• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Black and White

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    So,for some days I have been wondering why people hate Black and White in the anime so much?What is wrong about it?

I haven't saw the whole Series yet but know that Ash lost to a stupid kid who used 5 Pokemon in the Quarter Finals,but is this the only reason?I also know he had a very bad team(very very bad).

I think that all the hate toward Black and White series isn't justified. Ash's companios were pretty cool, same as the new pokemon introduced in this generation.
    The only thing which kept bugging me is the final arc, where they travel their way back to kanto through boring islands with no real purpose.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I think that all the hate toward Black and White series isn't justified. Ash's companios were pretty cool, same as the new pokemon introduced in this generation.
    The only thing which kept bugging me is the final arc, where they travel their way back to kanto through boring islands with no real purpose.

Probably the only good things were that Iris from what I heard likely wasn't a Hina stereotype (though that's in the gray area since unlike Misty and Princess vs. Princess, we don't have a situation that would confirm it or not), Iris at least actually WAS allowed to pursue her goals when she left (unlike Misty who both the writers and her sisters basically forced into resuming Gym Leader duties that she doesn't even like going by her final main episode appearance in AG), and that Ash's Charizard actually was upgraded to a semi-permanent roster in Ash's team by being Oaked instead of loaned out (all that's left is Squirtle to be Oaked). Other than that, it was horrid. Having Ash lose to what was pretty obviously a rookie who was literally just starting out and a snot-nosed bratty one at that (honestly, at least with Paul, as big of a jerk as he is, at least actually had the experience level to back up his arrogance. Trip basically made Ash his female dog just as he was literally out the door and often mocked Ash when he has no real reason to do so. Even for the usual level resets, this was way too much. Not even Zekrom disabling Pikachu's electric attacks can be used as an excuse especially when Pikachu still has Iron Tail.). Ash basically lost too many times and made so many mistakes that even Indigo League Ash actually seemed smart by comparison. Barring a certain gym battle which also was done badly in how Ash lost, most of the Gym Leaders were treated even worse than Hoenn's Gym Leaders (honestly, as bad as they were especially when they lost to rookie Pokémon, at least Ash actually seemed like he knew what he was doing), they butchered Team Plasma, not to mention Team Rocket was basically brutalized in a half-baked attempt at making them serious (which if anything was done extremely poorly, the Meowth double agent arc comes to mind), they foolishly skipped the Pokémon World Conference (which is even worse since that would have been a perfect opportunity to at the very least give Misty actual closure, especially when her last appearance gave the sense that she really didn't like being a Gym Leader), they brought Dawn back even when she literally had no real business in Unova in the first place precisely because there are no contests in Unova (honestly, at least May had that Wallace Cup that was giving out that transregional ribbon as an excuse for returning in DP temporarily, and at least Misty was forced out of her goal by her sisters so she didn't need to put it on hold to visit Ash). And then there's how Ash lost the Unova league. Not only did he do the unprecedented and come out at a far worse rank than the prior region (Top 8 after he got Top 4 in Sinnoh, are you kidding me?! Even AG, which until Best Wishes was the absolute worst series period, at least had him retain the rank he earned in Johto), and lose to Cameron, someone who actually made even BW Ash seem smart by comparison (only having seven badges, not realizing the Unova League was in Unova, and bringing in five Pokémon to a six on six match, not to mention getting Ash lost a few times). That loss made even Tobias' win seem reasonable. Sure, Tobias basically stole Ash's victory by using Legendaries, but at least he actually knew what he was doing. And to make matters worse, unlike with AG, where Ash at least made up for the terrible turnout that was Hoenn by competing in and actually winning the Battle Frontier, he wasn't even allowed to participate in something similar, even during the Decolore Islands arc.

Years
  • Not monly that, but people also counted Iris and Cilan as the whorst companions of Ash. With Cilan's connoisseur talk and Iris' extremely annoying voice and stupid running jokes that everybody on the show finds funny (e.g. Iris says: "How quickly he forgets!" and Ash, Cilan, Iris, Axew, Pikachu and N laugh), complaints can come easily.
    I actually found that my most fovourite episodes were in Black and White (the episodes withy Team Plasma and N), so I shouldn't really complain too much.

Sir Codin

It started off okay, but numerous aspects of the series took it into a dive. Here are some of the things that grinded my gears:

- The cancellation of the original Team Plasma plot.
    - Ash's character reset. They threw out pretty much every bit of maturation and learning experience he had acquired in the seasons prior and instead emphasized and even ELECTRIFIED many of the worst aspects of his character in the Original series.
    - Iris turned out to be a disappointment. Not only did she turn out to be even more of a bitch than Misty, she was a massive hypocrite as well.
    - Cilan's antics got boring after a while.
    - None of the Gym battles were interesting. I was honestly more entertained by the Don George tournaments than the Gym Battles...mostly because of the next point.
    - Many of the rivals were more interesting as characters than the mains themselves (Burgundy, Georgia, Bianca, Stephan), but not all of them.
    - Cameron. Seriously, this fucking kid...

There's probably more I could think of, but that's a good start.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    Storyboarders were on something when they thought this up lol. There is a reason why people will always harp on BW, and that's because it just wasn't that good. A pseudo-OS throwback is a decent idea, but the execution and a lot of little details were hilariously bad. I know others have listed what they thought was bad, but I'll list mine.

