• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2014
yes i wrote it to the rom and then it tells me i dont have the palette for the tileset and the tiles i want to add into the game are horrible looking

i just tried it again and it said the palette file is missing so ill index it and try again hopefully it will work

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
yes i wrote it to the rom and then it tells me i dont have the palette for the tileset and the tiles i want to add into the game are horrible looking

i just tried it again and it said the palette file is missing so ill index it and try again hopefully it will work

If you're trying to import a tileset into AdvanceMap (which, I think, is what you're trying to do), then there needs to be a .pal file of the same name of the tileset that you're trying to import in the same directory as the tileset. When you exported the tileset, you should have noticed that AdvanceMap created not only a .bmp file but also a .pal file. In order to import the tileset back in, you're going to need that palette file.

Years
Not sure if this belongs in here or in the scripting thread, but anyways: how do I make a sprite hidden by default? I've tried the movement option "Hidden" in AdvanceMap, but that way the sprite doesn't show up when I use the command 'showsprite'.

Thanks in advance

Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2014
okay so i made the pal file name the same as the tileset and it didn't work can somebody give me a mini step by step tutorial i dont like the tuts that are up right now

so far what i did
is
1 save tileset
2 edit tileset
3 index it in infra
4l oad in a map

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
okay so i made the pal file name the same as the tileset and it didn't work can somebody give me a mini step by step tutorial i dont like the tuts that are up right now

so far what i did
is
1 save tileset
2 edit tileset
3 index it in infra
4l oad in a map

You shouldn't have to index the tileset with IrfanView. Here, this tutorial covers tile insertion. Maybe it can help you.

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2013
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post it, but my friend and I have been trying to find out what we've been doing wrong in scripting for a long time now. As we edit and create more and more scripts, scripts we've edited/created get overwritten by other ones we've made. Annoying as it is, we can copypasta the scripts back into their places, but this generally causes even more scripts to randomly get overwritten by other scripts. Fixing one problem causes three other problems to be created.

Eventually I decided to just settle for a basic Advanced Text/A-Trainer/mapping hack without actually editing anything in the script editor, starting from scratch in hopes of avoiding the problems of the script editor. . .But after testing with this style, the same bug occurred once again before I got far at all. I only edited a bit of dialogue in Pallet, and Gary's dialogue before you encounter Oak is assigned to a random poster in his house. Currently the poster is given the dialogue Gary was supposed to have so Gary functions, though this of course breaks the poster and I'm too paranoid of more bugs popping up like before to just ignore it. . .

If you can help, request it and I'll PM you the link to the map. Can't post it in the thread due to the account being newly created. I'm amazed nobody else seems to be having this problem and it's probably something really simple/stupid, but it prevents us from doing practically anything.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post it, but my friend and I have been trying to find out what we've been doing wrong in scripting for a long time now. As we edit and create more and more scripts, scripts we've edited/created get overwritten by other ones we've made. Annoying as it is, we can copypasta the scripts back into their places, but this generally causes even more scripts to randomly get overwritten by other scripts. Fixing one problem causes three other problems to be created.

Eventually I decided to just settle for a basic Advanced Text/A-Trainer/mapping hack without actually editing anything in the script editor, starting from scratch in hopes of avoiding the problems of the script editor. . .But after testing with this style, the same bug occurred once again before I got far at all. I only edited a bit of dialogue in Pallet, and Gary's dialogue before you encounter Oak is assigned to a random poster in his house. Currently the poster is given the dialogue Gary was supposed to have so Gary functions, though this of course breaks the poster and I'm too paranoid of more bugs popping up like before to just ignore it. . .

If you can help, request it and I'll PM you the link to the map. Can't post it in the thread due to the account being newly created. I'm amazed nobody else seems to be having this problem and it's probably something really simple/stupid, but it prevents us from doing practically anything

first, don't use white on your post... >.>

about your problem, you clearly stated that you are only 'edit' existing scripts in the game. Editing the scripts in-game is fine, as long as you won't go beyond the original script's size.
For instance, the original text is "Hello World", and you changed it into "Hello everyone!", your new entry has more characters than the original, and so, it automatically overwrite the other offsets after it.

I suggest you and your friend should use a scripting tool called XSE and learn how to make scripts yourselves and writing those scripts into the ROM's free space, e.g., 0x800000 and so on.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 8, 2014
Ha...Ah, sorry. I'm the other person working on the project.

I guess he didn't explain it well enough. We've used XSE and another script editor, but the same problems occurred. In fact, we switched to A-Text because we thought it would alleviate the problem, but sadly it did not. I'm not sure what the offsets he used on A-Text were, but we did create our own scripts in XSE(using dynamic offsets if it matters), and usually assigned them to offsets such as 0x740000 and higher(or just let the dynamic do it for us), as I believe that's where the free space usually starts.

The main problem we had, actually, was that...say a script had multiple lines within it(such as any Trainer script and especially Gym Leader or important character scripts). Sometimes, the last or second-to-last line would overwrite the one before it, starting about 75% through that line.

