• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

pocky-monster jurney fam 5.0

Which of the thought-of ideas do you like the most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
But it clearly would take on a mature route, that Pokemon are feral creatures intent on killing to assert their dominance.

To be fair, Pokemon don't literally have to "die". The entire Nuzlocke-themed situation could just be a competition or "harder" version of the traditional League challenge where you're not allowed to continue training a Pokemon if they faint in battle.

Emakrul

To Hell and Back
Years
  • Age 30
  • yes
  • Seen Jun 6, 2016
Why are you defending something that was never attacked? You said "gym badges are a 'side track'", originally, and I said "never seen it" because I thought you were referring to Pokemon journey roleplays as a whole and not an isolated story-telling element. I also asked you these questions:
1. "I assume you just prefer basic bones Pokemon journey-style roleplays as they are, then?" Would you prefer a journey roleplay in their common, formula-following state instead of something more out there or unorthodox?
2. "Would you rather, perhaps, a Pokemon journey roleplay... focus more on trumping the antagonists rather than fulfilling the League challenge?" Would you prefer a journey roleplay maintain the gym challenge as a priority, just like the games, or would you rather the antagonists be prioritized farther than that? Videogame plots and roleplay plots can afford to be different in how they go about unfolding themselves because they're different mediums. Therefore, your argument about the "doors"—using your metaphor—being a good plot-pacer doesn't necessarily have to apply to both.

and way to ignore my question to you, adventure. gj.

1. I've never done a bare bones journey rp.

2. Good point.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
I like the idea of making the Gym challenge a side plot for those interested in doing it and making defeating an evil organization the main goal as it just seems like a more defined goal then the gym challenge. For those who may be uninterested in the Gym challenge then have something else to focus on, as well as other small side plots that they could tackle when they arise.

Junier

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Cool, cool.

Anyway, I'm gonna follow through with that poll idea in a few.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years
although i haven't read through everyone's posts (tl;dr) i voted for the bad guy idea, the gym leader idea, and the nuzlockey one.

all three are rather interesting and i'd love to see them played out. i did have an idea for a pokemon evil team rp quite a while back, but it never went anwhere

FireSnow

Years
I also like the Gym leader aspiration and Nuzlocke inspired ones as well as a more structured, chapter like RP as those seem to do fairly well and I like the structure of them.

Junier

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Almost forgot that I could vote too, lmao

I feel obligated to vote for Option #2. The idea of a chapter'd journey RP would really get things moving in something that could potentially go stale very quickly and time restraints wouldn't be an issue with proper OOC communication, I believe. I'm also not completed opposed to journeying in a fan-made region with even fan-made Pokemon. Just keeps things refreshing, and there are a plethora of amazing "fakemon" that aren't, like, sparkledogs.

FireSnow

Years
Seems like the players as the bad guys and the contest/pokeathlete RPs are pretty well-liked. Hmmm maybe I should start looking into one of these. I've been wanting to GM lately and this would be a good starting point for an idea.

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
Years
I really love the idea of a twisted journey. One of my favourite fan fictions is "A smell of Petroleum prevails throughout." By Cutlerine, which basically had eldritch abominations chase the protagonist. It also had an interesting readers control the character concept... But mainly it was a dark and twisted version of the Johto story.

But contest stars also sounds interesting, if difficult to pull off

Parivir

rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Years
It's interesting to see people's thoughts on this as it's always been something that's crossed my mind in building RP premises (and something I've tried to implement with the Steampunk x Pokemon idea I posted a while back)

I think the most pressing issue that journey RPs seem to have is that they're generally very predictable. To me the OP always feels like "here's the premise, now go!" and you can kinda see where it's all going.

I do quite like options #1 and #6, because I feel like dark RPs are very underdone here on PC.

Back