- 1st battle vs Trip, because apparently a Pikachu who just came off a tie with Latios can lose to a brand new Snivy with a brand new trainer.
    - Rivalries were all lackluster; no rival really had a good rivalry with the main characters.
    - Trip, because they thought they could catch lightning in a bottle after Paul. And they didn't even give him a league battle vs. Ash.
    - Cameron, because he was nothing but an idiot, and a worse excuse for Ash losing in the league than Tobias was
    - Iris; annoying, whiny, that Dragonite is a whole separate issue.
    - Iris's Dragonite; "but Dawn got a Togekiss as a gift". Because Togekiss is a pseudo legendary?
    - Battles in general were terrible. The Elesa and Roxie battles were a joke.
    - Dawn's obligatory and pointless cameo was pointless.
    - The league was a massive turd; it was rushed, and the main rival Trip didn't get his last shot at Ash.
    - Team Plasma; what a joke. I usually give this a little slack because of B2W2 games
    - Decolore Arch; What a joke lol. Filler hell exemplified. There is no excuse for not giving rivals more exposure while forcing this joke of twenty episodes down our throats.

Honestly, there's probably more that I'm not thinking of that I didn't like, but you get the idea.

Years
  • I've hate the anime since the Diamond and Pearl days. It just is super low quality to me and not as intense and great or even memorable as the RSE and other series before them. X and Y anime is the same to be honest. Still love the games though.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Storyboarders were on something when they thought this up lol. There is a reason why people will always harp on BW, and that's because it just wasn't that good. A pseudo-OS throwback is a decent idea, but the execution and a lot of little details were hilariously bad. I know others have listed what they thought was bad, but I'll list mine.

- 1st battle vs Trip, because apparently a Pikachu who just came off a tie with Latios can lose to a brand new Snivy with a brand new trainer.

Yeah, and not even the fact that Zekrom basically disabled Pikachu's electrical abilities is an excuse, especially when Pikachu still had Iron Tail and thus could just use that against that smug brat's starter Pokémon to knock it out.

- Rivalries were all lackluster; no rival really had a good rivalry with the main characters.

Yeah, certainly Trip didn't. They really could have spiced things up by actually having Ash form a rivalry by beating a rival upon first meeting for a change (after all, Goku and Vegeta became rivals not from Goku losing to Vegeta, but from Vegeta effectively losing to Goku).

- Trip, because they thought they could catch lightning in a bottle after Paul. And they didn't even give him a league battle vs. Ash.

Agreed. Especially when Paul, unlike Trip, was already implied since his third episode to already be a veteran well before his Torterra basically confirmed it. Trip just somehow managed to beat Ash despite his literally being out of the door to his first regional league journey.

- Cameron, because he was nothing but an idiot, and a worse excuse for Ash losing in the league than Tobias was

Agreed. It's bad enough that it made even BW Ash seem extremely astute and intelligent by comparison, and let me point out that Ash in this was the most stupid idiotic version of him thus far. At least Indigo League Ash had newbishness as an excuse for his stupidity at times. Seriously, Tobias may have basically stolen Ash's thunder by using legendaries as a cheap excuse to have Ash lose the Sinnoh League (and all because the idiot writers decided to procrastinate all the way through Sinnoh, especially when it was all but made very clear Ash would at the very least actually challenge the Elite 4 after the league), but at least he actually knew what he was doing. Cameron won against Ash despite all of his idiocy (including registering to a 6 on 6 match with only five Pokémon.).

- Iris; annoying, whiny, that Dragonite is a whole separate issue.

If she's actually as bad as May and Dawn, I might actually have to reconsider whether she was actually a Hina stereotype. Shame. I actually thought we got a non-Hina after Misty was tastelessly removed. Speaking of Misty, I'll cover something else later in reply to your later points. I initially placed her in the gray area since I heard she was similar to Misty, meaning she likely wasn't a Hina stereotype, and only because we never AFAIK got anything specifically confirming she wasn't [something akin to how Misty proved herself to not be one by not squealing like animals alongside the Fiorello Fangirls in Princess vs. Princess], but based on what you and others said, I may have to just place her in the Hina stereotype, so it's even worse. Still... at least Iris actually was allowed to continue her journey instead of being forced to quit by the official gym leader, unlike Misty who despite her clearly wanting to become a Water Pokémon Master, was forced by her sisters to quit and resume Gym Leader duties.

- Iris's Dragonite; "but Dawn got a Togekiss as a gift". Because Togekiss is a pseudo legendary?

In all fairness, Togekiss, while not exactly a Pseudo Legendary, nonetheless is an extremely rare Pokémon that most trainers cannot actually dream of getting (heck, Togepi themselves are strongly implied to be rare enough that the only way to actually find some are in a pocket dimension in Hoenn), so it was pretty bad that Dawn got it. At least Iris actually caught hers and had some difficulty. Though that being said, that did still come across as cheap.

- Battles in general were terrible. The Elesa and Roxie battles were a joke.

Yeah. It's saying something when even AG's Hoenn battles seemed better than this (and considering how they made Hoenn's GLs seem like pansies as a result of a misguided attempt at giving more focus to new Pokémon, that's saying a lot).

- Dawn's obligatory and pointless cameo was pointless.

Tell me about it. It probably actually would have had a point if there were contests in Unova, but there aren't. And quite frankly, there would have been far more of a point if they gave Misty, May, Max, or Brock an actual cameo over Dawn, especially when all of them are either Gym Leaders at some point, or in the case of May and Max, were relatives of them, and they made a cameo during what would have been an arc on the World Conference if the writers hadn't idiotically skipped that part of Black 2 and White 2. Honestly, had I been the writers, I would have chose Misty over Dawn to have the obligatory cameo for the region, especially when something like the World Conference not only was something from the games, but also acted as the perfect opportunity to actually give Misty true closure at the very least (especially when her last appearance during AG, not counting Mastermind, strongly implied that Misty didn't even like running the gym and wanted to get out of there as soon as possible, which isn't a good way to end a character). It was a golden opportunity for the writers, and they blew it by skipping the World Conference altogether. Honestly, I didn't like May's cameo in DP (largely because, aside from my not liking May, I didn't see any reason for her to cameo when she, unlike Misty who was forced into quitting her goal, actually is continuing to pursue her goal, especially when Ash doesn't interrupt his own journey just to meet up with friends back at his home region), but at least she actually had an excuse beyond her friends being there for her cameo (as, aside from the fact that Sinnoh, unlike Unova, actually DOES have contests, the Wallace Cup's ribbon was transregional and thus would have aided her during her journey in Johto), not to mention an actual point (namely getting Dawn out of her slump). Dawn didn't have a point being in Unova at all.

