• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should 'creationism' be taught in school?

Should 'creationism' / 'intelligent design' be taught alongside evolution?

• Yes [I am religious]

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • No [I am religious]

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Yes [I am atheist/agnostic]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No [I am atheist/agnostic]

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Undecided [I never know what's going on]

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    http://fora.tv/2009/10/07/Richard_D...ns_Compares_Creationists_to_Holocaust_Deniers

I just watched that fascinating speech by Richard Dawkins about the problems biology teachers face today by being asked to teach creationism or having the theory of evolution removed from their text books.

Thoughts?

EDIT: And just a bit more on the video, I thought it was a brilliant comparison to question whether or not Holocaust deniers should be given a spot in our text books as well; a comparable situation in his eyes and mine.

Years
  • As a Christian myself, I don't think it's necessary to teach our doctrines in schools, particularly public ones. Religious ideal's should be taught by the churches (or other institution of religion) or from one's own reading of religious texts. Forcing them on someone else won't change their minds, especially on a topic like evolution.
    I think a "this lesson isn't intended to support atheism, and anyone is entitled to their own beliefs" prior to a lesson should suffice.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    No, creationism should absolutely not be taught in schools. Why teach lies to children?

Religion is one of the things that really annoys me about America. Everyone takes it so seriously. Back in England, if someone suggested that creationism be taught in schools to the House of Commons, they'd get laughed out of the building. That's how it should be.

There is no doubt in my mind that God does not exist.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Why teach lies to children?

That's like mandating that fairytales must be taught in school :O
    I have to say that the blunt way in which you phrase your statement is very insulting to most Monotheistic and Polytheistic religions.

Anyway, in Malaysia, Creationism(Islamic Creationism) is taught in schools and is a mandatory subject because it is integrated into the Islamic Studies subject for Muslim students. Science text-books are written in such a way that at the end of some chapters, students are told to be grateful for the wonderful Universe in which God has provided for us.

Also, threads of this caliber on PC tend to degenerate into flame wars sooner or later...

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    That's like mandating that fairytales must be taught in school :O

Fairytales should be mandatory. They are good for instilling an interest in reading into children, and they teach morals. I would say that fairytales are a more important part of a child's curriculum than religion.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    No, creationism should absolutely not be taught in schools. Why teach lies to children?

Religion is one of the things that really annoys me about America. Everyone takes it so seriously. Back in England, if someone suggested that creationism be taught in schools to the House of Commons, they'd get laughed out of the building. That's how it should be.

There is no doubt in my mind that God does not exist.
    Well if you watched that video Dawkins speaks directly about the problem in the UK and Europe right now, mostly because of the Muslim population. Personally, I'm not sure if fundie Christians or zealot Muslims are the bigger problem facing our respective regions.

EDIT: Mizan, my threads never create flame wars. Ever.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Yeah, and let's teach med students that diseases are caused by demons inhabiting our bodies.
    SURELY PRAYER MUST BE THE ANSWER INSTEAD OF SCIENCE.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Yeah, and let's teach med students that diseases are caused by demons inhabiting our bodies.
    Exorcisms have worked in the Catholic church for ages, respect the process man.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Well, Im religious and NEVER will be an atheist, I DO NOT think that creationism should be taught it school.

In fact, my grandpa was a preacher for over 50 years, in a baptist church, I REALLY DISLIKE Atheists.
    Not discounting the fact God loves everyone and preaches tolerance. A message that belongs in our school without a deity attached. TOLERANCE PEOPLE, TOLERANCE.

Unless you don't believe in what I do. Then you get nada from me.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years

• Well if you watched that video Dawkins speaks directly about the problem in the UK and Europe right now, mostly because of the Muslim population. Personally, I'm not sure if fundie Christians or zealot Muslims are the bigger problem facing our respective regions.

EDIT: Mizan, my threads never create flame wars. Ever.
    Will watch tomorrow, no time tonight. :P

We'll see. XD I'm hoping it won't turn into a flame war though. I do enjoy a civilized debate.

The Muslim/Persian/Arabic cultures actually contributed a lot to proper medical science and pharmaceutical methods.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_medicine#Arabic_and_Persian_medicine

A little prayer before a major surgery however, never hurt anyone...

Years
  • I'm not against schools teaching that creationism as an idea exists and that some people believe in it, provided it's all done in an elective class and that it also teaches about the creation stories all all the world's religions as well as the generally accepted scientific explanation for the beginning of the universe.

It should, however, never grace the pages of a science textbook.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    A little prayer alcohol before a major surgery however, never hurt anyone...

Fixed for improved truthiness.

Sadly I think that religion in schools is out of gas. What is terrible though is Texas's Board of Education recently passed a motion to get rid of Thomas Jefferson from our textbooks because of his claim that state and religion should be separated.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    The Muslim/Persian/Arabic cultures actually contributed a lot to proper medical science and pharmaceutical methods.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_medicine#Arabic_and_Persian_medicine

A little prayer before a major surgery however, never hurt anyone...

I mean using only prayer. Any sane person would choose a physician/surgeon/etc. to cure their problems instead of rolling the dice of life.
    Anyways, I don't see any evidence of creation attributable only to a certain religion, which is why I don't think it should be taught in schools.
    "OMG THIS PLANET IS PERFECT FOR LIFE" can be used by every religion that talks about creation.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024

Sadly I think that religion in schools is out of gas.

I think that teaching children about religions is important so that they will be tolerant. It's fine to teach children about creationism, so long as the teacher doesn't suggest that it is fact.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Creationism can absolutely be taught in schools...

...so long as those schools teach the creation stories of every major religion as well as the scientific view (evolution) and give children all the necessary facts so that they may form their own opinion on the matter.

Seriously, I'd have no problem with schools telling children that God created everyone in 7 days or whatever (either that or the Adam & Eve story--the bible can't even choose which origin story it likes :s). But that's only okay if the curriculum includes other religions (because Christianity is NOT the only belief on this earth) and doctrines. To this end, I also agree that it should be mandatory for everyone to take a "World Religions" course. Everyone needs to know the basics about other religions and should know what their beliefs are, even if only for the sake of the politically correct world we've been slowly creating. So whether or not evolution is preached as the "right" origin story, people will know what the creation stories of other religions are and how they compare.

Too bad that'll never happen.

(Also, question because I honestly don't know: is there even a DEBATE about whether or not to teach evolution in schools outside of the US? :s I can't recall anything of the sort in Canada but I don't know how it is in other countries.)

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I think that teaching children about religions is important so that they will be tolerant. It's fine to teach children about creationism, so long as the teacher doesn't suggest that it is fact.
    Yeah, that was what I was inferring. Religion is one of my favorite areas of study, especially ancient polytheistic ones (Greek, Roman, Egyptian) that essentially paved the way for more modern religions, such as Christianity and Islam.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Creationism can absolutely be taught in schools...

...so long as those schools teach the creation stories of every major religion as well as the scientific view (evolution) and give children all the necessary facts so that they may form their own opinion on the matter.

I disagree. That would confuse children. Also, teachers are bias.

Creationism should be taught in the context that "Some Christians believe that..." Evolution, on the other hand, should be taught as fact - because it is undeniable fact.

(Also, question because I honestly don't know: is there even a DEBATE about whether or not to teach evolution in schools outside of the US? :s I can't recall anything of the sort in Canada but I don't know how it is in other countries.)

America is the only developed country that takes religion seriously. I've always thought it was weird that the president always talks about God in his speeches. In England, that would just seem ridiculous.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back