• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are there too many "cute" pokémon?

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I have enough with cute Pokemon
    GF should create--

--Non-legendary Giant Pokemon that can fly .

-- Big Quadruped Feline/Canine non-legendary rid-able Pokemon like Arcanine or Entei.

--Mecha-based Steel Pokemon .

Mecha-Ridley confirmed. :D

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I don't see why you're all being so edgy about this. Sure, there's lots of cute pokemon, but there are plenty of "Badass" looking pokemon as well, and there certainly wouldn't be more if jigglypuff and eevee just disappeared. Besides, there are cute animals in real life, so it's not like the cuter pokemon don't fit in with the world.

Who's being edgy? Everyone's just stating their opinions, no reason to insult them if their opinions don't coincide with yours.

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
    Years
  • I actually don't think there are enough cute Pokemon. It's just that Kalos gave us a flood of fairy-types that were designed with cuteness in mind, and several of them ended up almost overly saccharine. When such a large number of the newest Pokemon have been designed to be adorable, it's tempting to extrapolate and say that there are too many cute Pokemon in general.

And so what if some Pokemon are meant to be cute? As long as they aren't completely sickly sweet (looking at you, Dedenne), I say bring 'em on.

Years
  • You can never have too much cute Pokemon.

True, because I love the cute stuff.

But aside from all that, I don't think there's too many "cute" Pokemon. I still think there's a decently good balance between cuties and the more menacing stuff, because there are fans of both sides to consider.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • I don't think there are too many cute Pokemon, as there is monster Pokemon. What I do hate is that we think is that cute = weak, monster = strong. What I would love to see is cute Pokemon that are strong or stronger than a typical monster Pokemon.

Lexa

My maturity level depends on who I'm with. ;D
    Years
  • I personally think there isn't. There a nice balance between "cute" and "epic/monster" (if that's even a category). Since they tend to make Pokemon is mass quantities, they should do 1/1 for both categories.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Too bad , There aren't any perfect design Pokemon like Lucario that look both Cute & Tough !!!

Years
  • I don't mind the cute Pokemon that much (sometimes I do) but one thing that drives me nuts is when gamefreak isn't creative with their cute Pokemon.

How many cute electric rodents are there? Pikachu and Raichu in Gen I, and then pichu in Gen II. That's fine, and then they introduce Plusle and Minum in Gen III, which are electric rabbits, I think? Then, they release Pacharisu(squirrel) in DP, Emolga (flying squirrel!) in BW, and they just released an electric mouse called Dedenne in XY! Way to make a full circle, Nintendo, releasing a pokemon that literally is just a spin on Pikachu instead of a new animal or idea that we haven't seen before.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I don't think there are too many "cute" Pokemon, but I do think the franchise over-markets the cute Pokemon over the non-cute ones far too much anymore. Pikachu aside, the base forms of starters, Eeveelutions, and the Pikachu clones are particularly abusive of this trope.
    Exactly my opinion right here!

I think it depends in which part of the world you live in as well. I've noticed that someone in here mentioned that little boys tend to have fangasms over "cool" Pokemon like Charizard or Lucario. In western countries, people prefer the manlier sort of Pokemon. Those badasses. And thus, those are kind of overadvertised here. But in Japan, there's more of a culture for the adorable and cute. Hence why a lot of those get advertised as well, probably more so than the cool ones.

But there's just as much variety for cute Pokemon as there are other types. it's just that those cute ones, due to Pokemon being a Japanese franchise and them being more marketable, receive the most attention. Pikachu is favored rather than the still cute, yet badass Raichu.

Basically, I don't think there's too many cute Pokemon. I just think they're overadvertised and it makes it difficult to remember that we have plenty of beasts in here. As well as Pokemon that are both cute and cool. (Like Raichu.) Those tend to be my favorites.

Reactions: Tek
    Years
  • I personally don't think the problem is with the abundance of cute Pokémon as much as it is how similar they all are. Pink small blob is way too common a theme.

ditto.gif
    jigglypuff.gif
    cleffa.gif
    munna.gif
    swirlix.gif
    clefairy.gif
    chansey.gif
    whismur.gif
    mew.gif
    corsola.gif

seriously like every pink pokémon looks the same

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • I think it's just a matter of perspective; a natural result of how we see things as time marches on.

While younger- we're not likely to pay much heed to the 'Mons we don't think much of, due to our attentions being grabbed quite forcibly by those who do. Our attention is grabbed away from them unless they're immediate.

But as we get older and mature- we're able to step back and see things more evenly- more likely to notice the 'Mons designed to a targeted audience.

i.e. There isn't a pronounced increase in "cutesie" Pokemon- it's just that we're better able to recognise 'em.

Reactions: Tek

Tek

Years
  • When I was younger, I only liked the strong, tough-looking Pokémon. Now I find that I often prefer the unevolved forms, despite the difference in base stats. There are plenty of each, and some Pokémon that are both!

Years
  • HI,

I think its fine, I believe the creators of the game made it on purpose to have as many cute pokemon as possible and I dont beloieve there going to be any changes to that.

Kind regards,

Wondermeow

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • Exactly my opinion right here!

I think it depends in which part of the world you live in as well. I've noticed that someone in here mentioned that little boys tend to have fangasms over "cool" Pokemon like Charizard or Lucario. In western countries, people prefer the manlier sort of Pokemon. Those badasses. And thus, those are kind of overadvertised here. But in Japan, there's more of a culture for the adorable and cute. Hence why a lot of those get advertised as well, probably more so than the cool ones.

But there's just as much variety for cute Pokemon as there are other types. it's just that those cute ones, due to Pokemon being a Japanese franchise and them being more marketable, receive the most attention. Pikachu is favored rather than the still cute, yet badass Raichu.

Basically, I don't think there's too many cute Pokemon. I just think they're overadvertised and it makes it difficult to remember that we have plenty of beasts in here. As well as Pokemon that are both cute and cool. (Like Raichu.) Those tend to be my favorites.

I agree, though it kind of hinders the one thing I do love about the Pokemon franchise, which is the massive variety of different creatures it has. There are cute Pokemon there are scary Pokemon, there are beautiful Pokemon and there are ugly Pokemon. If the focus was only one kind of Pokemon, it would get boring quickly, and with the overreliance on cute Pokemon, it already is to an extent. This is Pokemon, not Hello Kitty, and we should know that.

Back