• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do people have against ubers?

Voltagenic

got djent?
Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2011
    I see, in every battle thread, NO UBERS.

What do people have against them?

..And don't tell me that bullcrap about "too strong", "no challenge". People only say that because they hate losing to people that use ubers.

Now, what's the REAL reason everyone's holding a grudge against ubers?

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Bullcrap indeed. -.- Ubers are by their very definition pokemon whose combination of statline, movepool, and trait puts them in a different class than most other pokemon species. Let's take Latios for instance; while holding Soul Dew (Assuming maximized Speed and SAtk EVs, as anyone with common sense would have it) it has the power to OHKO or two-hit KO everything except the toughest special walls. (That's SDef-geared Defense Deoxys, Lugia, and Blissey with maximized SDef and HP) Latios also has a very good Speed stat, meaning that most non-uber things won't even get a hit in on it, and even if you do get a hit on Latios it basically takes a CBed bug attack (Preferably Megahorn) or a seriously buffed up ice attack to OHKO it. Kyogre, on the other hand, enjoys a slightly less impressive sweeper statline but sets up permanent rain, turning plenty of swift swimmers into killing machines. (Choice Specs Kingdra, anyone?)

Sure, OUs (or even UUs) played right can beat ubers played bad, but that doesn't change the fact that - assuming equal or comparable skill levels - ubers have an unfair advantage over most pokemon from the other tiers. The fact that you would dismiss the obvious advantages of usually having at least 20 advantage in all base stats (coupled with a superior movepool and trait) as bullcrap only goes to prove that you obviously have no idea about what you're going on about. The tiers exist to match pokemon of comparable power levels with each other and thus create interesting battles where strategy is more important than brute force. (Hence why we also have distinctions between OU, UU, and NU. Putting Volbeat against Heracross just isn't cricket.) Putting ubers against regular tiers is about as fair as putting a heavyweight against a featherweight in wrestling. xP

So yeah, grow up, stop whining because people don't want to fight your Mewtwo/Kyogre/Aruseus/whatever, and learn some strategy. Either that or try putting on a search for uber players. Oh, and just for the heck of it; why don't you try defining what pokemon belong to uber for me? I'm honestly questioning whether you even know the correct answer to that.

Personally, my gripe with ubers is that they are primarily run by whiny, clueless people who think that randomly assembling the strongest species and slapping on the moves with the highest base power makes a strong team. This means that facing these people will just be a matter of whether or not they know what the heck those pokemon are good at doing (which most people don't) and quite a few times some sore loser decides to get testy because I KOed his Groudon with a Tangela. xP Restricting the most glaringly obvious beatsticks (Although I still don't see why the sucky Speed Deoxys made the cut) is basically a way to lessen the number of power-mashing idiots and create battles where you can actually learn something.

Last edited:

Voltagenic

got djent?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2011
    So yeah, grow up, stop whining because people don't want to fight your Mewtwo/Kyogre/Aruseus/whatever, and learn some strategy. Either that or try putting on a search for uber players. Oh, and just for the heck of it; why don't you try defining what pokemon belong to uber for me? I'm honestly questioning whether you even know the correct answer to that.

I'm not whining.

I never said I was trying to whine about anything.

And don't go saying some bullshit about how I supposedly have no strategy, as you don't even know how I battle.

So you shut the **** up, and stop assuming that I am like that.

Last edited:

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • I'm not whining.

I never said I was trying to whine about anything.

And don't go saying some bullshit about how I supposedly have no strategy, as you don't even know how I battle.

So you shut the **** up, and stop assuming that I am like that.

So why don't you answer my question correctly or counter my strategy-based arguments to prove me wrong, then? Folding your arms and spouting curses, good sir, seems like whining to me, as does this:
    Yoshimitsu said:
    ..And don't tell me that bullcrap about "too strong", "no challenge". People only say that because they hate losing to people that use ubers.

This is essentially a chidlish 'is not!' type denial of the argument and you have yet to support it by any proper reasoning. You haven't made any arguments; just spouted opinions. That isn't a discussion, which is what this section is for.

I've battled competitively through NetBattle long enough to know that no-one truly confident about their abilities and knowledge of strategy would react in such an infantile way. Yes, I'm partially guessing, but this is founded on several years of experience. Care to act your age and try to prove me wrong rationally or would you prefer to continue treating this like a swearing contest? Typing 'Bullshit' over and over again is not helping your case, you know.

Last edited:

Voltagenic

got djent?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2011
    Basically, you're just passing me off as a n00b, because I use ubers.

Now, where's the fairness in that?

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Basically, you're just passing me off as a n00b, because I use ubers.

Now, where's the fairness in that?

Now when did I claim to be fair? I prefer being honest about my opinions, thank you very much, so kindly keep your value judgements to yourself.

