• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Couch Gaming / Lan Party

jappo

[b]Thank you for being you![/b]
Years
  • Heya Everyone!

I thought it would be fun to talk about a part of gaming that is (atleast for me) part of our gaming memories. The Couch Cöop/multiplayer and Lan parties!
    So here is my question to you guys. What are some of your best memories involving couch gaming/Lanparty?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couchgaming
    For Couch gaming, my best memories were actualy from elementary school. We lived 3 minutes walking from our school, and since my oldest brother had a Nintendo 64, everyday atleast 3 people from my class would come to my house to play on the N64. After a while my mother bought additional groceries, cause there were always atleast + 2 extra people for lunch at my house. It was absolutely amazing, playing Mario kart 64 with 5 or 6 people, where the winner had to switch out. Or Goldeneye 64. Best part was that 3 other friends also had N64's, so they would bring their own cartridges with different games.

After that, during High school, my oldest brother (gotta love him) had a Gamecube he didn't play that much on. So a lot of hours went into playing Mario kart Double dash, Mario party 5, Super smash brothers melee, and Timesplitters 3. After that, I bought a xbox 360, and Gears of war, never played more than 30 minutes with the same person. :)

Lanparty
    A pretty recent Lan party memory that is close to my heart was when some friends of mine came over to my house with their laptops, and we all bought and played Kerbal Space Program for the first time. Our challenge was to get to the moon first, and with no knowledge how the game works, and with some beers, its was a LOT of crashing. I 'won' the challenge, by Spearheading the rocket straight into the Moon. Had no time for breaking, since other people were also closeby.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are some of your couch gaming / Lan party memories? In my opinion, playing with your friends on the same screen is one of the best ways to play together, and saldy a lot of things are Online only nowadays (looking at you Halo).

Hope you have an awesome day! See ya!​

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I have a few stories of local multiplayer and co-op play. They usually devolve into random fun or challenges.
    On New Super Mario Bros 3 (NES), you can bounce on the head of the other player in the minigame, so my brother and I would try to bounce for as long as possible. It's like 10 seconds tops.
    In this FPS for the DS, Core I think, had hundreds of bugs and glitches in the multiplayer levels, so my friend would bring his game, DS download play with me, my brother, and one other friend and serch for new bugs or play with old ones. (There was this wall that you can stand at and have another player run into you until you get stuck in the wall. We got two people in the wall and one person outside the level.)
    Halo Combat Evolved was fun when I played co-op with my brother, andcwe tried to get through the game on legendary. But we could only do the first level.
    Last one. In Mario Kart DS, my brother put a few cheats on his game, like always in first place. So things get a little funky when I get in first place on my system, because on my screen, he was in last, and his screen was the reverse. The game crashed when the race ended, so I have no clue who was where for real.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • OH YES! OLD SCHOOL GAMING DAYS!

Couch Gaming:
    Me and my cousin were messing around with Halo 1 and Star Wars KOTOR 1 back in the day when we visited their place in Maryland. Original XBox baby. Gangsta box. I can even say that it was the sexyBox. After a usual day trip across the US of A, we would spend entire evenings playing through some delicious Halo Co-Op action.

As for other cases of console couch gaming, fighting games (Sorry Melo, we aren't going to get along with our opinions with Fightan games >: ))) ) is so much fun. I remember playing Tekken and Guilty Gear with my friends and we would usually try so hard against each other, while most others would just play like total scrubs and spam the same move over and over. I remember also, we were playing some MK9 and because it was on PS3, I picked Kratos (even though in reality he is a really poor character in this game), and I was wrecking all of my friends' faces to the point that one of the girls in the group told me that I should stop winning because it wasn't getting fun for everyone else XD

LAN PARTY
    I remember back in the day were me and my friends would just play some good ole Warcraft DotA (DotA when it was still a Warcraft custom map) and just have some fun and even salty in house carnages. Of course the PC Bang/Cybercafe we spent lots of moneys on had to manage with how wild and crazy me and my friends were especially in the most insane of games. Other than DotA, we were also playing the likes of Tree Tag, Battle Ships, Castle Fight, and even the ever glorious Pyramid Escape. We also played some CoD4 because CoD4 was that great, and even Team Fortress 2, heck Call of Juarez was a thing as well.

