• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

16x16 Tile Size Support

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
Years
  • I have been wondering this for a while, and for my most recent project I need it. Basically instead of the 32x32 tile size RMXP uses, I was wondering if there was a zooming script that could perhaps make the perspective be of that of a 16x16 tile sized game.

I have another idea that would work, but it would require getting a pixel movement script to work with essentials, and it would look messier.

Any help on this? I don't exactly expect to be able to map with 16x16 tiles, but atleast be able to zoom 50% would be amazing.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • I am bumping this thread. Please help me out, here.

I can't find anywhere in the scripts that's anything like Character_1, Character_2, Character_3, and Game_Map.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Essentials can already zoom to 50% size, where each tile takes up 16x16 pixels (as opposed to 32x32). There's a single setting in the script section Settings you should change to make this happen.

You just need to play around with the tilesets.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Do you mean the part that is set to 1.0? I've tried messing with it, but nothing seems to work. What should I set it to to zoom 50%?

mineox100

Hey.
    Years
  • #===============================================================================
    # * The default screen width (at a zoom of 1.0; size is half this at zoom 0.5).
    # * The default screen height (at a zoom of 1.0).
    [S-HIGHLIGHT]# * The default screen zoom. (1.0 means each tile is 32x32 pixels, 0.5 means
    # each tile is 16x16 pixels.)[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
    #===============================================================================
    DEFAULTSCREENWIDTH = 480
    DEFAULTSCREENHEIGHT = 320
    DEFAULTSCREENZOOM = 1.0

It says right there in the Settings section.
    Just set it to 0.5 and in game it will appear like 16x16.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Doesn't work for me. Is it possibly because I have changed my screen size to one that is smaller than the GBA Screen size?

mineox100

Hey.
    Years
  • Sorry for the double post, but I found something that might help.
    In the script section Resolution_ you can find this:
    Code:
    class Game_Map
      TILEWIDTH = 32
      TILEHEIGHT = 32
      XSUBPIXEL = $RPGVX ? 8 : 4
      YSUBPIXEL = $RPGVX ? 8 : 4
    You could change the TILEWIDTH and TILEHEIGHT to 16.

P.S. I didn't test this yet...

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Sorry for the double post, but I found something that might help.
    In the script section Resolution_ you can find this:
    Code:
    class Game_Map
      TILEWIDTH = 32
      TILEHEIGHT = 32
      XSUBPIXEL = $RPGVX ? 8 : 4
      YSUBPIXEL = $RPGVX ? 8 : 4
    You could change the TILEWIDTH and TILEHEIGHT to 16.

P.S. I didn't test this yet...
    Don't listen to this suggestion. These values should not be messed with, as they control the basic workings of the game (in part).

Seriously, changing the value of DEFAULTSCREENZOOM (in the Settings script section) to 0.5 is all you need to do. It is independent of the screen width and height. There's no way this wouldn't work. Try starting again from scratch.

If you're trying to do something special or clever, then tell us.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Don't listen to this suggestion. These values should not be messed with, as they control the basic workings of the game (in part).

Seriously, changing the value of DEFAULTSCREENZOOM (in the Settings script section) to 0.5 is all you need to do. It is independent of the screen width and height. There's no way this wouldn't work. Try starting again from scratch.

If you're trying to do something special or clever, then tell us.

The thing is, I'm trying to emulate Pokémon Crystal Version's complete entirety, and I wanted to make a 288x288 version and then a 144x144 sized version. For the 144x144 I would need to have a 16x16 tile sizing. When I change it to .5 with the resolution 288x288, nothing happens.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Game Boy resolution is 160x144.

The reason you're not seeing a change is because you have a savegame lying around which was saved at a zoom of 1.0 (and an existing savegame's resolution/zoom is used if possible). Go into C:\Users\Dave\Saved Games\Pokémon Essentials and delete the savegame file in there. Then you'll see the change immediately.

Alternatively, when opening the game, go into Options and change the screen resolution there. You'll see it works. Save the game at 0.5x zoom, quit and start it again. It still works.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Game Boy resolution is 160x144.

The reason you're not seeing a change is because you have a savegame lying around which was saved at a zoom of 1.0 (and an existing savegame's resolution/zoom is used if possible). Go into C:\Users\Dave\Saved Games\Pokémon Essentials and delete the savegame file in there. Then you'll see the change immediately.

Alternatively, when opening the game, go into Options and change the screen resolution there. You'll see it works. Save the game at 0.5x zoom, quit and start it again. It still works.

Thing is, the way Essentials is set up, is that when you have the resolution 320x288, you can see 4 1/2 tile padding on the sides, which in Gameboy you should only see 4. 288x288 supports 4 tile padding vertically and horizontally.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    In the Game Boy games, the player is not exactly centred. They're shifted 8 pixels to the left, so that there are 4 tiles on the left and 5 on the right.

I suppose it's possible to mimic this, but it sounds like it'd be a chore. Personally I'd make the game wider rather than narrower (i.e. 352x288), but that's just me. Since you're changing the screen size anyway from the original, why not have a bit more space?

Back