• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon is going downhill

Do you think pokemon games are going downhill?

• yes

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • no

Votes: 51 76.1%

• Total voters

Guest123_x1

I've said it before elsewhere and I'll say it again here-virtually all media franchises eventually peak and go downhill from there (and no, I'm not saying this because I'm a Genwunner. I'm saying this because it's the truth.)

As for gyms being "removed" in Sun/Moon, I have this fear that the change could permanently break the franchise as we know it. Then again, I'm sure Game Freak feels this change is necessary to keep the main series fresh and innovative, especially in the face of competition such as Yo-Kai Watch.
    By the same token, I have to wonder how the Super Mario series is hanging in there, given that the majority of its entries have essentially the same gameplay and plot-stomp on Goombas and Koopa Troopas and jump over bottomless pits through several "worlds" to rescue Princess Peach from Bowser. Probably explains why the gaming press is pushing Nintendo as a whole into irrelevancy, especially because of the Wii U.

Major changes to any popular media franchise are difficult to accept. Just ask viewers of the American version of The Price is Right, some of who got very sore over the 2008 firing of longtime producer Roger Dobkowitz, (who had been with that show since the current CBS version premiered in 1972), which was done in order to "take the show in a new direction".

In hindsight, though, the Island Challenges strike me as bearing some resemblance to what Ash had to do in the anime's Orange Islands saga.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2017
    I don't see it as that big of a deal, aren't online battles enough? I mean, they're cool features, but still. And the 3D games have quite a lot of features anyways and Alola Forms are a touchy subject, I personally love them.

No.. BF is still a different challenge than online competitive that to me isn't fair sometimes,
    do you want to have less contents/features in the games?..

AceTheHanyou

ShakeTheHanyou
    Years
  • Hmmmm interesting....
    My opinion is yes... Pokemon is going downhill.
    However, it's going downhill to set the table for something big.
    Gen 7 will be pure trash.
    ...Trash
    Alola forms? Really? An Ice version of SANDshrew. A long neck, palm tree. Marowak becoming a ghost.
    Then the new pokemon designs... are horrid. The starters have soooo much potential, they better not mess it up. Most likely they wont. But the other designs are horrible, we have a sandcastle pokemon. bruhhhhhh. I thought Trubbish was garbage (get it, lol). The Donald Trump rat pokemon. The half shaven bear, and the knockoff pikachu(s). The Legendary are f'in sweet! SWEEETTTNESSSS.
    Now Im hearing that Sun and Moon wont feature gyms. WHAT? (Insert Russ Westbrook meme) Im done.
    However, Nintendo has announced a Pokemon game for the Upcoming Nintendo NX.
    Pokemon Colossuem and XD x100, pretty much. So i'm looking forward to it.
    This game will be Pokemon's savior. As Sun and Moon will be the end of Pokemon on Handheld systems.

AceTheHanyou

ShakeTheHanyou
    Years
  • Hmmmm interesting....
    My opinion is yes... Pokemon is going downhill.
    However, it's going downhill to set the table for something big.
    Gen 7 will be pure trash.
    ...Trash
    Alola forms? Really? An Ice version of SANDshrew. A long neck, palm tree. Marowak becoming a ghost.
    Then the new pokemon designs... are horrid. The starters have soooo much potential, they better not mess it up. Most likely they wont. But the other designs are horrible, we have a sandcastle pokemon. bruhhhhhh. I thought Trubbish was garbage (get it, lol). The Donald Trump rat pokemon. The half shaven bear, and the knockoff pikachu(s). The Legendary are f'in sweet! SWEEETTTNESSSS.
    Now Im hearing that Sun and Moon wont feature gyms. WHAT? (Insert Russ Westbrook meme) Im done.
    However, Nintendo has announced a Pokemon game for the Upcoming Nintendo NX.
    Pokemon Colossuem and XD x100, pretty much. So i'm looking forward to it.
    This game will be Pokemon's savior. As Sun and Moon will be the end of Pokemon on Handheld systems.

danny_moon

Pikachu
    Years
  • I think it's just like what Flappy Bird did. Rocket for a month an then go down. Anw, this game is just a revolution, it's more than a game, it's gymnastics. I like this a lot.

Kabocha❤

Feeling sleepy...
    Years
  • I actually don't like Solgaleo and Lunala, they look like yugioh monsters a bit. Gumshoos doesn't have anything to do with Donald Trump, it's based off of gumshoes which are a type of detectives an honestly, I don't see why people care about gyms so much.

Years
  • I don't see why people care about gyms so much.

It's because Gyms have been part of Pokemon for a very long time, but as Otter Mii-kun said Pokemon has been doing a lot of fresh and innovative ideas as of late, especially considering it's facing serious competition from franchises such as Yo-Kai Watch which has been Pokemon's main rival franchise in the past couple years.

