• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How many shinny pokemon have you encountered?

IggyKoopa

#429: magical pokémon
Years
  • I've found a Geodude (Pearl version), which I caught, and a Weezing (SoulSilver)... in the Safari Zone. That one got away from me ;~;

I also got a shiny Cresselia through a trade and a shiny Pangoro through Wonder Trade, but they weren't real encounters so I say they don't count.

Benjamin Kuli

Mahagon
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2022
    Only three: A shiny Drowzee in Silver (goddamn the R/S/E that you cannot transfer it to those games), a Wingull in Emerald, and a shiny Pikachu one of my friends have.

Years
  • I've come across 6 shinies, 3 of which I've caught. The ones that I didn't get were Teddiursa in Gold, Paras in Fire Red's Safari Zone, and the Weedle that the old man teaches you how to catch in Fire Red (yes, that one still haunts me to this day, even if it was just a Weedle).

The 3 I managed to snag were a Shroomish in Sapphire (which I didn't even realize was shiny until years later), a Heracross in one of the 3rd gen Safari Zones (can't remember which off the top of my head), and a Ducklett on White.

Controversy

Drink The Kool-Aid
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2015
    I've only encountered three shiny Pokemon in all my years of playing. A shiny Haunter encountered randomly and a Corphish and Corsola through chain fishing. All in the same day too

Shiny Mega Gengar is so badass, I'm so glad I managed to catch it

Years
  • Here's how many shinies I ran into in individual games, and what Pokemon they were:

Ruby: 1 (Duskull)
    Sapphire: 1 (Lotad)
    Diamond: 3 (Graveler, Budew, Unown-U)
    SoulSilver: 2 (Graveler, Farfetch'd, if the Red Gyarados is not counted)
    Black: 2 (Boldore, Drilbur)
    X: 7 (Drifloon, Clauncher, Remoraid, Miltank, Woobat, Quagsire, Flabébe)

I caught all except the Boldore in Black and the Lotad in Sapphire. It's funny how on two occasions I encountered a shiny Graveler, and thank god it didn't explode on me when I was catching it. The Boldore would have been nice because I like the blue crystals, but accidentally ran from it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2014
    Only 2 shinies showed in my front during 7 years of Pokemon gaming. They are, as it follows:

A Bidoof in Platinum.
    A Vullaby in Black 2.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    Not counting the red Gyarados and the shiny Dratini you get in White 2

GSC:
    * Weepinbell
    * Spearow
    * Unown

RSE:
    * Sharpedo (the only time I did not want to get a crit; but it happened anyway...)
    * Tentacool (unfortunately a ROM)

DPPtHGSS:
    * none

BW/2:
    * none

XY:
    * Dwebble (Glittering Cave, if I recall correctly; unfortunately I traded it in the GTS...)
    * Tangela (FS)
    * Spheal (FS)
    * Ralts (fetched one on the GTS)
    * Gible (accidentally hatched one while I was breeding for 6 perfect IVs; unfortunately it only has 4...)

The save file on my Gold cardridge got corrupted, which means right now I only have the ones on my X cardridge left.

Years
  • Encountered..? I guess 20 max. Doesn't seem like much but I know for some others that'd be a ton. xD;;; Half or so of those were from chaining in D/P/Pt. Owning-wise I've about 60 but at least 90% of those were given to me by friends.

Some I recall encountering and capturing are Hawlucha, Sandshrew, Pichu, Shinx, Whismur, Rattata, Wurmple, Foongus, and others. BD

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 26, 2023
    I have literally only encountered 2 shinies in all of my Pokemon experiences.

My first EVER shiny was a Snorunt. I would've been more excited except that it's a male. Shiny Froslass > Shiny Glalie in my opinion, but eh. Still something special about that first shiny.

My second was a shiny Charmeleon which I actually purposely sought out as a gift for my fiance. He constantly talked about how much he loved shiny Charizard, so I stayed up all night and hunted him one. I literally told myself "Okay, three more, and then bedtime."

The very next one was shiny. So naturally, I stayed up another hour and a half to train and collect the TMs I needed to teach it. So very worth it though, even if it was the night before my first day of senior year. T-T

CJoE

スマイルは無料で? ?? �� �� ��
    Years
  • Hurm.... I have 5 shinies so far...just found one just now..a shiny absol (^-^) but i trade my shiny torkoal to my friend...i really love that one but i got a shiny gyarados instead...hehe~

Years

Poochyena x1
    Electrike x6
    Beldum x9
    Metagross x1

All on my Pokemon Platinum via Shiny Chaining. I haven't been doing it for too long, but I've got most of what I wanted till now.

Apparently I am very good at it.