- The league was a massive turd; it was rushed, and the main rival Trip didn't get his last shot at Ash.

Yeah, and what's worse is that he got an even worse rank than before. Even AG, which before this had the absolute worst league turnout, at least had Ash retain his position from Johto, and he lost to a total idiot. He really should have lost to that Eeveelutions trainer, at least that would have made Ash's loss seem somewhat commendable.

- Team Plasma; what a joke. I usually give this a little slack because of B2W2 games

Tell me about it. Apparently that was skipped because GameFreak interfered thanks to prematurely airing B2W2 early.

- Decolore Arch; What a joke lol. Filler hell exemplified. There is no excuse for not giving rivals more exposure while forcing this joke of twenty episodes down our throats.

Agreed. Orange Islands may not have been in the anime, but at least they actually HAD a league or something similar Ash focused on. Same with Battle Frontier.

Honestly, there's probably more that I'm not thinking of that I didn't like, but you get the idea.

Yeah, and thanks to you and similar complaints about Iris, I might have to consider recategorizing Iris as a Hina stereotype. Shame really, as I really DID think we got our first non-Hina stereotype after Misty.

I've hate the anime since the Diamond and Pearl days. It just is super low quality to me and not as intense and great or even memorable as the RSE and other series before them. X and Y anime is the same to be honest. Still love the games though.

To be honest, I thought the Anime got bad when Misty was removed. I know that before BW, I actually considered AG to be the absolute worst Anime series ever, and while DP did have some improvements, it wasn't enough to save it. The original series still is the best (and before anyone calls me a "Genwunner," let me point out that I'm not one for the simple fact that the Original series actually had Generations 1 and 2, and besides which, it's only the Anime that I have problems with regarding the rest of the Generations. The games are actually okay in themselves and pretty good [at least, RSEFRLG as well as Diamond and Pearl are good. I haven't played Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver, or Generations V and VI thanks to a boycott against the Anime], and I didn't even have any problems with the game versions of May and Dawn, just their Anime counterparts.).

Last edited:

Sir Codin

I haven't played Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver, or Generations V and VI thanks to a boycott against the Anime
    That's just sad, dude.

I don't think Nintendo and Gamefreak have that much control over the anime, if any.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    That's just sad, dude.

I don't think Nintendo and Gamefreak have that much control over the anime, if any.

Problem is people claimed the Anime was an advertisement for the games (and it really doesn't help when the movies, at least starting with Generation III, act as a way to distribute some event legendaries), so I couldn't take any chances in making sure the Anime got the message that we Misty fans weren't happy with the direction the show was going in, especially their treatment of her and even the other female cast.

And besides, I did try to write the writers and supply a petition making clear she should be brought back, and warned them specifically that failure to do so would have resulted in their being a boycott, but they never even responded to the letter, much less refused. It's funny, Japanese businessmen place a huge amount of emphasis on politeness, yet they don't even bother to respond, even if it is only to refuse? Don't they realize that it's considered common courtesy to respond to a letter? I even delayed the boycott a bit, but inevitably it had to occur. I didn't want it, but the writers left us with no other options, especially when it was clear they weren't listening at all.

Sir Codin

Problem is people claimed the Anime was an advertisement for the games (and it really doesn't help when the movies, at least starting with Generation III, act as a way to distribute some event legendaries), so I couldn't take any chances in making sure the Anime got the message that we Misty fans weren't happy with the direction the show was going in, especially their treatment of her and even the other female cast.

And besides, I did try to write the writers and supply a petition making clear she should be brought back, and warned them specifically that failure to do so would have resulted in their being a boycott, but they never even responded to the letter, much less refused. It's funny, Japanese businessmen place a huge amount of emphasis on politeness, yet they don't even bother to respond, even if it is only to refuse? Don't they realize that it's considered common courtesy to respond to a letter? I even delayed the boycott a bit, but inevitably it had to occur. I didn't want it, but the writers left us with no other options, especially when it was clear they weren't listening at all.
    Given the continued success and production of the games and the continuation of the anime, it's clear your stupid boycott over a character that wasn't even that good to begin is essentially a failure.

Good job.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Given the continued success and production of the games and the continuation of the anime, it's clear your stupid boycott over a character that wasn't even that good to begin is essentially a failure.

Good job.

I got well over 900 signatures, many of whom from my school, the neighboring school, even my whole neighborhood as well as one Anime Convention. I also made clear through the internet on various Misty Clubs that we were to enact a global boycott. Do you honestly expect me to believe that Misty was not even remotely good, especially when she actually has her own Wikipedia Article, and is very well received from the looks of it, even in Japan, and had at least one Doushinji convention dedicated to her? Heck, I even sent in that petition to the writers, not to mention sent links to other petitions (one even garnering 30,000 signatures).

The only reason it was a failure is because the writers became arrogant enough to just ignore people even when it is costing them ratings (and let me tell you, AG's ratings were flat out terrible, even in Japan. In fact, until XY, the Pike Queen Lucy episode was actually one of the worst-rated episodes).

