• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luphinid Silnaek

MAGNEMITE.
Years
  • How nice. I missed all the fun. Aren't time-zones just lovely?

Have YOU ever written/read and enjoyed a fic in script format?
    My god, put a subject in that sentence before someone sees. Now it sounds like an Uncle Sam advertisement. I don't like what this fandom has done with the script format, having reduced a play (or any modern equivalent) to a lowly badly-acted comedy skit, and consequently I haven't read a script fiction I truly enjoyed, and neither written it. I'm sure if it was taken more seriously and given credit for anything more than violent gags, it could be done well like any other format.

What are your thoughts on "muses"? Have you ever used/seen them used? Up to what point are they acceptable.
    For the sake of development, perhaps as an exercise, I'm sure they would facilitate well. If a character can be seen as an interactive sentient construct it would be marvellous. I don't see, however, why one should share these with the general reader public, and it seems even more pointless to begin using muses for the sole purpose of exhibition. They shouldn't be allowed onstage in a serious work.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Jaxxxy (three x') x Oni x Scythey x Asty x Phany x Thesis and his many blasphemic names x Alter ego x The stupid Gummy bear x this random silver person x Baybaybaybaybaybay x Turtleking x Lashy (ogod) x mewthree(random fandom!) x Saff x Sike x Jaxxy (owait, already said him xD) x bobandbill (mirror b!!) x DP479 (Quality Inn!!!) x this luphinid person x DP-Chan x fanfiction x Guest x parody one-shot x John Paul x Andy x Angel
    You can't have me without the hotel chain that's saved my neck countless times and only let me down once!

Have ever written/read and enjoyed a fic in script format?
    I've read a few. The only one I found entertaining was Divinity's, though calling that a proper script fic is pushing the envelope. Unfortunately, I think asking for an Arthur Miller-quality script fic from the Pokemon fandom may be asking too much...

What are your thoughts on "muses"? Have you ever used/seen them used? Up to what point are they acceptable?
    I've seen them in reviews, and they drive me up the wall. Honestly, they're an attempt to pad a review with pointless drivel that tries (and ultimately fails) to elicit even a smile or chuckle. Maybe someone can use them to an effect that's amusing instead of annoying, but I haven't seen it.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • What are your thoughts on "muses"? Have you ever used/seen them used? Up to what point are they acceptable?
    I find them una-muse-ing *shot*.
    It's basically annoying to see someone post in reviews or author notes (i.e. begging for reviews) with multiple sprites shouting at each other... one rathers a proper review is given rather than something that borders on - and sometimes is - spam.

If they are done without being annoying and not-funny-ly, I guess they are ok, but I need to see that happen first...

Golden Riolu

Finally Back
    Years
  • What are your thoughts on "muses"? Have you ever used/seen them used? Up to what point are they acceptable?

My muse is someone very special to me, someone who I love with all my heart, someone who unfortunately doesn't exist in the physical world. I've caused quite a bit of controversy on various forums by mentioning him, so I won't dare speak his name. Bobandbill knows who he is. He used to appear in my reviews, but I just quit using him because it seemed rather pointless.

I tend to avoid them like I usually avoid parodies (although I have read a few parodies, but only when the mood takes me). No, I've never read a fic in script format.

~Golden

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years

I've only ever seen them used in reviews, although perhaps if you were writing Greek fanfiction...

My views on their use in reviews/responses to reviews can be summed up by the sentence, "Nobody cares about the imaginary people/things you claim to have living in your head."

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Have ever written/read and enjoyed a fic in script format?

I've never written a fan fic in that format, but I have written scripts. I tend not to enjoy fics that are written like that. It just irks me.

Saffire Persian

Feline of Light and Shadow
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Utah
    • Seen Nov 7, 2011
    Loungeshipping.. I'd say something, but I won't.

Never have and likely never will. XD I have read script fics, but they aren't my thing, personally. I like "stuff" in between that dialogue, thank you very much.

What are your thoughts on "muses"? Have you ever used/seen them used? Up to what point are they acceptable?

Depends on context. I've seen them used in the author's note section and stuff. And I'd say their acceptable up to the point that they become annoying. There, problem solved.

Caterpie Muse: SQUUUUEEEEE

Luphinid Silnaek

MAGNEMITE.
    Years
  • Resistance is futile. The urge to add infinite nesting is... too strong... Also, I don't like how my name is introduced.

Jaxxxy (three x') x Oni x Scythey x Asty x Phany x Thesis and his many blasphemic names x Alter ego x The stupid Gummy bear x this random silver person x Baybaybaybaybaybay x Turtleking x Lashy (ogod) x mewthree(random fandom!) x Saff x Sike x Jaxxy (owait, already said him xD) x bobandbill (mirror b!!) x DP479 (Quality Inn!!!) x the Legendary, Famous, Inhumanly Skilled, and Intensely Profitable to Befriend Luphinid Remana Silnaek x DP-Chan x fanfiction x Guest x parody one-shot x John Paul x Andy x Angel x this list

There. Now no infidel machine can write this ship!

