• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you ever not evolve your Pokémon?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • title. what pokémon and and why.

Pretty sure I've never done this, not even to learn moves earlier. I don't really know why that mechanic is in the game tbh, but I never remember it so I don't really bother. I definitely see that as the big reason you would want to keep something from evolving though. That and cuteness.

And the Eviolite thingy I suppose.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I never stop my Pokemon from evolving since they mostly have good enough moves anyway, so I don't need to stop one from evolving until they learn a move at an earlier level.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I always let my Pokemon evolve to their final stage regardless. I guess I feel like they're incomplete if they haven't fully evolved? Idk, I'm probably personally just so used to evolving them to their final stages so to go against that would feel wrong.

Linyit

yaaay :3
    Years
  • I always let my Pokemon evolve to their final stage regardless. I guess I feel like they're incomplete if they haven't fully evolved? Idk, I'm probably personally just so used to evolving them to their final stages so to go against that would feel wrong.

Same thing with me. I feel like they're incomplete, too, when not evolved. That's why I still have problems with Magmortar, because I like Magmar so much, but it feels so wrong when not evolving it. (Magmortar still awesome tho)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I've stuck Petilil with an Eviolite and made it through the game just fine, so hey.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    In Black 2 I have a Magmar and a Magenton I don't plan on evolving, mainly because I prefer their gen 1 forms.

When I was breeding a male Kirlia I caught in Friend Safari with a female Misdreavus in order to get an Imprison/Perish Song Misdreavus I gave Kirlia an everstone because it learned Imprison at least 10 levels sooner then Gardevoir I believe.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Done it for two different reasons, one temporary, one permanent:

1) Temporary: To learn a move they won't if they evolve.
    2) Permanent: Living Dex.

Years
  • I stop my pokemon from evolving for shinies, if there is one I was going for that has it's first stage or second stage that I wanted shiny then I wouldn't evolve them further.

Years
  • Magnezone is an ugly Pokémon along with Rhyperior. I won't ever evolve either and would prefer to just trade rather than put my Pokémon through such humiliation just for the sake of completing the Pokédex.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • Depending on the team I'm playing, I might evolve them, I may not.

With some Pokemon for me are just too hard to decide to evolve or not (especially some cute ones such as Eevee, Zorua, Purrloin, or Litleo), I'm always stuck in that difficult decision

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    In terms of shinies I usually don't evolve the first of a species I get to the final stage. I usually only evolve the duplicates. The only Pokemon shinies I evolved as soon as I got them were Kakuna and two Poliwag's. Eventually I got a Poliwhirl that will stay a Poliwhirl though.

Obviously I have a living dex and I have one of every non legendary Pokemon at this point that won't be evolved.

Log

It's your boy Guzma!
    Years
  • I usually choose to not evolve a Pokemon if I prefer their designs prior to final stage, like for example, Whirlipede. Scolipede is cool, but the wheel-like appearance appeals to me much more, so I finished Black without evolving it.

The other reason is just so my Pokemon would learn moves they couldn't in their latter stages.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I always evolve my mons, regardless if I prefer the pre-evo(and there aren't that many lines where that is the case anyway). I always evolve them as like others said they feel 'incomplete' if I don't evolve them.

Years
  • I've never not evolved a Pokemon, merely delayed the evolution sometimes. The most recent example is Munna in White, which I waited to evolve until it learned Psychic. As cute as some Pokemon are, I can never resist evolving them.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • In my teams, only one. Piplup, as I strongly dislike it's evolutions. Still managed to defeat the Elite 4 with the rest of my team doing most of the hit-taking.

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
  • In HGSS I never evolved Poliwag because it looked adorable following me around in its little overworld sprite. :3

Last edited:

Guest123_x1

For most evolvable Pokémon, it depends on how they evolve when it comes to my decision to evolve them:

*For most level-up Pokémon, I let them evolve once they hit the minimum level required to trigger an evolution 99% of the time. Similar story goes for level up with high friendship-as soon as they become eligible to evolve based on having high enough friendship, I let them evolve. One exception was in Blue back in the early 2000s, when I had a Meowth on my team and refused to let it evolve until it was probably well into the 40s or maybe low 50s.

*Stone evolution: Generally, I wait until the previous form learns its last good level-up move, since at least back in the earliest generations, Pokémon that were evolved with stones lost the rest of their level-up learn set that their previous forms could have.

*Trade: I almost never get the opportunity to trade, and I have no idea how to use the Global Trade Station in Generation VI. Last time I did a trade-to-evolve, it was between my Blue and Yellow both connected to the first Pokémon Stadium via transfer paks. Back during that period, the only other trade opportunities I had were with my cousin, although I would link my Game Boy Color with his, I would sometimes trade between two of my own games, including using the Time Capsule feature in G/S/C.

Back