• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Torkoal - Protect vs. Amnesia?

Years
  • Hi everybody,

I'm currently playing through Emerald version and reliving my wonderful memories in Hoenn. I've never used Torkoal before so I figured I would give him a shot.

I'm thinking of the following moveset:

> Strength
    > Toxic
    > Flamethrower
    > Amnesia or Protect

Given that moveset, would Amensia or Protect be better? Also happy to hear other suggestions. I'm just using him for the singleplayer, not competitive battling.

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2016
    Hi!

I would choose Protect because it can be used to avoid any type of attack no matter how powerful it is. It can be very useful if your opponent has a 1 hit KO type of move.

Years
  • (...) I would choose Protect (...)

Hi Espeonica, thanks for the reply! I've been using Protect since he learned it and I think I agree with you! It seems much more useful for avoiding power moves and speeding up the effects of Toxic's poison or Flamethrower's burn.

Sweet sig btw!

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2016
    A wise decision, gehringgame! haha Thank you (: Your avatar looks mouthwatering lol

Years
  • A wise decision, gehringgame! haha Thank you (: Your avatar looks mouthwatering lol
    I know, I'm regretting picking that avatar. I'm constantly craving pancakes now. :|

I'd go with Protect. Nice to see someone still paying the 3rd generation games :D Hope ya enjoy it.

Thank you, I do enjoy it! Emerald is my favorite Pokemon game (although my best memories are actually with Ruby). I think I'll always come back to it until the day that my GBA finally kicks the bucket.

Aha! A dissenter arises! Why did you choose amnesia instead?

Back