Incidentally, I'm not passing you off as a n00b because you use ubers; I'm saying that you don't know what you're talking about because you obviously don't understand why ubers have their own tier (If you did, you would never have started this thread), and the fact that you're still ignoring any opportunity to actually prove me wrong seems to be supporting my case. Fair or not, I base my opinions on evidence (namely, your posts here and simple facts about pokemon and their abilities) whereas you just seem to be typing things at random. Kindly define 'uber', at least; we can't really discuss something if we don't have a consensus about what that something is, at least not if we want that discussion to be 'fair' as you put it.

Voltagenic

got djent?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2011
    Now when did I claim to be fair? I prefer being honest about my opinions, thank you very much, so kindly keep your value judgements to yourself.

Incidentally, I'm not passing you off as a n00b because you use ubers; I'm saying that you don't know what you're talking about because you obviously don't understand why ubers have their own tier (If you did, you would never have started this thread), and the fact that you're still ignoring any opportunity to actually prove me wrong seems to be supporting my case. Fair or not, I base my opinions on evidence (namely, your posts here and simple facts about pokemon and their abilities) whereas you just seem to be typing things at random. Kindly define 'uber', at least; you can't really discuss something if we don't have a consensus about what that something is.

Well then.

You could've said that I didn't know what I was talking about, instead of saying I should get some strategy.

It would've prevented this turn of events.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Well then.

You could've said that I didn't know what I was talking about, instead of saying I should get some strategy.

It would've prevented this turn of events.

Ahh...so obviously this
    yours truly said:
    The fact that you would dismiss the obvious advantages of usually having at least 20 advantage in all base stats (coupled with a superior movepool and trait) as bullcrap only goes to prove that you obviously have no idea about what you're going on about.

isn't saying anything about that. -.- Seriously, read before you reply; that is what prevents stuff like this from happening.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for that definition of 'uber'. Funny how those parts of my posts always seem to escape your notice. :O

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • It didn't escape my notice, I'm just not doing it.

Still maintaining a mature attitude to this, I see. *Sigh* Fine, feel free to sulk for yourself, then. I won't take this further since it's obviously not going anywhere and neither of us wants a flame war, I'm sure. Just though I'd point out that if you're one of the many who equate ubers with legendaries then that would at least have made your argument understandable. As it is...actually, in line with the anti-flame war stance I think I'll just stop here and leave you to your preaching and creation of flaming threads. Hope you have lots of fun with them. :O

Last edited:

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • I basically skipped all other posts since I can't be bothered to read through it.
    Sorry if I say anything that is already covered.

I don't mind ubers at all, actually. In fact I use a Regice for battles against friends, and they don't seem to care.

I just think that there is a huge divide between "overpowered godlike ubers" and "plain ubers".
    For example, if you had the choice to use either an Uxie, Mesprit or Azelf, most likely you'll choose Uxie to use as a wall or Azelf as an attacker. Mesprit is much more mediocre and "standard" out of the three, and not a good choice in both cases. Heck, some people might not consider these three uber at all (that particular friend I was talking about thinks these three are uber, while I don't.)

It's hard to separate these two groups simply because of conflicting opinions, so I guess that's why people just generalize and "ban" ubers. It's easier that way after all.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • I basically skipped all other posts since I can't be bothered to read through it.
    Sorry if I say anything that is already covered.

I don't mind ubers at all, actually. In fact I use a Regice for battles against friends, and they don't seem to care.

I just think that there is a huge divide between "overpowered godlike ubers" and "plain ubers".
    For example, if you had the choice to use either an Uxie, Mesprit or Azelf, most likely you'll choose Uxie to use as a wall or Azelf as an attacker. Mesprit is much more mediocre and "standard" out of the three, and not a good choice in both cases. Heck, some people might not consider these three uber at all (that particular friend I was talking about thinks these three are uber, while I don't.)

It's hard to separate these two groups simply because of conflicting opinions, so I guess that's why people just generalize and "ban" ubers. It's easier that way after all.

Actually, you're one of the many who don't know the definition of 'uber', then. Ubers are precisely what you call 'overpowered godlike ubers'; pokemon with a base stat total of over 500 or exceptional movepools and/or traits that make them stand out. Those pokemon are:

Mew
    Mewtwo
    Wobbuffet
    Ho-oh
    Lugia
    Kyogre
    Groudon
    Latias
    Latios
    Rayquaza
    Deoxys
    Shaymin
    Darkrai
    Aruseus
    Cresselia (I'd still be okay with the use of this one, though, as there are so few walling pokemon that make the cut in D/P)
    Heatran
    Palkia
    Dialga

