper, more interesting character in a lot of ways who seems like he comes from a fairly troubled past. It would be interesting to play through a game from Silver's perspective.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Silver is pretty swell. Unlike basically any other Rival, the guy starts off as a total jerk and eventually learns the error of his ways and seems to become a nice guy. Proper character development is so rare in the Pokémon games that Silver stands out as a great and well thought-out character in my eyes. Most of the later generation "pseudo-rivals" went off on a "nice-guy rival" tangent that I find generally uninteresting.

didn't actually read the replies until I posted this but EDIT: pretty much what Imperator161 said ^ haha.

HyperMorian

Busy with University.
    Years
  • This guy.
    Who is your favorite rival?

The quick to anger Qwilfish-haired guy, Team Plasma Slayer, Hugh.

Through some point of view, the past he had is quasi, even the New Team Plasma asked him why he doesn't just capture a new one (Purrloin) instead.
    But he doesn't care, he's so persistent that he wanted the stolen, that his late grandfather caught for his little sister back.

At first, he wants to become stronger with just a goal; namely eliminate every Team Plasma Member. Sounds pretty not okay, but the hatred he has for Team Plasma was hinted, just like on how he managed to punch a Team Plasma Grunt in Driftveil and went inside to storm the Plasma Frigate together with you and Cheren along with undercover Grunts at the second and third attempt.

But soon, he revealed his intention when you and him defeated the four grunts in Nimbasa City. At first, you indeed laughed at that excuse. However, not everything can become an exact replica, there hasn't been any even if it exists; they're all unique even all the Audino you beaten to death are different from the first and the latter. For someone who can't do anything to protect his deary, he seeks only revenge. Later on, he's still unsure whether what's he doing is right or not. If he were to keep thinking that everything, ranging from whom refrained from their malicious acts in the past as guilty, he might end up rejecting everyone else aka. selfishness.
    Going jolly first, traveling through the hard path, shivering around chilling icicles, Hugh finally found the long lost Purrloin -- now Liepard that he was looking for so long, but the ironic boundary, imprisoned through Poké Balls has taken a really heavy toll for him; it hissed as if he doesn't recognize him, therefore discouraging him from taking the Pokémon back. But you're unhappy with the ending also, you don't want him to get through all of this with bringing back nothing even though you're thinking he's annoying. You cheer for him, as you take the path for the ending of a living villainous organization. He smiled as he took back what has been gone, back to his little sister.

He's not really an overcocky rival, who also cares his Pokémon a lot just like his partners. He just wants to become the best among every trainer in Unova like you, but you proved to him that you're more than worthy for that position although he has no intention to actually challenge the Pokémon League as his true goal has been achieved because of you. He has never been so happier than ever since.

So yeah, Hugh.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Silver, started out as a nasty and jerk like and soon more caring and friendly at the end.

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2024
        As most people here, I like Silver the most as a rival, for at least two reasons :
    - I hate friendly rivals, because often they are boring, not surprising at all, and they don't get any real development.
    - He get a great development throughout the story, starting out selfish, nasty, obsessed about getting stronger, not caring about his pokemon, then, after a lot of defeats, begin to think about himself, about how he raise his team, his methods, and began to care more about his pokemons, becoming more friendly. Really it's great :)

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I think my opinion might be a bit different than you guys, but well...

I think Shauna is one of my favorite rivals, among others. She's quite a prodigy at puzzles, and coming along with her friends because she wanted to share good memories of journey together, and it shows. It's important for me because she brings my interest in Pokémon back after being bored for quite a while.

Years
  • I think Shauna is one of my favorite rivals, among others. She's quite a prodigy at puzzles, and coming along with her friends because she wanted to share good memories of journey together, and it shows. It's important for me because she brings my interest in Pokémon back after being bored for quite a while.

I can understand why people like this kind of rival, Shauna definitely had a great adventure with her Pokemon and friends. But I tend to prefer the antagonistic rivals more than the friendlier ones, I guess we could say the rivals in XY were friends really.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 26, 2023
    Barry from Platinum. He's quite annoying at first, but after many playthroughs you tend to like him a bit.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Barry from Platinum. He's quite annoying at first, but after many playthroughs you tend to like him a bit.

It made me like Barry too, he's all-around rival who just funny, impatient and modestly passive than any other rivals

Years
  • I am torn between Silver and Blue for #1.

Blue is the first rival and gave us the blueprint that others should follow. I think the rival should try to destroy you. He/She may know that you are good and envy you, but they're not your friend. If you always have gotten along then the rivalry doesn't work in my opinion.

I feel that Silver is a powerful rival who built on what Blue started. Silver is also the most striking rival visually imo. He is a somewhat darker rival than Blue and has a really interesting backstory via Giovanni. He ultimately has a character arc and is redeemed by you.

If we never saw Blue again after the first generation I would probably think of Silver as the more developed character in-game. However, Blue's reappearance in gen 2 adds more dimensions to his character. We discover that he was demoted to a gym leader after his title as champion was taken away. He often ignores his responsilities to his gym, and travels faraway, seeking solitude on Cinnabar island. He seems to have a jaded outlook on life compared to lofty aspirations he once held and is also greatly softened by the presence of his kindly sister Daisy.

I think in his own way Blue is as interesting as Silver making me tie them for my favs.

As a runner up I do also like Wally. I don't mind him being gentle because it made me not recognize him as the real rival until late in the game, whereas my focus was on May/Ethan initially. I think Wally also works well because he is very young at this stage and more of the protégée you took under your wing, who will grow to become an invincible rival and eventually dethrone you. I think his sickness, pallor and green hair complement his ralts and give him a slightly otherworldly aura that I find interesting.

Years
  • Brendan/May from Gen III/VI. Not much character development, but they came through with good intent the entire game.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I popped into this thread because I like a majority of Pokemon's rivals, but like...who's "Silver"? I only know this guy called ??? who was pretty mean to start off with, but he slowly warmed up to me and became probably the strongest rival in the game (if we don't count Platinum's rematches against Barry) with his well rounded team that consists of mons I really like, such as Gengar and Crobat.

hehehe

Back