• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Microsoft calling it quits on Internet Explorer

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
Source.

Microsoft had decided to hang up Internet Explorer and start fresh with a new web browser dubbed "Project Spartan." This is supposed to be the major web browser for Windows 10 when it is released, but Internet Explorer will still exist for Windows 10 because of 'enterprise compatibility.'

Thoughts, opinions, and discussion on Internet Explorer is very much recommended, as well as discussions on Microsoft's venture in starting fresh and putting IE behind them and what they can do to be successful.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Knowing Internet Explorer's bad reputation from all over the internet community, people would see this as a good thing, but who knows how well will Microsoft's new web browser will be like.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
I say it's about time they retired IE.

I'm a bit cagey about trying out any new browsers released by Microsoft, but I will have to keep an eye on this 'Spartan' browser they're working on. Though I suppose if it becomes the 'new IE' for 10 then we'll have no choice but to use it on the comps in college...

Last edited:

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
I careless for IE since IE have been targeted for exploit on decades and majority IE 10/11 may freeze and causing programs that dependently needed to hung up and crash. I hope the next gen browser after IE will be more secure, faster and better

Years
It'll be interesting to hear how Project Spartan turns out, but at least they finally killed Internet Explorer because it was feeling inferior to rivals such as Firefox and Google Chrome which had much better features and such.

The anti-IE group are pretty much rejoicing at this if I sum it up.

Melody

Banned
Years
Glad to see MSIE go away; but I am suspicious of the way they're phasing it out. I don't want to see it shambling around like XP did for so long. Microsoft had better put it out of it's misery quickly...or people will refuse to move away from MSIE.

People already hate 8. They're going to want to kneejerk hate this too as it carries on for 10.

Microsoft had better step on some toes quick this time and axe MSIE as soon as this project gets completely off the ground. And they had better not let the MSIE developers on the team...I don't want another MS<whatever>.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
The recent IE's arn't that bad but most people don't give them the chance, the most qualms I have with IE9 is that its a little slow starting up, and the tabs are to the side of the url bar. But I heard a lot of good things about Project Spartan, like its pretty fast. I kinda want to try W10 myself.

Drayton

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
The recent IE's arn't that bad but most people don't give them the chance, the most qualms I have with IE9 is that its a little slow starting up, and the tabs are to the side of the url bar. But I heard a lot of good things about Project Spartan, like its pretty fast. I kinda want to try W10 myself.

Why not give Windows 10 preview a try.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
Why not give Windows 10 preview a try.

I know, I mean too, just don't want to totally ruin my laptop if anything goes wrong, and I'm not techy enough to create a new portion of my hard-drive for it (not that I have the space) or to use Virtual Machines. I do have a old computer and a old laptop with a broken screen but able to connect to a tv though, should try the laptop.

Drayton

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Well I tried the preview before, but I give a BSOD and reverts back to 7. So nothing wrong with tasting it

Years
I saw a headline for this in my Facebook feed yesterday, but I'm still not sure on what to think of this. Sure, IE has been a headache for many these past several years, but at the same time, they have been ever-so-slowly improving with IE as well.

Ever since the release of IE 9 and beyond, it has become as good a browser as Chrome/Firefox, as it's been very much on par with handling CSS, IMO. I occasionally use IE myself to test some things, and it's smooth. It's just verisons 8 and prior that created a bad image for the browser because of its lack of compatibility with certain CSS elements, and even transparency of images (I'm looking at you, IE6).

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I heard the news about the Project Spartan, and I wished that Microsoft started to improve the things that IE lacked, even though personally, IE is starting to getting better nowadays and a bit on par with many competitors (namely Firefox, Opera, Chrome), even though I rarely used it nowadays. Besides, I hope Project Spartan could get rid of bad image that IE have received for years.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
It's about time haha. IE is nothing but a headache for us poor developers.

"(Insert cool HTML5 or Javascript or CSS feature here) is not supported by Internet Explorer."

Can't count how many times I've read that. IE 11 was pretty decent though, so I've got fairly high hopes for their new browser.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Well, they're changing name only because, even if they made the best browser, people would still use Chrome because "IE is slow and shitty".

Back