• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[UU] First ever try. Competitive Battling.

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
Years
  • [UU] First ever try. Competitive Battling RMT.

This is my first try making a Competitive Battling Team. I'm not sure if what I'll be doing is correct, but I really need your comments for this team. I've read much from the guides here in PC, and Smogon. (I just liked Shiny Srites, so I placed them. lol)

Without further ado, here is my (planned) team.

Lead
    277.png

Swellow @ Toxic Orb (Guts - Jolly)
    252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 HP

Brave Bird - Swellow's STAB attack that damages Ghost-types if Facade can't
    Facade - Facade + Poison Status can be a great threat to anything that can be damaged by it.
    U-Turn - Hits then runs away from a potential check.
    Protect - Can help to negate damage as a Lead.

Physical Wall
    080.png

Slowbro @ Leftovers (Own Tempo - Bold)
    252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD

Surf - A STAB move to take-out mostly fire, rock, and ground Pokemon.
    Psychic - Secondary STAB move to take out Poison and Psychic Types
    Slack off - Instant Recovery for damage received.
    Thunder Wave - Status move. I might replace this with Toxic.

Physical Attacker

059.png

Arcanine @ Choice Band
    (Intimidate - Adamant) OR (Flash Fire - Adamant)
    252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 Def

Thunder Fang - Good for countering Water-Types (I might replace this with HP Grass)
    Flare Blitz - Main STAB move to anything that doesn't resist it. (Quoted from Smogon)

Morning Sun - So that Arcanine can switch often
    Extremespeed - To finish off weakened Poke's.

Special Attacker
    003-m.png

Venusaur @ Life Orb
    (Overgrow - Timid)
    252 SpA / 252 Spe / 6 Def

Leaf Storm - Main STAB move that can take out Bulky Waters
    Sludge Bomb - Another STAB that can damage that resists Leaf Storm
    Sleep Powder - Incapacitating (potential) checks and counters.
    Synthesis - Allows Venusaur to recover from damage

Cleric (Utility)

241.png

Miltank @ Left Overs (Scrappy - Calm) OR
    Miltank @ Leftovers (Scrappy- Impish) (EV's 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD)
    240 HP / 132 Def / 132 SpD / 6 Spe

Heal Bell - Works like Aromatherapy
    Milk Drink - Works like Softboiled
    Stealth Rock
    Body Slam / Seismic Toss

Rapid Spinner

232-m.png

Donphan @ Leftovers (Sturdy - Adamant)
    252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spe

Rapid Spin - Main purpose
    Stone Edge - To deal damage to Flying-types OR Head Smash - More powerful than Stone Edge, but more dangerous to use.
    Earthquake - Primary STAB that can deal high damage
    Assurance - Counters incoming levitating Ghost-types

Removed Pokemons
    Spoiler:

PS. I forgot to include RMT on thread title.

Last edited:

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
    Years
  • Uh, the moves and EV's are there? This is an on-going planned team. I have them still as unevolved, and EV-training them.

Asrodrig

#1 Meowth fan
    Years
  • Just a tip... Don't put the font in a color that we can't see.
    Lead
    277.png

Swellow @ Toxic Orb (Guts - Jolly)
    252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 HP

Brave Bird - Swellow's STAB attack that damages Ghost-types if Facade can't
    Facade - Facade + Poison Status can be a great threat to anything that can be damaged by it.
    U-Turn - Hits then runs away from a potential check.
    Protect - Can help to negate damage as a Lead.

Physical Wall
    080.png

Slowbro @ Leftovers (Own Tempo - Bold)
    252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD

Surf - A STAB move to take-out mostly fire, rock, and ground Pokemon.
    Psychic - Secondary STAB move to take out Poison and Psychic Types
    Slack off - Instant Recovery for damage received.
    Thunder Wave - Status move. I might replace this with Toxic.

Physical Attacker

059.png

Arcanine @ Choice Band
    (Intimidate - Adamant) OR (Flash Fire - Adamant)
    252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 Def

Thunder Fang - Good for countering Water-Types (I might replace this with HP Grass)
    Flare Blitz - Main STAB move to anything that doesn't resist it. (Quoted from Smogon)[/COLOR]

Morning Sun - So that Arcanine can switch often
    Extremespeed - To finish off weakened Poke's.

