• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    the only issue with avatar is that there is only one avatar, which presents a problem when you have at least 3 or more players. I think SV had an avatar Roleplay a long time ago which you can try and track down for ideas.

but yeah my only suggestion would be that you either have multiple avatars for some weird reason or just not include the avatar at all. be at a time when the avatar is too young, or too old, or recently died.

Reactions: SV

SV

See You Space Cowboy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2022
    the only issue with avatar is that there is only one avatar, which presents a problem when you have at least 3 or more players. I think SV had an avatar Roleplay a long time ago which you can try and track down for ideas.

but yeah my only suggestion would be that you either have multiple avatars for some weird reason or just not include the avatar at all. be at a time when the avatar is too young, or too old, or recently died.

I remember that one. The idea in the RP is that the Avatar had just died, and the world was in some crisis so it was up to regular benders (and non-benders) to save it. I think that's the only way a Rp like that could work, because otherwise someone's going to be the Avatar, and everyone else won't, which isn't really as fun, or fair.

I still think you should make the RP if that's what you wanna do, though! Avatar is awesome so I might consider joining if I have time.

Turnip

Magnificent Turnip
    Years
  • I think the Avatar could easily still be involved as an NPC, perhaps as a little babby Avatar who everyone needs to protect from the eeevil peeoples who want to kill the little babby Avatar.

All-in-all, so long as the RP is based on the series rather than the film (curse you, Shalamalamadingdong) then it's a pretty nice RP setting, and the modern take seems like it would actually be able to work somewhat. I suppose there could be issues in how far the modernity is actually taken into effect, for something to think about. Bending, great though it is, would probably be outclassed in many respects by a good ol' gun :P That's an issue for the RP to sort out, though, and I'm interested to see how it'd work out.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2015
    Hi guys, I'm new to RPing was wondering if there are any recommendations and tips for beginners

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020

I remember that one. The idea in the RP is that the Avatar had just died, and the world was in some crisis so it was up to regular benders (and non-benders) to save it. I think that's the only way a Rp like that could work, because otherwise someone's going to be the Avatar, and everyone else won't, which isn't really as fun, or fair.

I still think you should make the RP if that's what you wanna do, though! Avatar is awesome so I might consider joining if I have time.

That's a good point, but in that respect, that RP isn't exactly focused on the Avatar saving the world. Rather, it would be focused on The Avatar's conflict with the False Avatar, and how they both are forced to deal with World's Government. So, there'd could potentially be these characters:
    1.) Avatar
    2.) False Avatar
    3.) Government Agent (x number for different nations in the world)
    4.) Red Lotus members (x number)
    5.) Benders Gathered by the Real Avatar (x number)

The only way I see it being a major problem is if everyone gets in a fight about who plays the "avatar" role. Which frankly, I don't want to be the Avatar, so I'm assuming others would feel this way.

Alternatively, however, I've had another idea, too. Raava and Vaatu are "destroyed" by someone along the line. But in actuality, their power was only fragmented which gave rise to no true Avatar, but a handful of Benders who had control over multiple elements. There could be a group of those with Raava's influence and another with Vaatu's influence. This could essentially lead to those with the same spirit to band together to reach their full power due to the resonance of the spirits' fragments when close together.

I'm thoroughly okay with exploring either idea, depending on which one is more interesting to the community.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2015
    Alternatively, however, I've had another idea, too. Raava and Vaatu are "destroyed" by someone along the line. But in actuality, their power was only fragmented which gave rise to no true Avatar, but a handful of Benders who had control over multiple elements. There could be a group of those with Raava's influence and another with Vaatu's influence. This could essentially lead to those with the same spirit to band together to reach their full power due to the resonance of the spirits' fragments when close together.

Going with an idea like that what you could do is make 2 separate RP, the first being a prologue for the idea mentioned above. What you could also do is actually have the person who destroyed the two lead an organization for this have the people from around PC join in as his subordinates. After that you could have the 2nd part take place a number of years afterwords where a war between Vaatu's group, Raava's group and a group being led by the one who "destroyed" Vaatus and Raava has started. From there you could do something like a fourth group forming as a peace keeping group and have them seek those with the spirits fragments and recruit them to end the war or something along those lines.
    Sorry if any of this sounded really vague.

Last edited:

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    Going with an idea like that what you could do is make 2 separate RP, the first being a prologue for the idea mentioned above. What you could also do is actually have the person who destroyed the two lead an organization for this have the people from around PC join in as his subordinates. After that you could have the 2nd part take place a number of years afterwords where a war between Vaatu's group, Raava's group and a group being led by the one who "destroyed" Vaatus and Raava has started. From there you could do something like a fourth group forming as a peace keeping group and have them seek those with the spirits fragments and recruit them to end the war or something along those lines.
    Sorry if any of this sounded really vague.

