• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

California State University to Offer Segregated Housing to Black Students

Years
  • You could argue that, but the article is reporting that a university spokesperson came out and said that the dorms were open to everybody, literally in quotes. Are you suggesting that the NYT misquoted the university? Note that the OP article claims that the dorms were segregated, but had no quote from any source saying that those dorms were for Blacks only, or that the students to be living there would be somehow separate from the rest of the student body. Claiming that any institution is "segregated" is kind of a big deal, and if there's no evidence to back that up, then such a claim is purely inflammatory and highly biased. If we're talking about the relative bias of the OP and the NYT article, then the OP article is more biased since they're making big claims without anything to back it up.
    While I agree with what you said I do not agree with this policy unless it is implemented for all cultures because doing it for one and not others suggests a bias to an outsider as well as raises concerns I mentioned above. This policy does little to advance the cause of equality and diversity if applied only to African American culture.

Years
  • While I agree with what you said I do not agree with this policy unless it is implemented for all cultures because doing it for one and not others suggests a bias to an outsider as well as raises concerns I mentioned above. This policy does little to advance the cause of equality and diversity if applied only to African American culture.

Fair enough, but honestly I don't think the policy was implemented because of equality and diversity per se. Most likely there was enough student feedback that signalled a demand for a Black space. These kinds of things in general, I find to be dependent on the amount of people who advocate for it.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Yea this kind of stuff just depresses me to no end -_- I know it's just people willfully segregating themselves, and it's not as bad as the days where segregation was legally enforced, but segregation is segregation, regardless of whether it's self-imposed or externally imposed. It just reinforces the idea that we're so much different and that our race defines who we are as a person, which is really at the root of all the race problems we have in our society today (at least as far as I see it).

And if people are doing this as a result of having faced discrimination, then really, isn't it really just forced discrimination like before? By going off and keeping themselves separated and "sticking with their own kind", aren't they essentially giving the discriminators exactly what they want? If the civil rights leaders who came before us were able to stand up to actual legally enforced Jim Crow discrimination, then surely we can stand up to whatever is happening on college campuses today?

Back