Special Attacker
    003-m.png
    [/COLOR]
    Venusaur @ Life Orb (Overgrow - Timid)
    252 SpA / 252 Spe / 6 Def

Leaf Storm - Main STAB move that can take out Bulky Waters
    Sludge Bomb - Another STAB that can damage that resists Leaf Storm
    Sleep Powder - Incapacitating (potential) checks and counters.
    Synthesis - Allows Venusaur to recover from damage

Cleric
    113.png

Chansey @ Shell Bell (Natural Cure - Calm)
    252 Def / 252 SpD / 6 Spe

Softboiled - Recovery purposes.
    Aromatherapy - Removes status ailments from the party.
    Stealth Rock - Since my lead does not have Stealth Rock initiated, I can still set-up one later.
    Earthquake - Since Seismic Toss is gone since DPPt, Earthquake can be a good damaging move to non-flying and non-levitating types. Chansey isn't really for damage though.

Semi-Revenge
    051.png

Dugtrio @ Choice Scarf (Arena Trap - Adamant)
    252 Atk / 212 Spe / 44 HP

Earthquake - Primary STAB move that can almost OHKO Glass Sweepers
    Stone Edge - Helps in hitting Flying-Types and may OHKO Pokemon damaged from Life Orb and Stealth Rock
    Night Slash - Can take out Psychic types and have a high-critical hit ratio that may OHKO.
    Aerial Ace - High-priority move that can KO weakened Pokemons.

PS. I forgot to include RMT on thread title.

As for your team, it looks pretty decent, but i'd say you need a Rapid Spinner. Maybe switch out Dugtrio for Donphan or Hitmontop to give you that, plus the same Attack power of dugtrio. That way, you can be a little safer if you decide to bring Swellow or Arcanine on later in the match.

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
    Years
  • Just a tip... Don't put the font in a color that we can't see.

As for your team, it looks pretty decent, but i'd say you need a Rapid Spinner. Maybe switch out Dugtrio for Donphan or Hitmontop to give you that, plus the same Attack power of dugtrio. That way, you can be a little safer if you decide to bring Swellow or Arcanine on later in the match.

Font color? Oh. I'm just using the standard "Johto Elite" theme and it has a black background. I used it because it was the first ever theme that was applied when I first came here. To my screen, they're just white and some are bold.

Is the Item Clause pretty much used? I'm having troubles looking for other items that will fit into my Team.

Thanks for the tip too, how about if the opponent sets-up a Spin Blocker?

Asrodrig

#1 Meowth fan
    Years
  • I find Item Clause isn't as common as it once was. The items you've got will work fine if it is in effect though.
    Donphan can tote Assurance, which can deal some alright damage thanks to his mediocre speed, and a Hitmontop with Sucker Punch can take care of it if your prediction is good.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Earthquake is a bad option on Chansey because its Attack is very terrible. People still use Seismic Toss on Chansey in Gen IV because you can Pal Park a Chansey that knows that move from Gen III to Gen IV.

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
    Years
  • Earthquake is a bad option on Chansey because its Attack is very terrible. People still use Seismic Toss on Chansey in Gen IV because you can Pal Park a Chansey that knows that move from Gen III to Gen IV.

Probably can't do that because I'm using a DSi and my FRLGRSE cartridges lost their saves. What would be a good option instead of Seismic toss?

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Probably can't do that because I'm using a DSi and my FRLGRSE cartridges lost their saves. What would be a good option instead of Seismic toss?

Nothing. It needs it. Its the only worthwhile attack Chansey gets.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    If you don't really have Seismic Toss, then I say something specially-based (Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt). Or if you don't worry about Taunt, then Thunder Wave/Toxic.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Chansey has base 35 sp.att, to put this in perspective Pinsir has better sp.att. Chansey needs S.toss 100%. Without its just inferior to Clefable who can use special attacks, who in turn doesnt take hits nearly as well.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Could I just teach it something else? It's not really gonna attack since it's a Cleric.

Not really, it needs to attack or you lose to things you're supposed to beat. Just use Clefable or something lol.

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
    Years
  • If I remember correctly, Clefable can learn Softboiled. Only problem I have is Clefable learns it from Emerald and FRLG. Would Wish be enough instead of Softboiled?

I got an idea.

How about..

Cleric (Utility) instead of Chansey

241.png

Miltank @ Left Overs (Scrappy - Calm)
    240 HP / 132 Def / 132 SpD / 6 Spe

Heal Bell - Works like Aromatherapy
    Milk Drink - Works like Softboiled
    Stealth Rock
    Body Slam

OR

Miltank @ Leftovers (Scrappy - Impish)
    248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

Same moveset.

