• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other FULL] The Elements [T] [OOC]

YellowGardevoir

"Intend to? I already have."
Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2015
    The Elements

GM'd by YellowGardevoir and mickeydog515

Prologue:
    Many eons ago, matter and energy lay strewn about the blackness without order. However, in this infinite darkness there was light, solitary and unknowable. Arch-eon, the primordial god, existed. He saw the latent potential in the void and began to shape it with his will. His first act of creation was the Elder Gods. Five separate beings, they had dominion over energy and light. For an unknowable amount of time these gods dwelt with Arch-eon, and gave order to the void. And so Arch-eon wished that there be things in the void. Things made of matter. With the assistance of the Elder Gods, Arch-eon created the Major Gods.Six of these there were, each with dominion over an element. These Major Gods went with Arch-eon to a certain place in the void. He spoke unto them, saying, in the language that existed before words, "This is the place where I would create a world." And so it was that the gods joined their separate powers and formed a magnificent world. As the powers of the Major Gods merged together, a new power was formed. These Fusion Gods were the spiritual children of the Major Gods, though all were given life with the spark of Arch-Eon. To each of the Fusion Gods was given a shared dominion from each of their parents, each with a unique result from each pairing.

There was great rejoicing among the Gods, for they saw that they had created something beautiful. But even among the Gods there was a flaw. The god of Darkness, M'Rak, felt that he could obtain greater power by eliminating one of his fellow gods. He prepared in secret strengthening his abilities beyond all of his brethren. But he desired more. He launched a surprise attack against his counterpart, Lucinda. The peaceful embodiment of light, M'Rak knew she was the weakest of the gods, and lacked the drive to control others that M'Rak possessed. He attacked Lucinda when she was alone, hoping to overpower her quickly enough to avoid detection by the other gods. But this was not a fight he could win.

Lucinda sent out a distress call the moment he attacked her. He had anticipated this, but what he had not prepared for was the strength of her defense. Her shield of light thwarted his efforts for longer than he had foreseen. The other gods, hearing the call from Lucinda, rushed to her side. They found her curled behind a shield of light, with M'Rak hammering away at her with pulses of darkness. The other gods detained M'Rak, swiftly if not easily. He was brought before Arch-Eon, who passed swift and immediate judgement. Eternal banishment.

M'Rak was outraged. "Am I not the strongest of your children?" he asked, using the language that existed before language. "Did I not magnify my gifts more than any other? Why then are you banishing me?"

"Because my greatest desire is for peace and life," responded Arch-Eon.

M'Rak was furious. He swore revenge as he left, vowing that he would eliminate all the gods, and take their power. The gods payed him little heed.

With a void in the governing elements, Archeon summoned Lucinda before him. He took her essence and, with it, formed a twin for her. Luna, the new goddess of Darkness, was nigh on identical to her sister, and the world entered an era of peace. But somewhere, M'Rak remains, and it is only a matter of time before he takes his revenge...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Many ages passed, and life appeared on the planet the gods had created. They were fascinated with its many forms, but they were most interested in a particular species. Man. The race of men was weak physically, outmatched by every other predator who competed for the large game that was humanity's main food source. But the race of men had two distinct advantages. One was the endurance of their bodies. Much energy was bestowed upon the race of men, and this energy they used to great affect. They could pursue prey for much larger distances and for much longer periods of time than any other predator, and their nomadic lifestyle was aided by their upright stance. They other great advantage they had was their mind. Human creativity and imagination was limitless, and they created tools, weapons, art, music, and more. And, from the depths of the human mind came their greatest strength of all: the ability to manipulate Aether, the divine power of Arch-Eon. Though they lacked direct powers of creation, strong-minded and powerfully-willed humans could manipulate the elements like the Elder and Major Gods and their children, though to lesser extents.

These Aether users were initially rare, a result of chance, but their innate strengths made them desirable partners and their strengths were passed down in their children. Occasionally a random person shows an affinity for this manipulation of energy, but for the most part only those who are descended from the original few have the capability.

