• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esp1222

Psychic Lover
Years
  • Well I just finished Gen. 2 with fire type.
    Team was-
    Typhlosion-Lv. 67
    Flamethrower
    Fire Punch
    Thunder Punch
    Quick Attack

Arcainine-Lv.70
    Flamethrower
    Take Down
    Bite
    Agilty-(Used to beat Reds Faster Pokes)

Put me on Hoenn Now.
    I know 4 team members-
    Blaziken
    Camerupt
    Magcargo
    Torkoal

Any others?

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2011
    Yes, I want to use Victrebeel instead of Bulbasaur. I also want a challenge ( Beedrill really sucks)

Beedrill can be quite useful in some battles in Gen. I. Once it gets it's bug-type moves.

After that its pretty useless.

Update on my Hoenn challenge:

Decided against looking for Surskit.
    Caught Nincada.
    Decided to raise Nincada where Surskit could be found.
    Caught Surskit.
    Caught Wurmple (hoping it's gonna be Silcoon)
    Evolved Wurmple>Silcoon>Beautifly
    Beat gym 1. Absorb+Bubble ftw
    Beat gym 2. Confusion+Gust ftw
    Caught Volbeat
    Evolved Nincada into Ninjask/Shedinja
    Beat gym 3. - After hours of trying. Needed to combine Volbeats Confuse Ray, with Shedinja's ability to not be harmed by magnemite/magnetron (except confusion), and his screech to lower defence, then ninjask to finish them off. Also lol at voltorb self-destructing while Dustox used protect, haha.
    And here's hoping Surskit was worth the 3 hours it took to find when I go up against Flannery.

Last edited:
    Years
  • If you started with Mudkip and it's male, you could breed a Mud Shot Surskit, that's the way I beat Wattson. It's even allowed.
    Can't think of any other way than this and grinding (A real lot of it, my Ninjask was in its mid 30s and still couldn't do much against him)

Wait, there is another method that could be tried: an unevolved Nincada! It has a type advantage over both Electric and Steel, so they won't be able to hurt it with their Electric STABs. Sadly it can't really hurt them before getting Mud Slap around level 30 or Dig in its 40s, so maybe the idea isn't that great, Supersonic, Sonicboom and Voltorb's Selfdestruct would kill it...

Last edited:

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
    Years
  • In gen 1, critical hits ratio depends on the speed difference between the Pokemon, and since a Charizard in its high 30s is a lot faster than the level 15-20 mostly unevolved Pokemon around Vermilion, you will of course do a lot of crits.

Weeeeeell, not exactly. Critical Hits in Gen 1 worked like this...

(Base Speed)/255.

So, if you had, say, Tauros and a 110 base speed, 110/255 would have about a 43% chance of critical hits.

But what about Slash and Razor Leaf (and the other High Crit moves)? How did they work? The ratio was changed, of course!

(Base Speed)/64.

So, if Venusaur (Which had base 80 speed, iirc) used Razor leaf, it would crit EVERY TIME! Same with Persian or Scyther and Slash, ext.

Oh, and Focus energy? In stadium, it made the above, but in RBY, it was really broken. It worked like this: If you were faster than your foe, nothing happened. But if you were SLOWER, you would be rendered unable to crit! And that's NO GOOD! (Or so Sonic Sayz.)

So what pokemon had the critical hit chance of today? Well, nowadays it is a 6.25 percent chance, so the pokemon would have to basically be Snorlax.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • is it too late to start it? Or does this last forever? because im thinking about restarting my FR and im toats mcgoats going water...or psychic...

11wildy

Me!
    Years
  • I have a kind of update XD

I went on with my challenge, worrying about how bad Misty would be for my challenge. I went on the nugget bridge and made sure I beat ALL trainers possible before challenging her.

Staryu was outspeeded and beaten by Magnitude 8.
    Starmie outspeeded me and put me to 3 HP with water pulse, then I killed with Magnitude 10!

I got so lucky there!

Wattson was really easy with more magnitudes.
    Now went trough Rock tunnel and saved.

Team:
    Graveler lvl 40 (I'm unable to trade so he won't evolve)
    Rock Slide
    Magnitude
    Secret power
    Selfdestruct

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    is it too late to start it? Or does this last forever? because im thinking about restarting my FR and im toats mcgoats going water...or psychic...

