• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DJTiKi's MEGA-HUGE Guide To Planning Your Awesome Rom Hack! The Guide For Everything Pokemon!

What topic should I cover after Gameplay & Balance?

• Post-Game

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Personality and Fun

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • A Different Genre, All-Together

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 26, 2020
UPDATE! OMIGOSH I FINALLY FINISHED THE POKÉMON SECTION OF THE GUIDE! *celebrates.

Well next up, I'll finally cover trainers. :) I know, took me long enough. I don't have a question, just rejoice, in the completion of Pokémon, which took forver to write. Oh and I covered Legendary and Event Encounters.

Wait, have you posted the bit about Legendaries and Events? Because I can't find it?

~Justified~

~Working On A New Rom Hack~
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 23, 2015
To answer your question about our opinions on the guide is so far, I love it (as mentioned earlier). The event Pokemon thing gave me tons of ideas to celebrate certain Pokemon related events and offer Pokemon for other events as well. For example, I was thinking for the release of Omega Ruby * Alpha Sapphire, I would offer the three starters with special abilities (most likely dream world abilities), moves, + items that are hard to obtain (if my hack is released by then of course) for a limited amount of time. I feel like that'd be a great way to celebrate the Hoenn remakes.

I also have a lot of other ideas for events like that, even with legendaries and Downloadable Content to add new side quests and other quests to expand on the main storyline, what's your opinion on my ideas for events and add-ons for the storyline?

Another question I was having was this: Should I make my hack different from other games with Pokemon gyms by having them specialize in stats rather than types?

Here's what I had in mind: Each gym could specialize in a stat rather than a type, for example: (Hint: Its in the spoiler!)

Spoiler:

Thanks for taking the time to read this, please give me your honest feedback & offer any other suggestions you may have, whether they are related to my questions or another aspect of Storyline and Gameplay, I'm always open to other people's ideas:)

**So sorry for the long post btw, had to fit all my questions in, & I still have plenty more to ask! XD**

Last edited:

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
To answer your question about our opinions on the guide is so far, I love it (as mentioned earlier). The event Pokemon thing gave me tons of ideas to celebrate certain Pokemon related events and offer Pokemon for other events as well. For example, I was thinking for the release of Omega Ruby * Alpha Sapphire, I would offer the three starters with special abilities (most likely dream world abilities), moves, + items that are hard to obtain (if my hack is released by then of course) for a limited amount of time. I feel like that'd be a great way to celebrate the Hoenn remakes.

This idea is good. With the release of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, it would be nice to have an event, to get some special Pokémon. There is alot of buzz around ORAS, so if your hack was released by that time, it would be a nice way to generate traffic. Seeing as you can't give Mega Stones, right now, being a Generation 3 hack(or at least, not yet), I'd look into perhaps, making sure a Pokémon, has their second(or hidden) ability.

I also have a lot of other ideas for events like that, even with legendaries and Downloadable Content to add new side quests and other quests to expand on the main storyline, what's your opinion on my ideas for events and add-ons for the storyline?

It really depends on your hack's strory. More likely, this will be little sidequests, that have nothing to do with the main plot. Perhaps, you can have a few Downloadable sideauests, which continues the plot, post-game. Maybe even another small Region, to celebrate some occasion. Of course, we don't want it to be disc-locked, which is simply having the events already there, but it is inaccessible, unless you get expansions, which gers some angry. Having Downloadable content that coinsides with the plot or gives some more modes to battle, in a battle facility, is always welcomed. Just remember that the actual game, comes before Events and such. (:

Another question I was having was this: Should I make my hack different from other games with Pokemon gyms by having them specialize in stats rather than types?

Here's what I had in mind: Each gym could specialize in a stat rather than a type, for example: (Hint: Its in the spoiler!)

Spoiler:

I actually had a similar idea, just for Battle Facility modes. Your idea works well :). This could actually put a layer of stragetic design to your hack, as the player, can't simply win, by sweeping with the right Pokémon. If you want ideas on the Gym Types, I'll pitch you some, to help you out.

Spoiler:

Thanks for taking the time to read this, please give me your honest feedback & offer any other suggestions you may have, whether they are related to my questions or another aspect of Storyline and Gameplay, I'm always open to other people's ideas:)

No problem, always here to help. Sorry if it took me a while to respond, I was having a heavy Black Out. Don't be afraid to post on the thread, with more questions. Hope his helps.