And BTW, considering the negative uproar on BMGf and SPPf, even here, regarding Masamitsu Hidaka's little statement about how the girl swap starting with May was pretty much done because they viewed all the girl characters as being eyecandy in that Pokebeach interview, I would deeply reconsider that statement if I were you.

You don't like Misty, fine, but that still doesn't change that Misty still is overwhelmingly popular, and most Misty fans still want a return, or at least actual closure that she never actually got.

And considering it was the writers' arrogance and thinking that they, being the writers, know more than the fans and view their audiences with clear cynicism that led to the disaster known as BW, not to mention how XY is currently bad in terms of ratings, yes, that comment is indeed warranted.

Last edited:

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Do you honestly expect me to believe that Misty was not even remotely good, especially when she actually has her own Wikipedia Article, and is very well received from the looks of it, even in Japan, and had at least one Doushinji convention dedicated to her? Heck, I even sent in that petition to the writers, not to mention sent links to other petitions (one even garnering 30,000 signatures).
    At least one of Michael Bay's Transformers movies have grossed over a billion dollars worldwide, and they're all still terrible examples of filmmaking by any objective standard. I'm not going to argue over Kasumi's strengths (or lack thereof) as a character again here when we have other threads for that kind of thing, but I am going to make the point that popularity doesn't automatically equal quality.

On that same note, I also dispute the idea that the OS was indisputably the best series. If Best Wishes can be slammed for things like lackluster rivalries and rivals, horrible battles, sloppily executed storylines, irritating characters, an overabundance of filler, poorly-handed Pokémon teams, obligatory cameos from past characters that don't mean anything, awful treatment of the regional villain team, and a bad Pokémon League, I don't see why the same can't apply for the original series. All of those flaws are present there (in every series, really; but I'd argue these are more of a problem in OS than in AG/DP), as well. There are a lot of fun, standout episodes throughout the OS, and I get that there are people who see something in Kasumi and Takeshi that I never will understand, but as an entire series the original Pocket Monsters is incredibly flawed.

But back to Best Wishes (and I'll preface this by saying that I speak only for myself here, and it's only my opinion):

To be honest, it's been off the air long enough that I'm past the point where I feel strongly about BW one way or the other. I'm still no fan of it, but I can appreciate it's better aspects now than I could before. If nothing else, there are a lot of good ideas at play. BW introduces fun recurring characters (Langley, Cabernet, Bel, Kenyan, etc.), at least makes the effort to do something new with Team Rocket, and places more importance on establishing the dynamics of its central cast than its predecessor series did. As badly-handled as Dent become, at least he was never a total nonentity in the group like Takeshi in DP. I don't have an issue with Iris - I'm pretty neutral towards her, really - and, if nothing else, I found her friendship with Satoshi charming enough. The episode where the two go touring around Raimon City is one of my favorite episodes of the entire anime franchise. And like Kanto/Orange Islands, BW really did have some standout individual episodes that I'll probably be going back to in the future (e.g. Lizardon's return episode, another one of my all-time favorites).

My biggest issue with BW is how it introduces a lot of interesting concepts, but fails to execute these in almost every area. Diamond & Pearl is not a perfect series by any stretch, but I honestly think it nailed this part the best: properly setting up its long-term storylines, developing them over the course of the series, and actually having them pay off an a mostly satisfactory way. The arc with the Lake Trio, Hunter J, and Team Galactic is a perfect example of this, and its why Galaxy is about the only regional villain team story in the anime that ends in something other than keen disappointment and a yearning for what could have been. BW on the other hand sets up stories, doesn't so much develop them as it does hit the same beats over and over, and then either unceremoniously drops them or ends them in a way that's not only disappointing, but often inconsistent with what came before.

On a final note, am I the only one who finds that BW hate is pretty overstated? It's obviously not everyone's favorite part of the anime franchise, but you don't really have to look far to find people who enjoyed it.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    At least one of Michael Bay's Transformers movies have grossed over a billion dollars worldwide, and they're all still terrible examples of filmmaking by any objective standard. I'm not going to argue over Kasumi's strengths (or lack thereof) as a character again here when we have other threads for that kind of thing, but I am going to make the point that popularity doesn't automatically equal quality.

On that same note, I also dispute the idea that the OS was indisputably the best series. If Best Wishes can be slammed for things like lackluster rivalries and rivals, horrible battles, sloppily executed storylines, irritating characters, an overabundance of filler, poorly-handed Pokémon teams, obligatory cameos from past characters that don't mean anything, awful treatment of the regional villain team, and a bad Pokémon League, I don't see why the same can't apply for the original series. All of those flaws are present there (in every series, really; but I'd argue these are more of a problem in OS than in AG/DP), as well. There are a lot of fun, standout episodes throughout the OS, and I get that there are people who see something in Kasumi and Takeshi that I never will understand, but as an entire series the original Pocket Monsters is incredibly flawed.

But back to Best Wishes (and I'll preface this by saying that I speak only for myself here, and it's only my opinion):

To be honest, it's been off the air long enough that I'm past the point where I feel strongly about BW one way or the other. I'm still no fan of it, but I can appreciate it's better aspects now than I could before. If nothing else, there are a lot of good ideas at play. BW introduces fun recurring characters (Langley, Cabernet, Bel, Kenyan, etc.), at least makes the effort to do something new with Team Rocket, and places more importance on establishing the dynamics of its central cast than its predecessor series did. As badly-handled as Dent become, at least he was never a total nonentity in the group like Takeshi in DP. I don't have an issue with Iris - I'm pretty neutral towards her, really - and, if nothing else, I found her friendship with Satoshi charming enough. The episode where the two go touring around Raimon City is one of my favorite episodes of the entire anime franchise. And like Kanto/Orange Islands, BW really did have some standout individual episodes that I'll probably be going back to in the future (e.g. Lizardon's return episode, another one of my all-time favorites).