All legendaries not listed here fall into the OU tier. Also, note that one of the ubers is actually a non-legendary: Wobbuffet. This one is an exception because of the extremely powerful combination of the Shadow Tag trait, its counter attack moves and encore which basically assures that it will either KO whatever it switches into or mess it up so that the next switch-in can do as much. Mew is on the list with a 500 base stat total because of its incredibly wide movepool. Regular legendaries (Regi trio, legendary birds, legendary cats, celebi etc.) aren't disbalancingly powerful because - while many of them excel at something - they all have a very obvious and easily exploitable weakness to balance it out (Bug attacks for Celebi, Rock for the legendary birds, etc.). In other words; the examples you mentioned aren't uber. Ubers are, once again, the pokemon that can just plain overpower the OU species, making it an unfair fight. The psychic trio in D/P is hardly uber by any measure, just strong OUs.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • Actually, you're one of the many who don't know the definition of 'uber', then. Ubers are precisely what you call 'overpowered godlike ubers'; pokemon with a base stat of over 500 or exceptional movepools and/or traits that make them stand out. Those pokemon are:

Mew
    Mewtwo
    Wobbuffet
    Ho-oh
    Lugia
    Kyogre
    Groudon
    Latias
    Latios
    Rayquaza
    Shaymin
    Darkrai
    Aruseus
    Cresselia (I'd still be okay with the use of this one, though, as there are so few walling pokemon that make the cut in D/P)
    Heatran
    Palkia
    Dialga

All legendaries not listed here fall into the OU tier. Also, note that one of the ubers is actually a non-legendary: Wobbuffet. This one is an exception because of the extremely powerful combination of the Shadow Tag trait, its counter attack moves and encore which basically assures that it will either KO whatever it switches into or mess it up so that the next switch-in can do as much. Mew is on the list with a 500 base stat total because of its incredibly wide movepool. Regular legendaries (Regi trio, legendary birds, legendary cats, celebi etc.) aren't disbalancingly powerful because - while many of them excel at something - they all have a very obvious and easily exploitable weakness to balance it out (Bug attacks for Celebi, Rock for the legendary birds, etc.). In other words; the examples you mentioned aren't uber.
    I understand why Wobbuffet is there (though depending on the situation, you can use an attack buffing move while you're encore'd, then as soon as it's effects wear off, you can proceed to one-hit the Wobbuffet.)

However I don't get why Lati@s, Cresselia and Heatran are in the list. They also have definite weaknesses, and are allowed in the Battle Tower. I personally think that "ubers" allowed in the Tower don't count as "mega ubers."
    (Obviously, I'm not counting Soul Dew on the Lati family.)

[As a side note]: I've seen some horrible battle rules where they listed the Regi's as banned ubers while the Dogs were OK X(

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • I understand why Wobbuffet is there (though depending on the situation, you can use an attack buffing move while you're encore'd, then as soon as it's effects wear off, you can proceed to one-hit the Wobbuffet.)

However I don't get why Lati@s, Cresselia and Heatran are in the list. They also have definite weaknesses, and are allowed in the Battle Tower. I personally think that "ubers" allowed in the Tower don't count as "mega ubers."
    (Obviously, I'm not counting Soul Dew on the Lati family.)

Well, first off: after Wobbuffet encores, it's not going to stick around; it will be switched out and replaced with a sweeper than can either buff up for a whole-team sweep (like Salamence/Rayquaza) or just bash down the helpless opponent in one shot (CB Heracross etc.).

The Latis are there because of - as you mentioned - Soul Dew. That and the fact that they are pretty adept at covering their weakness for Ice while posessing a movepool and statline capable of handling the other candidate for the sweep: bugs. Also, they both have a base stat total of 510, placing them in the category by the definition of general stat advantage. Their movepools are powerful too, as a it's not hard at all for Latias to settle down with Calm Mind buffing (Which makes all special attacks futile) while shrugging off damage with Recover and finally sweeping through the whole of the opponent's team with buffed-through-the-roof STAB attacks. Latios is even more of a threat because of its 130 base SAtk, which basically means that even without Soul Dew it's a brutal all-out sweeper with the speed to match while also posessing high to decent defensive stats to keep it from being KOed. Generally, all the uber definitions from Advance down have been developed through practical experience on NetBattle. The latis were moved up, I believe, because they basically overshadowed all non-uber special sweepers. (Alakazam, Starmie, etc.) And of course, banning held items is a lot trickier than banning pokemon species.