Don't judge the game too much before playing it. You've only seen bits and pieces.

This person is right - don't judge Sun & Moon until you've played it. It'll have potential to be the best Pokemon game yet, and we're only just getting teased at what it could bring.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Oops. I accidentally voted the games are going downhill.

Generation VI wasn't exactly the best Generation, but I have lots of hope that Sun and Moon will be Game Freak's magnum opus. Let's see here... Awesome Pokémon designs, interesting forms, a much more interesting villainous team, a nonstandard Pokémon League, Battle Royals, IV Training, and lots more. Your argument is invalid.

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
  • They're sort of going downhill. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the newer Pokemon designs, though some of them are good. Agree with the OP on the Alolan forms, they're pretty lazy. A new feature for the sake of having a new feature.
    But the gameplay and graphics themselves have gotten better with every gen and gen 7 will probably be even better.
    I didn't vote in the poll, didn't want to take a strong position in either direction.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Another thing that makes Generation VII great? COMPATIBILITY WITH THE FIRST POKÉMON GAMES.

Wait-

Oh! That's why the only Alola Forms belong to Kanto Pokémon!

Last edited:

Denrew

Pokémon Fan
    Years
  • I don't think that Pokémon is going downhill. I'll try to make this short and simple.

I just got back playing Pokémon months ago (XY/ORAS) solely because I saw and
    read the news about Pokémon Sun and Moon (and it was a huge blast for me and
    ended up having the feeling of playing Pokémon again) and so far, most of the group
    I joined in got the same reason as I. Not to mention that there are also members
    who have been continuously playing ages ago before us and waiting for the Sun
    and Moon.

The point that we are still discussing this makes me think that Pokémon is still
    doing well because despite the fact that people got disappointed of the previous
    gens, (and the upcoming SM) most of you still play the game and hoping (probably)
    that the next installment will have something amazing to offer.

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
  • The pokémon games going downhill? Not in my opinion.

People have been complaining about this since the release of R/S/E. And some even since the release of G/S/C. There's always people not being content with the new stuff and complaining that the pokemon don't look like pokemon anymore etc...

In my opinion, generation 4 was actually the worst and the games have been getting beter ever since then. I absolutely love the majority of the released gen 7 pokémon and I think Alolan formes is one of the best things the series has brought us.

There's no problem with you disliking these new games, however there is a problem with you pretending that your opinions are actually facts by saying this "People stop accepting anything and denying the bad things..".

As I said, I thought the majority of gen 4 (well, the Sinnoh games) were trash. That doesn't mean that's a fact, there's a lot of people who enjoyed these games a lot and call them their favorites.

Maybe you're just growing out of the series. Or you want rehashes of the old games. Well then replay the older game and ignore this generation entirely.

abarai

Howl, Zabimaru !
    Years
  • The games are easy?.
    Yes, they always have been easy ever since gen 1. These games are supposed to be playable for younger audiences aswell.
    You want more of a challenge, perhaps try the competitive scene.

Personally i like alot of the sun and moon designs so far. Do not think series is going downhill at all.

クリスタル

The Pokemon Observer
    Years
  • A little interesting article for a food of thought on LinkedIn:

ttps://www.linkedin.com/pulse/pokémon-going-gone-jonathan-meiri?trk=pulse-det-nav_art
    notice the missing h in beginning for the sake of forum rule.

(Sorry for breaking the forum rule of do not posting link, but I had no help but to do so because this is technical article on professional website not easily searchable if one don't know any keywords)

KingJay

That Guy
    Years
  • I think Black and White marked pokemon starting to go down hill overall, but it's a slow decline. I have some faith in Sun and Moon though.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2017
    type: null
    this is turning to yugioh
    these newer designs are going to give me heart problems.

I think Black and White marked pokemon starting to go down hill overall, but it's a slow decline. I have some faith in Sun and Moon though.

BW had the best story in any pokemon game ever for me B2W2 marked it(because they returned into the same old boring story) but it still was great, I don't think we should compare most of these new pokemon to gen 5's or 6, they're outrageous, absolute garbage..

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    I think Black and White marked pokemon starting to go down hill overall, but it's a slow decline. I have some faith in Sun and Moon though.

Agree 100%, the series has been straying too far from the direction it took for gens 2-4, which I feel is when it was at its best

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
  • People have been declaring the demise of Pokémon since Gen II. ^^ Just goes to show we all experience this franchise in different ways. My own love for Pokémon has definitely fluctuated through the years. Some creative decisions repelled me, some drew me back in.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2016
    I'm thrilled with where it's headed. The game s just seem to get better and better and I'm constantly impressed with each new game.

Back