My biggest issue with BW is how it introduces a lot of interesting concepts, but fails to execute these in almost every area. Diamond & Pearl is not a perfect series by any stretch, but I honestly think it nailed this part the best: properly setting up its long-term storylines, developing them over the course of the series, and actually having them pay off an a mostly satisfactory way. The arc with the Lake Trio, Hunter J, and Team Galactic is a perfect example of this, and its why Galaxy is about the only regional villain team story in the anime that ends in something other than keen disappointment and a yearning for what could have been. BW on the other hand sets up stories, doesn't so much develop them as it does hit the same beats over and over, and then either unceremoniously drops them or ends them in a way that's not only disappointing, but often inconsistent with what came before.

On a final note, am I the only one who finds that BW hate is pretty overstated? It's obviously not everyone's favorite part of the anime franchise, but you don't really have to look far to find people who enjoyed it.

I agree with every word :)

I have to totally disagree with you,I am not used to much writing but seeing your post inspired me(well,kind of).

On that same note, I also dispute the idea that the OS was indisputably the best series. If Best Wishes can be slammed for things like lackluster rivalries and rivals, horrible battles, sloppily executed storylines, irritating characters, an overabundance of filler, poorly-handed Pokémon teams, obligatory cameos from past characters that don't mean anything, awful treatment of the regional villain team, and a bad Pokémon League, I don't see why the same can't apply for the original series.

I won't say that OS was the best series,but I don't agree that BW was even a DECENT series.After watching the whole thing,I understand.OS was the First series,so there was something to back up the stupid activities that Ash did.And I dont think that there was any Cameos that dont mean anything(its impossible from "past" characters so leave it).And there was a very small number of annoying characters(including Gary).PS had many funny episodes,alot more than BW(I really didn't find many funny episodes in BW).If Ash lost to a new trainer,who just got his first Pokemon in OS,it would have been acceptable.But losing to a new trainer with Pikachu WHO was already trained before in 4 regions(but I dont know why Pikachu gets his level-reset type thing everytime).I agree Ash had a bad team in OS,but BW was worse.Ash at least had a Charizard and Pidgeot(did he have snorlax by that time?Don't remember).BW?Huh.Not a single fully-evolved Pokemon except Unfeazant.I think even Gary is better than Trip.And Camron?Can you say anything about that?A STUPID kid.Nothing else to say.I can write all of his stupidities.

All of those flaws are present there (in every series, really; but I'd argue these are more of a problem in OS than in AG/DP), as well. There are a lot of fun, standout episodes throughout the OS, and I get that there are people who see something in Kasumi and Takeshi that I never will understand, but as an entire series the original Pocket Monsters is incredibly flawed.

Flaws,are present in every series,I agree(I can't argue about that).OS was the first series,so flaws will be present.But during BW,after 15 years,so many flaws is NOT acceptable.And for Brock and Misty,I think they are a little overrated(but not that much).They were very good as partners and might have just died without em(the first Episode explains,misty pulled Ash up from the river,or he would have just died there).

Team Rocket?They just ruined them.Yes,they could make them more serious.But they overdid it.There was no fun in the BW Team Rocket.Even XY Team Rocket is better(They now have a near-balanced Smartness and humor).They still could have made BW A LOT better if they had just used Team Rocket better,They could have made them do serious work with humor.And for the fun characters you named,I can't recognize a single one of em.I found Bianca pretty funny.But thats it.Dawns pointless return just made it worse.May return was even reasonable cause it was a Contest.There are no contests in Unova and thus Dawn really has nothing to do with Unova.(Btw,who is Lizardon?)

BW hate,In my opinion is not overstated,but thats me.DP was a very good series Imo,Ash had a very good team(probably his best),could have reached the finals in the league(but he couldn't because of our favorite Tobias)and DP didn't have anything like the Decolore Island.Team Galactic wasn't bad at all,they were EVIL,just what a EVIL team has to be.And they were pretty successful in their goal.Hunter J is not my favorite part.

So,I have nothing more to say(Im out of words,thats probably the biggest post i have wrote in a long time).

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I won't say that OS was the best series,but I don't agree that BW was even a DECENT series.After watching the whole thing,I understand.OS was the First series,so there was something to back up the stupid activities that Ash did.And I dont think that there was any Cameos that dont mean anything(its impossible from "past" characters so leave it).And there was a very small number of annoying characters(including Gary).PS had many funny episodes,alot more than BW(I really didn't find many funny episodes in BW).If Ash lost to a new trainer,who just got his first Pokemon in OS,it would have been acceptable.But losing to a new trainer with Pikachu WHO was already trained before in 4 regions(but I dont know why Pikachu gets his level-reset type thing everytime).I agree Ash had a bad team in OS,but BW was worse.Ash at least had a Charizard and Pidgeot(did he have snorlax by that time?Don't remember).BW?Huh.Not a single fully-evolved Pokemon except Unfeazant.I think even Gary is better than Trip.And Camron?Can you say anything about that?A STUPID kid.Nothing else to say.I can write all of his stupidities.
    Apparently, some clarification is needed here:

I'm not a fan of Best Wishes at all, and there were many things it did that I still find colossally stupid (e.g. Kotetsu and the Isshu League). If you had talked to me around this time last year, I would have flat-out hated it. But I don't believe I have to be a fan to point out that BW has its good points, nor do I believe BW having good points automatically makes the whole thing good. I don't agree with how that series handled Satoshi or his journey, nor did I like many of the main characters' Pokémon. And I agree that Shooti was an awful rival, and a generally boring character. Moreover, Kotetsu gets my vote for being the single worst character ever introduced in the anime franchise. My post wasn't made to justify BW at all, I was just pointing out that there were decent aspects to it because you said you hadn't seen most of it and I don't believe yet another one-sided, anti-BW thread here would really be all that productive.