Over time, the race of Men discovered ways to boost their Aether wielding potential. Aether flows through everything, and, like water over the landscape, it wears paths where it flows easiest. These pathways exist in individuals as well, and provide the source of Aether to manipulate. Using this pathway theory, humanity developed many different stances to increase the flow. Many different beliefs arose, each claiming that their style was the best. Groups of like-minded individuals came together and codified their beliefs, forming schools to teach their practices.

These schools exhibited a general animosity and, at times, fierce rivalry with one another. They held many competitions between the strongest members, each attempting to secure itself as the most powerful Style. War was common in those days.

Ages passed. The race of men grew weary of war. Cities began to sign peace treaties with one another, hoping to reduce the fighting between schools. They created a worldwide competition, with each school placing their strongest mages into teams. These teams traveled to each school, and fought against a group of mages picked by the respective school. Each school could only be challenged once by any one school, and the victors earned points toward the competition. The winning school was made officiator of the World Congress, and received additional delegates. This made the competition a major event in world politics, and a focus point of every school.
    You:
    You are a mage of any school, and a member of that school's Offense Team. You are proficient in your chosen magics, though the amount of time you have been a member is up to you. Each school has a selection process, which will be discussed under the Locations section. The event begins with a tournament, and the members of each school's Offense Team participate. Your characters will take place in the tournament, and in the events following. If you have any questions, let one of us know!
    Rules:
    • Basic Pokecommunity and Roleplay Rules apply, and can be found here. Failure to comply to these will result in the removal from the RP.
    • Powerplaying and Godmodding have the potential to be greatly misused, especially in this RP. If you want to do something, ask! We're nice guys.
    • Joint posts are fine, but ensure the person you're jointing with knows about it…
    • Combat results should be determined in the OOC thread before combat. Discuss the most likely results based on each other's character. If necessary, one of the GMs will randomly determine the victor. This is also a general option if neither party wishes to debate on a victor.
    • This RP will be done in chapter format. A goal will be given at the beginning of each chapter, and each character should attempt to fulfil the objective. If a chapter is taking too long, GMs retain the right to manipulate events so that the story progresses.
    • Romance and violence are allowed, but let's keep it PG-13. This is rated T, after all.
    • When in doubt, ask! Once again, this RP is being GMed by YellowGardevoir and mickeydog515.

SU:
    Name:
    Element(s) (Allowed one Combination and one additional Element [3 Elements total.] List in order of proficiency. Only one of the Force Triad, and having Light and Dark excludes you from having a third):
    Fighting Style (Weapons, "Signature" Attacks):
    Appearance (Pictures Allowed):
    Personality (At least one paragraph):
    History (At least two paragraphs):

Accepted Characters:
    We have room for 12 characters, including mickeydog and myself. Please note that only two RP'rs can be from any one School. This is to promote diversity among characters.
    Shen Mozetomei from the School of the Elusive Path as controlled by mickeydog515
    Renee Shostoni from the School of Unbound Thought as controlled by mickeydog515
    Jade Hornbeam from the School of the People's Magic as controlled by YellowGardevoir
    Atka Ataciara from the School of the Brittle Edge as controlled by YellowGardevoir
    Trevor Redquill from the School of the Focused Mind as controlled by Godzil
    Gujen Krao from the School of Inevitable Perfection as controlled by Bardothren
    Sennis Nikasura from the School of Artistic Combat as controlled by Bardothren
    Aralon from the School of Dragon's Might as controlled by pichuwickham
    Kaede Yagami from the School of the Restrained Fist as controlled by catbus176
    RESERVED-HIDDEN WAY: Classical Insect
    Angelos "Angel" Kai Marlowe from the School of the Hidden Way as controlled by Kikpanther
    RESERVED-PEOPLE'S MAGIC: Zatanna
    Magic:
    All magic results from an ability called Aetherforming. Aether is an invisible material that saturates the entire universe, and can be manipulated if one possesses the ability. Most humans posses this ability, which uses their will, imagination, emotions, and personal energy to shape the Aether into usable forms. It can become a potent skill if mastered, allowing mages to create weapons, structures, and even constructs out of the Aether around them. Each element uses this differently, and a specialization is typically denoted by replacing the word Aether with the name of the element being shaped (i.e. aquaforming)

