• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"What language would you like to play in?"

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • Have you guys ever played Pokemon in a different language than your native? Were you familiar with the language and able to understand? Or did you not know the language and just kind of go with the flow of the game and prior Pokemon knowledge to get through? Do you enjoy being able to choose your language in gen VI? Is this a feature you would like to continue? Add anything else you'd like!

I personally have played in two other languages that aren't my own, Japanese and French. When HGSS was announced, I couldn't wait for it and since the release date in Japan was just a few weeks after my birthday, my grandmother preordered and imported the game for me for my gift. It was pretty awesome having the game before everyone haha. I also did this with White and Black 2 later. I can't read a lick of Japanese, but Pokemon is pretty straightforward and I've been playing it long enough to where I don't have difficultly following it, even in a language I can't read. I do have Green as well, which of course is Japanese only, and it's a little more difficult to follow without the colors and picture of later games, but it's easy to get a hang of after a while.

As for my French games, I have two, Silver and Sapphire (or Argent and Saphir, I should say). I actually bought Silver from a member here, Gonz0. :) Anyway, I am able to read French, so playing these games is a lot more fun for me. I'm not the best at French, but it is pretty exciting to read something and know what's being said. Makes me happy that I can continue my education in French through playing a game I love, haha. I also tried to play Y in French, but my team was really bad and I lost interest quickly because of that...not cause of the French, but that team...yikes.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I've only played two games in a different language, both were in Japanese. The first one was some Naruto game on PS2 when I was younger and Jump Ultimate Stars on Nintendo DS. It would be cool to play Pokemon in another language though; I know some Spanish so I'm sure I could understand most of the conversations if I changed the settings to that vernacular. Maybe I'll try that, it really would be a useful tool if people wanted to learn at least the basic to a new language.

Years
  • I can understand French well enough that I think I'd be able to play one of the Pokemon games in it without missing too much. It might actually jog my memory a bit too, since I haven't used French much since high school, and I'm probably a bit rusty with it. Maybe one day I'll give it a go if I get an extra copy of a game or something.

As for the other languages, I know basically nothing, so I don't see the point in trying them. But, I've been playing Pokemon long enough that I could probably fumble my way through, even if I've got no idea what's going on contextually.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    So far I only play them in English as it's official language GF have to offer, but I wish there's Bahasa Indonesia but it's only a dream since GF manage to localize pretty well and look forward on the remakes with Indonesian as another localization on the game.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I haven't. I don't know nearly enough of any other language to feel comfortable playing in a language besides English. Yeah, in Pokemon and maybe a few other games I could probably set the language to something else and I'd be ok, but idk....

Years
  • I have not played in any language beyond English, but maybe I can sometime on Generation VI to try to make it more interesting. The Japanese are where it came from...

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I've never played a game from another region nor in another language. It would be a good way to learn another language a bit though, while I constantly use Google Translate to get through the game :P

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • Yes, every single one of them. Pokémon isn't translated to my native language, playing in English is common for most games here. At first I wasn't able to fully understand every part of the conversations, but for most of them it wasn't even important. I used a dictionary or asked my mother when I needed to understand an ability description for example. I must admit I misinterpreted some things at the point. For example, I used to think growl was whipping up sand around you, because of the DPPt animation.

I've also played FireRed in German, just to experience how that would be. At that point I spoke it well enough to understand about everything in the game.

Years
  • I've played a few of the older games in Japanese. I knew enough of the language to...not understand the story one bit. :D That is, I barely knew any of it, but that didn't stop me from playing because I just wanted to experience the games, I didn't care that I couldn't understand it at all!

Pretty much just figuring out the words on the battle menu, and the words for pokeballs and potions and whatnot, was enough for me to be able to blunder my way through a bit of those games. Don't think I would try such a thing now, I'm just going to play the games in English now, but yeah. I used to do that.

Years
  • I took German one year so I decided to try playing X in German...I knew very few of the words.

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
    Years
  • I once tried to play Pokemon Y in German just for kicks, but otherwise always leave my games set to English. I've taken a couple years of Spanish in middle and high school each, but don't think I'd be able to understand it fully enough to play any games all the way through in that, either, unless I had all of the text and battle menus/options memorized well enough and could recognize enough words to get by.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Well... since I'm not a native English speaker and I played in English, obvious answer is yes. =D
    But I never had any problems. Pokemon English is pretty low-level.
    Excluding that, I played my dose of games in Japanese. Since there's option to play completely in hiragana, it's more than great for practicing.

Back