I also don't mean to suggest that BW is better than the OS, because that's not even my opinion. I just disagree with the way the OS (and Kasumi, in particular) is often treated as if it's untouchable, and I compared it to BW because that's the series that's being discussed here.

Flaws,are present in every series,I agree(I can't argue about that).OS was the first series,so flaws will be present.But during BW,after 15 years,so many flaws is NOTacceptable.And for Brock and Misty,I think they are a little overrated(but not that much).They were very good as partners and might have just died without em(the first Episode explains,misty pulled Ash up from the river,or he would have just died there).
    Flaws are flaws, and the fact that OS was first doesn't justify them any more than BW's flaws.

Team Rocket?They just ruined them.Yes,they could make them more serious.But they overdid it.There was no fun in the BW Team Rocket.Even XY Team Rocket is better(They now have a near-balanced Smartness and humor).They still could have made BW A LOT better if they had just used Team Rocket better,They could have made them do serious work with humor.And for the fun characters you named,I can't recognize a single one of em.I found Bianca pretty funny.But thats it.Dawns pointless return just made itworse.May return was even reasonable cause it was a Contest.There are no contests in Unova and thus Dawn really has nothing to do with Unova.
    I agree that BW's Team Rocket was horrible (in my ideal anime, neither they nor Satoshi would have been in BW at all), I just appreciated that it tried something new with characters who had long gotten stale. It feeds into the larger point I was making in that post that BW came up with interesting concepts, it just rarely executed them in any satisfactory way. I also agree that Hikari's return wasn't done well at all, especially when compared to the far superior way the anime used Haruka in DP.

(Btw,who is Lizardon?)
    Charizard.

BW hate,In my opinion is not overstated,but thats me.
    I wasn't talking about BW's quality when I said that. I was referring to the idea in this fandom that BW gets a lot of hate from seemingly everyone, when that's really not true. I often agree with the criticisms against BW as a series.

DP was a very good series Imo,Ash had a very good team(probably his best),could have reached the finals in the league(but he couldn't because of our favorite Tobias)and DP didn't have anything like the Decolore Island.Team Galactic wasn't bad at all,they were EVIL,just what a EVIL team has to be.And they were pretty successful in their goal.Hunter J is not my favorite part.
    DP is easily my favorite part of the anime franchise, but I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.

Well,thinking a little,I find Misty a little too much over-rated.Not that she is a bad character,she is very good(one of my favorite),but still a little too over rated.As of OS being untouchable,I also agree with this till a point.Its not the best and perfect,but is untouchable-type because its the first series.Most of the real fans are a fan because of OS,thats why I guess its like this.

Anyways,I still think BW was a pretty bad series overall.It has its good points but the Bad points take more space

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020

Except it's not just her popularity, she was also extremely well received of a character, and popularity does have a bit of a role in terms of quality (after all, no way people would be popular if they didn't have anything good about them, especially if their flaws are apparent). And it's not like Transformers, as this is dealing with a specific character, especially one who was very well received, actually has fan conventions dedicated to her.

I can't comment much on the Original series as I only sat through Kanto in its entirety, but I will tell you this much, at least the Gym Leaders actually WERE treated like they were a serious threat (Misty's sisters aside, anyways) in the Original Series, even if literally half of the Kanto badges were just handed to Ash instead of truly earned. In some cases they actually improved the Gym Leaders' personality. Take Whitney and Claire, for example: Whitney was a huge crybaby whenever she loses and even nearly forgot to give the player a badge, yet in the Anime, they made her into a character that Ash actually had some difficulty against, actually losing to her the first time around, not to mention graceful regarding losing. And even Game Whitney at least intended to give out the badge anyways due to a fair win, in the games, Claire was an exceptionally arrogant jerk who claimed herself to be the Dragon Pokémon Master despite her own cousin, Lance, being superior to her, and then when the player beat her, she forced the player to find the Dragon Fang in the Dragon cavern out of spite for the player beating her. The anime toned down her arrogance and I think she actually didn't put Ash through such a daunting task like that for beating her before giving him the badge (though please correct me if I'm wrong there). Not to mention, I'm not even sure how Johto even had that much filler in there. They still did stuff, many of which did directly relate to their goals, and besides which, at least Ash actually got a rank increase compared to Kanto, not to mention a far more honorable win that wasn't due to Team Rocket stealing his victory and forcing him to nearly miss the match. And Johto does improve significantly by making sure Ash didn't simply have badges handed to him. And as far as obligatory cameos, when exactly did the Original Series have meaningless obligatory cameos (especially when the obligatory cameos being referenced here were to former main characters, and the Original Series was obviously before they decided to swap girls on a regular basis)? Most of Ash's team doesn't even return anyways besides Ash's Kanto Starters in Johto and beyond. At this point, only Pidgeot got something even resembling a cameo (a flashback before the Falkner battle), and at least Ash had an excuse regarding not visiting Pidgeot that time, as Oak basically had him sent over to Johto just after he got back from the Orange Islands with the GS Ball, unlike in AG, where even though he didn't have anything to do at the time and despite being around the area Pidgeot was left at, he didn't say hi to it at all, they don't even show it. As far as rivalries, they did give Ash an actual rivalry with Gary Oak by fighting him in Johto, and that even culminated in one of the more awesome events of the Silver Conference where Ash finally beat Gary, and while Ritchie did come across as too perfect and a clone of Ash, not to mention winning a match only because the referees were bad, even that at least had more heart than some of the stuff in BW. And BTW, the Original series actually had two Pokémon Leagues (three if one counts the Orange Islands as a league), and while the Indigo League was indeed somewhat bad in its conclusion (Ash ranking Top 16 for something that wasn't even his fault, or Ritchie's), the Orange League and especially the Silver Conference definitely weren't bad at all, and the fact that there were actually more than one league present in the Original Series makes up for one bad league, unlike in subsequent series where there is only one league per series, and in the case of BW, that basically tarnishes it. The only way the Original series can compare in badness to BW is if not only the Indigo League, but the Orange League and especially the Silver Conference all bombed. And anyways, at least the irritating characters weren't major characters like rivals [whether recurring rivals or even league rivals] or main characters, so it's still not as bad as BW. And BTW, Team Rocket actually wasn't treated that badly in the Original Series. In fact, Cassidy and Butch were initially created to be a darker version of Jessie and James when they were becoming more comic relief than true villains, plus at least they actually proved themselves to be genuine threats most times in the original series. And frankly, the Kanto League wasn't that badly handled, and even Johto's team did fairly decently compared to AG's team and especially BW's team.