You can probably start at any point, since it's not a competition against other people; it's a challenge for yourself ;)

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    mattman324 said:
    So, if Venusaur (Which had base 80 speed, iirc) used Razor leaf, it would crit EVERY TIME! Same with Persian or Scyther and Slash, ext.

... wow. That's pretty broken. I can see why they changed it in the later generations. At least I can abuse it for now.

gamer691 said:
    is it too late to start it? Or does this last forever? because im thinking about restarting my FR and im toats mcgoats going water...or psychic...

It's never too late to start! Join the club and good luck! :)

---

Fire Monotype Challenge: Part 10 - Holy Halloween, Batman! Silph Co. Is Under Attack!

Trainer Name: Seb
    Badges: 5
    Generation: I (on Blue)

Log:

• Decided against having a Magmar. Besides, I'm scared of those things. They look so... weird. This will probably come back to haunt me later, huh?
    • Gave the a bottle of Fresh Water to the guards and arrived in Saffron.
    • Stormed walked into the Silph Co. Building bravely!
    • Man, am I overleveled or what?
    • Got the Card Key. Victory!
    • FINALLY got Felix to Level 54. Flamethrower ftw.
    • Taught Ringo Earthquake. Destruction ftw.
    • Met up with Rival Holden again. Ringo 2HKOd Pidgeot with a Slash, then I sent Trixie out and it used Dig against Growlithe. Ringo hasn't seen much action recently, so I let him take care of the rest of the fight. Exeggcute went down to a Critical Hit Flamethrower (major overkill) and, fortunately, Alakazam went down to one Earthquake. Blastoise went down to 2 Earthquakes (one was a Critical Hit). Ringo grew to Level 50!
    • Got a Lapras and realized I didn't even need to catch an HM Slave for Surf. I have one right here...
    • Faced off against Giovanni. Pfft. He has a Nidorino? Please. 1HKOd everything except for Nidoqueen, who was left with 1HP... and to top it all off, she poisoned me with a Poison Sting. That's nice. Ringo grew to Level 51!
    • MasterBall acquired. Proceeded to exit in an inconspicuous manner by using an Escape Rope through the window. Mission complete!
    Team:

Ringo (Level 51)
    - Flamethrower
    - Earthquake
    - Slash
    - Swords Dance (I need something better than Leer...)

Trixie (Level 49)
    - Flamethrower
    - Fire Spin
    - Dig
    - Confuse Ray

Felix (Level 54)
    - Body Slam
    - Fire Spin
    - Flamethrower
    - Bite

Weird

Lazy Guy
    Years
  • Poison

Name: Acidor
    Badges: 1
    Leaf Green

- Defeated Brock with Beedrill only ( Harden 6 times, Poison Sting until the Poison killed him)
    - Got to Mt. Moon
    - Caught Nidoran Male and Nidoran female

Team:

Lv. 16

- Poison Sting
    - String Shot
    - Harden
    - Fury Attack

Lv. 12

- Tackle
    - Growl
    - Tail Whip

Lv. 12

- Peck
    - Focus Energy
    - Growl

(HM slave Sqirtle)

Next to do:
    - search for Bellsprout
    - evolve Nidoran

Years
  • Ah, apparently my memory about RBY crits wasn't that correct, but whatever...

- - -

I was about to go through Victory Road now, but when I was halfway through it, I was swept by a Claydol that got 3 Ancient Power boosts in a row. (On the first time, Hera used EQ, I had forgotten about its Levitate ability, and then with even more defense, Hera had no way to hurt it, and Maquerain didn't like boosted Ancientpowers.

I'll try again later...

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Argh! I haven't got a single pokémon that can learn FLASH! How am I supposed to get through Rock Tunnel? Going through the darkness? I am so close to giving up... I can't seem to be able to catch an Abra. Can I train a Metapod to evolve into Butterfree so I can has FLASH?

Years
  • Wait, you're playing the first generation, right?
    Flash is not necessary there, you can see the walls and stairs.
    But if you want to use Flash anyway, outside of Rock Tunnel there are Voltorbs, they can learn it.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Oh? XD It's clearly been too long since I played 1st gen, and I've always played Yellow and never Blue. Voltorb, here I come. Thanks!