Basic Elements
    Spoiler:
    Combination Elements
    Spoiler:
    Non-Combining Elements
    Spoiler:

Schools:
    Spoiler:

Locations:
    This section will be added to as locations are visited. To start off, a brief description of the cities that contain the schools are given initially.
    Spoiler:

Technology:
    Think Renaissance-level. But with magic. Horses are the primary means of travel outside of magic, and many magiengineers are looking for an alternative that can be used by the masses. Charged Aether can be stored in gemstones and metal substances, with purer materials achieving better results. Magitech is a growing field of research and development, and new discoveries are made every day. Basically, if there's any question, ask.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We are now taking Reservations and SUs. If reserving, please include what School you plan on being a part of, as only two people can be part of any one School. This is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Let's have a great time, everyone!

Special thanks to The Last Sentinel who we blatantly stole from graciously gave the template for this post.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2015
    Hello all, my name is mickeydog515, and I'm one of the GMs of this RP along with YellowGardevoir.
    This is admittedly my first ever RP, so I will probably get things wrong here and there, or make a few mistakes. If I do end up screwing something up, feel free to let me know, and I'll correct it as soon as possible.

The story that is the bases for this RP is one that originally started as a novel me and Gard were co-writing together, him doing most of the story work, while I came up with and wrote information pages most of the mechanics that govern our world that we created, like locations, magic, combat rules, ect. That being said, The elements of magic that are available in our world are entirely of my creation, so if you have any questions pertaining to any of the magics, their origin, or what kind of abilities someone could wield with them feel free to ask, i'd be more then happy to fill you in. The schools on the other hand, are Gard's creations so please throw those questions at him.

I hope this becomes a successful RP and I can't wait to see where you guys will take this story, but please remember, it's my first time so go easy on me, ok?

Name: Shen Mozetomei
    School: School of the Elusive Path
    Element(s): Storm (Primary), Lightning (Secondary), Wind (Tertiary), Earth (Quaternary)
    Fighting Style (Weapons, "Signature" Attacks): Shen carries a spear in his right hand and lightning in his left. He often uses his spear as a lightning rod, drawing electricity into it before smashing it into his foes. He's light on his feet and prefers to dodge attacks rather then put up a defense. While not having the physical strength of some other mages, he possesses an exceptional connection to Aether, and can easily convert this into massive amounts of lightning. While he was studying Lightning magic he found that tuning charges between objects can cause them to attract or repel each other. He perfected this technique, after finding that a touch of earth magic can amplify the pull, and uses to retrieve thrown projectiles from a distance, or help throw them. He is unable to move other people's weapons however, due to his limited practice in earth magic. He is also an accomplished archer, having picked it up readily at a young age. While Shen thinks of archery as more of a fun pastime, rather then a useful means of combat, he still uses the tactics learned from practice to make his deadly bolts of lightning all the more accurate. On rare occasions, however, he is more than capable of pulling out a small, folding compound bow to let loose a storm of electrified arrows down on unsuspecting foes.
    Appearance (Pictures Allowed):
    Spoiler:

Shen is of medium height and is very skinny. He generally wears light clothes of subdued colors, and his hair's always a bit of a wreck, unless he cuts it very short. Which he has been known to do.
    Personality (At least one paragraph):
    Shen is intelligent and highly curious about the world around him. This curiosity can occasionally get the best of him, and he can become obsessive if truly fascinated. This questioning mentality also leaves him slightly gullible, as he doesn't often see that not everyone is willing to divulge all information completely truthfully. He is cautious and always tries to have an optimal course of action, though if this plan fails or if it is criticized too harshly he can overreact, becoming obstinate and difficult. Shen is generally friendly and fiercely loyal to his friends, but can have difficulty making them. Not everyone understands his inquisitive ways, but those who share his passions are often carried along by his enthusiasm. Although outgoing and open towards friends and family, Shen is extremely nervous and awkward when interacting with those he's unfamiliar with. While extremely interested in new information, he also gets very uncomfortable in unfamiliar areas or in trying new things and is easily flustered when something is imposed on him unexpectedly. He will stick to a very organized and predictable pattern, both in life and battle, and will often push away new ideas unless he has a prior interest in them. He is also very anxious and antsy, and has a very hard time standing still. Usually he is found toying with something in his fingers, like his shirt or any other trinket he takes a liking to. This is amplified if he is put in an unfamiliar situation or with talking to a new person unless he can find a common connection with them. His preferred way for removing anxiety and nervousness is escaping to the one place he knows perfectly, his mind. He often gets lost deep in thought, thinking about something that's on his mind, planning what he will do during the day, or simply daydreaming. Because of this he also has the tendency to lose focus of the world around him and miss information or events going on until someone draws his attention. His social anxiety also leads to a general dislike for attention for fear he will look like a fool to others. If the attention is from a person he trusts or is praise he will accept it greedily and may instantly believe what the person says or start to boast and brag about it, whether or not he realizes it.
    History (At least two paragraphs):
    Shen was found abandoned by an oasis near the School of the Elusive Path. He was raised by the Grandmaster of the school, a stocky, no-nonsense man. Whatever his personality, the Grandmaster was kind and generous to him, and was the only father figure Shen had growing up. When it was discovered that Shen had talent with magic, the Grandmaster taught him in his personal style of Storm magic, which Shen picked up easily. His spear and bow were made for him by a magitech smith in the school, who imbibed them with Shen's personal Aether signature. Not only does this make them much easier to channel Aether through, they are also tied to his will, allowing him to summon them to his side, though only from within a distance of about six feet.

Shen is the newest member of Elusive Path's Offense Team, and has yet to compete in the worldwide competition. He did not have a huge number of friends growing up, between his eccentricity and his powerful father. On the other hand, he was not bullied, and has several close friends in the school. He's eager to participate in the competition, and has a great desire to see the world.

Last edited:

YellowGardevoir

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2015

Welcome to The Elements! We've got a vaguely JRPG-esque RP, and I hope we all have a great time! To start things off, here's my character, Jade!
    Jade Hornbeam

I may not be the best mage. Heck, I'm not even a very good person. But I know what I'm doing, alright? Just roll with it.
    cfa833252736a4d491a9a4f2d1ee9583.jpg
    School: School of the People's Magic
    Element(s): Psychic (Primary), No other specialty, has basic proficiency with the Basic Elements.
    Fighting Style: Jade generally fights using psychic constructs, which are created and sustained with his mind. Generally in the form of a sword, he can also form barriers and other objects. These objects appear as purple-black ghosts of the object, and take a good deal of energy to sustain. He is an adept swordsman, but his magic skills are somewhat lacking. He is horrible at external Psychic magic, (mind reading, mind control, ect.), and lacks the meditative abilities that usually empower a Psychic mage. Because of this, he opts towards using his constructs and limited elemental magics to get close to a foe and eliminate them before they have time to overpower him magically.
    Appearance:
    Jade is tall, and of medium build, with brown hair and eyes. He doesn't consider himself as super attractive or super ugly, and he's fine with that. Tends to dress in a variety of clothes, a result of growing up in the diverse Aldhaven.
    Personality: Jade is analytic and views himself as intelligent. He's blunt and honest, and can occasionally appear as uncaring. It's not that he doesn't care, he just has too much going on internally to worry about someone else's problems. Jade is sarcastic and abrasive, and if he doesn't like you, you'll know, whether by withering glares or him just telling you straight out. Outwardly calm, Jade has lots of internal anxieties, and worries about pretty much everything. Social anxiety is his greatest demon, and unless a connection is made quickly or for him, he'll almost never interact with anyone. Jade bores easily when disinterested, and is a bit lazy. He knows all of his negatives (he agonizes over them), but he's not the kind of person to embrace change.
    History: Jade grew up in a middle-class Aldhaven family. The eldest of five children, his parent's time, money, and attention was often on someone else. At fifteen years old, he joined the School of the People's Magic, and began learning the arcane ways. He had always been drawn to the fighters that formed the legendary Offense Team, and that was his goal from day one at the school. His dreams were turned on their head when he discovered that he wasn't that good at magic. This made his odds of getting onto the team small, and, disheartened, he left the school for a time and traveled to other cities, hoping to find something he was good at.