**So sorry for the long post btw, had to fit all my questions in, & I still have plenty more to ask! XD**[/QUOTE]

~Justified~

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 23, 2015
This idea is good. With the release of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, it would be nice to have an event, to get some special Pokémon. There is alot of buzz around ORAS, so if your hack was released by that time, it would be a nice way to generate traffic. Seeing as you can't give Mega Stones, right now, being a Generation 3 hack(or at least, not yet), I'd look into perhaps, making sure a Pokémon, has their second(or hidden) ability.

Yeah I would check to make sure the hidden abilities are available beforehand. If their hidden abilities aren't available, I'm sure they (the players of the hack) would be fine with a special item and egg move like I was planning to do with the abilities.

Also, thank you for the suggestions for DLC Sidequests and events.

I actually had a similar idea, just for Battle Facility modes. Your idea works well . This could actually put a layer of strategic design to your hack, as the player, can't simply win, by sweeping with the right Pokémon. If you want ideas on the Gym Types, I'll pitch you some, to help you out.

Thank you! I thought it'd be a nice break from the Type-Based Gyms, and it would balance the gyms a bit better, add some difficulty for the players, and make my game unique among the hacks that use the same Type-Based Gyms as the main series games.

Thanks for the help! I look forward to your next update (as always)!:)

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016

Spoiler:

**So sorry for the long post btw, had to fit all my questions in, & I still have plenty more to ask! XD**

Now that's an awesome idea O)
Wouldn't accuracy be a bit underpowered though o.o

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years

Depends on what you do with it. Not only could the opponent be ensuring their Pokemon always hit, they could try to make it so you can't. Moves like Mud-Slap, Sand-Attack, or even Double Team (even though it deals with Evasion) would be annoying, even frightening in the wrong hands. I remember the time I almost blacked out against that guy with a Shiftry in R/S/E's Route 123 because of his abuse of Double Team. xD

I like the idea of Gyms specializing in a stat, like an extension of Norman's Gym. Go for it Magic Guard! xD

~Justified~

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 23, 2015

Not necessarily. It would most likely be one of the gyms encountered early on in the game. The trainers and Gym Leader would use items such as X Accuracy and certain held items that raise their Pokemon's accuracy, as well as using moves that raise their own accuracy and lower the accuracy of Player's Pokemon. They would have offensive moves as well, (they won't just be spamming sand attack and lock on :P) they'll have tough teams as well (not too tough though, just enough so that the player won't breeze through the gyms without any difficulty or strategizing required at all, I want there to be some effort involved in earning gym badges).

So it should be fairly balanced!

Depends on what you do with it. Not only could the opponent be ensuring their Pokemon always hit, they could try to make it so you can't. Moves like Mud-Slap, Sand-Attack, or even Double Team (even though it deals with Evasion) would be annoying, even frightening in the wrong hands. I remember the time I almost blacked out against that guy with a Shiftry in R/S/E's Route 123 because of his abuse of Double Team. xD

I like the idea of Gyms specializing in a stat, like an extension of Norman's Gym. Go for it Magic Guard! xD

Thanks!:) Norman's Gym is actually what gave me the idea, I was thinking of how I could change the Gyms to make my game unique, & I thought of Norman's gym immediately. Glad to see other people like my idea!^_^

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
Not necessarily. It would most likely be one of the gyms encountered early on in the game. The trainers and Gym Leader would use items such as X Accuracy and certain held items that raise their Pokemon's accuracy, as well as using moves that raise their own accuracy and lower the accuracy of Player's Pokemon. They would have offensive moves as well, (they won't just be spamming sand attack and lock on :P) they'll have tough teams as well (not too tough though, just enough so that the player won't breeze through the gyms without any difficulty or strategizing required at all, I want there to be some effort involved in earning gym badges).

So it should be fairly balanced!

Thanks!:) Norman's Gym is actually what gave me the idea, I was thinking of how I could change the Gyms to make my game unique, & I thought of Norman's gym immediately. Glad to see other people like my idea!^_^
Ah I see. I forgot about evasiveness and stuff XD

Bliss

Part-time Pegasister, Part-time PokéFreak
Years
Spoiler:
I hope there is an event before the Gym for evasion that gives a Pokemon that can learn Swift lol.

