• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Helping Homeless is a Crime

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
  • Why should helping anyone be a crime? Excepting of course helping people commit crimes.
    i thi
    Its really dumb. I honestly do not see why that would be illegal. I think it might have a lot to do with keeping property and public areas more pretty and retain their value. That would be my guest, but even if that did make a difference, its still a terrible law in my opinion.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • It should never be a crime to help somebody in a time of need.

While there's plenty of room for discussing HOW you should help them; it's not a question of whether you should or should not. If you feel that you can and want to do so; then do so.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Helping someone commit a crime should be, and is, a crime. However, helping someone in any other regard should not be considered a crime by an means. It is quite baffling to think that helping homeless people, could be a crime. If it is and if it develops to be, then I will truly be disappointed in the world.

I help feed the homeless every month or so with my youth group. And the term help can mean many things - help them financially, help them with some food, giving them blankets or simply holding a conversation with them. More often than not, the people I meet, who have nothing, want more than anything to have a conversation with someone. To know that they are important, that they exist and that they deserve some time of day to get to know and be listened to. So many people walk past the homeless as if they are invisible, and so to strike up a conversation with them means a lot more than a small bag of food does.

td;lr: No, helping the homeless should not be a crime.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • No it shouldn't be a crime. If someone's generous enough to help a complete stranger let them, why should the government control a deed such as helping someone when it's completely their choice? Oh yeah, I forgot... They don't give a fuck about anyone unless they pull in six figures.. Of course, they want people to stay poor, duh!

I know this is off topic and I'm dead serious... The government will literally bulldoze your home built of trees and stuff if you're homeless living in the woods, which proves they don't give a fuck about you. Politicians are some of the sickest and soulless human beings on this planet. They're the true "serial killers" in this world. Their only concern is controlling the masses and maintaining power and they will fuck anybody if it benefits them. They get richer and we stay poor.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Though about this a bit more. Some places make being homeless a crime so helping people who are homeless could be seen as supporting them with their "crime".

They don't usually say it so bluntly, but they have laws against loitering. I remember in my college town you couldn't sit on the ground in front of a building (like to wait for someone for instance) or a police officer would come and tell you to move. There's basically no free space anywhere. It's all private or government property.

Years
  • Everyone has a slump eventually where they're in trouble.
    It's only natural as humans to want to help each other out.
    The point is whether we should focuc on helping people short term, aka, giving them some food or some money, long term, helping them find a job or means of income.

Personally I think long term is better.

Years
  • That rule is just plain wrong in my opinion. I'd like to have a talk with whoever decided that helping someone who needed it most was a crime.

jappo

[b]Thank you for being you![/b]
    Years
  • I am actually a little bit shocked by the title of this topic.

I feel like helping someone is part of human nature, and when you ever got at a all time low, you would want other people to help you. I do agree that helping long time is better. But that doesnt mean that if I want to give a homeless man food, I should do it in the shadows so i wont get fined by the police. Luckely its not illegal here to help homeless people.

In the Netherlands there is a lot of attention to homeless people, and unless they screw themself over (like attacking other homeless people/ dealing drugs) they are almost guaranteed a place to sleep every night with a free meal.

Sir Codin

It's just a blatant attempt by ultra-capitalist gentrifying lawmakers to "solve" the problem of homelessness in their cities by trying to drive homeless people out of them. Like how they try to prevent homeless people from sleeping on sidewalks or benches by making them uncomfortable to lay down on. They're obsessed with making their cities look like a paradise to live in and don't want face the reality of having to take in a little less every week so people could avoid being homeless to begin with by getting paid a more livable wage or getting affordable housing.

They'd rather fight poor people than fight poverty.

Back