While on his own, he discovered his proficiency with psychogenesis, that is, the ability to make objects with his mind. Returning to the school, he learned from the best swordsmen the School could offer, and quickly mastered the blade. With his new technique, he quickly rose in popularity and earned recognition from the school. One favorable tournament later, he was a member of the Offense Team. This will be his third competition. Neither of his previous competitions were victories, and the School has put major pressure on the Offense Team to do well. Jade just hopes he can fulfill his orders...

Alright, that's my SU! Let's make this a great RP!
    Note: I will be adding a list of some basic abilities for each element, just to give some ideas. Will be done ASAP, but maybe not tonight.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Magic game! Would you kindly reserve me a spot? I'd like to go the School of the Focused Mind.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2015
    I would like a spot in this.

Aralon
    Around 20 | Male | School of Dragon's Might

pictures-originals-2013-Fantasy__039377_.jpg

Elements

Energy (Fire+Lightning) & Psychic​

Fighting Style
    Aralon is a reveler in power. Skilled in the art of the blade, he carries a short sword on his hip, though he prefers not to get close enough to use it. He was trained by the masters of Drakken Keep, and his style resembles that of European knights. He dislikes armor and shields, though he has basic proficiency with both. He trains constantly and is physically strong, but is not fleet of foot. He is skilled at pivoting and moving short distances quickly, but would lose to an experienced runner in a footrace.

Magically, Aralon is nothing if not powerful. The beams and blasts of Energy magic forces opponents to be on their toes, as the overwhelming force of Aralon's attacks can quickly defeat his enemies. However, while Aralon has access to large amounts of Aether, his magic burns through it at an extraordinary rate. Defensive foes, if they manage to survive the initial onslaught, will find a much less threatening, though no less aggressive, opponent.

As a last resort, Aralon has trained in Psychic magic. Though far from a master, his Psychic magic can overwhelm a weaker mind and prevent him from moving or channeling Aether. With only basic proficiency, the range of this mental attack is lacking, and he lacks the mental dueling power typical of Psychic mages.​

Personality
    Aralon is deeply scarred as a result of his tragic past, and lashes out because of it. Though intelligent and generally a rational person, he takes offense easily. A great hater of bullies, Aralon will defend those he views as in need, and has made a vow that no innocent lives will be destroyed if he can help it. Many have said that his personality would suit him better at the School of Unbound Thought, but Aralon dislikes the idea of loosing control of himself so completely. Secretly, he fears failure and defeat more than any other outcome, and would almost rather die than admit defeat. However, he has sworn to his lord that he would preserve his own life, but he will never surrender. Total defeat is the only way to stop him once he gets his mind on something.

History
    Aralon's parents were farmers, eking out an existence on the vast western plains. They were not rich, but they were kind to Aralon, and his future seemed bright. He had shown skill with Fire magic, and his parents were optimistic about his chances of joining the School of Dragon's Might, which was relatively close by. However, his happy future was changed in one fateful night.

Aralon's father had grown behind on his tributes to the nearby lord. The lord sent his tax collector, a formidable Nature mage of extreme skill, and had him demand the money his father owed. When Aralon's father protested, saying that the harvest had been small and money scarce, the Nature mage executed Aralon's mother. When his father, in a rage, had tried to strike out at the tax collector, the mage morphed into a massive black bear. He struck Aralon's father dead with a single swipe from his massive paws.

