• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Original] The Lucky One

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
  • Okay so, I don't normally like to post my stories here. I'm terrible at accepting critiquing and stuff, but I want to work on that though. I need to know how I can improve and become a better writer. Like, I know I can work on stuff and whatever so... yeah. I know risking this is pretty well... risky for me, but eh...

Warnings: Story does contain themes not suitable for those under age 13 not like PC has them running around though. Later, it will contain sucidial/self-harm triggers as well.

Sue me, it's my first time posting here... heh. I just hope I'm doing this right. :[ Also, I've been writing since the fifth grade so...

--------

I waved my arms in a fit of giggles as I ran up the shore, letting the waves chase after me. I chased them back after they retreated out to shore, only to repeat this usual routine. People looked at me like I had some kind of strange disease. No one realized my brain was wired much differently than theirs was. It was always difficult for them to realize how truly unique I am compared to them, that is if unique is the right word to use.

I started to climb among the rocks in search of tide pools. I loved exploring the different types of little sea animals that made their home inside them. Mom didn't approve of this little expedition of mine and started to panic immediately.

"Ruby, get down from there before you slip and fall!" she yelled to me, but I didn't listen to her.

Clearly, I had no clue what sort of dangers awaited for me. Something in my brain wasn't quite registering the amount of trouble I was risking just for a few little tide pools. A few people stared watching me, wondering why a girl my age was acting so childishly. It's not everyday you see a twenty-two year old climbing rocks like a little school girl.

"Damn it, I told you to get down from there!" mom said to me, being closer than I expected.

Her voice jumped me, causing me to slip on the rocks and fall forward. I scraped both my knees on them, but I didn't seem to cry about it. My pain threshold was different from what most people were able to comprehend. It wasn't like I couldn't feel the pain, just that I had a much weirder tolerance towards it. I always felt like I wanted the physical feeling to it and didn't mind when it suddenly happened to me.

"This is why can't be climbing the rocks, Ruby." she scolded me, knowing it wouldn't do any good.

Mom took me by the hand in an attempt to lead my away. This created a huge fit of screaming chaos due to my refusal for leaving. Everyone stared at me as if I was some misbehaved child, without seeing how different my brain truly is. After all, I may have been physically twenty-two years old, but I was mentally a child.

"I am disgusted by your daughter's behavior! Someone of her age shouldn't be throwing temper tantrums just because things don't go her way all of the time..." a woman remarked after seeing the way I was acting.

"Excuse me? Do you have any idea what it's like handling a daughter with special needs?" mom shot back at the woman out of frustration.

"Oh, please. You should never pull the special needs card on someone who clearly deserves discipline such as her." she shook her head, not realizing why the meltdown even started.

It actually started because I wasn't ready to leave yet. We never left at this time, and I knew it was an invasion of my everyday routine. I wanted to stay longer, so I could continue playing with the waves.

Mom managed to pull me up the stairs into our beach house. By then, I had finally calmed down after walking off my frustration. She sat me down in a chair to tend to my scraped knees without me making another scene. I waved my arms at my sides while rocking myself back and forth as I hummed monotonously aloud.

"I want to go back to the beach again." I told her with a soft tone. "It wasn't time to leave." I said while frowning.

"I'm sorry, sweetie. You know you aren't allowed to climb the rocks though." she replied and hoped I understood her strict words. "Your father isn't going to be happy about this either, Ruby." she reminded me when I looked away and scowled.

Dad had disapproved of everything I did. In his eyes, I was nothing but a failure no matter how disabled I am. He thought of me as a mistake that never should have been born into such a world as this. The only person he ever doted on was my sister Alyssa, who I knew was of at university. I could never make him proud of me, even as much as I tried.

"Don't tell him." I frowned at her while continuing to rock myself.

"He's going to find out one way or another." she said to me while I got out of the chair. "I know you want to avoid getting in trouble, but you know better than to climb those rocks." she let out a sigh as I made my way to my room.

I knew there was no way to get out of this situation. Dad would be furious with me once he got him and had mom explain everything. I wasn't looking forward to getting punished for something that could easily be forgotten. I wanted to get away with not being scolded indefinitely by him, seeing as mom didn't always defend me.

I overheard mom telling dad about today's events, causing me to rock vigorously back and forth on my bedroom floor. I had it in for me now, and I grew even more anxious as I heard his steps approaching towards my location. There was no hiding from the situation as much as I had tried.

"Damn it, Ruby. You need to start acting your ****ing age! How many times do I need to keep telling you that?!" he yelled as I covered my ears in defense.

"I-I'm s-s-sorry..." I started to sob almost immediately after hearing him scream at me.

"Sorry doesn't cut it anymore! I'm sick and tired of you behaving like a damn two year old!" he kept yelling as I rocked harder and harder.

"Honey, please stop being so harsh. You know she can't help it sometimes." mom tried to explain to him with a frown.

"She needs to learn not to be a little kid. She's twenty-two years old, yet she acts like she's five." dad said to mom after leaving my room.

I overheard them fighting about me in the kitchen. I couldn't stand hearing them bicker back and forth over how to raise me. I couldn't stand even the slightest negative reactions people made in public, to be honest. Everything had always been difficult to understand, but I did try my best.

I really thought that it was enough to make them proud of me, yet it didn't seem like the case anymore. For once in my life, I wanted to feel like I was one of the lucky ones, only I didn't think that chance would ever come...

Back