• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen How much are mint copies of Red and Yellow worth?

Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2015
    Hey guys,

I've been playing Pokemon since gen 1 as a child. I then skipped out until highschool and started back up with Ruby and Sapphire. Just bought Pokemon X this past month and have been loving it!

Anywho, when I was a kid in elementary school, my aunt decided to buy me all three original pokemon gameboy games: Red, Blue, and Yellow. Thing is, she is French, and knew I was taking French in school, so she got the French Pokemon versions. Furthermore, she completely forgot to give me all 3 versions. I went up to her house in New Hampshire 2 years ago (I was 21 at the time) and noticed two unopened Pokemon games literally coated in dust. Asked her about them and she confessed that they were originally for me on my 6th birthday or so but she forgot to give them to me! Needless to say she gave them to me. Which brings me to my current point in time. I absolutely love these games, but at this time emulation is really the way to go for first gen games due to the batteries most likely dying over time. So I'm curious how much I could sell these games to collectors. I'm all for keeping these on my shelf at home, but I figured I'd look into this to see what the actual value is. Obviously if they fetch a good enough price, ill look into selling them

Here are some pictures of the mint french games: imgur(DOT)com/a/lDorD

dragonite trainer

Retro Gamer, rarely here anymore.
    Years
  • :O
    That is just awesome.
    I don't know how much they are worth, but you would only have a few countries where people would likely buy them. I would leave them unopened and feel proud, because it is probably rare, but I don't know how valuable they are. Most places don't speak french (I am an american who does, but few do). The buyer would have to be willing to pay shipping from (I am assuming) america. Anyway, personally I would hold on to them, but I'm sure someone out there would pay a good sum for it.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • That's really amazing! I'm super jealous, really. I don't have any of my old boxes and I would love to start collecting some foreign copies of the main series, especially French since it's the only other language I know aside from English. Great find! Just remember that you cannot sell them here on this site.

Normally I'd merge this with the Q&A thread, but I think the uniqueness of the situation is enough for me to keep this as its own thread. Again, great find! I'd personally keep them myself, but that's just me. I like to collect. :P

Anyway, I know unopened American copies run about $299, but that's just asking price. I'm not sure if people actually buy them at that price, and I don't know whether or not being in French would up or down the price. I'd assume up, but I'm not sure how high in demand French games are. Have you tried looking around Amazon or eBay to maybe get a good estimate?

Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2015
    That's really amazing! I'm super jealous, really. I don't have any of my old boxes and I would love to start collecting some foreign copies of the main series, especially French since it's the only other language I know aside from English. Great find! Just remember that you cannot sell them here on this site.

Normally I'd merge this with the Q&A thread, but I think the uniqueness of the situation is enough for me to keep this as its own thread. Again, great find! I'd personally keep them myself, but that's just me. I like to collect. :P

Anyway, I know unopened American copies run about $299, but that's just asking price. I'm not sure if people actually buy them at that price, and I don't know whether or not being in French would up or down the price. I'd assume up, but I'm not sure how high in demand French games are. Have you tried looking around Amazon or eBay to maybe get a good estimate?

Thanks for the response. I most likely will keep them, they look pretty nice on my shelf :). Basically I'm just putting out a feeler to see if there is a market. I checked out amazon and eBay and saw similar prices to what you mentioned. Interestingly enough, most of the new American copies don't seem to be in the same sturdy scissor proof boxes. I recognize the rarity and definitely appreciate it. I'm not too sure where to begin on this search of value, but I figured this would be a good start. Any other thoughts on my situation?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I figure the plastic casing has to do with them being French. I don't recall GameBoy games being packaged like that when they were new. I know when I got my copy of Yellow, it was just in a box that was wrapped with plastic. Not hard plastic like in your pictures, though. So it's probably just a regional thing with how France packaged their games then.

Anyway, I don't really know if French games go for more or less, like I said. I'm not even sure how high in demand mint American copies go for, and I can't imagine that French copies are high in demand either, since that's more obscure. You've really got great gems there though. Be proud! :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2015
    I figure the plastic casing has to do with them being French. I don't recall GameBoy games being packaged like that when they were new. I know when I got my copy of Yellow, it was just in a box that was wrapped with plastic. Not hard plastic like in your pictures, though. So it's probably just a regional thing with how France packaged their games then.

Anyway, I don't really know if French games go for more or less, like I said. I'm not even sure how high in demand mint American copies go for, and I can't imagine that French copies are high in demand either, since that's more obscure. You've really got great gems there though. Be proud! :)

Believe me I'm happy. I just wish I still had the blew versione to complete the set :p

ingcoliptis

Best Pokémon Breeder NA 2015
    Years
  • Get the third, selling them as a sealed set is worth way more. Then youve gotta find someone to buy french pokemon games... French ebay, like end it in dot fr? I know japan is dot jp.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • Since I'm a game collector, I can help you a bit with this ;)
    I have been collecting games for over 5 years now, like retro games and colsoles too. I also, still own the complete sets of all Pokemon games, from the R/B/Y series (still with box, inlay, perfect working and mint state games and booklets) till the X/Y series we know today. All complete and safely kept in my "game/collection room" :3

Anyway, I can try to put a finger on your collection and come up with a possible price for what your games are worth.
    Concerning your games, Red and Yellow, these look extremely well cared for, since they are still in their seals (if I'm correct?). Sorry to ask, from which country are you exactly? From your story I know these games are French, I'm from Europe myself (Netherlands), so I can only determine the price in Euros, since I'm not familiar with Dollars or so :) But I can give you a price as a guideline, and then you can possible re-do some maths to get to the actual value, fitting your country :)

