• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Over-Prewriting?

..Beyond

Cut your losses.
Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2014
    Is there such a thing?

I think this is what's putting a stop to a great deal of my writing. I just started a new fanfiction a while ago, and I have one prewritten through to the end (in addition to the unfinished Arcane Legends, which is prewritten through the end as well).

Is there a remedy for this situation (besides not prewriting it, since I've already finished all that)?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • I think the only time you actually over-prewrite is when you don't actually produce anything. Basically, you spend so much time working on a certain story that you lose interest in it and don't even bother posting it.

That having been said, one remedy that I know of is, for future stories, tell yourself you're only going to prewrite up until a certain point. Then, no matter what you do, stop when you get to that point and switch to actual writing. Chances are, along the way, you're going to want to change a few details here and there, so it's okay if you go back and forth between your plans and your story every now and then, if that makes sense.

Another idea is to just let yourself prewrite until you think you're done, then go to writing the story. As long as you're still interested in writing it, it never hurts to know what you want to write about. Some authors actually prefer laying down the story before actually writing it so they know what they want to say.

So, really, it's just a matter of keeping yourself interested in your story. Rewrite elements of your plans every now and then to make it feel like something new when you go to write it. Whatever you do, don't let yourself feel as if it's starting to bore you.

Hope I've understood the question and given you something you can work with. ^_^; Good luck!

..Beyond

Cut your losses.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2014
    That pretty much covers it. I managed to work my way around it for one of the stories I'm working on, and I ended up adding in things that I'd accidentally skipped. I'll post it soon, so people can read it.

Back