These memories were years ago when things were a lot less serious and smutty.

Playing with friends is and will always be the best experiences ever. Me and my friends love hanging out in PC Bangs/Internet Cafes/Cybercafes just so we can play some sweet League of Legends as a 5 man team, or us even arranging an in-house 5v5 Custom game were My team and my friends' team would go against each other and wreck each other's faces.

Some Steam games such as Demons with Shotguns offer Local Versus.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
  • I have SO MANY couch gaming memories (some more recent than you'd think).

Most of my early gaming memories were actually at friends' houses. In my household, we had a Genesis until about 2004, as the kid next door had an N64 and PS1 (later PS2) and the kid across the street had a Dreamcast. We mainly stuck to the N64 though. So many hours spent playing games like Pokemon Stadium (mainly mini games lol), Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and Wave Race. And then when we didn't feel like playing games, we'd chill out and watch some Dragon Ball Z on VHS.
    So, I finally ended up getting a GameCube years later, along with Mario Kart: Double Dash. My dad, that very same Christmas day, decided to try playing with me. Needless to say, he actually ended up getting pretty good at Mario Kart. He could actually beat most of my friends, and this is a guy who hadn't played a game since the NES.
    Then, there was when the Wii came out, and I was the first kid to freakin get one. There were like 10 other kids in my neighbourhood, and you can bet every single one of them was in my living room trying out some Wii Sports Bowling as soon as word got out.
    I have more but I'll probably add them later.

I only have one big LAN party experience, and that was when my brother-in-law brought me along for a Starcraft launch party. So many nerdy guys with computers (there were like 20 of us). So much BBQ. I was absolutely terrible at the game, as it was my first experience playing that genre of game, but I still had an overall great time. I even remember the name of the network: TheEpicLAN.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • My inner angryjoe and AlphaOmegaSin and my lust for supermurdering corporate idiots make me feel like I wanna fire some shotgun shells. How ironic is that the course I am taking up with is actually a business major (Human Resources).

So yeah the whole talk of things being only online now even for something as simple and nostalgic as Local Co-op has been something that I wanted to get out of my chest, and since thread poster even mentioned it.. lets rip and tear the corporate dungholes who think that Couch gaming is dead.

So.. here's our reference link:
    Why Halo 5 has no splitscreen

We see the robustness of what Xbox Live is today and where people are playing across Xbox Live--you at your house, me at our house. We know that's the vast majority of the co-op play. With Halo 5, the team really wanted to focus on making that experience great, both visually on the screen that you're looking at, and all the systems in place.

BULLCRAP! basically this PR crap and their "robustness" terminology translates into = "We want your money. We made a good game but we couldn't find a way to bring Co-op into the game. But don't worry! XBOX LIVE SOLVES EVERYTHING RIGHT?" XBOX LIVE IS SO ROBUST THAT PEOPLE WOULD RATHER INTERACT WITH EACH OTHER ONLINE RATHER THAN NEXT TO EACH OTHER?"

I love the nostalgia of the couch co-op of what Halo did in the past, but I also know in the realities of the day with people's busy lives, it's not as easy to get everybody in the same physical place. It's one of the advantages that Xbox Live obviously offers.

Real translation: "I have no friends. Maybe you don't have friends either. So ONLINE BABY!" because gamers nowadays rarely have friends to play games with"

BULLSH*T. PEOPLE HAVE FRIENDS WHO WANT TO COME OVER THEIR HOUSE AND PLAY SOME SWEET DELICIOUS HALO ACTION PHIL SPENCER! MAYBE YOU ARE THE ONE WITHOUT FRIENDS BECAUSE YOU ARE TOO BUSY Jerking off to games giving yourself a first person shooter. you know what.. what I might say is going to get me Machoslapped in PokeCom, so I'll just say.. Phil Spencer, you have no friends. You don't know how friends work, and you love using your lame excuses.