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    I know 4 team members-
    Blaziken
    Camerupt
    Magcargo
    Torkoal

Any others?

Can't you get Vulpix in Hoenn? I believe it's in the Mt. Pyre area. There's another member for your team, if you like Ninetales and want a larger team. But it's also kind of late in the game.

---

Fire
    Monotype Challenge: Part Eleven - Overleveled Beyond Belief

Badges: 6

Log:

• Went to take on the Fighting Dojo. 1HKOd everything with Trixie and her insane Special stat. She's finally in the 50s now. I chose Hitmonlee as my prize, but Hitmontop is my favorite.
    • Went to take on the Saffron City Gym. Hooray! No more 1HKOs!
    • I take that back. Twas only the Slowbros that could stand up to my overleveled Pokemon.
    Saffron Gym Battle Log:

• I honestly don't see the point of doing these anymore. I think I'll just stop them next Gen. When you're overleveled, nothing noteworth ever happens. The only Pokemon I didn't destroy was Alakazam, who used his one turn to set up a Reflect...
    Team:
    Even less things happened here. Trixie is at Level 52, now. That's it. No more. I'm hoping the water route to Cinnabar Island will have a lack of 1HKOs.

Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2011
    Bugs are the greatest type ever, good luck!

Put me down for ice, on Sapphire!
    To start, I picked up my Delibird, Clarence, and did the pre-1st gym stuff. Next time I'll talk about the Petalburg forest.

Last edited:

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    Bugs are the greatest type ever, good luck!

Put me down for ice, on Sapphire!
    To start, I picked up my Delibird, Clarence, and did the pre-1st gym stuff. Next time I'll talk about the Petalburg forest.

Well, you have to start from Generation I (Red/Blue/Yellow/) or FR and LG and work your way all the way to Sinnoh. That's why it's the Ultimate Monotype Run. You start with one type in the first generation, and you end with it. You'll get to Sapphire eventually if you like it so much.

---

Fire
    Monotype Challenge: Part Twelve - Switches!

Badges: 6

Log:

• Went on a little detour to the Power Plant and defeated Zapdos for experience. Why waste money on Ultra Balls?
    • Traveled westward on Lapras and reached the Seafoam Islands. 1HKOd Water Pokemon with Flamethrowers... sigh.
    • Got lost but finally figured it out and defeated Articuno. I think this may have been my first time going through the Islands without using a guidebook. I was too young to enjoy Generation I fully when it came out, and I didn't feel like it in FireRed, so don't blame me.
    • Arrived on Cinnabar Island and went inside the Pokemon Mansion. The music is quite good. The burglars also give good experience and money.
    • Got the Secret Key and Escape Rope'd it out of there.
    Team:
    Only new levels. Ringo is at Level 57, Trixie is at Level 55, and Felix is at Level 54... I think. Something like that. Still 1HKOing. For the first time in many years, I'll be overleveled for the Elite Four, or at least around the same levels as opposed to my usual (which is incredibly underleveled for a challenge).

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2011
    Update for me:

Beat Flannery with Surskit, who proved totally worth the hours of searching.
    Surskit evolved into Masquerain (finally, was getting tired of halting its evolution)
    Ditched Shedinja for Anorith.
    Trained Anorith to get Metal Claw (ahh a steel-type attack, the closest thing to my favourite pkmn type in this region).
    Beat my father.
    Realised bugs are no match for flying types, so skipping Winona for now, will come back later.
    Beat May in Lilycove.
    Decided to ditch Dustox for a HM slave, cos he's always falling behind in levels.

Next time: I kick team aqua out of lilycove, which should hopefully lead to being able to beat winona.

Current team:

Anorith, lv 28
    Metal Claw
    Scratch
    Water Gun (WHY CANT YOU LEARN SURF IF YOU CAN LEARN WATER GUN V.V)
    Harden

Beautifly, lv 26
    Stun Spore
    Gust
    Morning Sun
    Mega Drain

Volbeat, lv29
    Shock Wave (to be updated to Thunder)
    Moonlight
    Signal Beam
    Confuse Ray

Masquerain, lv30
    Bubblebeam
    Quick attack
    Sweet scent
    Water sport (Gonna buy blizzard soon)

Ninjask, lv26
    Fury Cutter
    Swords Dance
    Screech (<- will be replaced with Slash asap :P)
    Dig

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back