In other news: I'm still on break from hacking at the moment, but your guide has been giving me some more ideas on a hack I've been itching to get started. Don't want to give too many details, since I'm planning on completing this hack before posting anything specific about it, but I will say this: Freedom. Freedom to do what you want, when you want. (Greatly inspired by PSE, and will be credited as such, if game reaches completion)

DJTiki

Years
Hey, look an update again. Looks like this is on Vanilla Trainers. How come I haven't updated in like a week? Let me tell you a funny story.

So my computer crashed and I lost all my data on it(not like it was unexpected though, it was on the verge). So I didn't invest alot of time on trying to rewrite it. So I came at crossroads, and decided to do the rest of it when I get a new one. BUT I then remembered that I write all the updates on Google Drive. So I came to the ultimate decision of writing all my updates on my tablet of all things. Just saying, it is a little more easier. Thanks Google Drive, you aren't completely useless. :)

So how are you guys doing in hacking and other stuff? Took a break too? Got any new ideas for more hacks? Let us hear it, I'm sure it is good.

Bliss

Years
Hey, look an update again. Looks like this is on Vanilla Trainers. How come I haven't updated in like a week? Let me tell you a funny story.
Call me a noob if you need to but, what do you mean by Vanilla Trainers? I don't think I understand that one..

So how are you guys doing in hacking and other stuff? Took a break too? Got any new ideas for more hacks?
Let us hear it, I'm sure it is good.
Well, I'm not sure if you knew this, but some things have come up for me IRL, so I haven't really had much time to hack or enjoy playing hacks.. (or anything of interest, to be honest) but today I had a couple of hours of free time and I ultimately decided I'd make a Yellow Hack.. Without any planning whatsoever lol.

But I have run into a major issue: No Event Editor.

The only map editor I've found has no event tab, so I can't edit any of the in game events lol. I just spent a bit of time looking for a way to add such functionality myself, only to discover that I have absolutely no C# knowledge lol.

So yeah, that's how my day is going. How are you? xD

Oh, and sorry about your computer. Mine is quite close as well. Momentary freezes have me scared of the blue screen of death, which may or may not be lurking nearby, waiting for a chance to strike... possibly in the next few seconds lol.

Now.. How should I go about this Yellow hack..? Maybe I'll try to get some help.. or maybe I'll try to make an ini file so that the R/B tool can work with it..

EDIT: That double quote and double spoiler glitch is getting annoying..

DJTiki

Years
Call me a noob if you need to but, what do you mean by Vanilla Trainers? I don't think I understand that one..

Vanilla is another word for plain or not special

B][/B]Well, I'm not sure if you knew this, but some things have come up for me IRL, so I haven't really had much time to hack or enjoy playing hacks.. (or anything of interest, to be honest) but today I had a couple of hours of free time and I ultimately decided I'd make a Yellow Hack.. Without any planning whatsoever lol.

Well I'm sorry about anything that is going on for you IRL. Now is actually a good time to make a Yellow Hack. There is a good Map Editor and some Scripting Tuts. Plus itari's minisprite editor is helpful. Everything starts with an idea :).

But I have run into a major issue: No Event Editor.

The only map editor I've found has no event tab, so I can't edit any of the in game events lol. I just spent a bit of time looking for a way to add such functionality myself, only to discover that I have absolutely no C# knowledge lol.

Oh. Well, I'd look into Generation 1 Hack threads, and see the tools they used to hack. It'll help you, in the long run.

So yeah, that's how my day is going. How are you? xD

I'm doing good, thansk for asking. Moving has been relatively docile, could've gone better, but it could've been worse. Just sitting doing nothing, except redocumenting my plans(since they were deleted)

Oh, and sorry about your computer. Mine is quite close as well. Momentary freezes have me scared of the blue screen of death, which may or may not be lurking nearby, waiting for a chance to strike... possibly in the next few seconds lol.

It's fine. n_n I saw it coming. Besides, I would've just got angry with it crashig everytime, I spend 2+ hours on a map. :( Just need to get another one. Hopefully soon.

Now.. How should I go about this Yellow hack..? Maybe I'll try to get some help.. or maybe I'll try to make an ini file so that the R/B tool can work with it..

