• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: Emulators and patching software

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Which emulators (GBA, NDS, 3DS) and patching software (for IPS or UPS patches) do you use, and why?

The thread on patching is slightly outdated and it'd be good to know what everyone finds better/easier to use.

Last edited:
    Years
  • For GBA I use VBA (visual Boy advance on PC, and "My Boy" on Android)
    For NDS I use Desmume on my PC.
    Now for 3DS, there is Citra which is still "under construction, however you can try it.
    For Patching IPS I use Lunar IPS, it's very simple to use it.
    I usually patch UPS from my android phone: The app is called "ROM Patcher". It's very easy and it can patch IPS and UPS.
    These are some very simple emulators and patchers and I think that these are the easiest to use for everyone.

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
  • GBA-VBA for computer. MyBoy for phone.
    DS- Drastic on my ol Kindle Fire.
    3DS- What!? There are 3DS emulators!? Holy crap! Ive gotta get one of those!
    Gotta stick with Lunar for ips.
    And NUPS or Tsukuyomi for UPS.

PankajBlitz

Taiyoh!
    Years
  • For Gba

myboy and Vba link

For NDS

Desmume

Patching

Lunar ips and NUPS

best softwares that's all

3DS

Found one working? tell me then

Years
  • I'm pretty sure it's much less than "under construction" since you can't use it to play anything.

I think that you're wrong here, you can load and play games on Citra, but it's like you are playing in slow motion. There are a lot of videos in Youtube, But to tell you the truth I haven't tried it yet.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I think that you're wrong here, you can load and play games on Citra, but it's like you are playing in slow motion. There are a lot of videos in Youtube, But to tell you the truth I haven't tried it yet.
    That depends on your definition of play =D
    I mean yea, you can load things, but if you can't play it properly, at least as DeSmuME handles DS games, it can hardly be called "play" =)

Years
  • GBA: MyBoy (Android); Before MyBoy I was playing with GameBoid, but MyBoy has some additional feature & serves better then others. VBA for Pc.

DS: There's only 1 good DS emulator for Android, that is , Drastic. Played all the 4th/5th Gen game with it. Never tried DSEmu/$Nogba

3DS: There's no such emulator lol

IPS/UPS: Usually MyBoy's Patching System but for some, Unipatcher.

Other Patches (xdelta & stuffs): Rom Patcher.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    VBA for GBA games
    Desmume for DS games with limited stylus use, R4 for everything else.
    Lips and Nups are what I use to patch.

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
    Years
  • VisualBoYAdvance for GBA.
    No$GBA for DS. (Because my computer is laggy, do not kill me)
    Lunar IPS and NUPS for Patching
    xDelta for others.
    ______ for 3DS. (Are there any yet?)

HamtaroTumin

[font=avantgarde-demi][color=#379BBD]#WaitForTheRi
    Years
  • For GBA, I use VBA in pc and MyBoy in android
    For DS, I use Desmume in pc and Drastic & MyDS in android
    For 3ds, I am so unlucky that my pc is 32 bit and it needed 64 bit to start the CITRA and I got my sister's laptop for it now I cant find the roms for 3ds. ;-;

I use Lunar IPS or I sometime do that, putting both the ips files by same name, one rom and the ips in one folder and voila.

wundrweapon

Memelord
    Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2016
    Emulators:
    • GB/GBC/GBA
      • PC: VBA-M
      • Android: John GBC and John GBA, respectively
    • NDS
      • PC: DeSmuMe
      • Android: I don't, but I once tried nds4droid
    • 3DS
      • I don't

Patching:
    • IPS
      • PC: Lunar IPS
      • Android: UniPatcher
    • UPS/PPF/DPS
      • PC: I don't, but if I had to use UPS, I'd use Tsukuyomi UPS
      • Android: UniPatcher
    • xDelta
      • PC: Delta Patcher (duh)
      • Android: I don't

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Info for Apple Fanboys:
    vba-sdl-h for my computer (because plain old VBA no longer works on my Mac, and I can't find any source code that does, lol). I think OpenEmu is meant to be good too, though. Just haven't had the need to get it.
    GBA4ios on my phone.

DeSmuMe for NDS, though I basically never use it. Nothing on NDS for my phone.
    Didn't even realize how many people use NDS emulators. I pretty much only play gba games.

manadhon

RTX-008L
    Years
  • Emulators

• I use VBA-M on my computer, and the old GameBoid app on my phone

• DeSmuME has been my go-to DS emulator for years, and as for my phone, I haven't tried at all, actually

Patching

• As an advocate of the BPS patching format (which is intended to replace contemporary formats) I use a patcher called Flips (floating ips). It not only does BPS patching, but IPS as well. I still keep Lips around though

• For UPS patches, I use NUPS

Z34guy

Pretty Little Psycho
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2022
    I use VBA for all my GBA/GBC/GB emulating needs.
    I use Project64 for my N64 emulating.
    For patching, I use IPSwin. I've had issues with lunar not properly patching, but never with IPSwin.

Back