• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] What are ways to make a 3d pokemon game

Years
  • It has been almost a year , since i've been wondering about a pokemon game made completely in 3d.I have many ideas about storyline, plot, characters, etc .Can anyone suggest me any engine or any other tools or maybe any programming language ?.Thanks in advance

Edit:Sorry for writing "any programming language" i didn't meant that

Last edited:
    Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    You could try using Unity. It's a really powerful engine that can easily be expanded if you know a little bit about C# programming.

Bowlstir

Media Arts and Game Development
    Years
  • You will need to learn a coding language. And I would suggest Unity. Put aside LOTS of time to learn the program first.

Years
  • Thanks for the advice of unity 3d, but this time i'm learning c++ not c#.And i'm also in high school, so i don't have enough time for learning another programming language.It would be great if you could suggest me anything else, but please not unity 3d

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen today
    Pokémon games doesn't need a physics tool, so isn't hard to be made, but still is harder than a 2D game.

Unreal Engine uses C++, one of most famous and professional free Engines. I particularly prefer C#, but C/C++ is the industry standard since every main SOs use these language natively, faster than a interpreted script or even a language than runs at VM (like JVM and CLR). Unity3D uses Mono that can compile code in two ways, JIT and AOT.

Site wth 3D models:
    http://www.models-resource.com/3ds/pokemonxy/
    http://www.models-resource.com/3ds/pokemonoras/

Years
  • @R.F. Thanks for that link, i'm very thankful to you, i've got the answer "yes, we can programme the game".
    But i'm not going to close the thread as i want more suggestions

Off topic:First of all i'm very good at using google, and have came to know answers of my 99% of my questions that came in my mind.I've asked the question just to get "100%" sure.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • Honestly, I know you don't want to hear it, but I'd recommend Unity. The syntax of C# is almost identical to C++, with some very minor differences(the only ones coming to mind are the lack of pointers and references since C# isn't meant to be working with memory directly). This is also speaking from the perspective of a 3rd year college student working with a team's engine made in C++, you're going to spend more time on your engine than on your game if you start with just Visual Studio. Admittedly I haven't looked much into Unreal, but I've disliked it at some instinctual level quite a bit with my brief encounters.

Schrroms

Pokémon Infinite Fusion dev
    Years
  • There isn't anything like Pokemon Essentials for 3d games, unfortunately. Your best bet is something like Unity. But you'll have to write some code or you won't be able to get very far. It uses C# and Javascript iirc. Or you could even try using Unreal Engine 4 if you really want to go big, it's completely free.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • There isn't anything like Pokemon Essentials for 3d games, unfortunately.
    I'm actually working on getting a starter kit together for people interested in making a 3D fangame, a starter kit for Unity in particular.
    Your best bet is something like Unity. But you'll have to write some code or you won't be able to get very far. It uses C# and Javascript iirc.
    To be fair, you should be writing code for your fangame even if you're using Essentials. It's meant to just be a springboard so you don't have to work on the core system for so long.
    Or you could even try using Unreal Engine 4 if you really want to go big, it's completely free.
    Unreal and Unity are pretty comparable. It's not my cup of tea, but I'd recommend it if you find you work faster with it than Unity.

MM980

"You said you have a dream...That dream...Make it
    Years
  • Unreal 4 is very good, big game companies also use UE4 (Batman Arkham series),
    +some people made Pokemon battle system in UE4
    +There are 2 not famous (It is just not much popular, don't think it is infamous LOL) tutorials

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
    Years
  • IIRC there are already thread dedicated to 3D pokemon engine, it's just that there are not thriving as well as rpg maker. Maybe you can take a look at them and see whether you could collaborate with them.

[UPDATE] OK I'm wrong; only 2D games a proposed, except for one that's locked behind discord: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=425395

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2021
    It has been almost a year , since i've been wondering about a pokemon game made completely in 3d.I have many ideas about storyline, plot, characters, etc .Can anyone suggest me any engine or any other tools or maybe any programming language ?.Thanks in advance

Edit:Sorry for writing "what language does unreal engine use" i didn't meant that

Did you figure it out? I'd appreciate it if you'd give me some information.

Thanks.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2024
    I am currently working on my own Pokemon 3D game in Unreal Engine. You don't need to learn any programming language. I have been working on it for many years on and off, and I am looking for a programmer so if any of you are interested PM me or leave a message here. I have all the Pokemon and a tone of characters. The most challenging part for me is creating the buildings.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2022
    hey guys does anyone have a source where i can find some pokemon scripts for unity 3d style, coz i wanna create my own pokemon style game but i want that battle system,,please help!

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2024
    What do you mean by Unity 3D Style ? The engine does not define the style.
    If you want to create a game why not make it in 2D ? and what do you mean by 'i want that battle system' ? Do you mean a turn based battle system or real time battle system ?

Back