• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] The Ceramic Studio (another art gallery)

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
I began ceramics at the beginning of the second semester because my art teacher recommended it and she was teaching it. I had no experience, so this was pretty new to me. It turns out I love ceramics even though I am not the best at art in general. I worked pretty hard on these, but because I am a hard critic of myself, I dont think they are the best or very good. To be honest, I am pretty nervous about posting these here on PC, so yea. And constructive criticism is welcome, just please note many of these are my first time attempting them!

Edit: I actually took these pictures at my ceramics studio because we had a little "showing" and peer review time. I thought they were taken at my home, but they weren't, so I am sorry if I said so. :)

This isn't a ceramic piece, but its a painting I made in my foundations in art class. I think it may be obvious, but I can explain it if you want. :)

Spoiler:

Ok, so this is my first ever ceramic piece in the middle of creation. I am doing it via coil method, so it isn't flat or perfect, nor can it be. I made a base out of slab and then slip and score each coil before I add more. Then after about 5 layers, I smooth it with my finger, then with a rubber rib.

Spoiler:

And this is the piece before going into the kiln. Unfortunately, I am on vacation, so I can't take a picture of the finished piece. I think I did a bit more smoothing after this photo though. I also have a classmate in the background, but his/her (can't tell who lol) face isn't showing, so I think its ok.

Spoiler:

The next photos were taken at my house, but because I am not home, I can not take better photos with close ups. :(

So here is my first plate. Sorry for the weird yellow, I think it was the lighting. It is really blue, black, and white. I painted it with engobe, fired it in the kiln, then glazed it with clear glaze. I did this for the rest of the pieces I will be showing you. Both plates were hand built.

Spoiler:

My second plate, same issue as the first. This one is a little smaller, so it is more of a salad plate than a dinner plate. And again, I did not do the best job painting it because I am not very good at painting.

Spoiler:

This is my first try. I carved it, just like the first tray, but in the very middle, I did it too deep on accident. And again, the painting is not very straight.

Spoiler:

So because of the photos I took, I do not have close ups of the following things, so I will just post two images of them. They show my two cylinders I made on the wheel. They are probably my two highest quality works because I actually had a good system of painting them with my wheel. However, the trimming was not done too well because I was inexperienced at trimming. The bowl is very thick and I actually risked it exploding in the kiln. It was hand made instead of on the wheel, so it isn't perfect with the edges and stuff. I did not use the wheel to paint, so the painting is not done too well either. And the last two left are my coffee mugs and a saucer. My yellow and white one you can't see well, but it looks really cool in person with the colors and it looks nice and smooth as well (was hand built). My cup and saucer are well done other than the painting and stuff, but they are pretty good. I think there may be a crack on the handle of that cup though because I didnt slip it will enough.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

This last image was a box I made, but it ultimately crashed and burned because I used engobe and glaze on it at the wrong time thinking the engobe was actually glaze. So, I dont have a picture of the final product. At this point in time, it was still a work in progress, so yea. Also I was going for irony as you can see.

Spoiler:

So yea, thanks for looking at my work! I hope you enjoyed my small little gallery of my ceramic pieces. I am taking another class next year, so I am sure I will improve and make much more quality pieces! And I may post them as well!

Now, ceramics is sort of a hobby even though I am graded on it haha. I am looking for some ceramic classes for this summer. It is a sort of escape for me- I can chill just working on my pieces not having to worry about my other classes. Oftentimes, my art instructor put on music or a classmate did and the whole classes was very soothing for me. I am sure art is that way for many of you as well! Thanks for looking again!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Oh wow! We never get to see stuff like this here! This is really, really cool! :D

Your sculpture is actually very nice. All of your edges are even and level, they all seem to be even in thickness throughout, and it looks like all of them sit flush on a surface. Your paintwork is a little on the messy side, but some practice and a steady hand will help fix that in time, so just keep at it. This is a real treat, it's so cool to see more 3D arts here.

I'm excited to see what that box will look like when it's done. :3
To be honest, I am pretty nervous about posting these here on PC, so yea.
Aw dear, don't even worry about it. We all felt nervous the first time we posted art online, but I promise there are loads of supportive and constructive people on PC committed to seeing you improve. As long as your passionate, you'll never regret it! :)
until you look back years in the future, then you might regret it, but only because you've improved so much since then!

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
Oh wow! We never get to see stuff like this here! This is really, really cool! :D

Your sculpture is actually very nice. All of your edges are even and level, they all seem to be even in thickness throughout, and it looks like all of them sit flush on a surface. Your paintwork is a little on the messy side, but some practice and a steady hand will help fix that in time, so just keep at it. This is a real treat, it's so cool to see more 3D arts here.

I'm excited to see what that box will look like when it's done. :3
Aw dear, don't even worry about it. We all felt nervous the first time we posted art online, but I promise there are loads of supportive and constructive people on PC committed to seeing you improve. As long as your passionate, you'll never regret it! :)
until you look back years in the future, then you might regret it, but only because you've improved so much since then!

Thanks! Actually, the box failed. I mixed engobe and glaze together, so the thing came out flaky and everything. It was totally ruined. ;( I was pretty disappointed.

I definitely need to work on my painting skills haha. I am not the best, but I think I just need to learn how to have a steady hand and to keep my lines straight. I think if I lightly drew on the piece in pencil that would have worked out better. But hindsight is 20/20.

I think I should make a bunch of plates and stuff so I dont have to buy any when I go off to college lol.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I love the colors of the plate, striking but still comfortable to the eyes. :)
Those cups, I'd love one of them please! Haha! They sure look sturdy, but are they heavy?

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
I love the colors of the plate, striking but still comfortable to the eyes. :)
Those cups, I'd love one of them please! Haha! They sure look sturdy, but are they heavy?

Thanks! The plates and cups are probably my favorite!

I dont think I am willing to give them up haha, they are my first cups. They are not very heavy actually because they are kind of thin. The bowl is pretty heavy because its way too thick.

Reactions: Sun

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
Whoa! That's sick! You should make a pokemon!

Thanks! I haven't done any sculpture with clay, but I was actually thinking about messing around with clay that can be baked in an oven to practice making some little sculptures! Maybe if I am decent, I could open a shop here or something.

I could probably carve pokemon designs on a ceramic piece in the future, but I dont think my teacher or classmates would understand haha. Maybe if I can do it outside of school I will! :)

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Thanks! I haven't done any sculpture with clay, but I was actually thinking about messing around with clay that can be baked in an oven to practice making some little sculptures! Maybe if I am decent, I could open a shop here or something.

I could probably carve pokemon designs on a ceramic piece in the future, but I dont think my teacher or classmates would understand haha. Maybe if I can do it outside of school I will! :)

Is there any new projects on the ceramics? Please keep us updated (with pics, of course!). :)

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
Is there any new projects on the ceramics? Please keep us updated (with pics, of course!). :)

Yes! In the next few weeks Im starting a club in school where we make bowls and sell them for a profit. for money to donate to those in need! We are still brainstorming ideas. Unfortunately, I can't take a ceramics class this year because the school screwed up everyone's schedule, so just expect a lot of bowls! Maybe I can do something outside of school as well.

Reactions: Sun
Back