• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon is going downhill

Do you think pokemon games are going downhill?

• yes

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • no

Votes: 51 76.1%

• Total voters

Pryze

Straight chillin
Years
  • Sun and Moon look fine to me.

I love the new Pokemon (especially that boy Palossand), the game looks fantastic visual-wise, the characters seem interesting, etc. My love for Pokemon has only grown over the last generations, and I have no doubt that SM will do the same.

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    Are people seriously complaining about Pokemon going downhill? No. It's not. If you look at the sale trends, Pokemon is doing pretty well. Let's admit that we probably won't get a main game as popular as the originals again(unless Sun and Moon tops them). Does that mean Pokemon is screwed over? No. Pokemon has grown too popular to not have an audience.

And speaking as an audience member, let me just say that Pokemon games are flawed, they don't make sense, and Gamefreak has really annoying habits when it comes to new features( dropping them really) but there is still enjoyment with each game. Whether you like it or not is all opinion and not pure fact. Only seeing Pokemon games from your perspective and not trying to get a different perspective of the game will only lead to you feeling completely annoyed. I learned this when the battle frontier was not included in ORAS. I never liked the frontier. I thought it was terrible and stupid as I had bad memories with it, but after talking with some friends I could tell that people actually liked the frontier and that even if I hated it, it didn't mean others did and that it didn't deserve to come back.

That being said, Sun and Moon are the games that Pokemon desperately need. We've had the same formula for 20 years. 20 years. We need a change and these games are most likely it. Different does not mean bad and Weird does not mean bad. And that's how Alola is. Alola is weird, but it's a tropical island! If you've ever studied remote islands, you'd know that sometimes, weird animals exist in remote places. It's perfectly normal in that climate. Alola forms make sense because Pokemon adapt to their environment like real animals do. Are they pandering bullshit? Maybe. Are they recolours? Sort Of. But at least they have a reason to exist. And while I think it's a lost cause to make genwunners happy and appeal to their stupid desires, it definitely has an audience. People think the new Legendary Pokemon are bad. Um...if you don't like the design, fine, but that's all opinion. Legendary Pokemon are supposed to be legendary. They're supposed to be grand and/or majestic. New pokemon designs bad? Come on. We finally have Pokemon based off real animals that people want. We haven't even seen the evolution or stats yet. How can you judge a Pokemon you haven't even used?

Can we please just stop basing our love for Pokemon all on designs and actually focus on their damn stats? A Pokemon can either look cool, but suck( Charizard not including it's Megas) and look terrible but actually be great( Trubbish is decent if you know how to use it).

I'm sorry if I come off as rude, but I can't stand people with this mentality. I get it. No one wants a shitty design, but keep in mind that all of the new Pokemon we've seen have a distinguished lore. These Pokemon have at least and iota of a reason to exist. Isn't that enough? No? Then, I'm sorry. I feel that you're hard to please like the other people who complain of Pokemon going downhill. This isn't just a problem I've seen with people like this, it's a problem with the fanbase too. Now, I'm not expecting a "perfect social friendly fandom" but it's clear that the problem isn't necessarily with games as much as the people complaining about them. It's clear from since I've seen in gen 5 that people for the love of their minds can not decide what they want. People complain about Pokemon not having enough original Pokemon. We get the gen 5 roster, people complain. People want new features to make competitive battling easier. Hyper Training exist, people complain. People want new Pokemon with different designs, we get new Pokemon with tropical themed designs, people brush them off as crap.

Let me just say that anything is a Pokemon, anything. It doesn't matter how you look at it. Pokemon has always been kinda stupid. A rock with arms, a ball, and 3 semi circles combined. How is that more creative than a sword that possesses the user, a pokemon that can put you into eternal slumber, and a Pokemon that changes type depending on what machines it's places into? If you hate the new designs because it's not your cup of tea, fine. But please don't act like your opinion dictates all of Pokemon's history as fact. Unless Sun and Moon do terribly(which is unlikely to begin with) Pokemon ain't dying anytime soon.

Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    Well implementing 3d is a BIG task. They had to model and and animate and texture etc soo many pokemon it's unbelievable. 3d is expensive too. So I think having a bit less of a story in X&Y was a necessary sacrifice for this step. I think it paid off. Now with Pokemon Go hype and Sun and Moon coming soon they will be fine I'm pretty sure. It's strange though that I want more pokemon and less pokemon at the same time. As a kid I found a poster with gen 2 Pokemon in a Kiosk before they released Gold/Silver I was soooo hyped because it was unbelievable there are more Pokemon somehow :D It's sad to know there will never be a feeling like this again because there are just so many now.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2016
    I strongly agree with you here. It was so popular at first. Shame really, such a good game.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • No Pokemon Z

Um this?

66629_pokemon-z.jpg

Anyway

Pokemon games lost their touch in pokemon ruby spahire (sp?), pokemon gold/silver/crystal was good

I suggest nintendo/game freak remade old pokemon games with new pokemon instead

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2016
    I have felt that Pokemon was becoming repetitive and stale early in the series, but my interest was renewed with x/y and oras. I like how Sun/Moon looks more story-driven and has different angles to show off the graphics instead of the overhead perspective the series has primarily used so far. X/Y and ORAS also had some areas with different angles, but this seems to be taking it to the next level.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Honestly the OP made me laugh. Anyways...

executor is outrageous..
    vulpix ninetails sandshrew changed colors..very original.. almost looks fanmade..