And quite frankly, compared to AG, BW, XY, and even DP (probably the only one of the post original series shows that was actually decent, even if low-rated), the original series was indeed the best (and by "Original Series", I'm meaning Kanto, Orange Islands, and Johto altogether, not just Kanto). Not saying it's perfect, as really, nothing truly is, but it was certainly better than the other shows, as at least the original series actually had heart and tried to do a good story. It's not clear if his Kanto team's the best or if his Sinnoh team is the best, but they definitely ranked high regardless.

It's kinda hard to overstate the BW hate when there are a lot of genuine problems with that series (honestly, do you really think Ash being depicted as such an idiot he would fail to recognize a non-disguised human from an Axew was even necessary, or losing to a guy who clearly was just starting out when his Pikachu even without his electrical abilities is still skilled and experienced enough to knock his Snivy on its butt effortlessly?). Again, there are more bad things in that series than good (and frankly, the only things actually good about the series are Iris being allowed to actually pursue her own journey instead of being forced into a gym upon departure, and Charizard's return).

Agreed on all fronts. It's one thing if Ash was starting out the same time as Trip on his journey. It's quite another to have him lose to Trip despite being significantly more experienced than him. And yeah, in the overall Original Series, Ash had Snorlax, but not during Kanto (he got him in the Orange Islands). And yeah, in Kanto, Ash was a complete rookie so he at least had an excuse for his stupidity. Not BW, though, where he definitely should have known better. And while Gary was a bit smug, at least he actually had an excuse of being Ash's rival as well as being an overconfident rookie himself. Probably the only real flaw with Kanto was that half of his badges he never actually won in battle but were just handed to him, but in all honestly, even with that, at least the Gym Leaders actually were depicted as actual challenges, especially to a rookie like Ash and his then-Kanto team. And also agreed regarding the Original Series having meaningless obligatory cameos or lack thereof. How can they have meaningless obligatory cameos if they haven't even permanently replaced an established main character yet? And besides, even Tracey actually did have some relevance in his cameos due to working at Professor Oak's lab. BW had replaced three girls by that point, plus Brock for the final time, and in the context of that series and Dawn's character, her cameo actually WAS pointless, especially when Unova doesn't even have contests at all.

Flaws,are present in every series,I agree(I can't argue about that).OS was the first series,so flaws will be present.But during BW,after 15 years,so many flaws is NOT acceptable.And for Brock and Misty,I think they are a little overrated(but not that much).They were very good as partners and might have just died without em(the first Episode explains,misty pulled Ash up from the river,or he would have just died there).

I really wouldn't say Misty was overrated, really. She actually did prove to be a very good, decently done character, which is more than can be said about her replacements (especially considering the writers, as Hidaka put it, put their physical appearance over actual character, meaning they came across as being the same kind of annoying Hina stereotype as the screaming Fiorello Fangirls from Princess vs. Princess, which is another reason for my immense loyalty to Misty as she never behaved like them at all). And even Brock, prior to their making him into a cheap womanizing one-bit gag anyways, actually did have some decent elements to him, enough to actually be redeemable to the audiences at least. But yeah, Ash definitely would have died on his first day if it weren't for Misty, certainly. And besides, at least Kanto had it being the first series as an excuse, and even Johto, for it's long arcs, at least had it being the first time it actually did something like this for more than a year as an excuse for this. Not BW, though, where they clearly should know better (not even a reboot considering they already did that with AG and technically DP).

Team Rocket?They just ruined them.Yes,they could make them more serious.But they overdid it.There was no fun in the BW Team Rocket.Even XY Team Rocket is better(They now have a near-balanced Smartness and humor).They still could have made BW A LOT better if they had just used Team Rocket better,They could have made them do serious work with humor.And for the fun characters you named,I can't recognize a single one of em.I found Bianca pretty funny.But thats it.Dawns pointless return just made it worse.May return was even reasonable cause it was a Contest.There are no contests in Unova and thus Dawn really has nothing to do with Unova.(Btw,who is Lizardon?)

Yeah, agreed with Team Rocket's treatment in BW, as they had far worse treatment than even AG and DP (and let me be frank, making them pathetic characters who don't even qualify as genuine threats is a very bad move when they are supposed to be the antagonists), not to mention some of their plans (like the Meowth double agent arc) made even Metal Gear's infamously needless plot twists have some sense (and let me make clear, Metal Gear's plot twists generally never made any sense, such as Liquid Snake planning for Solid Snake to unlock REX and unwittingly activate it despite pretty obviously trying to kill him earlier with the Hind D, all for the sake of the plot twist that he disguised himself as Master Miller and presumably had the real one murdered offscreen), meaning their plans made absolutely no sense at all.

