• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How can I include ROM Hacking in my resume/CV?

thedarkdragon11

New World Pirate
Years
  • Hello! I just want to ask how to include ROM Hacking in my resume? A technology-related course graduate resume in particular... I want to include my knowledge about ROM hacking, even if it's just a basic to intermediate knowledge to make my resume somewhat unique...

Should I put the term "ROM Hacking and Spriting" or what?

Thanks a lot!

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    It still stands under "game development", regardless of whether you're using a ROM as a base, or creating something from scratch. It's worth mentioning that you have experience in creating your own gameplay, assets, and more. If you lead a team, you should state that you have experience in directing individuals in achieving a similar goal. Forget that it's a "Pokémon ROM Hack", think about the specifics of what you're doing and how they work in the real world.

I showed work that I did on my fan game to potential employers, and even in my university interview. It always went down well and was proof that I was interested and dedicated in the field. There's no reason why the same can't be done for ROM Hacking experience.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • It really depends on what kind of work/education you're going into.

If you're looking at the ever-so-lusted-for career in "game design," then it may be wise to include it (even if it's not your best on the list).

However, if you're going into a field that is more complex and programmatical, I would strongly disadvise including this in any sort of serious or highly-valued application. Why?

Well, for one… ROM hacking doesn't even begin to penetrate the depths of genuine programming and software development. The absolute best you'll see out of this hobby is the work of the Assembly Magicians, and of the Reverse Engineers, and that's about it. Even if you have some insanely popular hack or whatever it's not really worth a mention because it's not quite… relevant? I think that's the word.

On the other hand, there are plenty of like-minded hobbies out there that better grip the ideas contained in Computer Science – for instance, 3DS development (which is ever-difficult due to Nintendo's anti-piracy measures). A lot of that work is in its infancy due to how new the sect is, which means there's a lot of extremely low-level work to be done… if you're interested that is.

You may not be, and that's fine too. The bottom line is you need to gauge what you're doing and discern whether it's right to put on an app or résumé. I've explained a good bit here, I think I've covered most everything seeker up there didn't already go over. Hope I helped :)

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • I personally mentioned experience about asm hacking with the other programming languages I'm familiar with when I applied for a job in IT company where I work as of now. But I didn't mention anything else related to rom hacking then.

Nick has a good point here though. In case you're applying for a job where you think rom hacking has some relevance, you could mention doing it and also give some general idea, what you have been doing as a hobby that would make them consider you having some kind of advantage or experience above the other applicants.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Um... I wouldn't really suggest it...
    It's still unauthorized edit of Nintendo's property...
    I'm pretty sure Nintendo does not care anymore, but it's still not something you should use on CV...

Though, if you have experience with ASM, that is something completely different. In that case, you should put it that. Just without the ROM Hacking part.

Back