• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Is it crazy that I never used EXP Share?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 29, 2015
Pokemon Y was the first title I had played since 4th gen and In every gen before that Ive ignored Exp Share so I had no reason not to this gen. Now I feel like a paranoid old man because everyone told me it was great but I was too set in my ways.

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
Years
Pokemon Y was the first title I had played since 4th gen and In every gen before that Ive ignored Exp Share so I had no reason not to this gen. Now I feel like a paranoid old man because everyone told me it was great but I was too set in my ways.

I was like that at first... but then after experimenting with it, I found that it really does distribute the Experience points fairly well! And it's easier than ever to equally level up and train your pokemon as you progress through your journey.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years

You should get gen 5 games they are really good

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
The Exp. Share mechanic from the 6th Generation differs a lot from the previous titles, while a bit similar to Generation I's Exp. All.

My advice is do not use it if you want real challenges in-game, unless you wanna overpower the in-game trainers and bashing how easy the whole game is.

Years
I didn't mind using the Exp. Share that much, especially with the awkward level curve at certain points in the game, like they are encouraging you to use it. But as Unapologetic said, if you prefer having an actual challenge then try not to leave it on too often or you will overpower the NPCs.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 29, 2015
The way I play I've never really had to use it in any gen I never thought it was really useful plus I like leveling my pokemon one at a time

demingiscool

Mega Mewtwo Y
Years
I didn't mind using the Exp. Share that much, especially with the awkward level curve at certain points in the game, like they are encouraging you to use it. But as Unapologetic said, if you prefer having an actual challenge then try not to leave it on too often or you will overpower the NPCs.

Game freak were encouraging us to use more pokemon in the game with the new mechanic and that's what I love in the gen 6 games. You could let the pokemon you just caught easily catch up to the team.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
There are people that have never used it much due to how easy Exp. Share seemed to have made things, so in any way, I wouldn't call it crazy! Though, I personally dislike keeping this feature off; I'm fond of training my Pokémon more quickly with the item.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
At first I didn't mind the EXP Share because I really didn't know what to expect. After my first run through I decided to keep it off and only turn it on during grinding to make things easier. So I don't think it's crazy that you didn't use it since most players didn't use it either.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 29, 2015
At first I didn't mind the EXP Share because I really didn't know what to expect. After my first run through I decided to keep it off and only turn it on during grinding to make things easier. So I don't think it's crazy that you didn't use it since most players didn't use it either.
I thought most players used it this gen since I heard so many positive things about it

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
I thought most players used it this gen since I heard so many positive things about it

While there are positive things about it, I remember most players that I talk to complaining that their whole team was pushing level 80+ when they got to the Elite Four. It really comes down to preference though. If you like a challenge, don't turn it on since it can make you super over-leveled.

Years
Honestly I played it both with and without exp share. There wasn't too much of a difference considering how you get more exp for doing everything pretty much. And the O powers were OP as well.

Years
I ended up using it since I couldn't be bothered to turn it off at all.

Now it's probably kind of spoiled me, heh. Every time I go back to an older gen now: "Oh, right...I have to actually train my other pokemon by hand if I want them to gain levels. Hm. Well, that's a drag."

And I'll keep it on because, well, why not. I'm not looking for a challenge, I'm looking for leveled pokemon. :p

Years
My first play through of X I used the Exp. Share because how great it is. Rather than sharing the exp with just one Pokemon, this gen shares it with all of them. It's pretty cool, especially if you want to powerhouse through the game. But I just recently restarted my game and I'm refusing to use it at all this time, as it does take away from the challenge. I find X to be pretty easy compared to the previous generations so by not using the Exp. Share, it helps bring back a little bit of that challenge. So you're definitely not crazy!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 2, 2016
My very first playthrough of X I had the Exp Share on and I thought it was cool, then I very quickly started to out level trainers by as much as 5 or 10 levels with a full party of 6 and so I restarted my game and since then I've always turned it off. I think it's a cool thing if you've beat the game and are trying to level all your Pokémon up to 100 or something. But as from playing through the story I could never have it on!

nightsmith97

Know Thyself
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 27, 2015
I never use the EXP. Share in 6th Gen. games. It sort of feels like a cheat to me, whereas in previous generations it was a challenge to make sure all your Pokemon were leveling up at a steady pace. Therefore I just train all my Pokemon the old fashioned way.

Back