Heatran I'm actually not 100% sure of, although the stat total is high. It does have a rather weak Speed and a double Ground weak so it might be categorized as OU. *Shrug* I personally wouldn't mind it. Cresselia is there for the pure statline ownage, as its base totals top 500, although as I said: I personally wouldn't mind having Cresselia as an OU either. Still, I guess it looks too much like defense form Deoxys with the abbysmal HP and attack powers (the exploitable weak-spots) patched up. 130 SDef, 120 Def, and 120 HP in base stats combined with a decent SAtk is a very frustrating combination.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Well if you dont like the soul dew then just ban that held item....That'll take Lati family off the uber list and allow them to be used...
    Honestly I dont see why ppl hate ubers so much either....All Ubers have weaknesses...and while some of their weaknesses arent big they are there and all it takes is a smart person to exploit it....no pokemon is invincible That goes doubly for ubers....All ubers have a down side....trust me I know....I've been training the buggers ingame for years....I've had every strategy imaginable thrown at me since i started playing pokemon....all ingame....I have intensely studied all uber's stats...some of them may have 1 awesome stat but the rest are just Above average and 1 is even horrible...no true overpowered Pokemon would have stats like that....

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Well if you dont like the soul dew then just ban that held item....That'll take Lati family off the uber list and allow them to be used...
    Honestly I dont see why ppl hate ubers so much either....All Ubers have weaknesses...and while some of their weaknesses arent big they are there and all it takes is a smart person to exploit it....no pokemon is invincible That goes doubly for ubers....All ubers have a down side....trust me I know....I've been training the buggers ingame for years....I've had every strategy imaginable thrown at me since i started playing pokemon....all ingame....I have intensely studied all uber's stats...some of them may have 1 awesome stat but the rest are just Above average and 1 is even horrible...no true overpowered Pokemon would have stats like that....

Umm...no, that's just plain wrong. Yes, every uber can be beaten, but the point is that they still have an unfair advantage over most OUs. Also, no uber has a horrible score in anything (Except Deoxys, but most forms have insane scores in other stats to compensate for it). 70 to 80 base is high average, and most ubers exceed that in all categories. Try, for instance, to find me a 'weak' stat on Arceus. If you're arguing that most OUs (some of which don't have a single base stat of 120) could fight that thing on equal ground then you seriously don't know what you're talking about. Pokemon of that calibre should be kept separate from the others in order to widen the use of pokemon species (and thus strategies and combinations) and make this game more ineresting. Above 500 in base stat total means that you have - on average - 100 base in each stat, which is considered very strong for good reason. If an uber has a weak in one stat it means that the others will be that much stronger. If anything, the ones with equal spreads close to 500 are the weakest. :O The only exceptions to the high base stats thing are Speed Deoxys (which has a ridiculous amount in Speed and nothing to make that Speed worthwhile) and Regigigas (Because it has a major debiliating trait to par it down). You're honestly not making any more sense to me with this than you did with your silly argument about having Return on Swampert. .__.

To recap: 'uber' and the other tiers exist for the same reason that weight classes exist in wrestling and similar sports. Arguing for the total abolishment of such makes very little sense as they were put there for very good reasons.

Last edited:

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Sorry, but why is Wobbuffet considered an Uber? It isn't exactly a legendary.

<curious>

Wobbuffet is considered uber because of its ability to trap and then either KO or mess up any given opponent. Shadow Tag is hands down one of the strongest traits in the game, as it just locks down all switching, meaning that any given all-out sweeper will be dead meat because Wobbuffet's godly HP (190 base) will let it soak up basically any attack and give it back double with Counter or Mirror Coat. Against the ones with non-damaging moves, it can use Encore to lock them on their stalling move and then the Wobbuffet player can switch in a suitable counter or a pokemon that can use the free turn to set up and possibly even sweep the opponents team with the gained boost (E.g. Tyranitar, Salamence or Gyarados). It could also be a choice item sweeper like Medicham or Aerodactly that will land several heavy hits on the opponent (most likely resulting in at least one KO) after which Wobbuffet can be switched in again to repeat the process. The title of 'uber' is not about being legendary; it's just that most of the really high-stat wide-movepool pokémon (The ones with obvious advantages in battle, such as Arceus) are legendaries. As I said: lower-tier legendaries (Legendary birds, legendary cats, Regi trio etc.) don't count as uber because their power is comparable to (or in some cases even overshadowed by) a sizeable group of other pokémon and thus they aren't disbalancingly strong opponents.

Last edited:

Das Ende

Refresh
    Years
  • I don't see what's bad about using ubers. I don't use them myself, they're just too...well...overused, you could say. You're taking the point out of it - I think the reason there is a rule like the is because their base stats are higher than other pokemon and therefore giving you the upper hand. To keep things fair, people can include that rule. It's really no big deal. I think other non-ubers or non-legendaries can achieve good stats if trained right.

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
  • Wobbuffet can also Encore and then they will know EXACTLY what move the pokemon will use, and know how to counter/mirror coat it, you seemed to forget it, so can Wynaut, hence why he's on most UBER lists too. And then he can destiny bond if he's low on health, taking out 2-3 of one persons pokemon with just one pokemon.

Back