Aralon remembers little of the events that occurred afterward, but one thing remains certain. He destroyed everything. His farm, his parents' bodies, the tax collector. Everything was annihilated, and the fire spread to the surrounding plains, scorching a massive swath of the territory before mages from Dragon's Might were able to extinguish it. They found the boy, the sole survivor of the catastrophe, and brought him before the Dragon, who took him in on one condition. Aralon would be his secret weapon.

This will be the first competition of it's kind Aralon has competed in, but his masters are optimistic. With his strength, there might be none who could stand in his way...

Edit: Finished my SU. Sorry if it looked bad for a while, it closed midway through editing it and I wasn't in the mood to redo it.

Last edited:

YellowGardevoir

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2015
    Godzil, pichuwickham, your reservations have been noted. Let's see some great SUs

Bardothren, I like your style. Elderly characters are a rarity in most RPs. I can tell Jade is gonna have a hard time defeating Gujen. Hope they never have to fight! Your SU is accepted.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2020
    I would like a spot in this please.
    Name: Kaede Yagami

Elements: Crystal(Ice,Earth) and Water

School: School of the Restrained Fist

Fighting Style: Kaede mainly fights with ice and earth, which he is masterful at, but if that doesn't work he will use his trump card which is to coat himself in diamond skin, making him invulnerable to most forms of damage and increasing his physical strength. Unfortunately it weakens his magical abilities, to avoid this Kaede carries around gems which he has imbued with some magical properties such as creating walls of crystal or ice, and making a crystal mirror that reflects most long range magic.

Personality: Kaede is hasty, self indulgent, cocky and kind of lazy. He will do anything to improve his self interest as long as it doesn't take too much time or effort. These are usually thought of as flaws but Kaede doesn't really mind/care. When he isn't doing something self indulgent he is napping and restoring energy for his next fight. Usually keeping to himself because napping is a one person activity, Kaede has few friends especially since his laziness and hastiness clash with most of the personality types of his classmates. He lags behind in classroom activities but when it comes to the battle field Kaede is unmatched where all of his stored up energy is unleashed.

History: From a young age, Kaede has been masterful at magic. His parents discovered him making ice and rock formations early in his life. As soon as he saw that, Kaede's father decided to train Kaede in the way of the restrained fist. Kaede's father is a world renowned tournament winner and Dean at the school of the restrained fist. Being taught the the art of patience from a young age, Kaede would often struggle under his fathers discipline and would constantly be afraid of not being able to measure up to his fathers greatness. The only person Kaede could be solaced by was his mother, who is hasty,lazy and nurturing(as they say opposites attract). Kaede's father was furious with him being lazy and hasty during their exercises and sent him away to the school of the Restrained fist. Although he clashed with the school because he does not agree with their teaching, Kaede still felt drawn to the Offense team because of his affinity for magic and the prospect of travelling to different countries and like minded people. Kaede soon became the offense teams best magician having an adept control of ice, earth and being a master of crystal magic so much so that he created a special technique he dubs, Diamond skin. Right now Kaede is resting until the tournament which he is eagerly awaiting.
    Appearance
    2056975_1318200041653.82res_360_300.jpg

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2015
    Pichuwickum, if your character likes to, and has the capability of causing explosions, you might want to consider combining fire and lightning into energy, as that is basically what it is, channeling large amounts of energy into beams, waves and explosions. Also mixing fire and lightning causes explosions often times anyways.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I would like to place a reservation, but first I have a comment to make.

I use a darker skin so my default text color is white, and your background color for CSS is white... that makes a white background + white text = I can't read your roleplay without quoting it. So, could you either take out the "background-color: #ffffff" or add a (black) color tag to your text?

I'd like a reservation for a character from the School of the Hidden Way.

YellowGardevoir

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2015
    Added a black tag. Thanks for pointing this out, Classical Insect. Also, your reservation has been noted. Welcome to the group!

