• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A metagame without Salamence - Salamence is now uber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Now I have to redesign my team again. And B/W will make me redesign it all over again. -_-

Salamence wasn't much trouble really, It wasn't that hard to defeat. But at least I don't have to carry steel types to survive Outrage.

Now we can see a rise in Fire/water/grass types instead of steel/dragon. So venasaur/shaymin can say hello to OU and scizor is going to give up its #1 spot.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Salamence wasn't much trouble really, It wasn't that hard to defeat. But at least I don't have to carry steel types to survive Outrage.

I wouldnt say that just yet. Kingdra, Dragonite and Flygon are all common on suspect so if that metagame is anything to base what OU will look like, you'll still need steels for Draco's and Outrages.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • Eh, saw this coming. The arguments for Salamence to go were pretty overwhelming.

I wonder how this is going to balance out though. Now with Celebi and Raikou bolstered with their moves on the server, and one of the most powerful mixed attackers gone, I see a lot more of balanced style coming back, or even a rise in Blissey as a result. However, fighting types will mash up the tier with their two biggest checks now gone. (HERA TIIIIME)

As Anti said earlier, Scizor usage should go down because it really doesn't pick off much anymore (besides Hera and Breloom and other frail stuff), which means the metagame will start to lose one of the few priority revenge killers in OU. Oh man, OU is gonna change a lot for sure.

Ebrithil.

The Uber Tier Idiot
    Years
  • What a load of crap.
    By removing something that's at the top of the tier, you're simply leaving a hole from another "omgthatshouldbeanuberpokemonforsure" to take it's place.
    It is a totally ineffective way of balancing the tier.
    Like digging a hole in the ground, then digging another hole to put the rubbish from the first hole in!
    It really doesn't solve anything!
    I'll have to rework my team methinks, maybe replace salamence with gallade or heracross thenwork around them. :/

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    The only apparent reason they promoted him is due to making a nice partner for Rayquaza. He's not Garchomp, alone, he'll get murdered. What's next? Kingdra in Ubers? Gyarados? Competitive battling gets worse and worse. It's no wonder so many battlers have retired.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    The only apparent reason they promoted him is due to making a nice partner for Rayquaza.
    ...What? He was banned because of the MixMence set could OHKO / 2HKO everything in the game without being fragile or other bad traits, and forcing teams to always use one or two Steel-types to absorb Draco Meteors. Also, that analysis for Ubers has been there for months, and performance in Ubers doesn't matter anyway.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    This is jus LOL. Salamence wasn't that hard to deal with. She takes 25% of her health just to switch in and is 4x weak to one of the most common attacking types. Yes, Mence outclasses all non-Extremespeed Dragonites but she still dies to Swampert, Starmie and heck even CB Scizor revenge kills Mence after it's been attacked once or switched into SR a few times.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    This is jus LOL. Salamence wasn't that hard to deal with. She takes 25% of her health just to switch in and is 4x weak to one of the most common attacking types. Yes, Mence outclasses all non-Extremespeed Dragonites but she still dies to Swampert, Starmie and heck even CB Scizor revenge kills Mence after it's been attacked once or switched into SR a few times.

If you're using Swampert or Starmie to switch into Mence, something tells me you wont win many times. Also if you have to revenge something beat it, doesn't that tell you something is wrong lol ? (i agree with Scizor since it is a good check though)

Years
  • i think it's dumb salamence is uber now. soon enough dragonite will be uber too. people just want something to complain about. anytime something is remotely "overpowered" people complain.

§1

Rocket grunt
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    people actually had a problem taking that thing down?

...hope tyranitar stays in OU

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    lol.

Depends on your style.

My style usually involved running a wall-breaker Mence with extra speed, so I simply switched in and killed if it didn't use Dragon Dance xD

Whereas I'd be more commonly found complaining due to my inability to counter ScarfTar.

I'd be seriously shocked if Dragonite was voted Uber. that'd be preposterous, and probably will never happen unless it gets a huge boost somehow in 5th Gen

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I saw a bunch of users spamming Spiritomb- hope it's not uber. It's actually decent.