(You guys like it when I rage? XD)

jappo

[b]Thank you for being you![/b]
    Years
  • My inner angryjoe and AlphaOmegaSin and my lust for supermurdering corporate idiots make me feel like I wanna fire some shotgun shells. How ironic is that the course I am taking up with is actually a business major (Human Resources).

So yeah the whole talk of things being only online now even for something as simple and nostalgic as Local Co-op has been something that I wanted to get out of my chest, and since thread poster even mentioned it.. lets rip and tear the corporate dungholes who think that Couch gaming is dead.

So.. here's our reference link:
    Why Halo 5 has no splitscreen

BULLCRAP! basically this PR crap and their "robustness" terminology translates into = "We want your money. We made a good game but we couldn't find a way to bring Co-op into the game. But don't worry! XBOX LIVE SOLVES EVERYTHING RIGHT?" XBOX LIVE IS SO ROBUST THAT PEOPLE WOULD RATHER INTERACT WITH EACH OTHER ONLINE RATHER THAN NEXT TO EACH OTHER?"

Real translation: "I have no friends. Maybe you don't have friends either. So ONLINE BABY!" because gamers nowadays rarely have friends to play games with"

BULLSH*T. PEOPLE HAVE FRIENDS WHO WANT TO COME OVER THEIR HOUSE AND PLAY SOME SWEET DELICIOUS HALO ACTION PHIL SPENCER! MAYBE YOU ARE THE ONE WITHOUT FRIENDS BECAUSE YOU ARE TOO BUSY Jerking off to games giving yourself a first person shooter. you know what.. what I might say is going to get me Machoslapped in PokeCom, so I'll just say.. Phil Spencer, you have no friends. You don't know how friends work, and you love using your lame excuses.

(You guys like it when I rage? XD)

I feel so much pain in this post, but also so much truth.

Yeah it is clear why they trew out splitscreen. During games like Halo 3, you could even go online with multiple people from the same console. Microsoft needed to make more money, so now if you want to play together, you will have to buy an xobx and a copy of Halo yourself. Katching! extra cash for Microsoft!

I have read those statements saying that the quality would be dropped, but honestly, I couldnt care less if the quality was less when playing splitscreen. No one cares about graphics when playing together. :)

I am truly saddened by it. I feel like the splitscreen in Halo was one of the best games for splitscreens, even better than Goldeneye. Just playing campaigns together, or going Versus against eachother. Good thing that it wasnt on steam, or else people would get heart attacks when saw how many hours we (my brothers and I) spent in Halo.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • And this is why Dynasty Warriors 8 is one of my favorite games right now, other than it being a lovely experience. Its fully playable split screen. The game, as least in our experience, was working well even with the occasional slowdowns. In fact, Dynasty 8's level design seem to cater to co-op very well with how the scenarios of each stage is sort of arranged.

The same can be said by the later Warriors Orochi titles. WO3 is definitely a ton more fun Co-op than it is solo.

Okay time to add more positivity for once. I can rip and tear 343 Studious a new arse hole if i wanted to but I'll reserve that for later.

Another memorable LAN Party experience = Diablo 2 LoD Lan party. Oh my god! Me and my friends.. I remember playing Diablo with a full 8 player group and it was quite glorious but considering that we didn't set any Loot rotation rules, one of my friends, playing a Palle decided to be a complete trollhole and just looted gear, even if it wasn't for a Pally XD. Sadly, we were only playing on Softcore that time since our group was too uncoordinated to play with permadeath rules. No no no no no.

Coach gaming experience = Resident Evil 5. We were staying at a hotel, with a not so good TV, but when the grownups decided to go out, so that us kids can stay while we wait for dinner, my friend decided to plug in his 360 even with a really bad TV. I was asking him, wouldn't it be bad to play 360 on a TV that's barely any good? He was like, "Don't know, Don't care". So he plugged in the 360, and he was an idiot who didn't get other games other than RE5, so we played RE5 the whole night. I was actually quite surprised that I ended up liking said game, since i never really played RE4 to the fullest, being a Gamecube exclusive during its time. I liked it. Even if I had to be player 2 (that mean's I get to play as African Waifu Sheva) out of owner courtesy (Owner = Player 1).

Back