Of course, we've had bigger bugs, like a script going haywire and turning into pure RAW coding and hex numbers, thus freezing the game when that person is conversed with. However, these are relatively simple to fix, as all it requires of one is to paste the original script back over the haywire one. For some reason this does not work with overwrites, and they simply reoccur.

Any help would be appreciated, but please do bear in mind that we HAVE used XSE and have created our own scripts, though it does not seem to help the problem.

It may just be a simple matter of the free space not starting at 0x740000, or there may be some over-complicated reason behind it.

Chad -

Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2012
Ha...Ah, sorry. I'm the other person working on the project.

I guess he didn't explain it well enough. We've used XSE and another script editor, but the same problems occurred. In fact, we switched to A-Text because we thought it would alleviate the problem, but sadly it did not. I'm not sure what the offsets he used on A-Text were, but we did create our own scripts in XSE(using dynamic offsets if it matters), and usually assigned them to offsets such as 0x740000 and higher(or just let the dynamic do it for us), as I believe that's where the free space usually starts.

The main problem we had, actually, was that...say a script had multiple lines within it(such as any Trainer script and especially Gym Leader or important character scripts). Sometimes, the last or second-to-last line would overwrite the one before it, starting about 75% through that line.

Of course, we've had bigger bugs, like a script going haywire and turning into pure RAW coding and hex numbers, thus freezing the game when that person is conversed with. However, these are relatively simple to fix, as all it requires of one is to paste the original script back over the haywire one. For some reason this does not work with overwrites, and they simply reoccur.

Any help would be appreciated, but please do bear in mind that we HAVE used XSE and have created our own scripts, though it does not seem to help the problem.

It may just be a simple matter of the free space not starting at 0x740000, or there may be some over-complicated reason behind it.

I don't know if this is what you're doing wrong, but..

Are you including \n and \p (or \l) between your text? \n skips to a new line and \l to a new 'box'. This way each line of text will have its own line and space.

If you want, go to the text adjuster in XSE ( (Ctrl + T) or Tools > Text Adjuster), and write your text there and it will automatically do it for you.

Oh, and 0x740000 is free to use. Use the free space finder in XSE or a HEX editor to check whether it's free.

I hope this helps in any way..

Chad -

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 8, 2014
I don't know if this is what you're doing wrong, but..

Are you including \n and \p (or \l) between your text? \n skips to a new line and \l to a new 'box'. This way each line of text will have its own line and space.

If you want, go to the text adjuster in XSE ( (Ctrl + T) or Tools > Text Adjuster), and write your text there and it will automatically do it for you.

Oh, and 0x740000 is free to use. Use the free space finder in XSE or a HEX editor to check whether it's free.

I hope this helps in any way..

Chad -

Ha..I do use the \n and \p commands, but I haven't tested the adjuster yet, I'll try it. I usually use the free space finder when I make a script.

It might somehow be that the lines were too long, and that caused the script to go haywire...We'll try using the Text Adjuster, thanks!

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
How do I make an IPS, UPS, OR APS Patch? It says select unmodified file and select modified file, what does that mean?

Unmodified = clean untouched ROM (like Pokemon Ruby, Pokemon Firered etc before you have used tools on it)

Modified = The one you edited with tools.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
I'm making a Fire Red ROM Hack. By unmodified ROM do you mean I download an unmodified Fire Red ROM then use the edited Fire Red ROM to make a patch?

You should already have a clean FR ROM anyway, as a spare that you can copy. You select that clean ROM as the unmodified in the patch creating program, and then your hack as the modified, and it creates the patch.

Andrut

Collecting dust since 1898
Years
Hey,
i need a way to edit wild pokemon music. I don't want any remixed ones, i just want to replace the Emerald pokemon soundtrack with Fire Red wild pokemon soundtrack(it's already in the game). The question is, how can i do this in the easiest way? I've seen tutorials, but they are extremely complicated, so i need an easy way.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Hey,
i need a way to edit wild pokemon music. I don't want any remixed ones, i just want to replace the Emerald pokemon soundtrack with Fire Red wild pokemon soundtrack(it's already in the game). The question is, how can i do this in the easiest way? I've seen tutorials, but they are extremely complicated, so i need an easy way.
Just export the FireRed track in Sappy, and then re-import it over the Emerald wild Battle music (though you might have to use a new offset if the tracks are bigger).

Andrut

Collecting dust since 1898
Years
But where can i download it? :< I searched,but i didn't find it.
EDIT: I found it, but it doesn't work when i load a ROM! What should i do?

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 29, 2023
can you add a sprite that shares pokedex info with another one, but can have different attacks and type?

example:
onix, rock type
crystalonix, rock ice type

5th time. hopefully the last time i need to say this, Still need it answered.

Tower Tycoon Palmer

Frontier Brain
Years
  • Seen May 19, 2012
hey, I have a quick question that I couldn't find the answer to anywhere else:
I know how to add knew pokemon without deleting old ones, but how do I add Pokedex entries for my new pokemon without deleting old pokemon entirely?

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 29, 2023
^ you can't, the game only can store what is already there ^

still need answering...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back