But none on my team are uber- Cresselia, Rampardos, Zapdos (last is temporary)

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
  • lol.

Depends on your style.

My style usually involved running a wall-breaker Mence with extra speed, so I simply switched in and killed if it didn't use Dragon Dance xD

Whereas I'd be more commonly found complaining due to my inability to counter ScarfTar.

I'd be seriously shocked if Dragonite was voted Uber. that'd be preposterous, and probably will never happen unless it gets a huge boost somehow in 5th Gen

about that, i've been on shoddy nowadays and there's quite a few people running more Dnites and flygons. im pretty sure kingdra is out there too.

There's also an influx of more fighting types as every battle i had so far i encountered more Apes and Machamps

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    lol. Mence can't switch in with Intimidate and pwn with Draco Meteor or Earthquake xD

Or at least that's what I think.

It'll be nice to see Scizor go down the usage statistics again...by Gen V all the n00bs will have dropped it...only for its usefulness to come back for killing a new threat, xD

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • Meh, I don't really agree with it, but what can I do? XD

Back before Garchomp was banned, my favourite counter for it was the UU Tangrowth. And in Salamence's case, I usually just Ice Shard it. And a few weeks ago I OHKO'd one with a Scarfed Mightyena's Ice Fang. The thing is not too hard to take down in my opinion. Heh, I personally think Stealth Rock is what should be banned instead, but hey, I guess that's why I'm not Smogon. XD

I hardly ever use Ubers in Ubers anyway, but now I may bring a Salamence along sometimes. ^_^

myrrh25

New account soon.
    Years
  • Thanks Smogon. Just ban Salamence as soon as I get my Adamant Bagon with 31 IV's in Attack and Speed.

Reeeaaaal nice Smogon.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • I can't believe salamance is uber! Next Flygon is gonna be banned for it's "stealth rock resistance", then Dragonite for it's "bulk" ,and finaly Kingdra
    for it's " 1 and only weakness to Dragon", which by this point will then be non-existent! What the BBWAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

Soon, Altaria wiil be the new OU threat :(

rofl.

Well, this I didn't quite see coming.

...Really? You should invest in some
    Bag_Choice_Specs_Sprite.png

What a load of crap.
    By removing something that's at the top of the tier, you're simply leaving a hole from another "omgthatshouldbeanuberpokemonforsure" to take it's place.
    It is a totally ineffective way of balancing the tier.
    Like digging a hole in the ground, then digging another hole to put the rubbish from the first hole in!
    It really doesn't solve anything!
    I'll have to rework my team methinks, maybe replace salamence with gallade or heracross thenwork around them. :/

If it makes you feel any better, salamence was number 2 or 3. not number 1.

The only apparent reason they promoted him is due to making a nice partner for Rayquaza. He's not Garchomp, alone, he'll get murdered. What's next? Kingdra in Ubers? Gyarados? Competitive battling gets worse and worse. It's no wonder so many battlers have retired.

o_o; thats not at all how it worked. it was because he was a threat in ou, ubers has nothing to do with it. also, kingdra is rather common in ubers, just fyi.

i think it's dumb salamence is uber now. soon enough dragonite will be uber too. people just want something to complain about. anytime something is remotely "overpowered" people complain.

-.- dragonite =/= salamence. also, overpowered is generally a good reason for a ban.

I saw a bunch of users spamming Spiritomb- hope it's not uber. It's actually decent.

But none on my team are uber- Cresselia, Rampardos, Zapdos (last is temporary)

>___> itt: we should infract people who compare tomb to salamence.

Thanks Smogon. Just ban Salamence as soon as I get my Adamant Bagon with 31 IV's in Attack and Speed.

Reeeaaaal nice Smogon.

They must have done it knowing you had that. DOWN WITH SMOGON!!!

But yeah, I saw this coming a mile away. Not really suprised, don't really care. Never really used mence, just played around it. inb4gwfcores.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back