• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I saw the movie so the book is spoiled

Years
I don't really intend to read or watch something first, it just kind of depends on if I'm interested and see one form of the media before the other.

I do definitely feel that reading the book before seeing the movie can definitely take away from the movie, as then I'm constantly scrutinizing it and expecting the twists. However, it can be really pleasantly surprising to see how the movie brings the book to visual life. And the books I read do often lead me to watching the movie version of it.

On the other hand though, when I see the movie before the book I find it's a lot easier to enjoy the movie just for what it is, but I definitely do feel like I'm getting a shallower interpretation. And when I do see a movie before reading the book, sometimes I don't end up reading the book which is a shame as well.

I'm not really sure what I prefer doing, as both have their pros and cons. It honestly depends on how well the movie does at representing the book (and how good of a story the book is/how well written). The Hobbit was a better book than movie(s), but Game of Thrones (though not a movie) is a better show than book.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I watched the Giver after reading the book and the ending is just as WTFy. They didn't stay true to the book though!
Oh, so the books make more sense? Because I watched the movie only and it was... Weird :B

I still haven't decided on how to do with the last book in the Divergent trilogy. I did see the second movie before I read the book, and my sister said they changed a bit. Especially the ending. Sooooo.

SiriusAlpha

One and only
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 28, 2015
Oh, so the books make more sense? Because I watched the movie only and it was... Weird :B

I still haven't decided on how to do with the last book in the Divergent trilogy. I did see the second movie before I read the book, and my sister said they changed a bit. Especially the ending. Sooooo.

The books made more sense than the movie because the movie added a bunch of random Sci-Fi stuff that made no sense. Normally I'm all for Sci-Fi but the random spaceships and stuff made no sense and he did not try to get Fiona to run away with him in the book.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
Reading things gives you maximum detail and you can create the characters yourself, so I love reading. But live-action adaptations are good too when they're like Game of Thrones.

Back