• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

It's A One-Hit KO!

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
  • One-Hit KO moves are moves that, when they successfully hit their target, they instantly KO the Pokemon, ignoring stat calculations and type advantages (except for type immunities). The drawback is, OHKO moves can only be used on Pokemon at the same or lower level than the user, and the smaller the difference between the two Pokemon's levels, the more likely it is to miss.

How often do you use OHKO moves? Do you find them to be useful in some circumstances, or do you think they're more trouble than they're worth due to how unreliable they are? If you do use them, which of the OHKO moves is your favorite?

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    I never use OHKO moves, they're way too luck-based and I've never seen one hit whenever I play any game. I've seen them hit a few times in Metro battles on Showdown but that's literally it.

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
    Years
  • I've never used them and I probably never will! I've been hit by them in competitive battles and it always infuriates me how unlucky I am to get hit by one when my Pokemon's level is equal to theirs xD It's just too unreliable for me and since I usually avoid moves like Hydro Pump for their accuracy, OHKO moves are a definite no for me xD

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
  • I always see them as something to do just for the fun of it and not something I would use in a real battle. There's no skill to them whatsoever; it's just luck.

I find it fun to just obliterate a bunch of wild Pokemon when you're like level 90-100, but OHKO are just too gimmicky and unreliable for me in serious battles.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • When I was younger, Horn drill was my favorite move hehe. I used it often in pokemon stadium. But now I don't use it anymore. I use a lot of luck in my battles (attract, confuse ray, etc) but these kind of move is too much luck in a battle.

Years
  • Not worth it to me. Unless I'm playing around, I will never pack such a move on a pokemon, because I would rather that slot be used for something a bit more useful. I used them in older gens, got annoyed because they never seemed to hit at all (yay bad luck), decided to never use them ever again.

(I'm partial to Sheer Cold myself. No idea why, I just am.)

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
    Years
  • OHKO moves are for the most part terrible in competitive, and they're even banned (there's an OHKO clause). The only time you'll see me use an OHKO move is in a random battle, and only if there aren't any better options for me to use.

Years
  • They're quite fun to use in-game. I remember having Fissure in Flygon and Sheer Cold with Walrein when I played Emerald. Depending on how lucky you are, OHKO moves could be useful with Pokemon that are complete tanks (like Lucy's Shuckle) but your 'mon will quickly end up becoming fodder if you miss continuously. Competitively, it's too risky using a move with such low accuracy, so I stay away from them when building online teams.

Years
  • I don't use them due to the low accuracy, and being too situational in that you need a significant level advantage to even have a chance of the move landing.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I'm not fond on any one-hit kills, it just make things pretty dull and it's very luck base since higher level means more chance to hit, same level no change and lower level lesser chance to hit (very luck base)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I've used them a few times before, but failed at executing them more than I succeeded.

It could be fun when they do hit, but they usually do not, and that's a big risk. In-game, I suppose trainers aren't that difficult to battle through, so we might be able to take as much risks as we please, but unfortunately, same can't be said when it comes to competitive.

Back