Making an ini. file could help. The only problem is that most people don't hack Gen 1. But nonetheless, it has been done. Just start asking stuff to people. They probably know more than I do. Good luck though. :)

Bliss

Years
Vanilla is another word for plain or not special
I see, thank you for explaining lol.
Well I'm sorry about anything that is going on for you IRL. Now is actually a good time to make a Yellow Hack. There is a good Map Editor and some Scripting Tuts. Plus itari's minisprite editor is helpful. Everything starts with an idea :).

I'd look into Generation 1 Hack threads, and see the tools they used to hack. It'll help you, in the long run.
I'll definitely have a look. Itari's Minisprite editor.. I'll have a look for that specifically as well.
It's fine. n_n I saw it coming. Besides, I would've just got angry with it crashig everytime, I spend 2+ hours on a map. :( Just need to get another one. Hopefully soon.
Oh, I know the feeling. My hack project (Pokemon Child of Giovanni) was stopped for that exact reason. I spent roughly 45 minutes making the perfect renovations to Viridian's Gym to turn it into a small manor and then poof! "All your work are belong to me!" said the crash. After that, (and a few similar events) I got so mad and bored that I finally said forget it and informed the team that I was dropping, even though I started the team. And with that, the team was broken up. Not 48 hours later, some things come up IRL that keep me from getting online as much as I'd like.. So I guess it all worked out somehow.
Making an ini. file could help. The only problem is that most people don't hack Gen 1. But nonetheless, it has been done. Just start asking stuff to people. They probably know more than I do. Good luck though. :)
I wonder why so few people hack Gen 1 though. Keeping things simple can allow the hacker to focus on the plot instead of Fakemon and all those extra features.

Obviously, if you want the best game play experience you will want more features, such as hold items and such, but if you are going for a plot hack with a focus on story.. features don't really matter, do they? What's more, Gen 1 is extremely simply, isn't it? So few tools exist simply because there were fewer tools before Gen 3 was released. (Or at least before hackers had reverse engineered the GBA and Gen 3 games) But as things are now, I think we should have more tools for Gen 1 than for Gen 3, but I guess that's just me being a genwunner lol.

What I really want to see is a Map Editor that has support for all Gen 1, 2, and 3 games. Obviously, this is quite a feat, and I doubt we will ever see one. But that's why it's just a hope lol.

Oh, have you decided what section you will tackle next? (After Vanilla Trainers, obviously)

DJTiki

Years
Oh, I know the feeling. My hack project (Pokemon Child of Giovanni) was stopped for that exact reason. I spent roughly 45 minutes making the perfect renovations to Viridian's Gym to turn it into a small manor and then poof! "All your work are belong to me!" said the crash. After that, (and a few similar events) I got so mad and bored that I finally said forget it and informed the team that I was dropping, even though I started the team. And with that, the team was broken up. Not 48 hours later, some things come up IRL that keep me from getting online as much as I'd like.. So I guess it all worked out somehow.

I probably made a dozen awesome looking maos for PSE, for the exact same thing to happen. It's really anger-inducing sometimes. You can always pick back up on your team :) don't give up, it was a really awesome idea, that I wojdl hate to see wasted. Do what you can, it'll sort itself out, if you work hard enough. You'll end up laughing at it, once its done.

I wonder why so few people hack Gen 1 though. Keeping things simple can allow the hacker to focus on the plot instead of Fakemon and all those extra features.

Mainly because Generation 1, from a developer or anypne who codes, is a broken mess, and unorganized. It's sorta like LG and Sapphire, just weirder. There are alot of outdated things for it, like Sp.Att and Def being combined into one Special(another reason Alakazam, as it learns all the elemental punches, was broken). So I'm not surprised. Just need more things for it, honestly.

Obviously, if you want the best game play experience you will want more features, such as hold items and such, but if you are going for a plot hack with a focus on story.. features don't really matter, do they? What's more, Gen 1 is extremely simply, isn't it? So few tools exist simply because there were fewer tools before Gen 3 was released. (Or at least before hackers had reverse engineered the GBA and Gen 3 games) But as things are now, I think we should have more tools for Gen 1 than for Gen 3, but I guess that's just me being a genwunner lol.