No, I get what you're saying. But rather than make 2 separate RPs, I think it would work better to have one RP, which is the idea that I said, and through that RP, they began to find out why they came to be, essentially explaining the "prologue"

Yamagi Sosuke

Hope & Ambition
    Years
  • Heya guys, don't mean to interrupt your Avatar discussion but I just want to put this Here lol.

Its a [Other] roleplay about a earth shattering war thats about to be unleashed by Four Gods and their Disciples. Its not first-come-first-serve, I'm picking the best of the best. Sooo, if it interests you, please take a shot at it.

Also, I think the idea of the Avatar being in your RP is a bit unusual but I like it. Roleplays are more so about making your character come alive. If you're more focused on being the strongest, than you're not really interested in it anyway. I think it could work, just take the spot as Avatar for yourself and make it worth being different Benders :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2015
    @Yamagi- sounds like a cool idea, but i wont try and join, to new to try :P. Also, what we're talking bout with avatar is making the RP without there being an avatar and what story lines and such can go with that.

@ANARCHit3cht- so what you're sayin is that as the RP goes on the past will be revealed to the characters and the readers? cause if so that's definitely a better idea than mine lol, it gives the past for it an air of mystery which makes it really intriguing

Yamagi Sosuke

Hope & Ambition
    Years
  • @Yamagi- sounds like a cool idea, but i wont try and join, to new to try :P. Also, what we're talking bout with avatar is making the RP without there being an avatar and what story lines and such can go with that.

@ANARCHit3cht- so what you're sayin is that as the RP goes on the past will be revealed to the characters and the readers? cause if so that's definitely a better idea than mine lol, it gives the past for it an air of mystery which makes it really intriguing

I knew that Paskalso, just thought I'd add in my opinion; thanks for letting me know though. I don't think its necessary to take him out, honestly. Just eliminate the choice and its the same as if he wasn't even there.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2015
    I knew that Paskalso, just thought I'd add in my opinion; thanks for letting me know though. I don't think its necessary to take him out, honestly. Just eliminate the choice and its the same as if he wasn't even there.

ehh well either way it works, and np. There's a lot that would go into an RP like that so whatever works right? But i personally do think that without the avatar being there it'll make the RP easier to apply for and easier for the GM to deal with apps as well.

Geras

Roleplayer
    Years
  • Magic and Sir Bastian actually made an Avatar RP a little less than a year ago, taking place after the death of Avatar Korra. The way they went about choosing the Avatar in that one was that they had everyone submit their SUs with no history, then the GMs decided who they felt would be the most fitting Avatar. Then everyone filled in their histories accordingly.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2015
    Magic and Sir Bastian actually made an Avatar RP a little less than a year ago, taking place after the death of Avatar Korra. The way they went about choosing the Avatar in that one was that they had everyone submit their SUs with no history, then the GMs decided who they felt would be the most fitting Avatar. Then everyone filled in their histories accordingly.

That's another way do doing it. Well there's so much that could go into and be decided on in RP like this, it just up to the GM preference.
    ANARCHit3cht were you thinking bout being the GM for this?

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    That's another way do doing it. Well there's so much that could go into and be decided on in RP like this, it just up to the GM preference.
    ANARCHit3cht were you thinking bout being the GM for this?

Yes I was, although the role of "creator" fits it better. That seems like an idea that could work, and I might even implement it depending on what peoples' interests are.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2015
    Yes I was, although the role of "creator" fits it better. That seems like an idea that could work, and I might even implement it depending on what peoples' interests are.

Yeah, it does sound better lol. And I hope you do, it would be an interesting and fun RP to do

Years
  • Mine have a tendency to fizzle out by the third or fourth chapter so I'm steering clear of them myself right now. Adventure can usually be counted upon to start one up though, I think she was going to revive Crossroads soon (I think she said that).

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • Are people still into Journey RPs? I'm itching to join one, tbh. o/
    Personally I love them, but not that many people seem very into the concept of actually having to train and capture pokémon in a roleplay setting. I tried to start one a few months ago, which was a reboot of one that I had been slowly working on for about two years, and, whether it was because I was just bad at getting things started or because people weren't interested in a journey roleplay at the time, it didn't even get off the ground. The only times I've really been in a journey roleplay are when

Adventure can usually be counted upon to start one up though
    she happens.
    The only reason I'm not joining what a Beautiful World right now is because I don't really have the time, and once school starts, I really won't have the time.

What all happens in a journey RP?
    It's basically a roleplay that emulates a pokémon journey, to varying degrees. You start off with a low leveled pokémon and go around the region to train and catch pokémon, as well as complete a goal, which is often the "collect the gym badges and defeat an evil organization" formula of the main series Pokémon games.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back