Well, as for Pokemon Red, UNLESS your games have never been opened, played etc. I know for a fact these prices can easily reach about over a $100 dollars. This may sound unreal or ridiculous, but this is actually accurate. Since these games are the first Pokemon Games, and therefore, will be never released again as new, owning these games in a new and mint state will easily get you around $100 dollars maybe (around 80-90 euros or so).
    You also have a Pokemon Yellow version in the same state, but, Pokemon Yellow is (just like Red for some reason) a highly-liked game. Since Yellow is the third in these series (these third releases were often somewhat more hard to get), you should ask a higher price if you are willing to sell these. Prices for a Pokemon Yellow game in this state can easily reach from around $200 dollars (around 160 euros or so).
    Remember, these are indications at the LOWEST. I just say this, because if you sell them, you should not accept lower than this! Period ;) So it's possible that the prices can go a little higher, but this is just an indication I can give you at this moment :)

I do have to say, since your games are in French, selling them may be somewhat more difficult because it's not a highly requested language to play these games in. Most games are English/USA and those are therefore, somewhat more worth in money than the French/German translations (because the market for German/French games is obviously smaller than the international English games).

Still, you have a little gold mine here! :) I'm happy to see you still could pick them up and that there are more people out there collecting these games. If you are willing to sell them, I wish you good luck and I hope I could help you with this in a way! :3

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I absolutely love these games, but at this time emulation is really the way to go for first gen games due to the batteries most likely dying over time.

Red, Blue, Yellow, FireRed and LeafGreen don't have internal batteries because none of these games have or rely on an internal clock, therefore there is nothing to worry about as far as batteries go.

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • Cool find! I wonder what you would have done with them if you did end up getting it when you were supposed to...

Red, Blue, Yellow, FireRed and LeafGreen don't have internal batteries because none of these games have or rely on an internal clock, therefore there is nothing to worry about as far as batteries go.

Red, Blue and Yellow use the battery to save though, don't they? After all there is no time based events in Gen I...
    FR/LG use a flash cart to save as well as R/S/E.

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2014
    Really interesting I would take them to a old school game store (obviously not gamestop) that has some knowledge on old games.

Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2015
    Since I'm a game collector, I can help you a bit with this ;)
    I have been collecting games for over 5 years now, like retro games and colsoles too. I also, still own the complete sets of all Pokemon games, from the R/B/Y series (still with box, inlay, perfect working and mint state games and booklets) till the X/Y series we know today. All complete and safely kept in my "game/collection room" :3

Anyway, I can try to put a finger on your collection and come up with a possible price for what your games are worth.
    Concerning your games, Red and Yellow, these look extremely well cared for, since they are still in their seals (if I'm correct?). Sorry to ask, from which country are you exactly? From your story I know these games are French, I'm from Europe myself (Netherlands), so I can only determine the price in Euros, since I'm not familiar with Dollars or so :) But I can give you a price as a guideline, and then you can possible re-do some maths to get to the actual value, fitting your country :)

Well, as for Pokemon Red, UNLESS your games have never been opened, played etc. I know for a fact these prices can easily reach about over a $100 dollars. This may sound unreal or ridiculous, but this is actually accurate. Since these games are the first Pokemon Games, and therefore, will be never released again as new, owning these games in a new and mint state will easily get you around $100 dollars maybe (around 80-90 euros or so).
    You also have a Pokemon Yellow version in the same state, but, Pokemon Yellow is (just like Red for some reason) a highly-liked game. Since Yellow is the third in these series (these third releases were often somewhat more hard to get), you should ask a higher price if you are willing to sell these. Prices for a Pokemon Yellow game in this state can easily reach from around $200 dollars (around 160 euros or so).
    Remember, these are indications at the LOWEST. I just say this, because if you sell them, you should not accept lower than this! Period ;) So it's possible that the prices can go a little higher, but this is just an indication I can give you at this moment :)

I do have to say, since your games are in French, selling them may be somewhat more difficult because it's not a highly requested language to play these games in. Most games are English/USA and those are therefore, somewhat more worth in money than the French/German translations (because the market for German/French games is obviously smaller than the international English games).

Still, you have a little gold mine here! :) I'm happy to see you still could pick them up and that there are more people out there collecting these games. If you are willing to sell them, I wish you good luck and I hope I could help you with this in a way! :3

Hey there. Thanks for the detailed response! I didn't see this first time I posted this thread, but I just decided to check in again. I am from the US, however yes, both of these games are 100% sealed and even have the sticker price still on them (in french francs!!!). Respond or PM me if you are still around.

PoK3Matr1x

A ROM Hackerino ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Years
  • Probably 10-20 dollars. I am not exactly sure due to the fact that they are quite old.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Old Pokémon games seem to be worth a fortune, nowadays. Literally. Just on eBay, you can see them going anywhere from $375 to $1000! (Yellow, in particular, seems to be worth more than RB, I guess because of Pikachu's popularity and the fact that it was technically never remade.)

Years
  • I really want to buy 2 gameboy colors, and Red, Blue, Silver, and Gold to play them and complete them 100% (besides celebi). I know I can easily get a hold of the GBC but my concern is buying games that will actually save.

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
    Years
  • Just looked it up on Amazon. One mint condition US Pokemon Red is going for sale between the range of $289.99, all the way to a whopping $671.16! That is expensive, but for an unopened, never played, from the factory game. It is rare

Spoiler:

ALSO. This fellow is one lucky son of a biscuit! Unopened and at a secondhand shop of all places!
    Spoiler:

Back