Rapid Spinner instead of Dugtrio

232-m.png

Donphan @ Leftovers (Sturdy - Adamant)
    252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spe

Rapid Spin - Main purpose
    Stone Edge - To deal damage to Flying-types
    Earthquake - Primary STAB that can deal high damage
    Assurance - Counters incoming levitating Ghost-types

Team updated. Removed some pokemons.

Last edited:

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
    Years
  • (planned) Team updated. Tell me what you're thinking off :]
    I really need comments because this is my first ever try for Competitive Battling. D:

Asrodrig

#1 Meowth fan
    Years
  • If this is your first foray into Competative battles, then the #1 thing I would suggest is to go out and battle with your team. That will give you an idea of what your style is, and what roles you need your Pokemon to fulfill. A little experience will really help you when you decide what Pokemon to choose.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Yeah, playtesting is pretty much the most important thing in playing anything competitively (well, that and experience in general). I mean, you can always /theorise/ where things would go or how it would survive against others, but you can't be sure that you can wall XX Pokemon properly or be able to defeat XX strategy without trying it out. What I usually do is make a spreadsheet with win/loss and mvp/reason. For example, we might not find a problem with it now, but if you test it and find that XX destroys your team, you can then adjust it to be able to deal with it more easily. Remember though, don't be afraid to lose. Losing is really just the first step to winning (lol nonsense quote).

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Oh btw dont use that Donphan ev spread, its horrible.

252 Hp / 62 Att / 188 Sp.Def / 8 Speed is much better @ Adamant. Put Stealth Rock on it to free a slot up on your normal type, over Stone Edge.

This lets it spin on more and not be KO'd even by Milotic's surf. It also lives a Moltres Fire Blast and a NP Shadow Ball from Mismag with ease, the latter of which you can check. The att evs let you nail ghosts and the speed evs beat Chansey and Registeel.

Also, Miltank is poop at mixed walling. Honestly use Clefable lol or better yet, Lickilicky if you can get one with Wish. He is the second best special tank in NU/UU imho.

Clefable@Toxic Orb
    252 HP / 252 s.def / 6 def
    Careful nature
    Trait : Magic Guard
    - Meteor Mash
    - Softboiled
    - Thunderwave / Toxic
    - Facade

I kinda like this set lol

Lickilicky@Leftovers
    252 HP / 252 SP.DEF / 6 DEF
    Careful Nature
    Trait : Own Tempo
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Body Slam
    - Power Whip

Oh and btw you dont need Heal Bell/Aroma since you have a status absorber in Swellow and you just remove its Guts boost each time you use it lol. That and Clefable can use Toxic Orb too thanks to Magic Guard.

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
    Years
  • Oh btw dont use that Donphan ev spread, its horrible.

252 Hp / 62 Att / 188 Sp.Def / 8 Speed is much better @ Adamant. Put Stealth Rock on it to free a slot up on your normal type, over Stone Edge.

This lets it spin on more and not be KO'd even by Milotic's surf. It also lives a Moltres Fire Blast and a NP Shadow Ball from Mismag with ease, the latter of which you can check. The att evs let you nail ghosts and the speed evs beat Chansey and Registeel.

Also, Miltank is poop at mixed walling. Honestly use Clefable lol or better yet, Lickilicky if you can get one with Wish. He is the second best special tank in NU/UU imho.

Clefable@Toxic Orb
    252 HP / 252 s.def / 6 def
    Careful nature
    Trait : Magic Guard
    - Meteor Mash
    - Softboiled
    - Thunderwave / Toxic
    - Facade

I kinda like this set lol

Lickilicky@Leftovers
    252 HP / 252 SP.DEF / 6 DEF
    Careful Nature
    Trait : Own Tempo
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Body Slam
    - Power Whip

Oh and btw you dont need Heal Bell/Aroma since you have a status absorber in Swellow and you just remove its Guts boost each time you use it lol. That and Clefable can use Toxic Orb too thanks to Magic Guard.

Thanks for this, D_A. I might go with the Clefable since you've suggested Meteor Mash over Seismic Toss, which is really a trouble for me. I tried the one above on Pokemon Online and just got whooped by Level 1 Poke's (Even an Aggron) that uses Endeavor and Sturdy / Focus Sash. >.>

Back