And agree with you regarding Dawn, her return was completely pointless. I didn't really like May's return nor did I think that she should have gotten a reappearance in DP, but at least she actually had an excuse due to there being contests in the region, not to mention the Wallace Cup actually had its ribbon apply in multiple regions, which further solidified her reasons for coming. Dawn's cameo seemed like it was just for the heck of it, even though she's supposed to be doing contests in either Hoenn or Kanto (I don't know if she already completed contests in Hoenn during that time). And Lizardon is the Japanese name for Charizard.

BW hate,In my opinion is not overstated,but thats me.DP was a very good series Imo,Ash had a very good team(probably his best),could have reached the finals in the league(but he couldn't because of our favorite Tobias)and DP didn't have anything like the Decolore Island.Team Galactic wasn't bad at all,they were EVIL,just what a EVIL team has to be.And they were pretty successful in their goal.Hunter J is not my favorite part.

In all fairness, Team Rocket even in the original series was actually pretty evil (like in Mewtwo Returns, the Raikou Legend of Thunder Special, Dr. Namba, and the like, not to mention all of that shebang), and while they didn't get the chance to remake the world and warp reality like Team Galactic did, make no mistake, Team Rocket would not have been above doing something like this if they so desired, especially Giovanni. And they did capture a Rayquaza at one point in AG, as well.

Other than that, yeah, DP did have some very good things in it, like all the stuff you mentioned there (I wouldn't necessarily call DP his "best" team, though. It's tied between them and Ash's Kanto team, largely because it was Ash's Kanto team that actually beat Brandon in AG), especially the fact that unlike AG before it or BW afterwards, he actually does increase in rank (and to be honest, I think they only inserted Tobias because the writers procrastinated too much in DP and thus didn't have time to actually have Ash win thanks to Gen V literally just being out of the door for release by the holidays, especially when there was a lot of heavy foreshadowing that Ash would at the very least challenge the Elite 4 in Sinnoh). Other than that, though, it still wasn't that good of a series. Better than AG, certainly, better than BW as well, but I really wouldn't consider it that good.

Last edited:
    The only good thing I find in BW are the Theme songs/openings(But I think they still can't beat the Original Pokemon Theme).By your writings Weedle,I clearly understand your a Misty fan,thats good(well im too,but not that much).Misty is not probably the best character,she was funny a little weird but was very good.But her goal was pretty much ignored.He just wanted to travel with Ash & Brock ignoring her dream of becoming a Water-Pokemon master,cause I still think(believe)Misty loves Ash...

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    The only good thing I find in BW are the Theme songs/openings(But I think they still can't beat the Original Pokemon Theme).By your writings Weedle,I clearly understand your a Misty fan,thats good(well im too,but not that much).Misty is not probably the best character,she was funny a little weird but was very good.But her goal was pretty much ignored.He just wanted to travel with Ash & Brock ignoring her dream of becoming a Water-Pokemon master,cause I still think(believe)Misty loves Ash...

I really wouldn't say her goal was ignored, per-se. At least it got more focus than Brock's Pokémon Breeding goal (Other than Togepi which Misty basically got anyways, Brock didn't seem to raise a baby Pokémon from an egg until Happiny in DP, and this was despite Johto actually introducing the Breeding Mechanic). After all, she did catch Horsea, Poliwag, Corsola, and the like, and there was significant focus on her goal in Johto as well (especially Master Quest, which featured the Whirl Cup). Even you have to admit that was definitely a focus on her goal. It really wasn't that ignored. In fact, she actually got a lot more Misty-centric episodes actually focusing on her goal in Johto, and even the non-Misty-centric episodes still focused on her goal to some extent. It may not have been focused on that much in Kanto, but it was still present (aside from her capturing Horsea, her reasons for capturing Oddish explicitly referred to her desire to be a Water type trainer), and even Orange Islands still gave some big hints towards that goal before the goal was name-dropped in Johto. DBZ Fan can put it far better than I can.

And had they kept Misty in AG, they definitely would have given her plenty to do and more focus on her goal, certainly more than in Kanto or Orange Islands, anyways, even Johto. Don't forget, Hoenn is pretty much the only region to be more water than land, and thus have more water routes, and even having an actual aquatic-based major legendary. I actually could think up of plenty of ways to have her continue her goal, and in fact, I could even think up of a similar token quest to that of Ash's badge quest for her.

Besides, regardless of whether you found her a little overrated, don't you think it was a mistake to have her be forced into becoming a Gym Leader when it is clear that she doesn't even like the position in her final three-episode appearance? It would have been better if they actually had Misty continue her journey on her own, something she actually wants. I mean, what would you think if May or Iris were forced to put aside their respective desired goals of Top Coordinator and Dragon Pokémon Master to run Petalburg Gym and Opelucid Gym, respectively, despite clearly wanting to pursue their goals? Would you really think that would have been good for them at all?

Either way, at least we can agree that there's very little that's redeemable about Best Wishes, and was definitely one of the worst series (by my count, it actually surpassed AG in that regard. It's funny, people love to complain about Johto being nothing but fillers, but AG itself actually seemed like it was nothing but filler, especially when Ash doesn't even advance in rank in the league, nor does he decrease in rank, staying exactly the same as in Johto in other words, his winning the Battle Frontier is treated as hollow and meaningless, and they decided to replace May with Dawn just to have her do the exact same goal as her, and right now, May and Max don't even get one Pokémon Sunday/Hoso special. And that's not even getting into how pathetic most of the Gym Leaders in Hoenn were treated [only Roxanne and Brawley actually came across as decent. I don't think I should count Norman as that was clearly just an excuse to force Ash to follow the route of the games].).

Last edited:
    Back