What aspect of writing takes higher precedence in your mind: storytelling or the process itself? Would there be any meaning to a fiction without readers or reviews?
    I prefer the process over the communication (ideally, of course). I have a habit of becoming very attached to the storytelling part, but this does not adhere with my philosophy. I feel that the marvel of writing, as of intellectual science, is the process of creation itself, and so writing should be applied to the moral tenets of creation: being an individual work with the least undertones of outside (disruptive) influences and things along that vein. (I just made these tenets up. I mean to say, I recognize them, but I don't think they are widely accepted or even known.) Anyway, coming back to the point, sharing it with others does indeed invite outside influence, which may be helpful but certainly does not make the effort completely your own. For these reasons I like to write not to share but to write, for its own sake.

I'm sure people are getting tired of my random philosophical rambling.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • There. Now no infidel machine can write this ship!

Well, if we wrote it as a gangraping of the Legendary, Famous, Inhumanly Skilled, and Intensely Profitable to Befriend Luphinid Remana Silnaek, I think we can still pull it off.

What aspect of writing takes higher precedence in your mind: storytelling or the process itself? Would there be any meaning to a fiction without readers or reviews?

You know, I don't think there's much of a difference between storytelling and the process. If you're writing down a story, you're still actually going through the storytelling process, even if there's no audience listening to what you have to say. Would there be any meaning? I think so. Even if you don't share your story with anyone else, there's still one person you're entertaining: yourself.

Luphinid Silnaek

MAGNEMITE.
    Years
  • Ah, excuse my egotism. It's an inside joke which one could get if one read some of the later chapters of Aftershock. Also, I laugh at the idea of a machine made for the sole purpose of writing fictions, but wonder how it might work. There would be an internal cause-and-effect prediction program, something to write down given data in flowery and heuristic ways, and specific calculated resolution files. It would have to be supplied a beginning setting, though, or otherwise it would have to be sentient (it would have to be a human).

You know, I don't think there's much of a difference between storytelling and the process. If you're writing down a story, you're still actually going through the storytelling process, even if there's no audience listening to what you have to say. Would there be any meaning? I think so. Even if you don't share your story with anyone else, there's still one person you're entertaining: yourself.

That's an interesting way of perception. I've always seen conception of a fiction as conception, and the writing process as a simple chronicling or definition. I suppose this is one of those things which says a lot about the writer's style of thinking and writing.

OH MY GOD THE SPAMMY DIGRESSION IS BIGGER THAN THE ON-TOPIC PARAGRAPH I HAVE BETRAYED MYSELF

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Ah, excuse my egotism.

Oh, no need to apologize. I wasn't pointing out any egotism. Just poking fun at the idea of not being able to write it, especially given Rule 34.

That's an interesting way of perception. I've always seen conception of a fiction as conception, and the writing process as a simple chronicling or definition.

First off, thanks. Second, yeah, if you word it like that, there's a difference, but I personally feel that storytelling, given the latter part of the word, is the act of telling a story, rather than just simply conceiving the story itself.

But I guess now I'm arguing syntax. ^_^;

Luphinid Silnaek

MAGNEMITE.
    Years
  • Oh, no need to apologize. I wasn't pointing out any egotism. Just poking fun at the idea of not being able to write it, especially given Rule 34.

I see. That makes much more sense, at least assuming Rule 34 is some sort of Asimovian programming code for machines.

But I guess now I'm arguing syntax. ^_^;

These are matters of perception, my good lady. I would suppose the process of writing to be the conception and writing, and storytelling to be the actual sharing-publishing. It seems to me your view of writing is somewhere in between that of lonely creation and social storytelling. Writing is done alone, but the audience or society is oneself. Of course, these are very ambiguous inferences.

Ambiguity rips my soul to shreds.

Bay

Years
  • What aspect of writing takes higher precedence in your mind: storytelling or the process itself? Would there be any meaning to a fiction without readers or reviews?

I'll mostly go with Luphinid's definition of the storytelling is the concept and writing and the process is letting the audience see. ^^

I guess I would say the process itself. I love the storytelling stage in which I plan and write out the story, but I would feel the excitement whenever I post my chapters to see how the audience would react to some situations in the story and also read their feedback that could help improve my stories.

And as for Rule 34 and the dealings with Loungeshipping....like I said before, the room is gonna cost us. XD

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    I think this has been asked, but:

When writing a fic, do you plan ahead what the topic of each chapter will be, or do you make it up as you go along?

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • I like the banner, TurtleKing.

When writing a fic, do you plan ahead what the topic of each chapter will be, or do you make it up as you go along?

I'm not sure if I answered this before but for my current fic, I have my chapters planed to up about Chapter Ten.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023

Plan ahead. That way you can get the plot and characters perfected, throw in whatever twists you want ect.

If you make it up as you go along it's just going to turn into some messed up instant improvisation.

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
    Years
  • When writing a fic, do you plan ahead what the topic of each chapter will be, or do you make it up as you go along?
    With my writing it is a mix: I know basically what should happen in each chapter as I come to it, and I always have an ending in mind and a driving theme shaping everything, but I never ever write it out on paper or make any solid outline :).

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • When writing a fic, do you plan ahead what the topic of each chapter will be, or do you make it up as you go along?
    Planned ahead, although sometimes I do make last minute changes. I like having the general framework for my fic already laid out so I know what I need to have happen in each chapter.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back