• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pokemon of the Week #9: Tepig

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
498.png

Tepig is the Fire-type starter of Unova, received from Professor Juniper! It's an adorable little piggy that can be quite sturdy in battle, dealing major damage with its attacks. It evolves to Pignite (gaining the Fighting-type) at level 17, and its final form Emboar is achieved at level 36.

Moves Learned via Leveling Up:
--Tackle
3 Tail Whip
7 Ember
9 Odor Sleuth
13 Defense Curl
15 Flame Charge
19 Smog
21 Rollout
25 Take Down
27 Heat Crash
31 Assurance
33 Flamethrower
37 Head Smash
39 Roar
43 Flare Blitz

Discussion topics: What did you think of Tepig and its evolution? Did you mind having another Fire/Fighting starter? What were the advantages and disadvantages of using Tepig and its evolutions in battle? Feel free to add any other thoughts!

Years
And now we round out the Unova starter trio with this entry...

Anyways, I find Tepig adorable while most view it as a mixed bag, especially with being the third Fire starter in a row that gains Fighting-type. Not that I have a problem with it, and while Blaziken and Infernape still heavily outclass it, it still has some decent competitive usability with Reckless and the good selection of recoil moves like Flare Blitz and Wild Charge.

Tepig's line is useful in regards to being a heavy-hitter, the only real downside is it being slower and more frail than its Unova starter brethren.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I think Tepig is adorable and then it just gets...progressively worse. :( I don't think I've finished Unova even once (and believe me, I've played it a lot) using that thing. I just...idk. It bores (boars?!) me. It's probably because it's yet another Fire/Fighting starter, but I just can't get into it. Sorry, piggy. :(

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I'm the same as Ludger. I adore Tepig. It's cute, I like it, and I really wish I could use it. But its evolutions are just...not any of my favorite designs. Pignite isn't horrible, but Emboar is not a Pokemon I want to look at forever on my team.

I'm really hoping that it isn't my starter in my Fifth Gen Nuzlockes.

Back