Years
  • Hurm.... I have 5 shinies so far...just found one just now..a shiny absol (^-^) but i trade my shiny torkoal to my friend...i really love that one but i got a shiny gyarados instead...hehe~

Ah that's perfect, I found a shiny Absol in my second X version in a Mono-Color challenge I was doing then, it was really neat to find, I was like "ah i'm gonna go back to Lumiose City to give my character a new hairdo" and then BAM, a shiny. So cool ^^

Sirfetch’d

I really don't know haha. I've probably encountered about 30 or so over my entire time of playing Pokemon. Most were random encounters or either hatched using the Masuda Method. The others were either from soft resets or normal breeding surprises. I must have a thing though for shiny Nidorans as I once encountered 2 in a row and 4 overall!

La Espada

Captain Ressentiment
    Years
  • I don't have an exact number after all of these years...I'd say somewhere between 20-30. My most recent was a Gyarados I chain fished in Y.

Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2019
    yes! Finally my first shiny encounter

Oddish level 9 though, but still a shiny!

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2014
    I've only ever got one shiny (not counting that red gyrados from the lake of rage) and it was a tentacruel in Fire Red. Never have I treasured a tentacruel so much.

Years
  • I have encountered 2 completely random shinies. The first one was in Platinum. I let my cousin start an account on Platinum, and he had just gotten to Hearthome City. Now, whenever we're not under the same roof, I'll occasionally do some training on his account. So, that is what I did. I was focused on training his Togepi, considering that was his weakest party member. It was trained to the level it learns Metronome, so I decided to train it in battles where all I used was Metronome. So, I took it to Route 208, and the first thing I encounter is a Roselia. Togepi doesn't get much luck from Metronome, and the Roselia eventually knocks Togepi out. That's fine, because I just bring in Monferno, which easily wins the battle. Then, I decide to train Monferno up to Lv. 23. So, I run around in the grass for a bit, and there's an encounter. It's the shadow of a Bibarel, but, then it sparkles! I just encountered a shiny Bibarel. I throw a Poke Ball at it right away, 'cause I don't want to take any chances. The Poke Ball fails. So then, I throw another Poke Ball at it, and that works! I just caught a shiny, so what should I name it? I decide to name it MR. SIR, just because I can. Then I realize something - it's female. So, I run all the way to Eterna City, and I rename it MRS. MAM. After that, I deposit all of my other party members in the PC, because I want to attempt to do a Bibarel solo run! And, I almost did. Almost. Giratina got knocked out in four hits, and I survived Volkner. But, MRS. MAM was finally knocked out by Flint's Lv. 57 Magmortar, which used Thunderbolt while it had less than half of it's health left. Afterwards, I went through the league again, for fun, and I beat Flint and Lucian. But, MRS. MAM never beat Cynthia, and I eventually gave up on it, and transferred MRS. MAM down to Black 2. MRS. MAM has grown from Lv. 20 to Lv. 89.

The second one was in Pokemon SoulSilver. I started a SoulSilver Nuzocke, in which my second team member was Geodude. That Geodude lasted all the way through the battle with Lance, eventually becoming a Lv. 48 Golem. But, after getting through Victory Road, my team was very underleveled, only being around Lv. 41. So, I trained and trained and trained in Victory Road. I made it my goal to get all of my Pokemon up one level every single day until they were all Lv. 48. Training was really boring the first 4 days. But, the 5th day, I decided to bring SoulSilver to school, and train at lunch. So, that is what I did. Then, it happened. A golden Graveler appeared! I showed this to all my friends, and I shook one of my friends so much that he spilled pudding on his jacket. Now, keep in mind that this Graveler knew Self-Destruct. So, I threw an Ultra Ball, praying I would catch it before it got the chance to blow up. And, thank goodness, I caught it. The Golem that was already in my team was named Geogirl, so I had to name the shiny Graveler Geoguy. The friend whose DS I caught it on let me borrow his DS to evolve my new shiny. So, yeah, I had a shiny, Lv. 32 Golem. I didn't want to do any extra training, so I kept it in the PC. After I beat Lance, I left SoulSilver for awhile. I didn't transfer any of the Pokemon on that account to Black 2. When I did come back to SoulSilver, all I remembered was that I beat Lance, and there wasn't much left to do. So, I deleted the account completely forgetting about the shiny Golem that was on there. Geoguy was only ever Lv. 32.

Thank you for reading User 101's Shiny Encounters: The Book!

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2015
    I have encountered three shinies. - Never caught any.
    My first shiny was a kingler, that I thought 'wow what an odd colored kingler' and right as I watched the hp drain away, I realized 'crap. That's a shiny'
    I saw a shiny lapras, but it was such a low level compared to all my party pokemon, any hit would KO it, and I used all my pokeballs failing to catch it.
    I ended up killing it sadly =(

A mareep was the most recent shiny I saw - I was levelgrinding in a grassy area, and my thumb tapped into killing it before my brain registered that it was shiny. TAT

Back