Kikpanther

Not a beginner that's for sure
    Years
  • Hey! I'd like to make a reservation also. This RP looks like just what I've been waiting for (and thankfully showing up beginning of summer).

I'm really torn between Elusive Path and Hidden Way. They both seem applicable for the idea of a character who prefers pounding away at their opponents with brute strength than anything really tactical. That and I very much see them very much against the idea of ever losing. It'd be great if you guys could provide some suggestions, but until then I think I'll go with Hidden Way since it seems like I could do a bit of both with them (though I don't think my character would be a big smokescreens user). I considered Dragon's Might but I don't think my character would be above cheating and that might be a problem for them. (Though it would help to know what exactly constitutes as cheating in this world).

Under the spoiler is the idea right now, but I might change proficiency and triad. (If not Gravity then Kenetic).

Spoiler:

Last edited:

YellowGardevoir

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2015
    pichuwickham, your updated SU is accepted.

Kikpanther, your reservation has been noted. As for your character, I'm assuming you want a high-speed lockdown style mage? I think either School would work well, the bigger question is what you want your backstory to be. Hidden Way is a bit... hostile. They aren't the friendliest place to learn, but they would probably enhance your style. Elusive Path is much more forgiving, but that would probably be a speed over power route to take. Hope this helped.

EDIT: Cheating would be something like blackmailing to win a fight, or subterfuge tactics. Those are the kinds of things Dragon's Might looks down on.

Kikpanther

Years
  • In that case I don't think I'll be going with Hidden Way.

I was definitely imagining a mage with devastating attack power. They would be more fast in the way that they can manipulate their air and ice to move quickly but they themselves aren't (I can imagine them preferring to fight in one spot with a mix of (mostly) long-range and (some) short-range attacks and then short-range defenses). Definitely a strategy of beating an opponent back and using enough power so they don't get a chance to come in for an attack (so not really specializing in/needing many short-range tactics) and overwhelming them with power (I guess if you want it as a kind of strategy, maybe think of something that's geared around quickly weakening opponents (just from battle damage or going for body parts they need (ex: fast opponent, go for the legs)). Most defensive moves would probably just be cleverly made offensive moves (like a vortex of wind/ice that would hurt an opponent if they tried to go through it or that you could use to make attacks).

To sum it up it'd be like an "offense is the best defense" kind of character. So just based on that I think changing it to Dragon's Might would be the better option (if anything I said can work for the RP that is).

Also to make a lengthy post longer: Does the gravity attribute let you redirect attacks (I'm thinking like if someone shot fire at you or something, not like a punch or kick) or could kinetic do it instead possibly?

YellowGardevoir

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2015
    The "best" form of defense would be directly manipulating the attack based on it's individual element, but obviously that leads to problems if you are less skilled at manipulating the element than your opponent. Kinetic deals with motion, while gravity is more about directed force. I guess the major difference would be that a kinetic spell would deflect/change the direction of an attack, and works better with a specific "target" to manipulate, while gravity affects everything. The biggest issue with gravity is the amount of energy it takes and that you need a "focus Point" for the new source of gravitation. So gravity is more roundabout way but more easily applied way of doing it, if you're looking at it purely in terms of manipulating attacks. An alternative is Psychic magic, which can make barriers and force fields. The issue here is the concentration required to maintain them, in addition to the energy. I hope this helps, mickey isn't around and he's more the brains of the operation when it comes to mechanics xD.

And yeah, you can go for Dragon's Might if you want. We still have a free slot for them open.

Kikpanther

Years
  • Yeah I'll be going with Dragon's Might instead of the other two.

Maybe when Mickey's around and they can give more in-depth explanations (or comparisons) then I can better choose. I don't want Psychic just because it doesn't fit the fighting style I imagine my character having and I don't think it fits the personality either. It's really between Gravity and Kinetic so if Mickey can give a more in-depth look (or if I think about it so long I choose myself) it'll be an easy pick and I can make whatever edits I have to.