I'm assuming you are talking about their Alolan forms, then I disagree. I actually like the new Exeggutor, I think it has a funny and unique design. I also thought the new Ninetales looks really good too. I'm actually considering using one in my playthrough because of it. If there were any of the new Alolan forms who deserved to be disliked, imo that would possibly be the ones for Meowth and Marowak. The new colour scheme looks rather dull on Marowak in my opinion, and I find the flames to be rather off putting-it looks as if it is trying too hard to be badass. Regular Marowak looks so much better, and I prefer it a gazillian times over it's new form. Meowth.....they changes it's colours, and gave it a badass look. That's it. I'm surprised these 2 are so popular, in my opinion they stick out to me as the least appealing out of all the ones I've seen only because I just don't like how they try so hard to be awesome.

XY is not bad. In fact, I think it is overhated. Way overhated. It was easy, but maybe that's just to show you are better at playing video games as opposed to in the past? Or maybe it's cause of what, the new EXP share? Yeah...the 'off' button for it totally doesn't exist...oh wait it does. So if you feel that the game is too easy, why not turn the freaking thing off? And still having problems? Well challenge modes exist. Nuzruns have been my best pal for 3 good years for a reason.
    All in all, I like XY personally. The plot was meh, but it wasn't unbearable to the point I couldn't enjoy the game. I liked the variety of mons, and basically evrything about XY not named the plot worked well for me, and I don't see why lately people are bashing it. Same with ORAS but it's not hated as much.

If there were any games deserving of the francise going downhill I'd say Rumble World fuck that stupid flaming bane of humanity ugh

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2017
    XY is not bad. In fact, I think it is overhated. Way overhated. It was easy, but maybe that's just to show you are better at playing video games as opposed to in the past? Or maybe it's cause of what, the new EXP share? Yeah...the 'off' button for it totally doesn't exist...oh wait it does. So if you feel that the game is too easy, why not turn the freaking thing off? And still having problems? Well challenge modes exist. Nuzruns have been my best pal for 3 good years for a reason.
    All in all, I like XY personally. The plot was meh, but it wasn't unbearable to the point I couldn't enjoy the game. I liked the variety of mons, and basically evrything about XY not named the plot worked well for me, and I don't see why lately people are bashing it. Same with ORAS but it's not hated as much.

If there were any games deserving of the francise going downhill I'd say Rumble World **** that stupid flaming bane of humanity ugh

XY needed sequels that's its problem..
    Though there's claims of SM have some XY connection..

Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen Jan 17, 2023
    Ooh goody, thread for me to rant about the newer games.

X/Y started out good, probably since I was all "ooh, pretty graphics..." but once all the "new" wore off, I started thinking about it and realized that they just... weren't that great. Say what you will about the plot, I actually didn't mind it (perhaps because I've just learned to not give a crap about the story of Pokemon games), but the games themselves just... needed some more... polish, I guess, and this continues into OR/AS.

The EXP. Share is so broken (and if you're gonna say you can turn it off, yes, you can, but see this image), some of the bosses have terrible movesets (Drake's special attacking Flygon (off of that amazing 80 special attack stat, I might add) has SCREECH, multiple recurring bosses have only one or two Pokemon, you're given incredibly overpowered Pokemon around halfway through the game (as mentioned in that image)... They're just so disappointing, especially when compared to Platinum-B2/W2, where bosses had multiple Pokemon, they had good movesets; heck, B2/W2 have a (poorly implemented) hard mode where bosses are actually given held items on ALL of their Pokemon that aren't Sitrus Berries! Heck, even in normal mode, Iris' Druddigon has Sheer Force + Life Orb with moves that take advantage of that!

And then there's the removal of the Battle Frontier, sans the Battle Tower clone. Like, come on, those were actually fun!

It's not all bad, though. I appreciate how EV training is easier in Gen VI, and how the characters in OR/AS were actually given more... well, character.

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2017
    Generation 6 did feel a bit stagnant, but what we've seen of generation 7 has been invigorating. I might change my tune later, but I think Pokemon is going to be better than ever.

Years
  • For some it is, for some it's not. I don't think that pokemon has fallen or has lost it's shine. People are actually getting bored for that similar game play and it's what making pokemon games recursive. It was case before pokemon go, but I think Pokemon Go has sparked the franchise again. People, who don't even know what pokemon was, are now playing Pokemon Red and Blue today.

As a result, you can see that Pokemon Sun and Moon are Nintendo's most pre-ordered game ever.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2017
    I don't think it's necessarily going downhill as much as it is stagnating for some of us who have been playing it since the very beginning. There are always changes with each game, but they're minor aesthetics which do little to enhance the gameplay, which has remained the same since the beginning. Sure, if it ain't broke then don't fix it, but you can also have too much of a good thing.

I suppose it depends on your personal preference. I have to admit that the games don't inspire the same excitement in me that they did when I was younger, but I still enjoy playing them...even the generations I've not liked as much due to the additions/removals they've made. Say what you will about Game Freak and Nintendo in general, but they have an admirable consistency in the quality of the titles they release.

Years
  • Games I would say are on an upswing even if they wont be the best in the sries, Pokemon GO, Sun, Moon and Pokemon NX game. As far as new Gen characters and story, yeah probably going down a bit!

Back