Really. When it boils down to it, the only factor that creates the illusion for diffuculty in making ROM Hacks, is time. If something takes up more time. Gen 1 and Gen 3, pretty much takes the exact amount of time, difference being the quantity of tools.

What I really want to see is a Map Editor that has support for all Gen 1, 2, and 3 games. Obviously, this is quite a feat, and I doubt we will ever see one. But that's why it's just a hope lol.

Doesn't sound too wild actually. The code for all 3 Gen mappin tools, is out there, so making a universal tool, isn't hard. Just need to make a way to switch between gens seamlessly.

Oh, have you decided what section you will tackle next? (After Vanilla Trainers, obviously)

I actually stated it, in the guide :). But next is Gym Leaders n_n

Bliss

Years
I probably made a dozen awesome looking maos for PSE, for the exact same thing to happen. It's really anger-inducing sometimes. You can always pick back up on your team :) don't give up, it was a really awesome idea, that I wojdl hate to see wasted. Do what you can, it'll sort itself out, if you work hard enough. You'll end up laughing at it, once its done.
I made the idea open source. I said that anyone who wants it can have it lol. At least, I think I did. I better go check lol.

Anyway, I don't have the experience to take on such a complex hack yet. I'd rather make a couple of basic hacks to get myself going, and if I can stick it out that long then I know that I'll be able to make a really good hack later.
Mainly because Generation 1, from a developer or anypne who codes, is a broken mess, and unorganized. It's sorta like LG and Sapphire, just weirder. There are alot of outdated things for it, like Sp.Att and Def being combined into one Special(another reason Alakazam, as it learns all the elemental punches, was broken). So I'm not surprised. Just need more things for it, honestly.
Everyone hates Sapphire.. but I loved it. It really saddens me to see Sapphire from the developer's side of things, because of how it was made. I really hope that someday it will have the same love and adoration that Ruby has, though I highly doubt it ever will. T.T
Really. When it boils down to it, the only factor that creates the illusion for diffuculty in making ROM Hacks, is time. If something takes up more time. Gen 1 and Gen 3, pretty much takes the exact amount of time, difference being the quantity of tools.
The quantity of tools is exactly what ruins Gen 1 hacking. All of the Gen 3 tools are either still under development or were near perfect upon release. Whereas, most of the Gen 1 tools were either unfinished or made open source before they were ready. Obviously, there are exceptions to this, but most of the Gen 1 tools I have found are quite buggy. Still looking for other tools, even while checking replies lol.
Doesn't sound too wild actually. The code for all 3 Gen mappin tools, is out there, so making a universal tool, isn't hard. Just need to make a way to switch between gens seamlessly.
I actually tried to tackle this project myself, by combining the open source programs available. Unfortunately, the Gen 1 was programmed in Java, Gen 2 was programmed in something called "Delphie" and Gen 3 was developed using C# (or C++, I can't tell the difference lol) so that plan stopped in it's tracks. And I had thought about having a feature lock system, to remove certain features based on which ROM was loaded.

For example, if you are making a Pokemon Yellow hack, you would have no use for a Day and Night system, found in Gen 2+.

I also wanted to include an Open Source Script Editor I found, but that would bring in even more issues with the Script Generator. This is where feature locking will really come in handy. Like, when making a Give Pokemon script, what point is there in having hold items in a Yellow hack? Also, there is no Gender function in Pokemon Yellow, if memory serves, so that would be pointless as well.
^ That reminds me.. Has anyone figured out what those three buffers are in the givepokemon script? I have long believed that one of them was to affect gender, but I never played around to try and see what they did.
Plenty of other things would need to be locked for Gen 1 games, like Berries and Special Balls (Heavy Ball, Premier Ball, et cetera) and far more that I just can't think of at the moment lol.

Ah, while I'm thinking about it.. Has anyone figured out how to make a Pokemon follow the player, like in Yellow? I'd like to make a remake of Yellow in Fire Red.. Sounds fun lol. Fire Red graphics and game play, but with Pokemon Yellow story and Pikachu following the player. Ooh~ How about a way to make the first Pokemon in your party follow you? I'd love to have a Vulpix following me around~
I actually stated it, in the guide :). But next is Gym Leaders n_n
This was actually just my attempt at getting back on topic xD And I was curious as to whether or not you had changed anything in the schedule.

Back