Thanks for your help so far! ^_^

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2015
    Hello, sorry I couldn't answer your questions sooner kik, I've been busy with family matters for most of the day today. As for the kind of magic your looking for, I would recommend that you switch Ice for Water if your going for a kinda control/lockdown battle style, as water and air combine to make pressure, which is a magic specifically focused on controlling flow. In the initial creation of the story this RP is based on, I came up with abilities for characters to use, and pressure mages had access to the ability to control the flow of not only water and air, but aether itself. This allowed them to direct spells around themselves as well as redirect spells. they could also use pressure to crush foes or hold them in place. Gravity is able to do this for physical objects, basically anything that can be affected by gravity normally, but some magics, namely air, fire and lightning will not be affected, and like Gard said, will require a lot of concentration and power. Kinetic, on the other hand, would similarly only provide the ability to direct or change the course of physical magics, like earth and ice, but only of to one side, not around you. Kinetic is also able to both speed up and slow down projectiles, but only linearly. Going for straight power, though at any cost, is more suited to magics like energy, lava, fire, lightning, and earth, and also happens to be the main belief of the School of Unbound Thought, so you may want to look at that school.

On the side note of Cheating, the most important rule we dictated in the story for the tournament was that in a tournament sanctioned arena, combatants may not make any attempt what-so-ever to kill each other, and any attempt to do so, successful or not, will result in a reversal of match results and personal punishments are put in place. Accidents, however, have occurred in the past...

YellowGardevoir

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2015
    To go along with what mickey just said, I will be collecting the abilities we made (like the Aether manipulation of Pressure and the Psychic barriers) and putting them into the opening document. Many of our descriptions are limited and don't describe the full range of things you can do with the element. However, that won't be done until I get an extended period of free time. I'm aiming for tomorrow, but no promises :(

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    While, we're on the subject of answering questions... I have a few.

When a mage has a combination such as Crystal, does this mean they can only use crystal-based attacks? Or can they still use the individual basic elements, in this case, ice and ground?

Also, since we're describing the history and that involves the Schools. Do you mind if we make up characters that are the head of that "school"? Or how does the school work? Is there a leader? Ranking system? I saw on one SU a Grandmaster of sorts, do all Schools have one?

p.s Yellow, your SU has the same problem as the original post. White text + white background, just to let you know.

Kikpanther

Years
  • Ah, you're fine! You answered pretty quickly I think (or I just don't have a great sense of time o.o).

What you wrote down is really helpful but has gotten me stuck in choosing again. I think I'll switch Ice to Water, but I don't think I'll change the elements more than that. Main reason being I got really excited about having a character with Air and the second reason that I'm just not up to doing elements like Fire, Lightning, and Earth even though they are the better choices for a character like this. Still, wind can be pretty devastating on its own, so maybe I'll find a way to make up for it?

And Pressure sounds like what I was looking for, but if Pressure can hold opponents down then there probably isn't as much as a need for Gravity is there? Especially since that's what I planned on using it for. Kinetic might be a better option in that case, though I'm not sure about having a fast character (though the kinetic blasts would hurt to help). I could go with Psychic too but I think it'd only be used for shields than anything else.

On the note of cheating I said no to Hidden Way just because the idea for my character is very much someone who thinks true victory is victory through battle, though that doesn't necessarily mean following any specific guidelines. As long as you're fighting someone at their full strength. I didn't put the idea past them to target (see: break) the legs of someone who's very fast if it becomes problematic for them (or really any use of any body part that becomes an obstacle on their path to victory). I think purposefully trying to attack and break someone's arm might be considered cheating. They're also really against people who run from battle and would gladly attack someone while they were fleeing. If those don't count as cheating: Awesome. If they do, is it possible to have my character start off at Unbound Thought and then go to Hidden Way later? Or no?

And thanks again! (And sorry for all the questions. <_>)

Edit: Putting up a more detailed list of abilities would be awesome, Yellow! Can't wait to see that later. I was wondering what exactly what kind of combinations you could do with water or air (like making mist or creating a very humid battle field, but that might be better for Fire+Water?)

Last edited:
    Back