• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Drones (Muse)

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
  • MuseDronesCover.jpg

Muse's new album Drones was released in the last few days! It's had some pretty positive critical reception so far, but what do you guys think of it? How does it compare to Muse's previous albums? Favourite/least favourite tracks? gogogogogo

Years
  • I listened to a couple of tracks from this album, and seriously it's a really epic album with very heavy guitar riffs and Matt Bellamy's stunning vocals absolutely deliver with his signature high notes.

Absolute highlights for me included Mercy, The Handler and Reapers (that one in particular made me want to turn it up loud), but pretty much every track gives you the feels. I was pretty so-so in opinion regarding their past couple of albums (The 2nd Law was not that great to be honest) so it's nice to see them return to the sound of their early days. Definitely exceeded all expectations and seriously, if you're debating on getting this album or not I'd definitely recommend it if you're a fan of the early hardcore-sounding Muse. It'll go down as one of their best albums from my view of things.

I really love the album artwork as well. Don't know why, but I just love it okay.

Abby

#freecoffee
    Years
  • I'm in agreement. This album is definatly one of, if not the finest work they've produced. Favourite song? Has to be Mercy for me, I just love it. Don't get me wrong, I love all the other songs too, just mercy is AMAZING! Unfortunately, I cant buy the album, as I dont gave any money, but i would definately reccomend it, I really wish I could.

Years
  • 1. Reapers - 10/10 (Perfect)
    This is quintessential Muse! Beautiful and crisp guitar runs matched with Bellamy's amazing falsetto. My new favorite Muse song...and that's saying a lot give their previous work.

2. Handler - 10/10 (Perfect)
    This song makes you feel like a badass! There are elements of typical Muse, but the music feels evolved and distinct from previous work.

3. Mercy - 10/10 (Perfect)
    Probably the best lyrics and I love the upbeat piano accompanied by the punching drum-line. Many are making Starlight comparisons, but I think beyond the piano it's distinctive as a track.

4. Dead Inside - 9/10 (Amazing)
    Next Bond theme song! Maybe a bit overproduced that I would like, but I love the cohesion of the heavy bass + drumbeat clashing with Bellamy's falsetto. Probably the best lyrics and I love the bridge in particular.

5. Psycho - 8.5/10 (Great)
    I love it, but I am not a big fan of the shouting drill sergeant and some of the riffs are unoriginal/recycled/typical. But, despite not being a masterpiece of originality, the track definitely is a go-to to jam out to.

6. Defector - 8/10 (Great)
    I don't think it is a stand out, but I loved some of the instrumentals particularly the eery guitar rifts near the end. The Queen-like chorus is also fun.

7. Revolt - 7.5/10 (good)
    It's not bad. A catchy tune, but not my favorite of the album.

8. Everything after - 4/10 (Poor)
    Aftermath - I usually don't like when Muse tries to go for slow and contemplative songs that end up bordering on cheesy grandiosity. This one actually kind of works. and is relaxing and has appropriate build up, though I don't think it has completely escaped the cheesiness comletely.
    Globalist - Like the second law, the symphonic grandiosity does elevate to a level of silliness is reminiscent of the 2nd law despite the beautiful execution. The music feels disjoint and overindulgent with trying to profound and contemplative. That piano + strings combo is literally the same as
    Drones -I think it would have worked if Globalist wasn't preceding it. It serves as a closer, but maybe if the aftermath was tweaked it could have been a decent closer.

Showbiz - 8.5/10
    Origin of Symmetry - 9.5/10
    Absolution - 10/10
    Black Holes and Revelations - 10/10
    The Resistance - 6/10
    The 2nd Law - 5/10
    Drones - 9/10

Overall, I love this album.

Sir Codin

I haven't paid attention to Muse since The Resistance. Good album, but then I listened to The 2nd Law and was all "fuck is this???" and largely ignored the band afterward.

Shame too, they were the only alternative rock band I actually liked.

Back