• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gimmick Mew

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    So I decided to create a kind of gimmicky stall team based around a gimmick Mew set. I have tested it and it is actually quite a bit more successful than my last team (though that team was fairly bad).

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Rough Skin
    EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Substitute
    - Dragon Tail
    - Toxic
    - Earthquake

I am almost definitely going to get rid of Substitute, but I wanted some suggestions on what to replace it with. So far, it has provided useful as a guaranteed check against potential setup sweepers, allowing the Substitute to take the hit and using Dragon Tail to force a switch out. Dragon Tail is also incredibly useful in tandem with Ferrothorn's Stealth Rock, though I have considered giving Garchomp Stealth Rock > Substitute to free up one of Ferrothorn's moveslots. Yet still, Garchomp would do well to have another coverage move, or a Dragon move without lowered priority. Please give me suggestions on what I ought to do with Garchomp's set.

Sableye @ Sablenite
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
    Careful Nature
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Knock Off
    - Recover
    - Foul Play

This has actually worked remarkably well on this team. Priority Will-O-Wisp has allowed me to shut down quite a few physical attackers, and Knock-Off is very useful. However, due to Sableye's pathetic Speed and Attack, I have considered taking Knock Off off the set and giving it to Mew over Mew's Superpower. While it would hinder Mew's ability to take on Steel and Dark types, Mew is a better user of Knock Off. Still, I don't know what I would put on this set in place of Knock Off. Sableye, while great, does not have many viable options.

Clefable @ Leftovers
    Ability: Unaware
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
    Modest Nature
    - Moonlight
    - Calm Mind
    - Moonblast
    - Fire Blast

I rarely make a team without Unaware Clefable on it. It feels so anti-metagame to me even though it's fairly common. Most opponents generally expect a MG set, so they continue to setup against Clefable. Meanwhile, even unboosted Moonblast + Fire Blast coverage OHKOs or 2HKOs a large portion of the metagame. If Clefable can setup a few CMs and avoid status, it's pretty much over.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Leech Seed
    - Power Whip
    - Thunder Wave

While it may be setup fodder, I do like this Ferrothorn set. As I mentioned on Garchomp's commentary, I think moving SR over to Garchomp may be wise. However both are quite capable of punishing physical attackers and forcing + punishing switches.

Latios @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Surf
    - Psyshock
    - Trick

While the title doesn't mention it, this is quite gimmicky as well. I feel I may need to replace Surf but it does help tremendously with Heatran. Few things bar Fairy types can take on a Draco Meteor, even Steel-types. Trick is helpful if there is a physical sweeper that has set up and I need to cripple it before it sweeps my team. I prefer not to use Trick because Latios with Choice Specs is very difficult to switch in on/wall.

Mew @ Leftovers
    Ability: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 HP / 196 Atk / 60 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Explosion
    - Heal Bell
    - U-turn
    - Superpower

Here is the gimmick set. While I really don't want to get rid of the biggest gimmick on the set, Explosion, I am open to any changes. Also I am aware that Leftovers + Explosion is slightly retarded, though it does help to have Mew in battle as long as possible before exploding. Heal Bell supports my team which hates status immensely. Superpower isn't a great move on Mew, but it does help with Steel-types which would otherwise completely wall this set and most of my team as well. While I think that having Explosion Mew and Specs Latios run contrary to the idea of a stall team, I think they are fairly unpredictable and I have had a good deal of success late game with both Pokemon.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Give Garchomp Stealth Rock. It's still going to eat Pixilated Hyper Voices even if a Substitute is up.

Use a Bold nature with 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef on Clefable to give it more bulk to handle physical attackers. Calm Mind will cover the special stats anyway.

You could give Ferrothorn Spikes over Stealth Rock, since the Stealth Rock role is already fulfilled.

Care to expand on Explosion Mew? I don't see the merit of Explosion unless you're packing two or more setup attackers.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    Give Garchomp Stealth Rock. It's still going to eat Pixilated Hyper Voices even if a Substitute is up.

Use a Bold nature with 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef on Clefable to give it more bulk to handle physical attackers. Calm Mind will cover the special stats anyway.

You could give Ferrothorn Spikes over Stealth Rock, since the Stealth Rock role is already fulfilled.

Care to expand on Explosion Mew? I don't see the merit of Explosion unless you're packing two or more setup attackers.

I will definitely test out SR on Garchomp and Spikes on Ferrothorn. I wish Ferrothorn learned Rapid Spin because I would totally just do that on Ferrothorn instead. Fortunately though none of my Pokemon are weak to Stealth Rock, I have Sableye to attempt to bounce SR back on the opponent, and two of those that don't resist it have reliable recovery moves.

Explosion Mew is gimmicky, but has come in handy. Check out this battle where Starmie was almost certainly about to stall out my Mew, leaving the way for Latios to come in and finish off Breloom (otherwise Latios would have been locked into a move, unable to switch out, and probably wouldn't have been able to KO both Starmie and Breloom with the same move). Skip to turn 28-32. If you view any of the earlier part of the battle pls ignore the horrible battling when the opponent's Magnezone was on the field lol. So yea, it's certainly gimmicky, but it has been useful in specific situations.

I think it is a fairly good team based on its use so far. Though I will concede many of the teams on the Smogon ladder are poorly constructed, so it's likely I am comparing it against a flawed metric. I will test the changes you suggested and see what I think.

Another infuriating replay

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I suggest Gyro Ball > SR on Ferro and SR > Sub on Chomp. At least that gives you another emergency check for Mega Gardevoir. edit: You could also try Protect > SR and Leftovers on Ferro and abuse Leech Seed damage. TWave cripples Gardevoir anyway so it's not too critical to add Gyro Ball.

Clef seems really weird. The main purpose of Unaware Clef is to be a stop to strong set-up sweepers like Garchomp, but it can't accomplish this without a lot of Def EVs. Clef doesn't benefit much from SAtk EVs since it has to rely on CM in order to sweep. Agreeing with PlatDude, use 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe @ Bold. I also think Moonlight is generally awful since Clef needs to heal A Lot, but maybe battles end quickly enough with this team for it to be decent. Nonetheless I prefer MB / Wish / Protect / CM.

Use 32 Spe EVs on Mew to outrun Adamant Bisharp and Jolly Tyranitar.

Last edited:
    Back